ADVERTISEMENT

Don't understand all the bitching about Dakich.

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
I enjoyed his commentary last night. I thought he called the game with some humor and mentioned the good with the bad. He seemed to be much tougher with the Hoosiers than Iowa. I think some folks on this board would bitch if Vin Scully came in and called a game.

Indiana is the "Harvard of the Midwest"?
He didn't get fired for losing, only for having injured players?
I appreciate a sense of humor, but he says so many stupid and incorrect things.
He frequently rants about a bad call (or non-call), then changes his mind after seeing the replay. He seemed flabbergasted the refs didn't review Jok's foul late in the game, then he suggested Fran might not want to call timeout because it might give them a chance for a review, even though it was after the first foul shot. They couldn't review it once that first free throw was taken.
He's better than that idiot Raftery, that's for sure. But he gets old real quick.

Reactions: papabeef
He didn't get fired for losing, only for having injured players?
I appreciate a sense of humor, but he says so many stupid and incorrect things.
He frequently rants about a bad call (or non-call), then changes his mind after seeing the replay. He seemed flabbergasted the refs didn't review Jok's foul late in the game, then he suggested Fran might not want to call timeout because it might give them a chance for a review, even though it was after the first foul shot. They couldn't review it once that first free throw was taken.
He's better than that idiot Raftery, that's for sure. But he gets old real quick.

Lol. I was going to give you a "like" until the Raftery comment. I'm a big fan of his.

"Onions!" ;)

I don't think it's just Iowa fans who can't stand him.

Ask Michigan State folks what they think of Dick-itch.

The guy is as arrogant as he is stupid. His quips and anecdotes scream nostalgic dumb jock. Listen to him and then Jay Bilas. Big difference.

I don't care for him. Would love to have ESPN substitute Dakich for Jay Bilas with Adam Woodbury as the player interviewed on "94 Feet with Jay Bilas". (Without telling Dakich in advance).

I never heard it called Gucci row before. I did chuckle when he said it.

Then he beat it into the ground.

Judging by the twitter reaction I expected the Heyward thing to be worse. They caught and corrected it immediately and chuckled about it.

I thought he was good last night, called it how he saw it. Was critical of both teams and complimented both teams. Yes he made a few mistakes but what announcer doesn't make a mistake or two. They caught it really quick and corrected it. Some of our fans have very thin skin.

Problem with Dakich is that he gets way too personal in his criticism of players. Last night, he was on Blackmon almost non-stop. Blackmon isn't going to win any awards for his defensive play, but I think he plays more defense than Jok and was a lot better than JBo, who played awful defense last night. Dakich has done even worse with other players in the past. Saying a player makes a mistake or evaluating their strengths/weaknesses is fine, but Dakich crosses a line.

Yup laughed about his mistakes and corrected them. Has a good humor about MSU and Iowa fan issues.

I don't mind him, as I know in advance that some games he just likes to hear himself talk and others the rants go on too long.

Reactions: perryhawk
Maybe I'm wrong but I think by his non stop commenting he is related to Bill (the mouth) Walton...Likes to hear himself talk.

Reactions: papabeef
Not much from what I've seen.
You won't find a bigger Iowa fan / supporter than Gasser.

I think of him as our very own Jack Nicholson.

Dakich also called Woodbury a coward with regard to his "intentional" eye pokes. Incredibly unprofessional for a person in his position to talk like that about a college kid.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I dont hate him, I just dont agree at all with his view of the game of basketball. So anytime he opines about officiating, or how the game should be played I get annoyed. His views, in my opinion, are what is wrong with the game. Jay Bilas on the other hand speaks my language.

So I dont hate him, I just dont like hearing his opinions. haha.

Reactions: NBARange
Send Dakich tweets during the game he announces. If you criticize him in anyway, he will block you.

There was a point late in the game where Jok fouled a guy going to the basket on a fast break. It was a simple foul without any unnecessary physical aggression. However, Dakich could not believe that the play wasn't being reviewed. He whined about this 3 or 4 times. There was nothing to even consider reviewing the play. He was good about calling out some travels/double dribbles that indiana had that were not called though.

There was a point late in the game where Jok fouled a guy going to the basket on a fast break. It was a simple foul without any unnecessary physical aggression. However, Dakich could not believe that the play wasn't being reviewed. He whined about this 3 or 4 times. There was nothing to even consider reviewing the play. He was good about calling out some travels/double dribbles that indiana had that were not called though.
In the NBA, there is a "break away" foul, where you are intentionally fouling from behind with no play on the ball to prohibit a break away layup. If called, you get two shots plus another possession. I don't know if there is a similar foul rule in college.

He didn't get fired for losing, only for having injured players?.
This was in response to Fran saying on a talk show that if Dakich could coach, then he would be coaching. (This was after Dakich attacked Woodbury for the inadvertent eye pokes.) I thought it funny that Dakich is still bothered by the comment as it hits home.

Reactions: Ree4
I like Dakich for the same reason I like Johnny Miller doing golf. They both tell the truth as they see it without worrying about hurting anyones feelings. Honesty goes a long ways.

The truth, as they see it = their opinion. Truth, sometimes, has nothing to do with it.

Opinion goes a long ways. FIFY

Just because he asserts something over and over doesn't make it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumpshot00
I listen to Gary Dolphin every single game... you guys are missin out on the good stuff.
Dolph and Bobby are the best.... and nobody is even close.
Name one insightful thing Dolphin has said......ever. I challenge you! By the way Gary brought his "special" water bottle for the IU game.

Reactions: LGEND24
I don't care for him. Would love to have ESPN substitute Dakich for Jay Bilas with Adam Woodbury as the player interviewed on "94 Feet with Jay Bilas". (Without telling Dakich in advance).

He was 100% right about Woodbury though.

Dakich also called Woodbury a coward with regard to his "intentional" eye pokes. Incredibly unprofessional for a person in his position to talk like that about a college kid.

Unprofessional, but correct.

It's good that they have time outs every 4 minutes so Dakich can catch his breath, because he does not shut up.

I have no problem with him. You want to listen someone horrible. Listen to Walton do a UCLA game. The guy doesn't shut up and just rambles on about something not even related to basketball.

Then he will continue to talk about a Player like they are the next MJ.

I would take Dakich over Walton/Bilas anyway. Jay Bilas is just an arrogant prick.

If Dakich calls a game that your team wins, then he is opinionated and long-winded. If he calls a game your team loses, then he is a total a-hole.

I did think he went over the line with Blackmon in the game, and the play-by-play guy seemed to challenge him on it.

the sad thing about the eye poke was that him and tirico didnt even notice it till they came back from a TV timeout and i would bet they were told about it.

Walton and Dakich - dopplegangers.

I would party with Walton, but find a way to avoid Dakich if I ever met him.

The networks could find better talent to call games if they wanted to.

Currently Stephen Bardo is my favorite guy to call a game. Really liked his work when Iowa beat Purdue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT