ADVERTISEMENT

1st grades of the new season YEA BOY!!!

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
125 Spencer Lee - uh sorry it will take me some time to get use to not having him!

125 Ayala Did a very nice job. Got caught on a funk roll on a very nice and deep shot giving up 1st take down. kept coming entire match and poured it on in third for major B+

133 Teske Workman like performance, showed some good D and scramble to avoid giving up a TD early in 1st B

141 Woods total domination. Loved the quick shot TD. Get to work on TOP reminds me of someone??? A+

149 TRIPLE V 3 This guy was my favorite of the night!!!! Boy does he bring a lot to the table for the HAWKS! Both guys seemed real big for the weight, but Triple V showed some impressive power. I also like the LEG RIDING!!! Please coaches, don't mess with it and have him work with others to learn it! A

157 Fanek, not sure how I forgot about this guy in other thread!?!?!? Must have ben drinking TOOO much that night? Anyway he is a real TUFF SOB!!! A

165 Calends Just wanna say if Kennedy has a shirt to use, then hopefully he uses it because both guys are real good and would hate to see one lose a year. His re-shots were awesome! A

174 Riggins did a nice job hopefully filling in till Brands get back B

184 Swafford also did a nice job, would have like to see him get the stick but again nice solid job and hopefully we get all our guys back into line B

197 Glazier See the TOOO above and add that hopefully we have help on they way! B

Heavy Hill see above B

NOTES: Nice job by CBU!!! 1) the stream was excellent, 2)announcing was good, 3) looked like a good venue and good crowd. Hats off!!!

I only saw one Brands?
Only one ref.? Thought he did a good job.
Sorry CBU but your colors uniforms logo kinda suck! Took me a while to even figure out what in hell that was on the mat.

The THREE is going to take some time to get use to!

125 Spencer Lee - uh sorry it will take me some time to get use to not having him!

125 Ayala Did a very nice job. Got caught on a funk roll on a very nice and deep shot giving up 1st take down. kept coming entire match and poured it on in third for major B+

133 Teske Workman like performance, showed some good D and scramble to avoid giving up a TD early in 1st B

141 Woods total domination. Loved the quick shot TD. Get to work on TOP reminds me of someone??? A+

149 TRIPLE V 3 This guy was my favorite of the night!!!! Boy does he bring a lot to the table for the HAWKS! Both guys seemed real big for the weight, but Triple V showed some impressive power. I also like the LEG RIDING!!! Please coaches, don't mess with it and have him work with others to learn it! A

157 Fanek, not sure how I forgot about this guy in other thread!?!?!? Must have ben drinking TOOO much that night? Anyway he is a real TUFF SOB!!! A

165 Calends Just wanna say if Kennedy has a shirt to use, then hopefully he uses it because both guys are real good and would hate to see one lose a year. His re-shots were awesome! A

184 Swafford also did a nice job, would have like to see him get the stick but again nice solid job and hopefully we get all our guys back into line B

197 Glazier See the TOOO above and add that hopefully we have help on they way! B

Heavy Hill see above B

NOTES: Nice job by CBU!!! 1) the stream was excellent, 2)announcing was good, 3) looked like a good venue and good crowd. Hats off!!!

I only saw one Brands?
Sorry CBU but your colors uniforms logo kinda suck! Took me a while to even figure out what in hell that was on the mat.

149, really, wow.

Heavy Hill see above B

I only saw one Brands?

149< coaches please work with ...a lot!!

Heavy Hill see above B

I only saw one Brands?

Love the passion and excitement for our boys, but Voinovich beating a kid 2-0 that went 0-2 at the B10 tournament as an 11 seed, isn’t what I would call impressive. Cal Baptist is a spirited group and hats off to them for hosting the number 2 team in the nation, but a number of our boys that we need to be world beaters looked pretty average IMHO.

125 - A for breaking him. Hoping Ayala has added something more than the slide by from neutral. Guys will be watching tape on him.

133 - B need to see more than just defensive takedowns. Solid on top - tweak the tilt a little and that’s a quick tech.

141 - A+

149 - B - would like to see sea biscuit, Ferrari and Voin get a bunch of matches this year at 49 to decide who’s best.

157 - A- , grinder

165 - A wow level drops remind me of mclravy.

174 - A, solid

184 - B+ seems to have progressed

197 - B+

Heavy - A - good job attacking til the end.

Opponent - B - they came to fight. Great effort.

149, really, wow

Love the passion and excitement for our boys, but Voinovich beating a kid 2-0 that went 0-2 at the B10 tournament as an 11 seed, isn’t what I would call impressive. Cal Baptist is a spirited group and hats off to them for hosting the number 2 team in the nation, but a number of our boys that we need to be world beaters looked pretty average IMHO.

Pretty sure Rathjen pinned that kid this summer at U23’s. Interesting to see how 49 plays out.

Except the leg ride, Voinovich looked like the standard Hawkeye wrestler—can’t finish shots against a good defense. No variety in leg attacks. Iowa coaches aren’t going to enhance his skill set.

A little rust is to be expected Iron, but these grades are as bad as I’ve ever seen. Maybe you need some more cardio.
Tuff crowd but point well taken. Don't want to make excuses because "excuses are for..... " well ya know. Will get out and do some road work!
Calendo (?) was the one that really impressed me. The others were fine and hard to grade due to opponent.
Yes as stated his wrestling was impressive, With Triple V 3 was talking about other aspects brought to the table and not about dominance.
149, really, wow.
Yes, from what I saw he brings the brutal leg Ride and a large muscular powerful build to the table. These were the "extra" things I feel he brings to the table at IOWA. We can use some more diversity in our wrestlers. Maybe it can translate to others in the room, or maybe it shows a willingness to bring in a different "style" wrestler? We never seem to have the bigger wrestler on the mat. Maybe it is training, maybe a different approach to off-season work???

Not sure but I am hungry for some "new" stuff!!!
Except the leg ride, Voinovich looked like the standard Hawkeye wrestler—can’t finish shots against a good defense. No variety in leg attacks. Iowa coaches aren’t going to enhance his skill set.
Disagree with looking like the standard HAWKEYE! Hoping you are wrong about the coaching!!!

Should have added what some have already said, CBU wrestlers came to fight! They didn't back down, they didn't stall or play the out of bounds so I should have given them a shout out.

Also was somewhat concerned seeing 3 of our first 4 wrestlers with some type of supportive gear on. Was a little like here we go again. Did not seem to restrict those wrestlers and hopefully all minor precautionary stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdvike
Love the Drake. He needs to work harder on bottom. Seeing Griffith walking off the mat with his head down compared to antics in Carver was priceless.

Franek. Think Lugo and you wont be so disappointed. Just win.

I was impressed with Calendulas offense but somebody compared it to Carr only winning 18-7 but that was with the former scoring system. Im not sure how wrestlestat is going to figure this out for rankings.

Ref was impressive. Confident and consistent to the end on his calls. Not having a backup roaming the out of bounds was nice. Hey Big Ten, trade an Angel for this one.

Love the Drake. He needs to work harder on bottom. Seeing Griffith walking off the mat with his head down compared to antics in Carver was priceless.

Franek. Think Lugo and you wont be so disappointed. Just win.

I was impressed with Calendulas offense but somebody compared it to Carr only winning 18-7 but that was with the former scoring system. Im not sure how wrestlestat is going to figure this out for rankings.

Ref was impressive. Confident and consistent to the end on his calls. Not having a backup roaming the out of bounds was nice. Hey Big Ten, trade an Angel for this one.
That’s what I’m working on…think Lugo and Brandon Sorensen when Franek steps on the mat…

Heavy Hill see above B

I only saw one Brands?

How do you give 149 an A, though he was amazing at riding an unranked opponent, and our backups at 174-285 a B? I would give the backups an A because all four of them teched their opponents, and then give VV a C for his riding ability. Aside from riding I didn't see anything. Did he actually take a shot? Not a head fake but an actual shot? Clearly the coaches know what's best for our team, but what I saw at 49 last night will likely net us 0-1 points in March. Any chance a Ferrari slides in at this weight?

Last edited:
🤦 you sir either suck at sarcasm or grading.
Thank you. When I read his review I thought to myself, "Did he even watch 'Triple V's' match?" That match was about as bad as it gets against a weaker opponent who went 5-15 last year, though he did have a couple close losses to good competition. Anyhow, in these warm-up duals I guess I expect to see just a little more offense...OK, a little more than zero offense...

I watched the dual twice now and I’ll give it a go.

Ayala- B His motor and high pace continue to be his biggest weapons, I’m concerned that he gives up points too easy early in matches. Against a well conditioned athlete like Ramos, he’s going to struggle to make a comeback. Many have Ayala penciled in as a finalist, he didn’t look like one to me yesterday.

Teske- B+ Similar to Ayala, he looked very well conditioned and pushed the pace. Leake gave Schriever a tough time last year, Teske looked pretty dominant.

Woods- A He did what was expected. Real is so tough on top. CBU kid was completely outmatched.

Voinovich- C+ Lots of folks are expecting VV to be a point scorer at NCAAs. He didn’t look like it yesterday. Struggled to get any offense going against an inferior opponent. Murin absolutely manhandled that kid last year in the dual vs Nebby. Needs a lot of work on his neutral game.

Franek- B- For a kid that was 4th in the country last year, he didn’t dominate an unheralded freshman like I thought he would. Gotta have a higher pace and need bonus points out of him.

Caliendo- A He looked real good, solid in every position. Opponent wasn’t top tier, but MC did what he was expected to do winning by tech fall.

Riggins- B+ Looked real good up at 174. He looked strong, quick and athletic at the weight. Maybe cutting too much to be effective at 165?

Swafford A- Handled a quality opponent and got bonus points. Haas is strong as an ox and super scrappy, Swafford kept his composure and really took it to him. Haas fully expected that he was going to win that match and ended up getting dominated. Not sure if Abe would’ve scored bonus points there.

Glazier- B- Glazier is a tough kid, but certainly lacks the explosive offensive skill set that is needed to excel at the weight. He showed good D and he’s real strong, thst was enough to get a win over a lesser opponent.

Hill- B I saw Acciardi dominated last years starter Chris Island in their wrestle offs, so I thought Hill may have had his hands full. Despite being pretty athletic for a heavy, he had nothing for Hill. Hill pretty much dominated in all positions and put up bonus points.

Ayala- B His motor and high pace continue to be his biggest weapons, I’m concerned that he gives up points too easy early in matches. Against a well conditioned athlete like Ramos, he’s going to struggle to make a comeback. Many have Ayala penciled in as a finalist, he didn’t look like one to me yesterday.

Teske- B+ Similar to Ayala, he looked very well conditioned and pushed the pace. Leake gave Schriever a tough time last year, Teske looked pretty dominant.

Woods- A He did what was expected. Real is so tough on top. CBU kid was completely outmatched.

Voinovich- C+ Lots of folks are expecting VV to be a point scorer at NCAAs. He didn’t look like it yesterday. Struggled to get any offense going against an inferior opponent. Murin absolutely manhandled that kid last year in the dual vs Nebby. Needs a lot of work on his neutral game.

Franek- B- For a kid that was 4th in the country last year, he didn’t dominate an unheralded freshman like I thought he would. Gotta have a higher pace and need bonus points out of him.

Caliendo- A He looked real good, solid in every position. Opponent wasn’t top tier, but MC did what he was expected to do winning by tech fall.

Riggins- B+ Looked real good up at 174. He looked strong, quick and athletic at the weight. Maybe cutting too much to be effective at 165?

Swafford A- Handled a quality opponent and got bonus points. Haas is strong as an ox and super scrappy, Swafford kept his composure and really took it to him. Haas fully expected that he was going to win that match and ended up getting dominated. Not sure if Abe would’ve scored bonus points there.

Glazier- B- Glazier is a tough kid, but certainly lacks the explosive offensive skill set that is needed to excel at the weight. He showed good D and he’s real strong, thst was enough to get a win over a lesser opponent.

Hill- B I saw Acciardi dominated last years starter Chris Island in their wrestle offs, so I thought Hill may have had his hands full. Despite being pretty athletic for a heavy, he had nothing for Hill. Hill pretty much dominated in all positions and put up bonus points.
These are grades I can live with...excellent assessments across the board!

Who had Ayala as a finalist? Same people who insisted he was injured because they “read it somewhere on here”?

VV didn’t have a great night but it isn’t like he suddenly sucks. Other guys will get their shot but he will be in it until the end. Early season matches are weird sometimes.

Reactions: el dub and T8KUDWN
can't believe you guys let the bird get in your heads, the only really different one was v 3

I thought I remember someone saying that he certified at 149, but I can't find it now. Did I imagine that?
In honor of Gobblin and opening day I will share a couple things I've heard. We should have a few more guys than usual at the open next weekend. AJ was recently in the room again for a few days. He isn't rusty to say the least. He's freaking good. I was told his brother has made 149 also. I don't have any insight on eligibility for anyone. Caliendo and Franek are fitting right in and doing great.

This was posted in page 2 of the Gobblin thread.

In honor of Gobblin and opening day I will share a couple things I've heard. We should have a few more guys than usual at the open next weekend. AJ was recently in the room again for a few days. He isn't rusty to say the least. He's freaking good. I was told his brother has made 149 also. I don't have any insight on eligibility for anyone. Caliendo and Franek are fitting right in and doing great.

This was posted in page 2 of the Gobblin thread.
Thanks! It will be interesting to see how 49 plays out if Anthony is there as well. Definitely good to have options.

Franek is in year 6, and has never scored many bonus points. He isn’t going to suddenly open it up because our fans demand it. He’s a winner that’s going to win a lot of close matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT