ADVERTISEMENT

When does Petras start getting looks?

Never said I did, you're the one claiming to know Stanley's better. No one knows what petras could possibly do because kf is loyal to veterans to a fault sometimes.

So then what makes you think a backup should start over a QB who will end his career as one of the best in Iowa history?

You were the one who was triggered and felt compelled to reply to my post.

For the record, I have seen both play in game and at open scrimmages. Stanley is better. That’s how I know.

You haven’t been saying that the past 2 years.

for good reason

Easley 530 yds ts 4 tds
Vandeberg 384 yds 2 tds
ISM 187 yds

Easley 494 yds 5 tds
ISM 361 yds 3 tds
Smith 361 yds 2 tds (startted to gain confidence at the end of the season)
Tracy 22 yds

2019 week 7
ISM 386 yds 3 tds
Smith 301 yds 4 tds
Ragaini 249 yds
Tracy 190 yds
Martin 28 yds 1 tds

for good reason

Easley 530 yds ts 4 tds
Vandeberg 384 yds 2 tds
ISM 187 yds

Easley 494 yds 5 tds
ISM 361 yds 3 tds
Smith 361 yds 2 tds (startted to gain confidence at the end of the season)
Tracy 22 yds

2019 week 7
ISM 386 yds 3 tds
Smith 301 yds 4 tds
Ragaini 249 yds
Tracy 190 yds
Martin 28 yds 1 tds

That’s great and all, but we are talking over Stanley’s career. Which is why I brought up the fact that you haven’t been saying that the past two years. Thanks for confirming.

DJK and McNutt were both better than anyone we currently have by the way.

That’s great and all, but we are talking over Stanley’s career. Which is why I brought up the fact that you haven’t been saying that the past two years. Thanks for confirming.

DJK and McNutt were both better than anyone we currently have by the way.

And if McNutt and DJK were so awesome, why didn't they make it to the League? McNutt specialized in high-pointing the ball and grabbing the ball away from defenders. Nothing to sneeze at for sure but he was an average P5 receiver in the bigger scheme of things. DJK ran good routes and was a competitor when he felt like it. He also had a propensity to drop the ball at inopportune moments. He was also one of the greatest dickheads to ever be part of the program. Quinn Early and Danan Hughes were head and shoulders better than either of them. I would argue they are recognized as being great receivers because of the way they were utilized.
Smith will leave here as an accomplished big-play receiver. Neither one of your guys would have made the catch he made the other night.
I stand by my assertion.

2012. They went 4-8. Vandenberg took every snap that season. It was GDGDs first season as OC. Vandenberg actually was pretty decent in 2011.
i might add we dropped 43 to 46 balls in 2012 . wiseman dropped a sure TD at the goal line and we probably beat iowa st .

99 out of 100? How about 55 out of 100? That is his completion % against the teams he has played with winning conference records. The reason people venerate Stanzi today (they didn't nearly as much back then) is that he found ways to win games. Stanley is 1-10 vs teams with winning records in conference play. The slant to McNutt on the last play to beat MSU. Stanley threw essentially the same pass three feet behind Smith last night. If he makes that throw, the entire complexion of the game changes.
I have actually defended Stanley at times. The Martin PI non-call last week was not his fault. He put that ball exactly where it needed to be. The OL has been abominable the last two weeks. That has not helped his cause. But too many times he makes poor decisions when he is not under duress.
He is QB until he graduates. I am not calling for Petras, Mansell, or Padilla. But he is the greatest factor between this team beng 7-5/8-4 or being in Indy in early December.
come on dude , that martin pass landed 10 ft out of bounds , clearly not catchable .

Apologies for the confusion. What I meant was a lack of meaningful in-game playing experience for Petras. With one more loss in Big Ten play, our goal of winning the West is more than likely demoralized. Why not give Spencer some meaningful reps during the backend of the season to better prepare him for next year?
Play to win even of you are 2-10.

Reactions: papabeef
And if McNutt and DJK were so awesome, why didn't they make it to the League? McNutt specialized in high-pointing the ball and grabbing the ball away from defenders. Nothing to sneeze at for sure but he was an average P5 receiver in the bigger scheme of things. DJK ran good routes and was a competitor when he felt like it. He also had a propensity to drop the ball at inopportune moments. He was also one of the greatest dickheads to ever be part of the program. Quinn Early and Danan Hughes were head and shoulders better than either of them. I would argue they are recognized as being great receivers because of the way they were utilized.
Smith will leave here as an accomplished big-play receiver. Neither one of your guys would have made the catch he made the other night.
I stand by my assertion.

DJK was a first team all-big ten receiver. He was a multi-year all-big ten receiver.

McNutt was the BIG receiver of the year, first team all-big ten and made all-American lists. He too was a multi-year all-big ten receiver. He also played in the NFL for 2 years and was known for having arguably the best hands of any WR in Iowa history. He regularly made one handed catches.

DJK and McNutt only combined for more than 5,400 receiving yards, 45 receiving touchdowns and 343 receptions in their time at Iowa. You can also add 1500+ kick return yards and a couple of return TD’s to DJKs numbers.

I love ISM and Brandon, but they are no DJK and McNutt. They will not come close to their production. They are literally thousands of yards, hundreds of receptions and many, many TDS away from them. DJK and Marvin are #1 and #2 in Iowa history. And like ISM and Brandon, played on the same team.

So when you guys try to say that Stanley has better receivers than Stanzi or even say they are comparable, you couldn’t be more wrong.

Last edited:
Even if it’s worded that way, Stanzi had more and better pass catchers.

Stanzi had a running game to support him and great defenses Soph/Jr years. Sophomore year he had Shonn Greene. Jr year it was Wegher/Robinson if memory serves me---not great, but a lot better running attack than Iowa has shown last 2 games. Senior year, Offense was great, defense turned into a sieve and they lost a lot of close games.

Reactions: GarryO37
Stanzi had a running game to support him and great defenses Soph/Jr years. Sophomore year he had Shonn Greene. Jr year it was Wegher/Robinson if memory serves me---not great, but a lot better running attack than Iowa has shown last 2 games. Senior year, Offense was great, defense turned into a sieve and they lost a lot of close games.

Agreed. I honestly can’t believe this is being questioned by some posters on this board.

Unfortunately our line play has been bad, therefore we need a QB who can move and make plays. He’s just not that guy. Our backup seems similar. I like the confident mobile QB but he will transfer and I don’t blame him.

With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

Do the right thing Kirk & Brian.
Next year, KF does not change things - it confuses him.

I will if you have something intelligent to say.
You said "he could complete 99 out of 100 passes....." Look at his completion percentage and watch him miss wide open crossing routes 5 yards down the field and you say I'm the one that hasn't said anything intelligent? LOL

Reactions: papabeef
With the season looking like 7-5, 8-4 - when do the Hawks start mixing in Spencer Petras to get some experience?

Can’t have Petras coming in cold next year. Now is the time to get him some reps with the majority of players he’ll be working with next year.

With the current play of the OL, I’d go with Mansell. At least he gives you a chance to scramble away from the pressure and maybe make some plays with his legs. I’m
afraid Petras would get pummeled,

Nate will not go down as a beloved Hawkeye QB because he has not had (and probably won't have) a special season. He has no signature road wins and is currently 10-11 in B1G games as a starter.

You said "he could complete 99 out of 100 passes....." Look at his completion percentage and watch him miss wide open crossing routes 5 yards down the field and you say I'm the one that hasn't said anything intelligent? LOL

Yes, I am saying you haven’t said anything intelligent.

Do you know what figuratively speaking is? You actually had a chance to say something of worth and you chose to prove you lack the ability to do so.

I stand by my assertion.
McNutt was not an average receiver.

come on dude , that martin pass landed 10 ft out of bounds , clearly not catchable .

It came from 30 yards away. It was on a downward trajectory. If he threw the ball directly at the receivers numbers, it would have landed twenty feet short of him. Gravity.

Yes, I am saying you haven’t said anything intelligent.

Do you know what figuratively speaking is? You actually had a chance to say something of worth and you chose to prove you lack the ability to do so.
I do. Do you know what literally means? Because Stanley literally couldn't.

Saban benched his starting QB who took them to the national championship. We can't give our backup and next years front runner snaps in a meaningless big ten west game?

Saban benched his starting QB who took them to the national championship. We can't give our backup and next years front runner snaps in a meaningless big ten west game?

He did get snaps in a meaningless Big Ten West game, and if Iowa blows out Illinois or another team he will get more snaps.

If we don't get Petras any meaningful reps this year, than KF has a built in excuse for another 7-5 record in 2020.

Better question is when will we start recruiting QBs that are arent statues

Surround a non-mobile Pocket Passer with a great OL,, great RBs, great WRs and you can still win a lot of games. USC did it with Matt Leinert. So far KF and BF have gotten the non-mobile Pocket Passer part checked off the list...still working on the rest.

It came from 30 yards away. It was on a downward trajectory. If he threw the ball directly at the receivers numbers, it would have landed twenty feet short of him. Gravity.
it was a good 5 ft over his head , just watched the replay .

Tua and Hurts were also neck-and-neck in the Alabama QB race. Petras, while talented, is probably not Nathan Stanley’s equal right now. Probably not even close. And even if he was, experience should win the day. I’m not sure what meaningless games you’re referring to. There’s no such thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT