ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

Sanderson/Brands both earn over 500k per year coaching alone.
Like you said a random website with no way of determing how much Spencer Lee is worth came up with 5M. I highly doubt Spencer who is very well known and does have some endorsements deals is making anywhere near enough to be worth 5M. I hope I am wrong.
As for Brands and Sanderson you pull the two highest paid coaches and they pale in comparison to the highest paid NFL or MLB. There is no denying there is way more money in NFL than wrestling.

Like you said a random website with no way of determing how much Spencer Lee is worth came up with 5M. I highly doubt Spencer who is very well known and does have some endorsements deals is making anywhere near enough to be worth 5M. I hope I am wrong.
As for Brands and Sanderson you pull the two highest paid coaches and they pale in comparison to the highest paid NFL or MLB. There is no denying there is way more money in NFL than wrestling.
Yeah I don't think I said anything of the sort, moreso that he is an absolute elite wrestler. P4P in the top 3. There is zero guarantee he will be drafted in the NFL. I highly doubt he will be leaving the wrestling team to play football.

You have the rules correct. I’m kind of ambivalent about them because of the baseball development path. If he could enter the draft this year, he’d be about a lock to be a first rounder…and yet it would still be 2026 before he’d sniff the bigs.
I guess i don't like or understand the rule. IF he wanted to enter the MLB draft this year and get paid now, why not allow it? What would suck is if in the next year he suffered an arm injury.

I guess i don't like or understand the rule. IF he wanted to enter the MLB draft this year and get paid now, why not allow it? What would suck is if in the next year he suffered an arm injury.
It’s better than the NBA one-and-done rule. At least there’s a path for kids to go directly to the draft from HS.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Can anyone REALLY confirm 104????
Thats Aroldis Chapman/Bob Feller speed.
I saw the video but is it accurate?

Can anyone REALLY confirm 104????
Thats Aroldis Chapman/Bob Feller speed.
I saw the video but is it accurate?
*shrug* That’s the gun read. Could absolutely be a fast gun….but it’s not like that was 95 mph. He’s been consistently read north of 100 since the start of the season, so it’s certainly not ridiculous, though it’s possible it was only 101-102 but a fast gun.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend the documentary “Fastball”. You should be able to get it on Netflix and it’s fantastic. Compares measurement techniques going back to Walter Johnson and makes a great attempt to compare the flame throwers across eras.

I have bad memories getting hit by pitches in Little League. I can't imagine how it feels to get hit by a 100 mph pitch. Talk about leaving a mark. ;)

I'll take 90, with accuracy and a series sweep of Maryland vs 104mph. But Brody will be in the BIGs someday with that speed, just needs to keep sharpening the strikezone a bit.

I'll take 90, with accuracy and a series sweep of Maryland vs 104mph. But Brody will be in the BIGs someday with that speed, just needs to keep sharpening the strikezone a bit.
In fairness, Brody did leave the game after 5 with a 6-3 lead, so while he wasn’t perfect and better command might have let him pitch 1-2 more innings, he’s hardly the primary reason Iowa lost 2 of 3. Really, his command wasn’t even necessarily that bad (5 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, 13 Ks), it’s that that style of pitching naturally leads to bigger counts and higher pitch counts (94 through 5 innings Friday).

Reactions: 2bagger22
In fairness, Brody did leave the game after 5 with a 6-3 lead, so while he wasn’t perfect and better command might have let him pitch 1-2 more innings, he’s hardly the primary reason Iowa lost 2 of 3. Really, his command wasn’t even necessarily that bad (5 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs, 3 walks, 13 Ks), it’s that that style of pitching naturally leads to bigger counts and higher pitch counts (94 through 5 innings Friday).
Never meant to have laid the blame of the loss on Brody. Just stating that his speed is phenomenal, just needs to hone the strike zone a tad more. Our offense has been sketchy this year (so far). Glad he is baseball only, it is where he will make his money.

Reactions: hawkifann
Not bad- Not Nuke LaLoosh numbers but not bad.

Brody Brecht has been named to the Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List by USA Baseball. The award goes to the top amateur baseball player in the country each season.

The list features 45 of the nation's best athletes from both college and high school baseball.

The 2023 Golden Spikes Award timeline is as follows:

• May 22: Golden Spikes Award semifinalists announced and fan voting begins
  • June 5: Golden Spikes Award semifinalists' fan voting ends
  • June 7: Golden Spikes Award finalists announced and fan voting begins
  • June 21: Golden Spikes Award finalists' fan voting ends
  • June 25: Golden Spikes Award winner announced

The Full Story:

104 mph is f-ing incredible. Been to many many minor league games and have never seen a single pitcher touch 100. Just have to find the control.
I heard the 104 was not an accurate read, but the broadcast went with it. Doesn’t really matter, though, he’s hit 102 many times. Dude throws hard.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I heard the 104 was not an accurate read, but the broadcast went with it. Doesn’t really matter, though, he’s hit 102 many times. Dude throws hard.
I've never seen it done before in minor league baseball. Go quite often for the last 7 or 8 years. Obviously have to have the control to go with it.

some of you are not old enough to remember Nolan Ryan as he threw a fastball in the 100+ mph

as for today's speed guns they are the same ones police officers use while on patrol to catch speeders. 99% give or take 1% + or - accuracy rate. its been tested in a court of law at the highest level.

to expand on the accuracy about these speed guns they are Radar guns that 90% of law enforcement uses especially the Highway Patrol.

it is hard to fight the accuracy of a radar speed gun in court.

they also use these radar guns in the NASCAR and Indy races to keep track of the speed of those cars.

so its hard to believe the speed of Brecht pitches would be in doubt,

next spring look at the spot just behind the catcher and you will see scouts with a radar gun to heck the speed, in fact there are many scouts using those guns to check the speed. in fact they will be in the stands checking other pitchers speed. Morgan will get a lot of attention in the spring..

next spring look at the spot just behind the catcher and you will see scouts with a radar gun to heck the speed, in fact there are many scouts using those guns to check the speed. in fact they will be in the stands checking other pitchers speed. Morgan will get a lot of attention in the spring..
Will we be able to spot them out of 10k fans there?

Chatham Anglers, of the Cape Cod Baseball League.

Solid outing last night!

He will go as far as his command will take him. His raw stuff will get him into pro ball and probably move him quickly through the ranks, but he’s going to have to consistently command a couple different off-speeds if he’s going to stick in the bigs as a starter. Love where he’s starting from, though, and he’s already made big strides at Iowa. Can’t wait to see him next year.

He will go as far as his command will take him. His raw stuff will get him into pro ball and probably move him quickly through the ranks, but he’s going to have to consistently command a couple different off-speeds if he’s going to stick in the bigs as a starter. Love where he’s starting from, though, and he’s already made big strides at Iowa. Can’t wait to see him next year.
JFC he was just a RSFR, starting this past spring. did/were you expecting Cy Young results?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
JFC he was just a RSFR, starting this past spring. did/were you expecting Cy Young results?
Lol…no, I love his progress. He was night and day better this year (he was a soph in baseball). I’m just looking way down the road. I’ve seen early 2024 MLB draft ratings that have him as the #1 arm, so no shots at all. If he harnesses command on that nasty stuff he has and keeps that elite velo, he can legit be a major league ace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT