ADVERTISEMENT

What BT record would it take for Barta to axe Fran?

First off...to the poster above that listed volleyball as a disaster...it is not. That program is actually on the rise and they have a solid head coach.

Secondly, I get a kick out of people who use Fran's second round exit as proof of a job well done when, I believe it was the first or second week of February his team was sitting in position for a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Because of that collapse I'm not sure how anyone can classify that season as a "success". Especially in that second round matchup the game was over 10 minutes into the game.

Man everyone calm down. I am as unhappy about the current state of affairs as anybody, but I am not gonna get bent at Fran or Barta. It is what it is. I agree to a point about not firing after one bad season. The question for me is; How bad will this season get? Saturday was a bad bad beatdown at home. No way to sugar coat it. I also do not see a clear way forward. No ball handler coming in, etc. I am just perplexed that we can't seem to field a consistently competitive basketball team. Years of this crap and various other issues have eroded the fan base away a great deal from where it was in 1988. It started at the end of the Davis era and really has not recovered. I can remember the excitement in 79-82 and what great years those were. It seems like another universe now.

Lol. I know for a 100% fact that Gary Barta lied directly to me. All of your outrage and exclamation points won't change that fact to fiction.
Then state your NAME and the lie in detail. Otherwise, keep it off the boards. I know, I know, you wont!

Then state your NAME and the lie in detail. Otherwise, keep it off the boards. I know, I know, you wont!
Why do I need to prove anything to you? Who do you think you are? State YOUR NAME and explain why you think you get to make demands! I know, I know, you wont!

5 wins or less the next three years.

What?

What school in the country not named Iowa would this be acceptable?
Barring the commission of some heinous felony, Fran isn’t getting fired this season. Probably not next either.

This is Iowa not Kentucky (thank God). Expectations do not exceed our program’s ceiling which is — even considering only the B1G — comparably low. Fran is highly regarded in the coaching community for good reason. He’s a good coach. The University would look shortsighted and, frankly, out of touch if we fired him after one bad season.

He’s earned at least one bad season pass. Probably two. Deal with it.

8 years in and 2 first round wins...my expectations are higher than that and our fanbases' expectations should be higher than that. I know we arent Kentucky or Duke but we do have a good tradition here, facilities, fans, money. No reason we shouldnt be a regular top 25 team.

Reactions: Dauminator
Just curious, is this sort of year acceptable to you? What gives you confidence that Fran will turn the corner again?

This year? It’s a mulligan unless some sort irreversible issue comes to light. It sucks, but it’s happened to other good coaches. As mentioned, it would be less of an issue if his “good” seasons had been better, but NCAA wins aren’t exactly meaningless.

I don’t think fran is great. I have plenty of complaints. But you can’t look at the “year 8!!!” stuff in a vacuum. You have to assess what we would potentially be giving up vs who we could bring in.

That said, if you are going to make a change I would do it in February to get a head start and perhaps salvage the 2019 relationships.

From this day forward in my mind Fan's nickna, will be Mulligan :p

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
What?

What school in the country not named Iowa would this be acceptable?

8 years in and 2 first round wins...my expectations are higher than that and our fanbases' expectations should be higher than that. I know we arent Kentucky or Duke but we do have a good tradition here, facilities, fans, money. No reason we shouldnt be a regular top 25 team.

3 appearances in 5 years with two wins isn’t acceptable? Because we were in the gutter when he took over so I didn’t exactly have high expectations in years 1 and 2. Year 3 was a minor disappointment.

Reactions: bigsag
No chance Fran gets fired after this season. No matter if he goes 0fer from here on out. It will take multiple seasons of this kind of effort + half full CHA paid attendance. As long as Bend Over isn't losing too much money, he'll keep him. That's the gutless, incompetent AD we are stuck with.
Agreed. I truly think Barta gets a boner for the status quo.

You're the one claiming Fran's 5 year coaching record and I'm the retarded one? Fran was introduced as the head coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes on March 30, 2010.

Dude, he’s made three of the last five including this year. That was obvious to any non-idiot.

Wrestling is not mediocre

Volleyball is much better, in the toughest conference imaginable. Shymansky hire was lauded.

Kirk’s contract doesn’t ****ing matter unless he starts sucking and then he would retire. Just a straw man reason to bitch.

Heller, Hankins, Woody, Stith have been good to great hires. Tennis and rowing are also better.

It’s ridiculous to assume that he can’t make a good hire.
How is all that working out for Iowa in the Director’s Cup? How does Iowa stack up to the other Big 10 teams?

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
This year? It’s a mulligan unless some sort irreversible issue comes to light. It sucks, but it’s happened to other good coaches. As mentioned, it would be less of an issue if his “good” seasons had been better, but NCAA wins aren’t exactly meaningless.

I don’t think fran is great. I have plenty of complaints. But you can’t look at the “year 8!!!” stuff in a vacuum. You have to assess what we would potentially be giving up vs who we could bring in.

That said, if you are going to make a change I would do it in February to get a head start and perhaps salvage the 2019 relationships.
Ncaa wins? You mean win? 1 in 8 years. Excellent

I know and understand that you are a brave soul, but I do wonder if you would use this terminology to Mr. Barta's face?? Easy to use this kind of language while couch potatoe ing.
Indeed few of the critical fans know that Barta posseses some of the wickedest uppercuts among all AD's in the nation that can put to rest any tete-a-tete arguments by the daring critic.

Reactions: ISUhawk
Nice to see such rational thought.

I’m not even sold on Fran right now, but much of this board is convincing me to keep him just tonpiss everyone off.

Dude, he’s made three of the last five including this year. That was obvious to any non-idiot.
What's obvious to any non-idiot is that you cherry picked his record to make him look better....or your math sucks. If we are cherry picking numbers, how about 0 for the last 2 years - including this year? That's not so good, is it? If your math sucks, well...math is hard for some people. No shame in that. Probably less shame in shitty math than cherry pickers of stats.

Reactions: Mcbooger
Not to mention his outstanding conference

Not to mention his outstanding conference tourney record. Sign this man up for life!

To be fair, FM’s BTT record looks pretty good compared to any Iowa coach not named Steve Alford.

To the OP,.... Barta won't get the opportunity to fire Fran,... That job will fall to Barta's replacement.

Barta?, no he will be gone before that,.... Fran?, yeah, I think 7-8 years sounds about right....
Barta won't be gone unless he leaves voluntarily. If Fran is still here in 7-8 years posting similar results as this year....there won't be an Iowa basketball fan left.

I don’t know. I don’t care about some arbitrary scoring system that helps non revenue sports feel relevant.
And yet, you are touting Barta's "good to great" hires....for the non-revenue sports.

Just so you know: Iowa's athletics as a whole are one of the worst in the country, and consistently towards the bottom of the Big 10.

Well I'm sorry, but I find it sad that internet heroes such as yourself must denigrate a person while hiding behind the internet. But believe me, your bravery will be secure as it is for so many others. Congratulations on your honorable language btw. Good luck in your future pal.

You're a one-trick pony.

Only 2x to the field of 64.....losing the "play-in" game means you didnt get in, right? The way that team choked they shouldnt be considered an NCAA team other than by a technicality.

I don’t know. I don’t care about some arbitrary scoring system that helps non revenue sports feel relevant.
Volleyball is much better, in the toughest conference imaginable. Shymansky hire was lauded.

Kirk’s contract doesn’t ****ing matter unless he starts sucking and then he would retire. Just a straw man reason to bitch.

Heller, Hankins, Woody, Stith have been good to great hires. Tennis and rowing are also better.

It’s ridiculous to assume that he can’t make a good hire

^^^^^^^^^^^
LoL ok

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT