ADVERTISEMENT

What's with all the fighting?

BonzoFury

HR All-American
Feb 4, 2022
Seems like there's quite a bit more physical stuff breaking out in college basketball, especially the women's game. Anybody else noticed this? It can't simply be more exposure. I think there's a trend. Is it merely a reflection of society in general...bad officiating...coaching?

What say you?

I blame Public Schools.

But seriously I'm not sure but I like it. In my opinion I think the AAU circuit killed basketball watchability at least for me. Every player knows every player now and everyone is buddies or at least acts like buddies.

Basketball is WAY MORE FUN to watch when there is legitimate rivalry and hate. If the NBA was more like the old clips of Piston, Bulls, Celtics game I'd watch more. I am being 100% honest when I say I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of an NBA game in over 5 years.

I blame Public Schools.

But seriously I'm not sure but I like it. In my opinion I think the AAU circuit killed basketball watchability at least for me. Every player knows every player now and everyone is buddies or at least acts like buddies.

Basketball is WAY MORE FUN to watch when there is legitimate rivalry and hate. If the NBA was more like the old clips of Piston, Bulls, Celtics game I'd watch more. I am being 100% honest when I say I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of an NBA game in over 5 years.
I love the rivalries as well, but I'm speaking more about a general emergence of violence and fighting. I suggest it's an extension of culture in general. In recent years there's been an increasing rationalization of violent behavior. Well...if someone's mad enough about something they're justified. There are many who believe that and if you dare to disagree, somehow you are the bad guy (oppressor).

I blame Public Schools.

I don’t know, I’m not sure I agree with that. Not that you care, and I’ll confess some of it may just be, Jesus Christ, age, and my desire to be a better, kinder, less antagonistic person…as anyone can tell, I certainly know how to be an arse….🤓

But I don’t enjoy the hostility and vitriol I witnessed, while watching travel Soccer & B-ball. Others actions and my own!

I loved, absolutely loved watching my kids play and trying to be supportive to all the kids, on both teams, but it’s honestly taken on a life of its own and I’m not in love with its direction.

Seems like there's quite a bit more physical stuff breaking out in college basketball, especially the women's game. Anybody else noticed this? It can't simply be more exposure. I think there's a trend. Is it merely a reflection of society in general...bad officiating...coaching?

What say you?
Social media is turning people into assholes that are triggered easily….and don’t know how to control their emotions.

It's all about accountability. Accountability is compromised by money and ability to transfer.
Here we are.
That’s a good thought…if a player doesn’t like how he/she perceives they are being treated…it’s just easy to transfer elsewhere. It’s not really a good way to build character. Before it became so easy to just transfer, players had to work harder to improve to earn more playing time, etc.

I don’t know, I’m not sure I agree with that. Not that you care, and I’ll confess some of it may just be, Jesus Christ, age, and my desire to be a better, kinder, less antagonistic person…as anyone can tell, I certainly know how to be an arse….🤓

But I don’t enjoy the hostility and vitriol I witnessed, while watching travel Soccer & B-ball. Others actions and my own!

I loved, absolutely loved watching my kids play and trying to be supportive to all the kids, on both teams, but it’s honestly taken on a life of its own and I’m not in love with its direction.
I get that with kids but I'm talking about College and beyond. Quit acting like you like or respect your opponent. Shove, push, defend yourself, talk trash, and fight if you want.
I also moved a lot as a kid, got picked on a ton and fought a lot to make it stop. I may have a different mentality than most on this

Social media is turning people into assholes that are triggered easily….and don’t know how to control their emotions.
...and that have been told their feelings are the center of the world. I trace it back to around the turn of the century when opinion polls and live interviews went from "What do you think about...." to "How do you feel about....".

Last edited:
I disagree. Humility and modesty used to be much more common place. People have most definitely become more narcissistic...or at least a larger percentage of them are.
People used to be politely tolerant of what others thought and did as long as it didn't cross the boundary into their own existence. Now it's " If you don't believe and do things exactly as how I think and do things it's because your are stupid and I must destroy you at any and all cost."

Most of it is officiating, if looking for just "on the court" reasons. Not necessarily individual refs, but the general way that games are officiated.

Basketball is not meant to be a full contact sport. Yet instead, Power 6 - and higher mid-major - basketball is flat out rugby on the hardwood most nights. Its on Fran for not adjusting to things in his 14 years here, but that's part of the reason why he's never won a (regular season) conference crown or advanced past the first weekend in the Big Dance. Teams get physical and Iowa can't match it, at least not as a team.

And another part of the officiating that is leading to more fights/altercations is the inconsistency. A game is a called one way in one half, and then different in the other half. Also, when one team plays extra physical from the outset, and the other team stops backing down or trying to match that, they get called for fouls.

Of course you're gonna get frustrated, and then mad, when shit like that happens.

What say you?
I've been a public school teacher for 26 years. Inner-city school in Louisville, KY
I don't like when people blame the schools - we are trying our best and if you are not in the know, you don't know what goes on.
That being said - some of you have hit the nail on the head. We have at least 1-2 fights in school each week. 75% of them involve girls. In certain areas and cultures, this behavior is praised instead of frowned upon.
Not sure what it will take to sway the other way.

I love the rivalries as well, but I'm speaking more about a general emergence of violence and fighting. I suggest it's an extension of culture in general. In recent years there's been an increasing rationalization of violent behavior. Well...if someone's mad enough about something they're justified. There are many who believe that and if you dare to disagree, somehow you are the bad guy (oppressor).
There's no accountability anymore. A good player isn't going to be banned

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
We all need to look in the mirror.
Not really.

I haven't noticed any more pushing/shoving/trash talk than usual.
I agree with both of these. Any history book will show that we've always been a**holes to each other and social media certainly exposes that truth. But we can't really blame Twitter can we? I mean social media doesn't kill people, people kill people. I think @curtisj157 is the only one that loves everybody!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Refs do not get things under control earlier in the process. Then the tension builds until it is too late. Then the penalty phase is not enough. If fighting had the right enforcement behind it besides just missing one game, there would be a lot less fighting.

Other than that the players are acting out that in many ways reflects our current society. A bit of a free for all with very little leverage in the penalty.

I said last year after the women's finals. If someone ran after a player taunting like Reese did and also Clark in earlier games, someone would have gotten punched in the men's game. Back 30 years ago when I played, if you showed someone up, you were getting a tech. Now the refs would get slammed for not letting people express themselves.

I've been a public school teacher for 26 years. Inner-city school in Louisville, KY
I don't like when people blame the schools - we are trying our best and if you are not in the know, you don't know what goes on.
That being said - some of you have hit the nail on the head. We have at least 1-2 fights in school each week. 75% of them involve girls. In certain areas and cultures, this behavior is praised instead of frowned upon.
Not sure what it will take to sway the other way.
This country has lost it's morality over the years. Not sure we can get it back.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT