ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

Yes. Needs to dump football. Why risk the MLB for 7-5 and Music City Bowels. Not like he will develop with that crap coaching staff. Besides, he is tall. That’s it, doesn’t look like he wants hit. Don’t blame him, again why risk it for really nothing.
Crap coaching staff is a little extreme.

He’s scheduled to get the nod against #1 LSU on Saturday
My son and his family are flying to Austin to watch Brecht pitch. Our grandkids love Brody. We stayed at same hotel in Orlando during Citrus Bowl became friends and have stayed in touch since.

Reactions: 2bagger22
when he got pulled from the game and was heading to the dug out, he had some choice words for the home plate ump. As you can see in his stat line, Brody had 8 walks and he didn't like the home plate umpire's strike zone
I don‘t care that much about the ejection/suspension (just means he’s pitching Sunday instead of Saturday), but you don’t get 8 walks in less than 4 innings because the ump sucks. Brody’s stuff is just unreal, but command will make the difference in whether he’s elite or just another guy who has a lot of arm talent.

when he got pulled from the game and was heading to the dug out, he had some choice words for the home plate ump. As you can see in his stat line, Brody had 8 walks and he didn't like the home plate umpire's strike zone
Pretty tough suspension for giving an ump crap IMO

After 3 weeks, these are the top-30 qualified pitchers in college baseball.

2 are Hawkeyes.

Brody is #2.

FqlkdRRXwAAPfbT

FqlkdRwX0AArxXP

Source:

After 3 weeks, these are the top-30 qualified pitchers in college baseball.

2 are Hawkeyes.

Brody is #2.

FqlkdRRXwAAPfbT

FqlkdRwX0AArxXP

Source:

Right now, this is basically exactly where Brecht is. His arm talent is fantastic - elite velocity, wipeout slider, etc. It’ll just come down to how well he can harness it. If he can cut the walks, he can absolutely be a front-line MLB starter. If he can’t, he might be destined to be a back-end of the bullpen guy. His stuff is just filthy.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Sox need to keep an eye on Brody.
Pair him with kopech ...2 flamethrowers!

A steal of home when the Iowa catcher was not paying attention to the runner at 3rd and threw to the pitcher (Voelker) cost Brody the 2nd run to his line today.

Check it out here:

Brody Brecht today:

5 2/3 Innings Pitched
106 total pitches (4.61 pitches/batter faced)
62 strikes (58%)

23 batters faced
7 Strike outs
5 ground outs
3 fly out

3 Walks
2 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

5 Hits
2 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Fq-H0QLWAAE6kFt

so, i'm assuming he is not going to practice with the football team this spring? he should just make the decision and go full in on baseball... it's pretty obvious that's where his future lies. i think he'd be crazy not to.

• Haha
Reactions: 2bagger22
It's wild how many young pitchers reach the limits of velocity nowadays. Velocity training is insane! Absolutely unheard of stuff only a few decades ago. Even in the 80s and well into the 90s, only 5-10 pitchers in MLB could reach triple digits. That's probably being generous. Today, there are that many HS prospects that can do it.

It's wild how many young pitchers reach the limits of velocity nowadays. Velocity training is insane! Absolutely unheard of stuff only a few decades ago. Even in the 80s and well into the 90s, only 5-10 pitchers in MLB could reach triple digits. That's probably being generous. Today, there are that many HS prospects that can do it.
If you’re interested in learning more, I’d highly recommend reading “The MVP Machine” by Ben Lindberg and Travis Sawchick and “The Arm” by Jeff Passan. Both are excellent. MVP Machine really dives into the player dev era (the book was written 2017-ish about the teams that were ahead of the game) and Passan’s book is wrapped around Tommy John surgery and what’s driving the increase over the past couple decades and the aftermath of those injuries. Both are great reads.

so, i'm assuming he is not going to practice with the football team this spring? he should just make the decision and go full in on baseball... it's pretty obvious that's where his future lies. i think he'd be crazy not to.
I’m pretty sure it was reported that he got some workouts in with the football team last year…but last year he wasn’t one of the regular starters, so we’ll see what happens this year. He’s said more than once that football is an absolute love.

I’m very much in favor of players getting as much out of their sports loves as they can. The years to play are so short and they go by so fast and you can never get them back. If he wants to continue being 2-sport and his coaches are all good with it, then great….but it would be tragic if we never get to see what that arm can fully do.

I’m in favor of players doing what they want to do for as long as they can do it, so I’m disappointed football didn’t work out better for him, but while he has a chance to be a solid-to-good B1G WR, he has world-elite arm talent. He’s making the right call.

I’m in favor of players doing what they want to do for as long as they can do it, so I’m disappointed football didn’t work out better for him, but while he has a chance to be a solid-to-good B1G WR, he has world-elite arm talent. He’s making the right call.

probably was not a fun decision to make.

but the right one

probably was not a fun decision to make.

but the right one
Yeah, I 100% believe he loves football. Things can change and he certainly has work to do, but I’ve seen him rated as the #1 arm for the 2024 MLB draft (there will be some HS guys who burst onto the scene between now and then, so it’s not a lock at all). Even with the number of guys who throw hard now, there just aren’t that many guys who can match his velo with movement and that slider. Elite stuff.

Yeah, I 100% believe he loves football. Things can change and he certainly has work to do, but I’ve seen him rated as the #1 arm for the 2024 MLB draft (there will be some HS guys who burst onto the scene between now and then, so it’s not a lock at all). Even with the number of guys who throw hard now, there just aren’t that many guys who can match his velo with movement and that slider. Elite stuff.

Good for him...does seem like the road to riches/fame in Baseball is within his grasp. Not likely to happen in Football.

Reactions: hawkifann

do you like the rules for being drafted?

correct me if I am wrong but these are the rules:

* He could have been drafted right out of high school

* Once he decided to go to college, he is not eligible for the draft for 3 years

I don't like the rules. If it made sense for him to enter the MLB draft this year, why should he be held back?

do you like the rules for being drafted?

correct me if I am wrong but these are the rules:

* He could have been drafted right out of high school

* Once he decided to go to college, he is not eligible for the draft for 3 years

I don't like the rules. If it made sense for him to enter the MLB draft this year, why should he be held back?
You have the rules correct. I’m kind of ambivalent about them because of the baseball development path. If he could enter the draft this year, he’d be about a lock to be a first rounder…and yet it would still be 2026 before he’d sniff the bigs.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Quite the awesome story, and baseball team off to it's best start in team history. It's going to be interesting to see if Kueter sticks with football throughout as well.

Quite the awesome story, and baseball team off to it's best start in team history. It's going to be interesting to see if Kueter sticks with football throughout as well.
Big difference in the fact that wrestling is not known for big money like MLB or NFL would be. So the real question with Kueter is does he stick with wrestling?

Big difference in the fact that wrestling is not known for big money like MLB or NFL would be. So the real question with Kueter is does he stick with wrestling?
Kueter is a world champion. Gable Steveson could have easily played football and chose wrestling. There are avenues outside of wrestling that they can take. I would put massive amounts of money he sticks with wrestling if he was forced.

Kueter is a world champion. Gable Steveson could have easily played football and chose wrestling. There are avenues outside of wrestling that they can take. I would put massive amounts of money he sticks with wrestling if he was forced.
I hope you are correct, but Gable only makes money due to WWF, Jordan Boroughs makes some good money, but outside of them how many other wrestlings are probably pulling in some really good money. None of them are making the kind of money that a high draft pick in MLB or NFL is making. I sure hope he can maintain both sports as wrestling can certainly use him as a super athletic heavy weight. I imagine how much of a beast he can be at 240lbs after a year or two in the Iowa Football strength and conditioning program.

I hope you are correct, but Gable only makes money due to WWF, Jordan Boroughs makes some good money, but outside of them how many other wrestlings are probably pulling in some really good money. None of them are making the kind of money that a high draft pick in MLB or NFL is making. I sure hope he can maintain both sports as wrestling can certainly use him as a super athletic heavy weight. I imagine how much of a beast he can be at 240lbs after a year or two in the Iowa Football strength and conditioning program
To reach the status of a high draft pick in the MLB or NFL is not among the norm. I think you are confusing how elite he is in wrestling vs the possibility of an NFL carreer. Guys like Bo Nickal and Henry Cjeudo are making money. There is coaching as well. Not to mention the NIL deal the hawkeye wrestling club has with the UFC.

To reach the status of a high draft pick in the MLB or NFL is not among the norm. I think you are confusing how elite he is in wrestling vs the possibility of an NFL carreer. Guys like Bo Nickal and Henry Cjeudo are making money. There is coaching as well. Not to mention the NIL deal the hawkeye wrestling club has with the UFC.
You name two guys that both went the UFC route. I don't have any idea if Ben enjoys getting punched in the face or not. Henry Cejudo literally left olympic wrestling because there was no money in it. I am still waiting to hear any wrestlers (staying in the actual wrestling (olympic style) sport will make the same money that even a 5th round draft pick will make over even just 2 years in the NFL (roughly 1.8 million dollars for just 2 years).

You name two guys that both went the UFC route. I don't have any idea if Ben enjoys getting punched in the face or not. Henry Cejudo literally left olympic wrestling because there was no money in it. I am still waiting to hear any wrestlers (staying in the actual wrestling (olympic style) sport will make the same money that even a 5th round draft pick will make over even just 2 years in the NFL (roughly 1.8 million dollars for just 2 years).
Well, according to this rando site, Lee is worth 5 million, how would that be?

Sanderson/Brands both earn over 500k per year coaching alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT