ADVERTISEMENT

Appreciation thread

Mendoza77

HR MVP
Jan 31, 2015
I've seen appreciation threads regarding certain wrestlers, so decided to post one for others who deserve a big show of appreciation for what they do, especially in light of the developments of the past two months.

Tom Brands. What an amazing person! Someone like him is who I'd choose to head up my organization/company. High ethics & morals, passionate, dedicated, well-balanced (focused on nurturing all aspects of life), loyal, honest, etc. A great role model, for young and old alike, and every parent should want their child to be mentored by either of the Brands brothers. (hope Tom doesn't read this - his ego might explode! haha just kidding)

Randy Novak. Went from being a virtual unknown (to us), to being a driving force in what's been happening. I'm most impressed with Randy's humility (the greatest trait someone can possess) and his openness to new/different ideas. He responds to everyone (as much as is possible) and treats people with respect. I vote for him as national club president of the year!

Bob Nicolls. Like Randy, not a name that was known to most of us, but quickly became a game-changer. People who don't just talk, but boldly step forward and act, are to be highly commended! I admit that I was initially thinking that Bob might have done what he did out of ego, to be known and recognized (forgive me Bob!), but after speaking with him I can vouch for him being a very genuine, altruistic person who is just doing what he can, as many of us are doing. I'm a fan of Bob Nicolls, not because of his donation/pledge, but because of the type of person he is.

Todd Conner. I've always really enjoyed his blog posts, but the blog about his vision for "The greatest wrestling practice facility...in the world!" was epic! It's what I've also envisioned, and apparently is how Brands and Nicolls are envisioning it, but Todd carried it much further, expanding on many important aspects (I love the cafeteria idea!). I really hope that Todd is consulted when Brands and others discuss the details of what the complex will contain. I've always believed in thinking and acting BIG, and Todd's views are right there!

Chris Haupert (WWDM). I hope he doesn't mind that I've used his real name - I believe he's shared it before. Before the recent developments, I respected his posts. Now, one thing that I've realized and appreciate greatly is his positive attitude - it's infectious! I used to get upset and drawn into the negative stuff on this board, but now I try to just ignore it or turn it into something positive. Also, I might be overstating this a bit, but I feel that Chris has been the primary motivator for a lot of the fundraising efforts on this board, constantly encouraging everyone and keeping things headed in a positive and productive direction. And what he (and Steve Reese) have done in starting the Des Moines chapter of HWC is fantastic. I hope that more people like Chris step forward and take action.

Great thread, Mendoza! I concur with all of the names you list except that I'm literally just a diehard fan like you and so many others on this board and elsewhere. I very much appreciate the kind words, but as you know, there's an army of Iowa wrestling fans who are willing to go to great effort to help get the Hawks where they want to be and where we want them to be. It's a long list, and it includes you!

For those who don't know, Mendoza is a phenomenal dude. He has single-handedly developed a non-profit organization to serve impoverished youth in Argentina. Pretty remarkable! But he's an Iowa wrestling fan, and we're a pretty extraordinary bunch, so you probably aren't surprised.

In all seriousness, we're a big and formidable team, and together, we're already doing incredible things for the HWC and Iowa wrestling -- and there are much bigger things to come. So I'd also like to recognize every one of you avid Iowa wrestling fans who love the sport, appreciate all of the great things that Iowa wrestling represents, and take pride in its rich tradition.

We've got an unbeatable team! I'm telling you, nobody can stop us!

Last edited:
I've seen appreciation threads regarding certain wrestlers, so decided to post one for others who deserve a big show of appreciation for what they do, especially in light of the developments of the past two months.

Tom Brands. What an amazing person! Someone like him is who I'd choose to head up my organization/company. High ethics & morals, passionate, dedicated, well-balanced (focused on nurturing all aspects of life), loyal, honest, etc. A great role model, for young and old alike, and every parent should want their child to be mentored by either of the Brands brothers. (hope Tom doesn't read this - his ego might explode! haha just kidding)

Randy Novak. Went from being a virtual unknown (to us), to being a driving force in what's been happening. I'm most impressed with Randy's humility (the greatest trait someone can possess) and his openness to new/different ideas. He responds to everyone (as much as is possible) and treats people with respect. I vote for him as national club president of the year!

Bob Nicolls. Like Randy, not a name that was known to most of us, but quickly became a game-changer. People who don't just talk, but boldly step forward and act, are to be highly commended! I admit that I was initially thinking that Bob might have done what he did out of ego, to be known and recognized (forgive me Bob!), but after speaking with him I can vouch for him being a very genuine, altruistic person who is just doing what he can, as many of us are doing. I'm a fan of Bob Nicolls, not because of his donation/pledge, but because of the type of person he is.

Todd Conner. I've always really enjoyed his blog posts, but the blog about his vision for "The greatest wrestling practice facility...in the world!" was epic! It's what I've also envisioned, and apparently is how Brands and Nicolls are envisioning it, but Todd carried it much further, expanding on many important aspects (I love the cafeteria idea!). I really hope that Todd is consulted when Brands and others discuss the details of what the complex will contain. I've always believed in thinking and acting BIG, and Todd's views are right there!

Chris Haupert (WWDM). I hope he doesn't mind that I've used his real name - I believe he's shared it before. Before the recent developments, I respected his posts. Now, one thing that I've realized and appreciate greatly is his positive attitude - it's infectious! I used to get upset and drawn into the negative stuff on this board, but now I try to just ignore it or turn it into something positive. Also, I might be overstating this a bit, but I feel that Chris has been the primary motivator for a lot of the fundraising efforts on this board, constantly encouraging everyone and keeping things headed in a positive and productive direction. And what he (and Steve Reese) have done in starting the Des Moines chapter of HWC is fantastic. I hope that more people like Chris step forward and take action.

Thank you Mendoza77. That is a good crowd to be mentioned in.

Speaking of a cafeteria for student athletes, here is an article about Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI football programs nutrition program.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...es-chris-doyle-iowa-state-cyclones/315125001/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT