ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

he was a FR in the 2022-23 season. this is the 2023-24 season and he is a SO. in the 2024-25 season he will be a JR. THEN he will be eligible for the MLB draft.

Just double down on being consistently wrong, you handicapped prick.

try again as he was a true FR this year.

he will be a true SO for the 23-24 season.

but you keep doubling down.
He pitched in 17 games in 2021-22, in what world was he a true freshman in 2022-23?

There will be conflicting listings because while he was participating in football, he’s officially a football scholly, not baseball. For football, he was a redshirt freshman this past season, but this spring was his 2nd consecutive year of pitching in 17 games (he started once in 21-22 and 16 times this year).

Fortunately the op usually brings some facts to the discussion. You should try it

Bottom line is enjoy Brody next year before he heads off to the pros.

What was fun to watch is he hit 104 mph early in the season but his control only got better when the velocity of his pitches dropped to the high 90's. In the NCAA Tournament, he was hitting 97 mph with good control.

What was fun to watch is he hit 104 mph early in the season but his control only got better when the velocity of his pitches dropped to the high 90's. In the NCAA Tournament, he was hitting 97 mph with good control.
sometime it is better to to maintain control rather than constantly trying to be a flame thrower,

It’s even better if you can do both. Brody has dialed it back at times this year, which has been a good bit of maturity to see.
he is young and has much to learn, its about when and how he uses his pitches what is his setup pitch before that flame ball.

after a while teams learn how and when he pitches, so he needs to learn how to change his pitching style, I Coached my pitcher to change their pitching timing. this was to keep the other team from learning their pitching techniques,

this was over 50 years ago. yeah pitching has not changed all that much, my top pitcher in a 7 inning game struck out 17 of the 21 possible SO. the bad thing is he recorded 8 walks. finally got him to realize if he concentrated slowing down and hitting the strike zone he would help the team out a lot more.

he learned quickly about what I was saying was accurate and he ended up being a damn good pitcher that ended up getting a scholarship from the Texas Longhorns.

also I coached a Women's semi-pro fast pitch team, what a headache that started out. try to imagine dealing with a bunch of young women fresh off of college teams. all of them thinking that knew more than anyone else about running a TEAM.

they all wanted yo play position they had never played before, that turned into a disaster, while I sat in the stand after be told that they could coach themselves, after losing 30+ to 1 in a game that was stopped because of the leagues mercy rule.

boy did they ever get raked over the coals by their bofriends/husbands and their sponsor. not to mention their parents, after that they asked me to come back and coach.

he is young and has much to learn, its about when and how he uses his pitches what is his setup pitch before that flame ball.

after a while teams learn how and when he pitches, so he needs to learn how to change his pitching style, I Coached my pitcher to change their pitching timing. this was to keep the other team from learning their pitching techniques,

this was over 50 years ago. yeah pitching has not changed all that much, my top pitcher in a 7 inning game struck out 17 of the 21 possible SO. the bad thing is he recorded 8 walks. finally got him to realize if he concentrated slowing down and hitting the strike zone he would help the team out a lot more.

he learned quickly about what I was saying was accurate and he ended up being a damn good pitcher that ended up getting a scholarship from the Texas Longhorns.

also I coached a Women's semi-pro fast pitch team, what a headache that started out. try to imagine dealing with a bunch of young women fresh off of college teams. all of them thinking that knew more than anyone else about running a TEAM.

they all wanted yo play position they had never played before, that turned into a disaster, while I sat in the stand after be told that they could coach themselves, after losing 30+ to 1 in a game that was stopped because of the leagues mercy rule.

boy did they ever get raked over the coals by their bofriends/husbands and their sponsor. not to mention their parents, after that they asked me to come back and coach.

I'd guess about 15% of this post is accurate.

That will be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Hope by some miracle he goes to a Midwest team so we can see him.

Just to show the premium teams are placing on arm talent, the Cubs drafted a kid in the 17th round from Campbell - Daniel Brown - who is a lefty that can throw 101, but faced 18 batters at Campbell and walked 13 of them and hit 2.

Nobody expects anything from a 17th round pick, so it’s a shot in the dark on pure arm talent, but someone like Brecht is going to be highly coveted, assuming health and development in performance.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Just to show the premium teams are placing on arm talent, the Cubs drafted a kid in the 17th round from Campbell - Daniel Brown - who is a lefty that can throw 101, but faced 18 batters at Campbell and walked 13 of them and hit 2.

Nobody expects anything from a 17th round pick, so it’s a shot in the dark on pure arm talent, but someone like Brecht is going to be highly coveted, assuming health and development in performance.

how would you evaluate his control last season compared to prior seasons?

IMO, it seems like when he went "down" to 97 mph fastballs (instead of 100+) his control greatly improved

how would you evaluate his control last season compared to prior seasons?

IMO, it seems like when he went "down" to 97 mph fastballs (instead of 100+) his control greatly improved
I think he showed that he could manage things better this year - as you say, by not going max effort all the time. Going 97-98 most of the time as a starter is plenty, especially with his offspeed. He has the ability to dig in and get that 100 when he needs it, but he doesn’t need to go that high all the time.

I assume this year will be focused on continuing to build the arm strength (there’s not a lot more to go, but can work in the margins) and probably a lot of work on getting consistent spin with his offspeed/breaking stuff. The more he can throw the other stuff for a strike, the more dangerous his fastball is to hitters.

Hopefully, I’ll get the sound clip pulled and posted, but this week, I talked to Northside Bound’s Greg Zumach who does a lot of their MLB draft coverage. Brecht did come up briefly in the episode and then I knew I was going end with a 2024 question about Brecht and Greg had some good thoughts. Here’s the full episode for anyone who is interested.

Brody's future keeps looking more and more bright.

F2jNJAbXMAAFRg3

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT