ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Farrell - Freestyle

Suriano was in on Gross 4 times in the match. Gross just walked into Suriano standing straight up hoping he woudl shoot cause he new he couldn't create his own offense. Kind of back to the Thomas Gilman vs Fix of "Why did he shoot" comment. If Suriano didn't shoot the last 15 seconds, he wins.

Suriano was in on Gross 4 times in the match. Gross just walked into Suriano standing straight up hoping he woudl shoot cause he new he couldn't create his own offense. Kind of back to the Thomas Gilman vs Fix of "Why did he shoot" comment. If Suriano didn't shoot the last 15 seconds, he wins.

absolutely

Gross looked horrible in that match vs Suriano. He won the match, but Suriano finishes those shots in folkstyle where he doesn't have to worry about exposure or the very quick stalemate calls.
I don't think he looked horrible. He wrestled the match he needed to wrestle. Gross has elite defense and that was on display. He was patient and got the exposure when he needed it. Personally I think it was smart wrestling.
Boring perhaps, but smart.

I don't think he looked horrible. He wrestled the match he needed to wrestle. Gross has elite defense and that was on display. He was patient and got the exposure when he needed it. Personally I think it was smart wrestling.
Boring perhaps, but smart.

He was very fortunate to come up with exposure on Suriano's shot with 2 seconds left. If Suriano doesn't take that shot with 15 seconds left he wins. It's too risky to shoot in freestyle as a way of eating up the clock as exposure is too easy to come by.

I stand by Gross did not look good in that match. He wasn't close to scoring. He literally didn't make an offensive move until the exposure attempt with 2 seconds remaining.

Lewis with a great shot. Couldn't finish but step out. Lewis Up 1-0
Lewis in deep again, but Cenzo in seatbelt and out
End of 1 1-0

Period 2 Lewis vs Cenzo
Winner gets Nolf

Shot by Cenzo, reshot by Lewis. Good action, no score.
Shot from space by Lewis, head pinch by Cenzo. Nothing
Great ankle pick by Cenzo, crazy D by Lewis but they call it 2. 2-1 Cenzo with challenge by Lewis' corner.
Call stands and additonial 1 for failed challange. Cenzo 3-1
Step out 4-1
Great match, both guys wrestled well. Cenzo wins 4-1
Cenzo vs Nolf Next

Reactions: TarpHawk
Good match between Cenzo and Mekhi. Need to see the replay on that score. It looked like in the moment, that Mekhi miraculously avoided the exposure and TD, but it definitely seems like freestyle officials are almost never going to overturn their call.

Reactions: butchinmi
Foster was up 6-0. Got put on his back at end of 1. Up 6-2 now, which someone with more freestyle chops would have to tell me how that wasn't 4. I'm guess just exposure but that doesn't count as 2 takedown?

TD2 and 2 leg laces. Foster down 6-8 now.

Foster loses 10-6

Better freestyler won is what it looked like to me.

After that, have to think Teasdale is a shoe in for the title, right?

Thousand Teasdale shots vs thousand Gross defense attempts. Whose strength is better would determine that one. Unless Gross can destroy him on top.

Gross hasn't blown me away this year so far. I've watch all of his matches I think.

Reactions: TarpHawk
He was very fortunate to come up with exposure on Suriano's shot with 2 seconds left. If Suriano doesn't take that shot with 15 seconds left he wins. It's too risky to shoot in freestyle as a way of eating up the clock as exposure is too easy to come by.

I stand by Gross did not look good in that match. He wasn't close to scoring. He literally didn't make an offensive move until the exposure attempt with 2 seconds remaining.
Everyone is fortunate or gets lucky from time to time. That's the nature of sports, upsets happen. Gross won and be looked like shit, now imagine what he'll do if he actually finds his offense.

Suriano always makes mistakes and Gross knows this. He know he's going to poke him in the face, so let it happen and take that point.

Foster was up 6-0. Got put on his back at end of 1. Up 6-2 now, which someone with more freestyle chops would have to tell me how that wasn't 4. I'm guess just exposure but that doesn't count as 2 takedown?

TD2 and 2 leg laces. Foster down 6-8 now.

Foster loses 10-6

Better freestyler won is what it looked like to me.
Foster impressed me though. He looked pretty damn good up until that leg lace.

Reactions: butchinmi
I was typing Foster looks great right when he was put on his back so I deleted it. But I agree

Suriano always makes mistakes and Gross knows this. He know he's going to poke him in the face, so let it happen and take that point.
giphy.gif

It’s almost like Suriano is one of the best position wrestlers in the country or something.

And it's almost like Suriano wins that match if he didn't take a shot those last 15 seconds. And Gross would have lost the match without attempting an offensive move.

Gross is obviously an extremely good wrestler. Some people nitpicking my criticism of his match vs Suriano. He did not look good in that match. I imagine he would agree.

Reactions: Fluffles
Low single Nolf for T2.
Nolf Head pinch for 4, or two. IDK. 4-0 Nolf
Nolf single for 2 Up 6-0 at the break

Nolf and Imar are both banged up. Imar holding his shoulder and Nolf limping off the mat. This will be an interesting final if both guys can go.

lol enjoyed Suriano giving the what the heck gesture at the ref after calling him for hands to the face. He does this all the time so it's nice to see him get called for it. I believe he got 6 or so warnings for it at the Beat the Streets event at Colon yet never got called so I'm sure he thinks it is okay to do and get away with. Always enjoy seeing that guy lose :)

Wow. gotta love high decibel screams by mom in the hot mic. Flo commentating randomly on mats throughout the day. Only 3 mats, and they don't have a commentator on all 3? This is a big tournament why are hot mics just sitting there catching fans random chit chat and loud screams?

suriano didnt have to shoot in on him in the last seconds, but thought that was his best option. but dont sleep on gross if he was still a hawkeye everyone would have a different opinion. hes a phenomenal scrambler. if only he had more offense on his feet. you know some wrestlers prefer their opponents to take shots on them(chamizo, good iranians, good japanese) position is key now and so is mat control

I actually kind of like the strategy Gross took compared to what we see with others vs Suriano which turns into a constant battle of position with minimal risks. Gross says come get me and then beats him anyways. Love it. And I gotta think the weight cut has to affect Gross more than it does Suriano. I am excited for both the 1st and 3rd place matches at 57kg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT