ADVERTISEMENT

Dresser..

Announced attendance was around 8,500. Roughly half were Iowa fans.

The one announcer on clown tv kept pointing out the large crowd as a sign of how much faith the fans have in the new staff and it is at least half hawk fans, lol.

Gomez is on a level with Markus Simmons who just got beat on his own mat by Paul Glynn. Don't forget that Gomez is a 133 and Murin a 141. I can't see him going up a weight and being successful against Murin.

Simmons might have been pretty good, but Gomez is still a level or two above him. Your quote on the weight difference with Murin is noted.

Simmons might have been pretty good, but Gomez is still a level or two above him. Your quote on the weight difference with Murin is noted.

If he were two levels above him why did he only beat him 6-4 in OT a month ago?

SOOO, What does that make Dresser, as he essentially didn't put anyone out there at the other 9 weights?? Asking for a friend;)

Reactions: Dagboi
Dresser has a tough road ahead at ISU. I don't see how he'll be able to build and keep a solid line-up given the way he publicly tears down his wrestlers. His comments about the 125 pounder "from 7-11" weren't awful, but why tear down a walk-on trying to contribute to the team? His comments today in the Cedar Rapids Gazette article about Simmons were downright nasty. He sounds like he's trying to drive out more of Jackson's recruits.

Here's what he said about Simmons: "He got tired. He's used to losing when he gets tired, and that's a mentality thing. He has to change his mentality. Everybody gets tired. The great ones get tired and they step it up. He has to decide if he wants to be a great one or if he wants to be a guy that wears a singlet and gets a starting spot...there's a difference."

Time to play the pyramid!
First category:
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Fresno State
UNI

Third category:
Double chocolate lava cake
Warren Buffett
Butter cream frosting
Kevin Dresser

Murin might turn out to be pretty good, but he's not toss up with Gomez good at this point, IMO.
The comments about Gomez sound eerily similar to what everyone was saying about Storr exactly one year ago.
And we all know how that ended up! Until we see anything remotely successful from the coaching staff in regards to "on the mat" performance. ..color me skeptical about these glowing predictions of Gomez.

One more thing. ..If Dresser really made those comments, publicly, about Simmons. ..that's disgusting to call out a kid that way.
This constant habit of shifting blame is a bad look and you can bet your ass that parents of recruits are taking notes.

Reactions: Spoons and Gobblin
Here's what he said about Simmons: "He got tired. He's used to losing when he gets tired, and that's a mentality thing. He has to change his mentality. Everybody gets tired. The great ones get tired and they step it up. He has to decide if he wants to be a great one or if he wants to be a guy that wears a singlet and gets a starting spot...there's a difference."

Dang. Could have said it differently. Build them up, not tear them down. And people wonder why kids are leaving ISU...

As usual ISU has now fabricated something for their myopic fans to complain about rather than their own teams pathetic performance.

You ISU losers should all be fuming at Dresser's inability to put even a functional team on the mat rather than a forfeit when the match was over. That ISU team sucked worse than ANY team I have ever seen. Pathetic ISU, pathetic!

Was it honestly worse than last year?

I'm a very fringe wrestling fan. I'll be honest I'd definitely pay more attention if ISU were even decent. They have been so absolutely awful the last few years I just tune in to the national tournament and call it a year.

People are getting a little soft here, but probably because it has to do with Iowa State.

If Brands said those same words about a wrestler, I'm guessing we would side with Brands.Why waste time "building a guy up" if he doesn't get the message? Plan and simple Simmons lost that match because Glynn was mentally tougher than him.

For starters, you don't wrestle hurt or sick kids if the meet is over. Why the idiots on CF who know nothing about wrestling don't get it and accuse Brands of "ducking" is so laughable it shows the insane ignorance, little brother syndrome and hatred towards Iowa. Second, how hard is it to grasp that Dresser's little rant had zero to do with the forfeit. It was simply a pre-textual effort to get people to NOT focus on the severe ass-kicking an average Iowa team (by our standards) put on the Clones in their home gym when half the fans there wear black and gold. Dear God, if ISU was throwing the ball up 30 in the 4th quarter, I would hope Kirk wouldn't spend all his press conference time complaining about that but maybe focus on how not to get down 30! Actually is really sad and pathetic.

I also find those reports weird because around 184-197 I swear I saw Cash walk out from the warmup tunnel (bathrooms are back there) and sit with other members of team right behind scorers table.

Saw pictures posted on facebook of 2 kids in iowa gear taken with Wilcke Sunday so I'm thinking he was there. even if he was there who cares, Tom didn't send him out, he very well could have traveled and gotten sick while there and they said nope we aren't going to wrestle him.

It's really funny seeing ISU fans losing their minds over this. The fact that they assume it would've been an automatic W for their guy is laughable considering how shitty the entire team was prepared. The few ISU guys who were favored got completely outworked and clearly gassed out early. Add that to the fact that Dresser himself said they were intimidated as hell by the black-and-gold singlet and it's pretty clear Brands did Colbray a favor by not making him take an L, and Dresser a favor by not getting blanked. Regardless, I love the way Brands messes with their heads so much.

Totally agree Gonzo. They are losing their minds to avoid the reality they lost 9 matches. And Dresser knows it. To keep their delusional perceived momentum Dresser raised a total non-issue to avoid the obvious. WTF would these idiots say (and will go to other sports since these ISU fans know zero about wrestling) if they were beating Iowa in football or basketball by 30 with the game in hand and they run out hurt or sick athletes?! Dresser just wanted to take the focus off how bad they are and that their favored wrestlers gassed at home. And he knew the CF nation would jump on board. So to not run out a hurt or sick wrestler in a match that was a blowout is chickenshit? We ran out Stoll after 197. Just so dumb and shows how sad that program and their fans really are.

Dresser has a tough road ahead at ISU. I don't see how he'll be able to build and keep a solid line-up given the way he publicly tears down his wrestlers. His comments about the 125 pounder "from 7-11" weren't awful, but why tear down a walk-on trying to contribute to the team? His comments today in the Cedar Rapids Gazette article about Simmons were downright nasty. He sounds like he's trying to drive out more of Jackson's recruits.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I do not see anything wrong with saying a kid has to decide if he wants to be good or not. Maybe he was a bit specific, but I have heard Brands say things like we have to wrestle even if a kid is ranked higher than us. He has to go out and wrestle. I think he was referring to Bowman and Gunther. Sometimes it is best not to keep the reasons for a person's failures a secret. I prefer direct statements as opposed to generic crap that we hear all the time.

Here are a few thoughts for you guys.
1. Bottom line is if my son is good enough to wrestle D1 someday there is No Way in HELL he would wrestle for that Prick!
2. Forfeiting 197 was a move to that was done to protect a kid from getting hurt even worse.
3. Isu has a program that makes Iowa's problems look like no big deal.
4. Dresser has got some major issues.
5. Iowa fans keep wondering what Murin will do next year. I am telling you right now the only thing that keeps him off the stand next year is if he gets hurt.

Here are a few thoughts for you guys.
1. Bottom line is if my son is good enough to wrestle D1 someday there is No Way in HELL he would wrestle for that Prick!
2. Forfeiting 197 was a move to that was done to protect a kid from getting hurt even worse.
3. Isu has a program that makes Iowa's problems look like no big deal.
4. Dresser has got some major issues.
5. Iowa fans keep wondering what Murin will do next year. I am telling you right now the only thing that keeps him off the stand next year is if he gets hurt.

What do you know that we don't? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Murin and think he'll be solid, but there's a big difference between being a solid contributor and being on the stand. I'll take any info you got.

Reactions: MarvNelson
The point is, it's ok for Iowa to do it...
Not ok for Tom Ryan.
How stupid are Iowa fans if they don't realize how much there was to lose had Wilk e wrestled and lost.
He stayed in Iowa City because he was "Sick".
I am sure he was, but if another coach says it... their protecting seeds.
The forfeit definately protected Wilkes seed.
You have to love some Iowa fans logic.
Don't do what we do...
If you do what we do, you are bad...
If we do what we do then it is totally acceptable and justified.
Just like when Stoll sat out against Snyder.

Wilcke losing to ISU does nothing to his seed. BIGs are next and non big duals mean nothing with seeds. BIG seeds are based on results of BIG matches and his results there would determine his seed for NCAA more than a loss to ISU. Tom Ryan Forfeiting a big ten dual is protecting his seed. You have 9 matches to determine seeds and you don't wrestle everyone in the BIG regular season. So by not wrestling your guy you are limiting his exposure to a loss in the BIG. This directly influences seeds

Iowa has unfortunately become what so many on this board have hated for years. Holding Stoll against Snyder and now Wilcke against ISU's only decent kid? Remind me again of the community's thoughts on Tom Ryan and dual meets?

Edited to include Lee dropping out of Midlands after his loss to Bresser. I do not like this look for the Hawks one bit..

Last edited:
Iowa has unfortunately become what so many on this board have hated for years. Holding Stoll against Snyder and now Wilcke against ISU's only decent kid? Remind me again of the community's thoughts on Tom Ryan and dual meets?

Edited to include Lee dropping out of Midlands after his loss to Bresser. I do not like this look for the Hawks one bit..

Please present your evidence that Wilcke was healthy and ready to go vs. ISU. Thanks.

Reactions: MarvNelson
Says it was chickens***t to not wrestle at 97, we dont roll like that, we found a guy at 7 11 to wrestle at 125, the day will come when the tide changes, mark my words on that. Lmao

I like Dresser and think he was the best possible hire for the Clones. Actually, never thought Pollard cared enough to go after him and spend the money.

With that said, I didnt like this, thought it served no purpose and quite frankly, I lost a little respect for Dresser here.

Not that he cares. :)

I like Dresser and think he was the best possible hire for the Clones. Actually, never thought Pollard cared enough to go after him and spend the money.

With that said, I didnt like this, thought it served no purpose and quite frankly, I lost a little respect for Dresser here.

Not that he cares. :)
Except what parent can accept a HC publicly trying to embarrass your child?
This doesn't help recruiting. In fact, maybe losing Teske was a precursor. He should have been a lock for ISU. ..full ride offer, practicing at RTC, 30 miles from home. ..pretty much a guaranteed 4 year starter. Maybe the Teske family was turned off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT