ADVERTISEMENT

Dochertman speculation on KXNO

There’s a limit to the jump Iowa is going to make under KF at this point in his career, but you might be surprised at what it would do to jump up to 70th. Michigan’s offense was 70th nationally in yards per play and yards per game, so you can play a really good Game there if your D is elite. Iowa State was 70th nationally in scoring offense at 26.2 PPG and Iowa was 129th at 15.4.

If Iowa had a 70th level offense (still below average in FBS), the record likely would have only been 1-2 games better, but the narrative would have been completely different. Iowa would likely have competed against PSU and Michigan and maybe they steal one or the other. They’d have definitely beaten Minnesota….but the bulk of the rest of the games would have been significantly larger wins and Iowa would have been no kind of punch line (and BF probably stays at that point).
This is a wholly inaccurate assessment of the Michigan offense and the likes of Iowa State. While Michigan was 70th in total yards per game, they were NOT 70th in yards per play at 6.11 per play. Michigan had one of the most efficient offenses in all of football. Top 5 in passing efficiency. Top 3 in tackles for loss allowed. Top 14 in scoring. When they got in the red zone they scored TD's over 70% of the time. They never turned the ball over.

Last edited:
This is a wholly inaccurate assessment of the Michigan offense and the likes of Iowa State. While Michigan was 70th in total yards per game, they were NOT 70th in yards per play at 6.11 per play. Michigan had one of the most efficient offenses in all of football. Top 5 in passing efficiency. Top 3 in tackles for loss allowed. Top 14 in scoring. When they got in the red zone they scored TD's over 70% of the time. They never turned the ball over.

44th in yards per play

Good point on the changing narrative. That’s something to keep in mind, with the criteria for making the playoff still highly subjective.
Yeah, if Iowa is able to get up into that offensive range with what looks like it’s going to be a really stout D next year, there’s every chance they can go 9-3 or better even in the bigger conference without divisions. Any B1G team that’s 10-2 is going to have a strong shot at a playoff bid, especially if half their game isn’t a national punch line (and a 70th ranked offense would not be a national punch line).

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I moved from Southwest Iowa to Seattle 19 years I will visit every so often in the spring or fall, but no way in hell I'd ever do the summers and winters again.
Summer is beautiful in the upper Midwest, maybe not Seattle beautiful but hardly unbearable. Winters are rough, but they can be pretty bleak in the PNW as well. My family is from Portland and you could often count the number of sunny days from December through February on one hand.

I looked it up, but in double-checking now, I was at NCAA.com under total offense and did a sort by YPP and apparently it doesn’t re-sort and just kept their 70th total yards ranking regardless, apologies there. They were definitely highly efficient, as they were 14th in scoring. Some of that is how incredibly efficient their offense was, how often their D gave them a short field, etc.

The point wasn’t to imply that the ISU and Michigan offenses were equivalent, but to show what offenses ranked in those categories can look like. With Iowa’s D (which looks to be really strong again next year), a competent offense may not be a huge rank in total yards because they may get a lot of shorter fields….the bigger comparison is ISU, though, and the simple fact that the 70th ranked scoring offense this year was a tick over 26 PPG. With Iowa’s D, they’re going to win a shit ton of games scoring 26.

Reactions: jonesy5960
I love Iowa summers. Especially out in the countryside.
Often, if “going back home” is a draw to someone, it’s usually less about nostalgia or coming back to the Iowa winters and more about being close to family. I know he’s from here, but not sure of marital status or where his wife is from. If they’re both from Iowa, that can be a real draw. All that said, Grubb is probably a really low percentage likelihood.

Reactions: LukaDuka

Yep, Mich was also #5 in total offensive efficiency (Iowa 123). It's all about how efficient an offensive is. No team out of the top 25 in off eff has won the B1G championship (east vs west) and only 1 team outside of the top 30 I believe has ever made the playoffs and that was Cincinnati I think at 46 in efficiency.

Yep, Mich was also #5 in total offensive efficiency (Iowa 123). It's all about how efficient an offensive is. No team out of the top 25 in off eff has won the B1G championship (east vs west) and only 1 team outside of the top 30 I believe has ever made the playoffs and that was Cincinnati I think at 46 in efficiency.
While those numbers are true, the “no offense outside the top 30” is going to change to some degree with the playoff going from 4 teams to 12. There’s going to be a path for more kinds of teams in the new system. We’ll absolutely see some big offensive teams without Ds and some big Ds with limited offenses in the playoffs and it’ll be interesting to see how those different types of teams fare.

1. I don’t want a likliter scenario. Who is really running the offense? Does deboar have a big hand in the offense? Maybe it’s grubb maybe it’s him.
2. It’s not like Washington’s offense is lighting the world on fire so far and that’s with great receivers and an experienced qb. What can we do. We still need balanced run oriented offense
I asked the same question last week. I believe DeBoer is heavily involved with the offense so it does beg the question whether Grubb is up to the task without DeBoer.

I love Iowa summers. Especially out in the countryside.
Agree 100%. I've lived in FL for the past 20 years, so Iowa summers sound pretty good to me. There's no substitute for Florida winters, but I miss Iowa summers once June-September roll around. Sure, you get a heat wave here and there, but summertime in Iowa is great. I do miss it.

Reactions: nck24
that's BS! he's been at Iowa for 3 years and its job to teach these soft lineman to block. that last 3 years have been the worst line play in years

thank-you-garvey.gif

I have no idea whether Barnett is a good OL coach or not - I don’t have the skill set to evaluate that nor the access to do so. I will say, though, that we’re likely to see a solid uptick in OL play next year if they bring in an OC that isn’t so absolutely predictable as Brian was the last few years. These few years exposed the OL, but part of it was poor offensive design paired with predictable play calling. That did nobody any favors. Worth noting that Iowa‘s running game continued to perform reasonably well, so it’s not a talentless OL, just massively exposed in a really poorly designed and executed passing game.

Plus, even if Iowa could only match his salary, it would go a lot further in eastern Iowa than in Seattle.
Exactly this. I looked up the value of a dollar by state. Washington: 0.91. Iowa: 1 10. Even if Iowa only matched his current salary, due to cost of living differences it is a 400k raise. That's my sales pitch and I'm sticking to it.

If it were going to be Chryst why have they taken so long to announce?

Wait until a guy like Harbaugh or DeBoer take an NFL job leaving their OC looking for a new job....Hmmm.

Summer is beautiful in the upper Midwest, maybe not Seattle beautiful but hardly unbearable. Winters are rough, but they can be pretty bleak in the PNW as well. My family is from Portland and you could often count the number of sunny days from December through February on one hand.
Many parts of Portland and Seattle are over run with homelessness and crime. It is really very sad and unlike a decade ago there are many places you would not go to in those cities. Hate to see it as it is a beautiful are of the country.

Many parts of Portland and Seattle are over run with homelessness and crime. It is really very sad and unlike a decade ago there are many places you would not go to in those cities. Hate to see it as it is a beautiful are of the country.
My Mother and Sister live in the SW Suburb of Portland and the entire downtown which used to be a great place is a oozing boil of shite , junkies, Antifa , Illegals , gangs and roving tent cities have made it a no go zone, Vehicles are broken into and robbed by the dozens each Day even in " secured " areas , drug needles everywhere , it is a failed City now.

My Mother and Sister live in the SW Suburb of Portland and the entire downtown which used to be a great place is a oozing boil of shite , junkies, Antifa , Illegals , gangs and roving tent cities have made it a no go zone, Vehicles are broken into and robbed by the dozens each Day even in " secured " areas , drug needles everywhere , it is a failed City now.
It is really sad. They need new city and state leadership, otherwise it will not get better and most likely get worse.

And you know why don't you, the answer is obvious. But dumbasses keep voting for them

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
And you know why don't you, the answer is obvious. But dumbasses keep voting for them
My Sister owns a large Tat shop downtown and She used to drive to work park right in front , glass Windows and for Years no problems, now barred and sliding metal window barriers and I bought and sent Her a large well trained Karelian bear dog who goes to work with Her every Day and She now carries , She was , I stress was someone who saw things very differently lets say to Me but She has changed Her way of thinking in the last Decade with the break ins, attempted assaults , junkies and problems that have manifested in Her Daily life. People wake up 1 at a time .

Agree 100%. I've lived in FL for the past 20 years, so Iowa summers sound pretty good to me. There's no substitute for Florida winters, but I miss Iowa summers once June-September roll around. Sure, you get a heat wave here and there, but summertime in Iowa is great. I do miss it.
The nighttime in summertime is the best. Peace and quiet of the country.

My Sister owns a large Tat shop downtown and She used to drive to work park right in front , glass Windows and for Years no problems, now barred and sliding metal window barriers and I bought and sent Her a large well trained Karelian bear dog who goes to work with Her every Day and She now carries , She was , I stress was someone who saw things very differently lets say to Me but She has changed Her way of thinking in the last Decade with the break ins, attempted assaults , junkies and problems that have manifested in Her Daily life. People wake up 1 at a time .
Well that sounds like a fun place.

what are you getting at? they scored 13 points, with their offense being at full strength at qb and receivers heading into that game.
Where is Iowa going to pull a first round qb and all of those talented receivers from? To play in a cold area of the midwest. Iowa can't be a pass heavy team and control the clock. As Ross Delenger would say, Block and Tackle them to death. Iowa can be a team that is superior in blocking and tackling. Iowa can run Michigans offense, Iowa CAN'T run Washingtons offense without a total rebuild that would take at least 5 years. Iowa can tweak it's offense and be top ten next year.

Has Abbott sent buses there yet?

OMG- I lived in those Iowa summers before air conditioning. When I was young spent most of my summers baling hay in Iowa- absolutely miserable. Don't miss it one bit. There are a lot of good things about Iowa but the hot and humid July and August is not one of them.

I have no idea whether Barnett is a good OL coach or not - I don’t have the skill set to evaluate that nor the access to do so. I will say, though, that we’re likely to see a solid uptick in OL play next year if they bring in an OC that isn’t so absolutely predictable as Brian was the last few years. These few years exposed the OL, but part of it was poor offensive design paired with predictable play calling. That did nobody any favors. Worth noting that Iowa‘s running game continued to perform reasonably well, so it’s not a talentless OL, just massively exposed in a really poorly designed and executed passing game.
If you want to see how good, or bad, Iowa OLine is, go back and watch game tape (seriously). While the Iowa Oline is "subpar" they do some things pretty good, the problem is it is never consistently good. Many times it was downright frustrating to watch them. As recently as the UT game you would see the Oline missing assignments that they were missing at the beginning of the season. Frankly, I think they may have been coaching/teaching them to do things that no normal coach would do.

Democratic paradise!

If you want to see how good, or bad, Iowa OLine is, go back and watch game tape (seriously). While the Iowa Oline is "subpar" they do some things pretty good, the problem is it is never consistently good. Many times it was downright frustrating to watch them. As recently as the UT game you would see the Oline missing assignments that they were missing at the beginning of the season. Frankly, I think they may have been coaching/teaching them to do things that no normal coach would do.
I have been clamoring for Years they need to go to basic man blocking because the Kids far too often look confused and allow free runners or just whiff on blocks or worse just stand there dumbfounded like Plumb last Year more times than Icould count.

I have been clamoring for Years they need to go to basic man blocking because the Kids far too often look confused and allow free runners or just whiff on blocks or worse just stand there dumbfounded like Plumb last Year more times than Icould count.
You've seen almost zero outside stretch zones this year. That's because they sucked at it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT