ADVERTISEMENT

Did Iowa Promote Its Worst Recruiter and Fire/Demote its Best 3?

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
There's a lot of talk about how nepotism played no role in Brian's unprecedented meteoric coaching rise at Iowa. It is said that his "superior coaching" or his "great recruiting" is why he leap-frogged all other qualified OC candidates. Shills like Jon Miller are spouting such nonsense, and I'm hoping it is just because they profit from toting the company line.

Now that the dust is starting to settle from our coaching shakeup, what must guys like Reese Morgan be thinking? Morgan has been climbing the coaching ranks since the 1980s, led them to class 4A state championships in 1995, 1998, and 1999 as their head coach/OC.
Morgan came to Iowa when his HS team was on a 3 year winning streak, and became one of the most respected OL coaches in the Big 10. Under Morgan, our OL that was known as the "bullies of the Big 10." He coached two Outland Trophy winning left tackles, plus All Americans Bulaga and Yanda. He even coached Brian Ferentz up to becoming a solid contributor at Iowa.

How was Morgan rewarded his contributions as a top OL coach? Was he ever promoted to "run game coordinator?" Never. Was he considered for OC when O'Keefe left? Nah. Instead, our 17 year veteran coach was demoted to DL coach almost 5 yrs ago. Why? Because 28 year old Brian wanted to come home and his dad had to find a job for him.

Has Brian been on the same level OL coach as Morgan? Well, in his first year, 2012, the OL was an absolute disaster. The Hawks went 4-8 and Brian learned how to coach OL on the job. Yet just two years later, Kirk rewarded him with a huge pay raise and promotion to "run game coordinator." Even the Iowa media questioned the promotion (we have never had such a position before and our OL wasn't all that good.) Kirk said it was merely a "ceremonial" title that didn't change anything, as we still had a good RB coach who would coach the running backs and an OC who called the plays.

Over Brian's 4+ years as OL coach at Iowa, we have had decent run blocking and one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the Big Ten. Unlike when Morgan was OL coach, we are no longer churning out 1st round draft picks in the NFL, our OL recruiting has been way down, and our zone blocking scheme is no longer a thing of envy.

Some justify Brian's promotion because we had a "great" running game this year. I would contend that having the Big 10s 8th ranked rushing offense would not merit promoting the RB coach (let alone the OL coach), and the fantastic play of Wadley should be more attributed to the coach who actually coached him, not Brian? Esp considering many of Wadley's (and LeShun's) runs had nothing to do with the OL and everything to do with his God given abilities. It's a nice story that our OL had a lot of injuries and played with good teamwork and sportsmanship, but they weren't very good at blocking.

Our highest performing units (special teams and RBs) just saw their coach fired. One of our lowest performing units (the OL, which was the preseason #1 OL in the nation staring two of our highest rated recruits) just saw their coach promoted. Then there's Reese Morgan, who coached up the DL, but received no pay bump or promotion of any kind during this shakeup.

Since coaching success does not seem to have anything to do with promotions, demotions, and firings (and personnel decisions, but that's another topic) at Iowa, the only other explanation for Brian's promotion must be that Brian is the best recruiter on the staff and therefore invaluable in that regard? After all, I have read several threads touting what a huge recruiting bump our 53rd ranked class will get with Brian as OC. In my opinion, promoting an existing staff member on a poor recruiting staff would seem to be a horrible way to improve recruiting compared with the bump we would get bringing in a hot shot OC who can recruit.

In any event, let's see if we can confirm that recruiting is Brian's strength, and a justification for his promotions/the firing/demoting of other coaches . Here are all of the commits received by the named coaches since Kennedy and White arrived in 2013:

Commits Obtained '14
Morgan - Reynolds, Hesse, Nelson, Render, LeGrand, Scheel
Ferentz - none
Kennedy/White - Taylor, Kidd, Joly, Jackson, Harris, Ellis, Outsey, Hilliard, Truitt

Commits Obtained '15
Morgan - Wilson, Jansen, Nelson, Waechter, Reiff, Boyle, Paulson, Paulson, Cook, Newborg
Ferentz - Daniels, Vejvoda, Hockaday,
Kennedy/White - Garbutt, Smith, Falconer, Ogwo, Jinning

Commits Obtained '16
Morgan - Beyer, Fant, Schulte, Hockinson, Banwart, Williams,
Ferentz - Rugamba, McNight, Jones, Niemann, Wade
Kennedy/White - Simon, Young, Taylor

In short, anyone who thinks our poor recruiting will suddenly get better because Brian got a raise, give it some thought. Brian has not yet proven to be an above average recruiter. His credibility with out-of-state kids is diminished by being a small town Iowa rich kid who works for his dad and had just a cup of coffee on an NFL practice squad. Next, since recruiting isn't his strong suit, anyone who thinks Brian is more qualified to improve our passing game and coach up our QBs than any other potential OC candidate, I would love to hear why you think that way. Finally, why didn't Morgan get a shot? He's a recruiting machine and has called more plays in his career than Kirk Ferentz himself.

Last edited:
I bet you complain when your Mom bakes an apple pie because you want blueberry. How can you make assessments without the full picture.

A better question might be, do you think Brian will be a better recruiter than Davis, I do.

You don't know who will be added to the staff or what connections they have, the new staff may be better.

You need to lighten up Francis.

Jeepers, you either are related Reese or played for him Brian stole your girlfriend. If you would have left out all the sensational stuff about Brian and just stuck to facts, you might have gotten some real discussion on here, but i am not sure that is what you wanted. You just wanted a place to bitch.

Reactions: 39HISMN
Ferentz recruited Ben Niemann in the 2014 class..He also made the decision to not offer 2015 4 star OL-Sean Foster...Good decision by him, in my opinion..

Actually Jim Reid recruited Ben Niemann...and the verdict is still out on Niemann.

Not sure how you can say not recruiting a 4 star kid who will not even be a redshirt freshman until next year is a "good decision" with any credibility. Especially when the kid is 6'8, 300 lbs, was offered by almost every team in the Big 10, and our team has no legit tackles at this time.

Ferentz recruited Ben Niemann in the 2014 class..He also made the decision to not offer 2015 4 star OL-Sean Foster...Good decision by him, in my opinion..

I'm certainly for giving BF a chance. Anything is a welcome change over GD.

That said, anyone arguing nepotism had nothing to do with the hire is lying to themselves. Even his employment with the Patriots was due to the relationship between KF and Belichick.

At this point, it's hard to quantify how good or bad he is. We'll get a case study next year.

Actually Jim Reid recruited Ben Niemann...and the verdict is still out on Niemann.

Not sure how you can say not recruiting a 4 star kid who will not even be a redshirt freshman until next year is a "good decision" with any credibility. Especially when the kid is 6'8, 300 lbs, was offered by almost every team in the Big 10, and our team has no legit tackles at this time.
Foster was DX'd by Minny....he chose ISU...I'm sure he had tons of other quality options..After Minny DX'd him, they offered Iowa verbal Spencer Williams..a guy BF checked the "yes" box on..

Reactions: rondy
Foster was DX'd by Minny....he chose ISU...I'm sure he had tons of other quality options..After Minny DX'd him, they offered Iowa verbal Spencer Williams..a guy BF checked the "yes" box on..
IIRC, Foster chose ISU over Purdue.

Obviously, Iowa is now the Ferentz's program and time will tell if BF is any good as OC. But, it was and is Dad finding ways to give son every opportunity to be the next highly paid head coach at Iowa. Anybody that denies that aspect of this family business is intellectually dishonest.

I think the op made some very valid points and IMO the program reeks of blatant favoritism, coaches and players to some extent.

Why are all your posts looking to raise some type of shit storm?

There's a lot of talk about how nepotism played no role in Brian's unprecedented meteoric coaching rise at Iowa. It is said that his "superior coaching" or his "great recruiting" is why he leap-frogged all other qualified OC candidates. Shills like Jon Miller are spouting such nonsense, and I'm hoping it is just because they profit from toting the company line.

Now that the dust is starting to settle from our coaching shakeup, what must guys like Reese Morgan be thinking? Morgan has been climbing the coaching ranks since the 1980s, led them to class 4A state championships in 1995, 1998, and 1999 as their head coach/OC.
Morgan came to Iowa when his HS team was on a 3 year winning streak, and became one of the most respected OL coaches in the Big 10. Under Morgan, our OL that was known as the "bullies of the Big 10." He coached two Outland Trophy winning left tackles, plus All Americans Bulaga and Yanda. He even coached Brian Ferentz up to becoming a solid contributor at Iowa.

How was Morgan rewarded his contributions as a top OL coach? Was he ever promoted to "run game coordinator?" Never. Was he considered for OC when O'Keefe left? Nah. Instead, our 17 year veteran coach was demoted to DL coach almost 5 yrs ago. Why? Because 28 year old Brian wanted to come home and his dad had to find a job for him.

Has Brian been on the same level OL coach as Morgan? Well, in his first year, 2012, the OL was an absolute disaster. The Hawks went 4-8 and Brian learned how to coach OL on the job. Yet just two years later, Kirk rewarded him with a huge pay raise and promotion to "run game coordinator." Even the Iowa media questioned the promotion (we have never had such a position before and our OL wasn't all that good.) Kirk said it was merely a "ceremonial" title that didn't change anything, as we still had a good RB coach who would coach the running backs and an OC who called the plays.

Over Brian's 4+ years as OL coach at Iowa, we have had decent run blocking and one of the worst pass blocking OLs in the Big Ten. Unlike when Morgan was OL coach, we are no longer churning out 1st round draft picks in the NFL, our OL recruiting has been way down, and our zone blocking scheme is no longer a thing of envy.

Some justify Brian's promotion because we had a "great" running game this year. I would contend that having the Big 10s 8th ranked rushing offense would not merit promoting the RB coach (let alone the OL coach), and the fantastic play of Wadley should be more attributed to the coach who actually coached him, not Brian? Esp considering many of Wadley's (and LeShun's) runs had nothing to do with the OL and everything to do with his God given abilities. It's a nice story that our OL had a lot of injuries and played with good teamwork and sportsmanship, but they weren't very good at blocking.

Our highest performing units (special teams and RBs) just saw their coach fired. One of our lowest performing units (the OL, which was the preseason #1 OL in the nation staring two of our highest rated recruits) just saw their coach promoted. Then there's Reese Morgan, who coached up the DL, but received no pay bump or promotion of any kind during this shakeup.

Since coaching success does not seem to have anything to do with promotions, demotions, and firings (and personnel decisions, but that's another topic) at Iowa, the only other explanation for Brian's promotion must be that Brian is the best recruiter on the staff and therefore invaluable in that regard? After all, I have read several threads touting what a huge recruiting bump our 53rd ranked class will get with Brian as OC. In my opinion, promoting an existing staff member on a poor recruiting staff would seem to be a horrible way to improve recruiting compared with the bump we would get bringing in a hot shot OC who can recruit.

In any event, let's see if we can confirm that recruiting is Brian's strength, and a justification for his promotions/the firing/demoting of other coaches . Here are all of the commits received by the named coaches since Kennedy and White arrived in 2013:

Commits Obtained '14
Morgan - Reynolds, Hesse, Nelson, Render, LeGrand, Scheel
Ferentz - none
Kennedy/White - Taylor, Kidd, Joly, Jackson, Harris, Ellis, Outsey, Hilliard, Truitt

Commits Obtained '15
Morgan - Wilson, Jansen, Nelson, Waechter, Reiff, Boyle, Paulson, Paulson, Cook, Newborg
Ferentz - Daniels, Vejvoda, Hockaday,
Kennedy/White - Garbutt, Smith, Falconer, Ogwo, Jinning

Commits Obtained '16
Morgan - Beyer, Fant, Schulte, Hockinson, Banwart, Williams,
Ferentz - Rugamba, McNight, Jones, Niemann, Wade
Kennedy/White - Simon, Young, Taylor

In short, anyone who thinks our poor recruiting will suddenly get better because Brian got a raise, give it some thought. Brian has not yet proven to be an above average recruiter. His credibility with out-of-state kids is diminished by being a small town Iowa rich kid who works for his dad and had just a cup of coffee on an NFL practice squad. Next, since recruiting isn't his strong suit, anyone who thinks Brian is more qualified to improve our passing game and coach up our QBs than any other potential OC candidate, I would love to hear why you think that way. Finally, why didn't Morgan get a shot? He's a recruiting machine and has called more plays in his career than Kirk Ferentz himself.

What's your point? We shouldn't hire highly qualified candidates because of Greg Davis?

Do you apply the same logic to airline pilots and physicians?

I feel Brain Ferentz is highly qualified, evidently so did the university. My point is resume's are extremely subjective particularly in college fb. Greg Davis had an long, excellent resume when hired at Iowa. Dabo Sweeney had a relatively limited resume when he was hired as an interim coach at Clemson. "Most qualified" has been overused on this board.

No Davis left Texas because he wasn't producing there, at Texas of all places. Not a good resume. BF may turn out to be better than Davis, but if that's the only standard we're going by, then we have incredibly low standards.
Not a good resume? That's crazy. He won a national championship there, correct? He helped recruit Vince Young and Colt McCoy correct? Davis had an excellent resume.

this-thread-gave-me-cancer-png.30803

Not a good resume? That's crazy. He won a national championship there, correct? He helped recruit Vince Young and Colt McCoy correct? Davis had an excellent resume.

He also presided over the downfall of Texas football. Can't forget that detail.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Good post OP. We should be choosing the best most qualified person for the job. I haven't seen any evidence the BF is that guy, and we could have brought in a hot shot guy from the outside. But time will tell.
who is the hot shot OC that was drooling to come here?

Reactions: McLovin32
who is the hot shot OC that was drooling to come here?

I posted a preliminary list of excellent brand name offensive minds last week that Iowa would have been very competitive to get. Several of them are actively seeking a job right now. I think Iowa settled on BF way too prematurely, and it kind of shows that the fix was in from the start.

Mack presided. GD was not a good fit at Iowa for certain- but to post like he is a travesty as a coach is ridiculous.

I posted a preliminary list of excellent brand name offensive minds last week that Iowa would have been very competitive to get. Several of them are actively seeking a job right now. I think Iowa settled on BF way too prematurely, and it kind of shows that the fix was in from the start.
Shows that Brian was promoted to co-coordinator with the premise that he'd be promoted to OC when Davis retired. Or it doesn't at all

I posted a preliminary list of excellent brand name offensive minds last week that Iowa would have been very competitive to get. Several of them are actively seeking a job right now. I think Iowa settled on BF way too prematurely, and it kind of shows that the fix was in from the start.[/QUOTE
LOL... They were 30-9 at Texas in his LAST 3 years. That was after their NC. If he didn't have a good resume let me critique your little list of OC candidates..

Kirk knew. He knows he is untouchable and could pull this off and most Iowa fans would go right along with it. I don't blame him either. He has a sweet deal and he wants the same for his kid. Nowhere else can you pull a good season out of your ass every 4 or 5 years and make big money and coach as long as you want to.

You all are suckers.

Shows that Brian was promoted to co-coordinator with the premise that he'd be promoted to OC when Davis retired. Or it doesn't at all
Kennedy did not help recruit all of those guys from the east #1, second, Philbin made the o line the bullies, not Morgan,
I could say the same thing for Morgan as well, Shonn Greene made the o line, not the other way round just as Weiger and Robinson and where else you want to go with that?
We took away scholarships from the o line and recruited more receivers and look where that got us....
Morgan moved to d line was not a demotion.
Morgan is a very good coach and recruiter.
Maybe Morgan did not want any more duties, he is getting up there in age.
Lastly--I agree it is perplexing why we cannot have 1-2 o line players per year in the Bulaga-Gallery-Sherff mode.....

Reactions: amahawk
And how many OLs did the Kill-Claeys staff put in the NFL? Zero. On the other hand, Campbell and Tom Manning (ISU OC/OL coach) put several OLs in the NFL in their short time at Toledo. I'd trust their judgment more.

Favoritism and nepotism occur everywhere. I don't think anyone can logically discount that.

Brian Ferentz actually made a lot of sense to me. He's young, has been around winning football at the highest level, and unlike most assistants he will stand up to Kirk. However, as I stated in another thread, the downside to this is if/when the offense starts to struggle Iowa fans are going to complain about nepotism. And then you'll here the "why didn't we go after Chip Kelly (or something equally delusional)?" rants.

Greg Davis had an excellent resume/most qualified correct? Did you like him?

Because business, coaching, politics, etc never has a success with a previously successful candidate. As a result, the most common practice to hire a lower level guy with less experience, especially if that guy is your kid. Anecdote clearly equals a scientific evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT