ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, the Illini are cleaning upā€¦

Rambler Hawk

HR Legend
Oct 10, 2001
in the portal. šŸ™ Everytime I open my phone they have a new addition. It seems the Big Boys are playing musical chairs with all the talent. As many have already stated, Iowa basketball appears to be left out of the talent grabā€¦šŸ˜¬ Given our pre NIL success results, itā€™s really hard to be optimistic about the future of Iowa Basketballā€¦.šŸ„²

in the portal. šŸ™ Everytime I open my phone they have a new addition. It seems the Big Boys are playing musical chairs with all the talent. As many have already stated, Iowa basketball appears to be left out of the talent grabā€¦šŸ˜¬ Given our pre NIL success results, itā€™s really hard to be optimistic about the future of Iowa Basketballā€¦.šŸ„²
Now think about the Illinois football program.

If Iowa has to pick one of the two major sports to focus on, Iā€™m glad itā€™s football.

If Iowa has to pick one of the two major sports to focus on, Iā€™m glad itā€™s football.
As far as NIL goes we've basically decided we're a football school.

Reasonable decision....but sux for bball.

Wouldn't be surprised if womens bball ends up with the lions share of bball NIL.

I will never give any school one cent to pay ball players. The concept is corrupt as being used. Anyone who dares complain about the price of groceries, gasoline or housing but thinks the current NIL rules as practiced deserve support is one greatly conflicted and confused person.
Hopefully, tge will become the beginning of tge end of modern college sportsā€¦. We simply cannot afford the price tag.
A mediocre point guard demanding $500kā€¦an untried, unproven 19 yr old QB demanding $1-1.5 M for his services?
Iā€™m Charlie Finley hereā€¦.I understand there is a price for stardom but the price of mediocrity will bring the game/industry to its knees!

Illinois has been adding1 1-2 difference makersfrom Portal for awhile now.

Ohio State had $14 million dollar Football NIL budget last year, so we're not competitive in Football either.

The amount of money needed for Iowa men's B-ball NIL to be competitive isn't that big but NIL is big turnoff for iowa fans and we don't have agressive AD/coaching staffs for raising NIL money.. It is a positive feedback situation...worse we do in men's b-ball, the worse the NIL situation, and worse the NIL situation the worse we do in men's B-ball.

Its getting to the point where I'm considering going cold turkey and dropping my streaming sports package. No point to watch Iowa sports if they have no chance and it is made up of pro athletes anyway. The student-scholar and athletes graduating is no longer a thing in men's football/basketball.

Rutgers and Nebraska cleaning up too which I never thought we'd see. Sad times for basketball at Iowa.
Itā€™s time to pack up and head to Indianapolis with the rest of the family. No one wants to invest in NIL with the program being as apathetic as it is right now under Fran. Itā€™s time for new and fresh blood to lead the program.

I will never give any school one cent to pay ball players. The concept is corrupt as being used. Anyone who dares complain about the price of groceries, gasoline or housing but thinks the current NIL rules as practiced deserve support is one greatly conflicted and confused person.
Hopefully, tge will become the beginning of tge end of modern college sportsā€¦. We simply cannot afford the price tag.
A mediocre point guard demanding $500kā€¦an untried, unproven 19 yr old QB demanding $1-1.5 M for his services?
Iā€™m Charlie Finley hereā€¦.I understand there is a price for stardom but the price of mediocrity will bring the game/industry to its knees!
Fans pay enough. The schools should be paying the players as FTEā€™s to level the playing field. NCAA fumbled this in the name of greed.

Some schools just really like building almost exclusively from the portal nowadays. Of course schools with 5+ openings and multiple starting spots vacant are going to be more active in the portal than a schools like Iowa and Michigan State who supplement their rosters with 1 or 2 pieces.

Rutgers and Nebraska cleaning up too which I never thought we'd see. Sad times for basketball at Iowa.
I'm sure the Nebraska adds are nice kids, but a mediocre center from the Summit league that only had Minnesota as the only competition is whatever to me. Griffiths has potential, but shot 28% from 3 as a primary shooter and only averaged 5 points per game at Rutgers as a full time starter. Worster is a decent add, but again, he's a shooting guard who shot 27% from 3 which isn't a recipe for success in modern basketball. And again, Nebraska still has 4 more open scholarships even after adding 3 players--they're going to remain active in the portal just to be able to field a roster.

Some of y'all need to actually examine these players teams are adding instead of just panicking over every single addition. Iowa is going to land Thelwell. We have the visit with Hunter starting tomorrow to try and land a 2nd guard. Iowa is working the portal.

The good news is as I age, I will be spending less and less time watching college sports as the system deteriorates. I have no interest in watching the big boys buy everyone they want while teams like us are feeder programs.
I understand the argument that eventually folks will get tired of paying big bucks to their teams, but I'm not willing to wade through that period--if it ever happens.

The more Fran speaks (about the portal/NIL) the more he needs to be hereā€¦heā€™s the only sumbitch who gets it!
What we have now is insanity. And expensive insanity, too.
You're right that it is insanity. Unfortunately lawsuits have already been won that'll keep things as is. I'm not judging one way or another, but we either want a competitive NIL at Iowa to compete or we don't. If we don't have competitive NIL just know that Iowa sports will be pretty frustrating moving forward I'm afraid.

You're right that it is insanity. Unfortunately lawsuits have already been won that'll keep things as is. I'm not judging one way or another, but we either want a competitive NIL at Iowa to compete or we don't. If we don't have competitive NIL just know that Iowa sports will be pretty frustrating moving forward I'm afraid.
They are gonna do it without my $$. This bullshit is the ā€œline in the sandā€ for meā€¦itā€™s a phuquinā€™ā€™ game played by kids on a Saturday afternoonā€¦It already costs $200-300 and 8 hours a gameā€¦I believe my time can be better spentā€¦as my money.

Iā€™m Charlie Finley hereā€¦.I understand there is a price for stardom but the price of mediocrity will bring the game/industry to its knees
You donā€™t have any money anyway. You canā€™t even take care of yourself.

Bored The Office GIF

Or the future of college sports.

If the problem is we donā€™t have NIL money for basketball, then what coach is going to want to come here? Bitch all you want about Fran, but I think the bigger issue our lack of NIL.

The dude is 64 years old and his entire family is leaving or will be leaving IC in the next year. How will you ever get NIL support or recruit to a program that will be turning the page in a year or 2? The time to start over was after this season.

The good news is as I age, I will be spending less and less time watching college sports as the system deteriorates. I have no interest in watching the big boys buy everyone they want while teams like us are feeder programs.
I understand the argument that eventually folks will get tired of paying big bucks to their teams, but I'm not willing to wade through that period--if it ever happens.
I am a lot more optimistic about next year than I was this past year. If they stay healthy, Iowa will have a more complete line up than they have had, with no one using up a lot of playing time without contributing. Thelwell fills a huge hole, and gives us what seems to be an experienced true PG. If we can get another guard for depth and an experienced interior player with some toughness, next year could be more fun to watch than you apparently think.

If the problem is we donā€™t have NIL money for basketball, then what coach is going to want to come here? Bitch all you want about Fran, but I think the bigger issue our lack of NIL.
I think the lack of NIL for basketball is more of an indictment on Fran than it is the boosters/supporters of the program. The guys (and gals) giving money want to be fairly sure that those dollars are going to result in some sort of improvement in the product/results. Even with multiple NBA talents on the roster, Fran has not shown the ability to get past the 1st weekend. Most rich folks are rich because they understand ROI. As long as Fran is here, there is no ROI, hence no NIL funds.

I think the lack of NIL for basketball is more of an indictment on Fran than it is the boosters/supporters of the program. The guys (and gals) giving money want to be fairly sure that those dollars are going to result in some sort of improvement in the product/results. Even with multiple NBA talents on the roster, Fran has not shown the ability to get past the 1st weekend. Most rich folks are rich because they understand ROI. As long as Fran is here, there is no ROI, hence no NIL funds.
So it's the old chicken and the egg discussion?

egg GIF

Totally agree. We are almost 40 years as a season ticket holder. Between tickets, donations, travel to games (we have not lived in-state for 38 years), nine bowl games (2 Rose bowls), we are coming to the end also.

I have never been a fan of expansion. Rutgers, Nebraska and Maryland have not been huge contributors to football or basketball. They sure as hell have lined their pockets and diluted coverage of other Big Ten schools. Now we add four West coast schools that will make scheduling and travel very difficult for student athletes.

Too many things on our bucket list yet to do. We'll be there in force at least this year.

Illinois is also losing a lot of talent.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
If this is true and it applies to NIL, then I would suspect that the money would start to dry up. As I would define it, the ROIs do not look promising.

If this is true and it applies to NIL, then I would suspect that the money would start to dry up. As I would define it, the ROIs do not look promising.
ROIs in a 19-20 y/o kid? And that ā€œexpectationā€ is a reasonable expectation of a ā€œsuccessful businesspersonā€? Give me a phuquinā€™ break! At best, itā€™s a crap shoot!!
Some folks are trying to fool some folks hereā€¦

NCAA fumbled this in the name of greed.
Nah, they just no longer wanted the responsibility of dealing with it.

It'd be interesting to know just how much the NCAA knew about teams cheating "before" NIL and whether or not that is punishable by law in court (the fact that they willingly sat on information of rules violations in an effort to spare their sports, and them, from losing more money)...........................

I mean we all assume that the NCAA had some idea that schools like Alabama and Ohio State and others like Kentucky and Kansas in basketball violated recruiting rules pre-NIL, so if they did in fact know, or have documented information that proves there was cheating, and they did nothing, why shouldn't they as an entity, be punished?

There's a very good reason why they just out of the blue opened the doors to let all the vultures in, walked out of the building and pretended to wipe their hands of the whole thing.

It sure as f*** wasn't out of the kindness of their hearts to "pay it back" to the starving players/student athletes.

Reactions: intrepodor
Itā€™s time to pack up and head to Indianapolis with the rest of the family. No one wants to invest in NIL with the program being as apathetic as it is right now under Fran. Itā€™s time for new and fresh blood to lead the program.
The Fran era can't end soon enough for me.

His window has past.

Reactions: HawkBall23
People should never be surprised that big time - or even middle-tier - transfers (& recruits) are choosing schools like Illinois [& the higher tiers] over Iowa.

Combine a stagnant program with a one-trick pony coach - two tricks, if you count the embarrassing Techs - and a very small pool of NIL to outsource equates to why would anyone (4 or 5 stars) choose Iowa over a better program that can pay them more money??

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
As far as NIL goes we've basically decided we're a football school.

Reasonable decision....but sux for bball.

Wouldn't be surprised if womens bball ends up with the lions share of bball NIL.
And why shouldn't they?

If it were a 'results-based business', the proof is in the pudding that they would deserve it.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT