ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Carton Could Still Be a Hawk

If that article has any truth, Holtman must’ve promised him the moon. Fran probably told him he’d have to earn his minutes. If his main concern is showcasing himself for the NBA then he can go pound sand imho.

We've been down that road with a player recently that had that view and it didn't go real well

Reactions: hawkosx
I’ll state it again in case you didn’t get it the first time Rocky Mtn. It’s been the first or 2nd ranked conference all season. Real time RPI has them currently number 1. You’re the one who said Creighton was a forgettable basketball team, even though they play in front of 18,000 fans a night at home. Get out and watch some basketball.

He should go to ISU as Prohm will let him do whatever to save his job. I find it strange that ISU fans rip the McDermott years (heard Creighton my be one the mix) like the Lick years for Iowa but I think McDermott has done way better at Creighton than ISU during the Prohm era. Delusion. ISU is simply not an anything school but cross country.

You forget about Creighton who was in arguably the best conference in the country this year and ended up in the top 10 at the end of the year? You must not follow basketball besides Iowa.
I'm surprised BE is best conf, 2 teams with winning records vs T25, B10 has 6. BE played 7 games on avg vs T25 and B10 9. 4 ranked teams vs 6 ranked teams. What is the argument that it's the Best?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
You could be right but successful programs are lots of people's style

I don't think he is going to Wisconsin but relationships were formed during his recruitment. He camped there and received his first offer from them if I am not mistaken.
He dropped Bucky from his list when they signed point guard Strickland.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Yeah, I agree completely. If this truly is about his mental health, and being closer to his support system, then I don't get how going to a different school (like Nebraska) solves that. It would make more sense for him to go to UNI.

I mean, according to everything we know, he had a great relationship with the Ohio State coach (I think it was hawkeyebob who had personal knowledge of his recruitment and said Holtman was the decisive factor in DJ picking OSU). Nothing on that front seems to suggest that relationship has been frayed.

I know someone posted a list of schools that have reached out to DJ and Iowa wasn't one of them. Perhaps there have been private talks between Fran and the Carton family (I'm not intimately familiar with NCAA rules) since DJ left Ohio State. Perhaps a lot still has to be figured out in terms of player defections, etc., to determine scholarship availability at Iowa. Perhaps that ship has truly sailed and no contact has been made by either Fran or the Carton family. Who knows.

But at this point, unless someone has firsthand knowledge, or DJ publicly says Iowa is not one of the schools under consideration, I'm not dismissing the possibility that DJ could end up at Iowa.

1) Obviously, there is already a relationship there from DJ's recruitment in high school.

2) Iowa is the closest P5 school to home.

3) I believe it was put out there that he and Joe Wieskamp were pretty cool at one point. I believe he and Patrick were also friends. Point being DJ knows a lot of the Iowa players.

Again, I have no inside information and am just speculating. But I will say this: If, and albeit that's a big if, DJ has interest in coming to Iowa, I can assure you Fran will find a way to make it work. In Fran's system, he'll take all the guards he can get. Especially a 5-star who seems to be a decent kid. I just cannot believe, especially as hard as Fran recruited DJ in high school, that he would tell the Carton family "sorry, not interested, we're full" if they were to reach out.

Marquette and even UNI would make more sense than Nebraska.

If DJ picked an Iowa school, he'd be right at home. It would make sense for him to be close to where he is getting counseling as well as being near family and friends. Just my humble opinion.

Yeah, I agree completely. If this truly is about his mental health, and being closer to his support system, then I don't get how going to a different school (like Nebraska) solves that. It would make more sense for him to go to UNI.

I mean, according to everything we know, he had a great relationship with the Ohio State coach (I think it was hawkeyebob who had personal knowledge of his recruitment and said Holtman was the decisive factor in DJ picking OSU). Nothing on that front seems to suggest that relationship has been frayed.

I know someone posted a list of schools that have reached out to DJ and Iowa wasn't one of them. Perhaps there have been private talks between Fran and the Carton family (I'm not intimately familiar with NCAA rules) since DJ left Ohio State. Perhaps a lot still has to be figured out in terms of player defections, etc., to determine scholarship availability at Iowa. Perhaps that ship has truly sailed and no contact has been made by either Fran or the Carton family. Who knows.

But at this point, unless someone has firsthand knowledge, or DJ publicly says Iowa is not one of the schools under consideration, I'm not dismissing the possibility that DJ could end up at Iowa.

1) Obviously, there is already a relationship there from DJ's recruitment in high school.

2) Iowa is the closest P5 school to home.

3) I believe it was put out there that he and Joe Wieskamp were pretty cool at one point. I believe he and Patrick were also friends. Point being DJ knows a lot of the Iowa players.

Again, I have no inside information and am just speculating. But I will say this: If, and albeit that's a big if, DJ has interest in coming to Iowa, I can assure you Fran will find a way to make it work. In Fran's system, he'll take all the guards he can get. Especially a 5-star who seems to be a decent kid. I just cannot believe, especially as hard as Fran recruited DJ in high school, that he would tell the Carton family "sorry, not interested, we're full" if they were to reach out.

If went to UNI and was able to play right away they might have the best back court in the country.

Lewis, Griffin, Young, Conditt, Jacobsen, and Nixon LOLOLOLOLOLOL. On the other side, Garza, Connor, CJF.

The challenge with this list with Carton is that he is a PG. If you focus on that role and compare the teams, coaches and history developing the position Carton plays, do you get the same answer?

I’ll state it again in case you didn’t get it the first time Rocky Mtn. It’s been the first or 2nd ranked conference all season. Real time RPI has them currently number 1. You’re the one who said Creighton was a forgettable basketball team, even though they play in front of 18,000 fans a night at home. Get out and watch some basketball.

Using your math Iowa plays in front of 15,000 at home

Reactions: iahawks10
Ok, let me put it this way. What’s a better environment on a nightly basis? Creighton or Iowa ?

I’d say Creighton unless it’s a “standing room only” game for the Hawks, which might happen five times per year tops. Creighton always has butts in seats because their game is a social event, and it’s a lively environment. It also helps that they are in Omaha, sell booze, and Nebrasketball is a joke

Iowa’s fans are definitely louder and better, but Creighton has the better student section and higher attendance

I’d say Creighton unless it’s a “standing room only” game for the Hawks, which might happen five times per year tops. Creighton always has butts in seats because their game is a social event, and it’s a lively environment. It also helps that they are in Omaha, sell booze, and Nebrasketball is a joke

Iowa’s fans are definitely louder and better, but Creighton has the better student section and higher attendance
You have to go somewhere after the game. IMHO, year round, Iowa City and the University of Iowa is a much better option.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

:D

Reactions: unoHawkeye
The challenge with this list with Carton is that he is a PG. If you focus on that role and compare the teams, coaches and history developing the position Carton plays, do you get the same answer?
Guy is already a projected second round pick next year, without a school right now, I think he'll be fine wherever he goes.

Does Iowa really need him at this point in time with the people in place and
the talent that is coming in?

Illinois makes sense especially if/when Ayo leaves
I doubt it. I think he goes somewhere else. Illinois is pretty set at guard, too. Frazier and Griffin returning along with Williams. Adding a five star shooter in Miller, and the point guard will almost certainly be Andre Curbelo.

If he wanted to come, just like Iowa, it would be hard to turn down a five star guard. I would think he would want to go somewhere where he runs the team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT