ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Finals(and 3rd/5th) discussion

we do a lot of it ourselves, but top stalling is out of control. spiral ride to the edge, push him out and then do it all over again on the restart. gotta do it because they don't call it and it's a path to victory, but not fun to watch. would be easily solved if the refs had some guts.

Love the Hawkeyes. Pumped that the Bull won his fourth. And yet. Watching Marinelli-Amine and Starocci-Massa back to back is a pretty good argument that the rules committee should go back to the drawing board. No shots in Bull's match until 14 seconds left. I get that he pushed the pace and that Amine was backing up the whole time. But there was no action to speak of except hand fighting. And there was essentially one shot in the entire Starocci match. Watching Massa ride Starocci for a minute and a half, and then watching Starocci ride Massa for two minutes, it was pretty unexciting stuff.

we do a lot of it ourselves, but top stalling is out of control. spiral ride to the edge, push him out and then do it all over again on the restart. gotta do it because they don't call it and it's a path to victory, but not fun to watch. would be easily solved if the refs had some guts.

Not sure he was even riding. More than just hanging on

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Everybody has their right to their own beliefs. It’s America we live in!!! Is that good enough?
Sure as hell don't want to debate this, but you miss the point. Should a wrestler thus be able to wear ANY t-shirt they want when representing the U if it's what they believe?? Now, back to wrestling.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Sounds like Cass is MFF the championship. Thats a bummer

Yeah he isnt wrong. There is a difference between 4 in 4 years and 4 in 5
Not surprising at all. No idea how his knee is, but he ain't beating GS and Iowa isn't winning a team title. Heal up and hope you get a chance to get worked by Gable in the NCAA Finals! 🙂 (with the caveat that Dan Gable got beat, if he can, anybody can, never say never)

Massa wrestled a poor match there. I thought he might make it interesting at the end
Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Starocci has the perfect stall ride and is exceptional at clinging just enough and letting the action get to the edge every time an escape is close. Massa moved hard the entire time and did a great job breaking hands but as soon as he cleared, Starocci was fantastic at coming back to a 2 on 1 on his left wrist.

Massa actually wrestled very well that match, it is just really hard to crack Starocci’s defense and wrist and ankle rides…

Love the Hawkeyes. Pumped that the Bull won his fourth. And yet. Watching Marinelli-Amine and Starocci-Massa back to back is a pretty good argument that the rules committee should go back to the drawing board. No shots in Bull's match until 14 seconds left. I get that he pushed the pace and that Amine was backing up the whole time. But there was no action to speak of except hand fighting. And there was essentially one shot in the entire Starocci match. Watching Massa ride Starocci for a minute and a half, and then watching Starocci ride Massa for two minutes, it was pretty unexciting stuff.
In the marinelli match you can’t shot if the other guys is constantly backing up not engaging!!!

Reactions: Boro407
If life was fair, guys like the Bull, Spencer, and Kemerer would be healthy as horses and primed to win individual titles and a team title, whereas people like Daton Fix and Byrd would have the torn ACLs and Labrums. Unfortunately it is not.
Yeah I hear ya, just saying Bull leaving Iowa without his name on the wall seems odd to me. Given his dominance in every other format other than NCAA’s.

We often get frustrated about the way matches are won/lost, but the bottom line is coaches and wrestlers need to be wise about the way the rules are officiated. Hawks lose more frequently than I’d like when being the aggressor (or the superior wrestler), but their opponents are coached well to exploit the rules and minimize Hawkeye strengths. That’s just being smart.

I get the injury thing guys, this crap wasn't happening until just recently. New trend, not a good one.
Smiths, Brands, etc.. weren't pulling this crap.
Can you imagine Gable as the coach of these teams and his wrestlers MFF.
He's got to be mortified at what is happening to the sport.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Sure as hell don't want to debate this, but you miss the point. Should a wrestler thus be able to wear ANY t-shirt they want when representing the U if it's what they believe?? Now, back to wrestling.
Yes they should be able too. If it was a problem it would have been fixed three years ago!!!

I get the injury thing guys, this crap wasn't happening until just recently. New trend, not a good one.
Smiths, Brands, etc.. weren't pulling this crap.
Can you imagine Gable as the coach of these teams and his wrestlers MFF.
He's got to be mortified at what is happening to the sport.
I’d imagine it’s tnt making these decisions and that just shocks me to think about

Stallrocci believes he is the best in the world, I had to chuckle at that.
His stall ride is impressive.

Any hint of the guy on bottom getting out and he just drags him to the edge and force OOB to get it back to the center and prevent the escape.

No real attempt to score from on top. Just drop on the guy and wear him down.

I think the riding aspect and its current relation to the stalling issues rampant in the sport is the hardest part for casual fans to get over when trying to gain an interest in wrestling.

We often get frustrated about the way matches are won/lost, but the bottom line is coaches and wrestlers need to be wise about the way the rules are officiated. Hawks lose more frequently than I’d like when being the aggressor (or the superior wrestler), but their opponents are coached well to exploit the rules and minimize Hawkeye strengths. That’s just being smart.
You can call it smart if you want, but If the rules allow for a less superior wrestler to exploit them for a win, the problem is with the rules not the wrestler. Wrestling needs a few rule changes.

We saw this last March as well when a man with no ACL’s had to chase a quick Sun Devil all the back to Arizona just to secure a 7-0 victory.

You can call it smart if you want, but If the rules allow for a less superior wrestler to exploit them for a win, the problem is with the rules not the wrestler. Wrestling needs a few rule changes.

We saw this last March as well when a man with no ACL’s had to chase a quick Sun Devil all the back to Arizona just to secure a 7-0 victory.
I get it, but I would rather win by being wise than lose by keep the chip on my shoulder.

Or if they were forced to call it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT