ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Fleming transferring

Apr 8, 2003
Andrew Fleming transferring
HawkeyeReport.com | Staff

on7awxk8xbdabgbdhnjy

Andrew Fleming has been given his release and will transfer.
HawkeyeReport.com

IOWA CITY, Iowa - University of Iowa men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery announced Thursday that freshman Andrew Fleming has decided to transfer and has been granted a release from his scholarship.

Fleming, a 6-foot-5, 206-pound guard averaged 2.2 points, one assist, and 7.3 minutes in 11 games this past season. The native of Nashville, Tennessee, had a season-high six points against UMKC on Dec. 5.

“We appreciate the contributions that Andrew made to our team this past season,” said McCaffery. “Andrew has a bright future, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors. My staff and I will do whatever we can to help Andrew during this transition.”

“I want to thank the University of Iowa for an amazing freshman year full of experiences and relationships that will last a life time,” Fleming said. “I would also like to thank Coach McCaffery, his staff, my teammates, and all the fans for all the love and support this season. I have learned so much, and this season has been an unforgettable year.

“With that being said, and with much consideration and prayer, I have decided to transfer and seek out a better situation for my career as a college basketball player. I have big dreams and want to be in the best situation to achieve my goals. Thank you Hawkeye Nation for welcoming me and everyone else who has supported me this year, but I believe God has an amazing plan for my life elsewhere that is bright.”

Last edited:
Reactions: DenverTurtle
Baer has earned it, which is more than could be said for Hutton and Fleming, who are now leaving. Baer gets one, and Fran gets one...until the next domino falls...then Fran gets two.

Fair is fair.

Baer should get the scholly since he is better than a lot of the scholarship players. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more transfer.
What if they can bring in 2 players better than Baer?

It shouldn't even be an argument for Baer after the 1st one. Do you want McCaffery to give up his too, so we can have 15 scholarship type players?

So right now, the depth chart is something like this

1: Williams, Bohannon
2: Moss, Ellingson
3: Jok, Baer
4: Uhl, Jones, Pemsl
5: Wagner, Cook, Kriener

Some combination of that. Pretty green.

Reactions: DenverTurtle
Waste a Scholarship on him? He was by far the best Freshman we have offensively and defensively. Not giving him one his exactly how you lose players to teams that are better than you.

Is he going to leave if he doesn't get one? I don't think either of us know this or know his financial situation. If his family is well off I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to use a newly free scholarship on somebody already on the team.

What if they can bring in 2 players better than Baer?

If Bear doesn't get one of these two scholarships my guess is he would leave. I doubt this will happen as I am sure Fran will give him one, one that he has certainly earned.

Is he going to leave if he doesn't get one? I don't think either of us know this or know his financial situation. If his family is well off I'm certainly not going to be in a rush to use a newly free scholarship on somebody already on the team.
I'm sure he and Fran have discussed this at length and know where each stand on the matter

If Bear doesn't get one of these two scholarships my guess is he would leave. I doubt this will happen as I am sure Fran will give him one, one that he has certainly earned.
Iowa needs a couple experienced guards. Sure Baer played decent, but he also struggled at times. I think Williams would have had a better year than Baer had he been given more time.

I think this is B.S. Would you take a job that didn't pay a thing just because you were already doing well financially? Of course not. The kid has earned a scholarship, just like the McCaffrey kids have for all those saying Fran should pay the way. There are advantages to being on scholarship past tuition alone.

I think this is B.S. Would you take a job that didn't pay a thing just because you were already doing well financially? Of course not. The kid has earned a scholarship, just like the McCaffrey kids have for all those saying Fran should pay the way. There are advantages to being on scholarship past tuition alone.

Did I already accept the job knowing it paid nothing?

It all depends upon the communication between Fran and Baer, which we need to leave up to them.

I think people discredit Baer because he was a walkon. If you look at his impact on the team, he was one of the best players. If he had come in as a scholarship player nobody would be writing him off.

He had the third best PER on the team behind only Uthoff and Jok and the second best box score plus minus behind only Uthoff. He is good on both ends of the floor. give him a damn scholarship.

Pretty sure they changed the rules a year or two ago and walk on get all the same perks as scholarship players, other than the scholarship.

That's not to say I have any problem with are getting one. Just saying that's not a legitimate reason anymore.

Well it looks like the thread got deleted, or I just can't find it, but the poster that predicted in detail that Ellingson, Fleming, and Jones would be gone is now 1 for 3...

Reactions: ichawk24
Did I already accept the job knowing it paid nothing?

No, but you've been filling in for awhile on a volunteer basis. Now that the company has the resources to make it a paid position, they gave it to someone else even though you've been doing all of the work.They figured screw it, you've been doing it for free anyways, might as well milk this poor sap for everything he's worth, amirite?

Man, a year ago I thought getting Flemming was a huge get for Iowa. Now, poof, gone. Wonder whats going on? I wouldn't mind seeling Ellingson go as well. I would like to bring in some Juco guys, similar to what Hoiberg used to do and see them play right away.

No, but you've been filling in for awhile on a volunteer basis. Now that the company has the resources to make it a paid position, they gave it to someone else even though you've been doing all of the work.They figured screw it, you've been doing it for free anyways, might as well milk this poor sap for everything he's worth, amirite?

Sounds like a good way to make money, if you can get people to work for free, why the hell not? Allows you to put those resources to use somewhere else.

My concern is Hutton and Fleming were to be the next level of recruit to help elevate Iowa basketball and both are gone after 1 season? How is Fran missing the boat on these kids? There is a serious disconnect and I find it very concerning both Fleming and Hutton are already leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT