ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Seat - Temperature Status

If you can recruit to Ames, you can recruit to Iowa City. The problem is the Iowa basketball program itself and that starts with the AD/head coaches. Davis had an effective, but limiting system, so made little effort to recruit. Alford has proven himself to be more of a mid-major coach. Lickliter was in over his head. Fran, like Alford, is just a mid-major coach.

An Iowa coach has to be a great recruiter and game coach to really succeed. It seems hard to find one.

Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.

The decision not to renew Dr. Tom's contact was made prior to that final season. Dr. Tom was not fired.

Hold on. Are all of ISU's players from urban areas or are you just making an assumption because they are black? Tyrese Haliburton is from Oshkosh Wisconsin dude. Their best recruit last year is from Maize Kansas. Zion Griffin is from Darien Illinois which is a white, relatively affluent suburb. Even Lindell Wigginton is from Canada for crying out loud.

That’s not what I said at all. And you cherry picking a couple players is misleading. Nearly half of their team is from Chicago or Milwaukee metropolitan areas. Guys like Naz Long, Niang, Morris, Nader, Horton-Tucker, and Burton were all from out of state metro areas.

ISU has consistently recruited better out-of-state African American players than Iowa for a long time. Iowa’s best teams over the past two decades have largely been fueled by strong instate classes—Horner/Bruner/Haluska and then Woodbury/Gessell/Uthoff/Jok with White and Marble mixed in. Now we are riding JBO/Wieskamp/McCaffreys.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I am not overly surprised we missed on Foster. When I saw him at the state fair with his girlfriend, he just looked like a guy that is whipped... Tough to recruit against puppy love!

If Xavier's girlfriend were still in high school, he would have been a Hawk.

Oh well. Move along.

Whiffing on Foster stings. I'm not worried about missing on Foster so much as I am worried about missing on any sort of talent for another year. This class has got to be considered a failure. This year has proven that Fran is not a very good recruiter or, even if he is, his baggage is turning recruits off. Furthermore, his on the court product is competitive but not exceptional. Many prognosticators, including Iowa writers, do not predict Iowa to be an NCAA tourney team this year. That would make 1 tourney in 4 years. That is not good. Lickliter can't be blamed anymore. That is all Fran.

With that in mind, what is Fran's seat reasonably at? I know we just went to the round of 32, but Tom Davis was fired after going to the Sweet 16. If Fran misses on the Tourney this year, can we reasonably put him on the hot seat?

Personally, I think Fran should be on the hot seat right now, but his seat is cool as a cucumber with Barta in charge.

Fran would be fired if two things occur. One, we don't even make the NIT. Two, he has another embarrassing episode with a return to FRANCON 1.

A question: would we have hired him if we could have pictured where we are at 10 years in?

Reactions: king clone
I am not overly surprised we missed on Foster. When I saw him at the state fair with his girlfriend, he just looked like a guy that is whipped... Tough to recruit against puppy love!

Oh well. Move along.

Uhhmmm...this sounds so pathetic to say, but since others post this type of information, they broke up a long time ago.

Oh well. Move along.
Now that he didn't choose Iowa, he's a pussy whipped "soft" player that's probably gonna suck!

We know........

IMHO, we need a strong year this season (NCAA Tourney) or it is going to get smoking hot, especially given our 2020 class as it stands. My opinions about the game versus SIU-E were not as positive as a lot of other posters around here. Word around the campfire is DePaul has some athletes. Our boys better be ready tonight. Looking at the schedule, this isn’t one we can afford to dump. I am hoping Fredrick and Nunge are much more assertive tonight.

That’s not what I said at all. And you cherry picking a couple players is misleading. Nearly half of their team is from Chicago or Milwaukee metropolitan areas. Guys like Naz Long, Niang, Morris, Nader, Horton-Tucker, and Burton were all from out of state metro areas.

ISU has consistently recruited better out-of-state African American players than Iowa for a long time. Iowa’s best teams over the past two decades have largely been fueled by strong instate classes—Horner/Bruner/Haluska and then Woodbury/Gessell/Uthoff/Jok with White and Marble mixed in. Now we are riding JBO/Wieskamp/McCaffreys.

This is the elephant in the room no one wants to address.

If Foster were white, it's possible his family ties to Iowa would have made a difference. People can scoff at this all they want, but race still unfortunately matters in this country.

Fran lands plenty of top rated white kids. Outside of Tyler Cook, though, not a lot of black kids coming in with other P5 offers. I suppose if the Top 100 were compromised of plenty of white kids that wouldn't be an issue. But that isn't the case.

And when you trot out a starting line up of all white players that's going to give some recruits pause. The puritan police can say what they want about it but that doesn't change the fact.

Did race factor into Xavier's decision? Probably not, at least not at a conscious level. But I'm sure it had an influence to some extent, whether he would admit it or not.

Bottom line: Iowa needs a basketball coach that can haul in more racial diversity and talent if they want to compete at a higher level. It's just that simple. The Joe Wieskamps and Aaron Whites of the world are far and few between.

Fran would be fired if two things occur. One, we don't even make the NIT. Two, he has another embarrassing episode with a return to FRANCON 1.

A question: would we have hired him if we could have pictured where we are at 10 years in?

Fran would have to assault someone before he gets canned.

Fran should have been fired after the 2017-18 season. At about every other P5 school, he would have been.

IMHO, we need a strong year this season (NCAA Tourney) or it is going to get smoking hot, especially given our 2020 class as it stands. My opinions about the game versus SIU-E were not as positive as a lot of other posters around here. Word around the campfire is DePaul has some athletes. Our boys better be ready tonight. Looking at the schedule, this isn’t one we can afford to dump. I am hoping Fredrick and Nunge are much more assertive tonight.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see Iowa as an NIT team. People can boast about Nunge's improvements all they want or how CJ is going to be such a big upgrade from Moss and blah blah blah. You look around the B1G Ten, those two are riding the pine on the top teams in the league.

People seem to forget Iowa isn't the only team in the conference with "talent." And the truth is Iowa still doesn't have a P5 caliber player starting at PG. Connor belongs in the Missouri Valley, but since he's the coach's son...

Regardless, the same issues that have plagued Iowa in the past will continue to be an issue this season. And many fans are going to find out just how big of a loss Tyler Cook is going to be.

Im not cherry picking. I listed some of the best players from the last several years. But I will keep listing. Monte Morris: Grand Rapids Michigan, Cam Lard: Natchitoches LA, Naz Long: CANADA, Nader: Skokie IL by way of Egypt. These are great players who weren't inner city athletes.

I wholeheartedly agree ISU recruits better out of state players. That wasn't your original point. Your point was that Iowa somehow can't recruit black "urban" players but ISU can. Iowa landed a black PG from the bronx, a black PG from chicago, and a black guard from Indianapolis. These are black athletes from "urban" areas. The problem is they just aren't superstar talents.

I think Iowa just has a problem recruiting. Period. ISU is good at it. We are not. We recruit lots of white iowa players because we can't convince anybody good out of state to come here. Don't need to keep shoveling race into this narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildIowaCat
Didn't Barta just give Fran a big extension and buyout clauses year before last? IMO Fran is sitting on a block of ice. He's safe for a while yet. Only thing IMO that will change things is if Carver is less than half empty again like it was under Lickliter. $$$$$$$ talks.

fran buyout is completely manageable. Non-issue.

Fran lost out on Xavier Foster today. If he follows that up tonight by losing at home to the Big East's worst program by far over the past 15 years, he should just walk away. I'm not really joking/exaggerating.

Oh well. Move along.
There have been many excuses but this might take the cake as the craziest. I think we need to accept that Fran can’t recruit. We have always prided ourselves on locking down the Iowa guys, but when it comes to the big fish (that aren’t family or diehard hawk fans) we miss on every single one.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see Iowa as an NIT team. People can boast about Nunge's improvements all they want or how CJ is going to be such a big upgrade from Moss and blah blah blah. You look around the B1G Ten, those two are riding the pine on the top teams in the league.

People seem to forget Iowa isn't the only team in the conference with "talent." And the truth is Iowa still doesn't have a P5 caliber player starting at PG. Connor belongs in the Missouri Valley, but since he's the coach's son...

Regardless, the same issues that have plagued Iowa in the past will continue to be an issue this season. And many fans are going to find out just how big of a loss Tyler Cook is going to be.
How many dunks did we throw down against SIUE on Friday? Lol

Look. Fran isn't getting fired (save for a complete catastrophe or scandal) before Patrick graduates or leaves. Even if we do want to play that game, we need an African American coach to replace Fran, not some mid-major white savior that speaks a little jive.

That’s not what I’m suggesting either. But I think we need to think about some of those bigger picture issues and priorities in order to identify how to fix them.

How does ISU recruit certain player types that Iowa struggles with. Why are out of stare kids from urban areas more likely to go to ISU than Iowa. I’m not entirely sure. But there is something there.
09142019_IOWA_MENS_BASKETBALL_TEAM_05.JPG

Not sure what you mean...lol

Look. Fran isn't getting fired (save for a complete catastrophe or scandal) before Patrick graduates or leaves. Even if we do want to play that game, we need an African American coach to replace Fran, not some mid-major white savior that speaks a little jive.
The race argument is pathetic and makes you look incompetent. It doesn't have to be an African American coach to replace Fran. If the African American coach you desire is a good coach who can actually get the job done then everyone is on board. I'd be fine with a Hispanic coach or Asian coach if they have the ability to recruit and coach basketball. Race has nothing to do with you being a good coach or not. You either have what it takes to recruit and coach or you don't.

The Field Hockey team just won the Big Ten.

And the women’s soccer team had their best year in a long time. Didn’t Track and Field win the Big Ten last spring? The baseball team is as healthy as it has been under Heller the. It has for years. Wrestling is being talked about as best talent they have had in a long time. The women’s Team coming off an Elite aright.

As long as people still spend their money and come to football and basketball games, Bart’s has had a lot of other success in the smaller sports and in fundraising. I’m not sticking up for him but it’s the truth.

Reactions: Suterman
Foster sounds like cant miss by the experts on this board. It’s funny many opinions are out there. But then if they are wrong they go to the next negative. What are the comparisons numbers wise on Garza, Nunge, and Foster. I think they will be interesting. Cause on here Garza is to slow, Nunge can’t play and Foster is cant miss.

I understand your frustration with the constant whiffing on key targets. I believe Fran needs to make a change on staff and target a recruiting shark as a replacement. However, recruiting classes cannot be fully evaluated until they hit the court. In a year or two it will be more appropriate to decide wether this class is good or bad, hell even waiting for it to be full will do. Recruiting hype doesn’t always translate to success, just ask Andy Enfield.

There have been many excuses but this might take the cake as the craziest. I think we need to accept that Fran can’t recruit. We have always prided ourselves on locking down the Iowa guys, but when it comes to the big fish (that aren’t family or diehard hawk fans) we miss on every single one.

how do you explain our starting center or the guy that just left a year early then?

Reactions: owenhawk
I understand your frustration with the constant whiffing on key targets. I believe Fran needs to make a change on staff and target a recruiting shark as a replacement. However, recruiting classes cannot be fully evaluated until they hit the court. In a year or two it will be more appropriate to decide wether this class is good or bad, hell even waiting for it to be full will do. Recruiting hype doesn’t always translate to success, just ask Andy Enfield.

"Recruiting shark" used to mean "bag man." Now it means a marketer to allow players to max out $$$ from their image / likeness. I'm talking bobbleheads, Instagram/TikTok accounts, jersey sales, Panchero's and Paglia's ads... Let's cut these players in on that BTN advertiser money!

This thread.... Thank god for the ignore feature.

edit: not in reference to post right above this.

I’m not sure I’ll dial my expectations back to the NIT yet, but I have to admit, I expected to be much more impressed the other night than I was. One thing is for sure, if we don’t get solid guard play, especially at the #1, we are hosed. We have some very tough games coming up very soon. We can’t be trying to dig out of a hole at the start of the B10 schedule.

I’m not sure I’ll dial my expectations back to the NIT yet, but I have to admit, I expected to be much more impressed the other night than I was. One thing is for sure, if we don’t get solid guard play, especially at the #1, we are hosed. We have some very tough games coming up very soon. We can’t be trying to dig out of a hole at the start of the B10 schedule.

I'm basing my NIT prediction a lot off the schedule.

And Iowa will play a lot of players, but that doesn't mean they're deep.

Chris Hassel talking some smack about the 2020 recruiting class, Fran, and Barta and retweeting a dig at Carver-Hawkeye on twitter. I copied and pasted, not sure how well it's going to come out...

1. Chris Hassel Retweeted
    Irrational Hawkeye‏@IrrationalHawk Nov 10
    Irrational Hawkeye Retweeted Giles Paley-Phillips

Is this Carver-Hawkeye?

Irrational Hawkeye added,

PwYD9vYWnCBng4sF.jpg

0:59
    Giles Paley-PhillipsVerified account@eliistender10
    The annual 'Thriller' performance at Abbington Senior Living is glorious
    14 replies21 retweets235 likes

2. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 1h1 hour ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted Matt Lundquist

Yes. When Barta freezes over.

Chris Hassel added,

Matt Lundquist@cybooty
    Replying to @Hassel_Chris @MatthewBain_ @DMRegister
    Does missing on a hawk fan recruit combined with Fran's mediocre at best record finally mean the end of him in Iowa City?
    4 replies1 retweet47 likes

3. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 1h1 hour ago
    After committing to Cyclones, 4-star Xavier Foster told @MatthewBain_ of the @DMRegister: "It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I’m an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State.” That’s quite the indictment of Fran McCaffery.

26 replies52 retweets439 likes

4. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 2h2 hours ago
    It’s true. Holy
    1f92c.png

Show this thread

5. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 2h2 hours ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted iowa hawtguy

Is this true?

Chris Hassel added,

iowa hawtguy@IowaHawtguy
    Iowa's 2020 basketball recruiting class has 4 commitments but 0 Power 5 offers besides Iowa. Brutal @Hassel_Chris
    10 replies2 retweets31 likes

Show this thread

6. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 5h5 hours ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted Chris Williams

Huge loss for Iowa. And I don’t blame the kid one bit.

Chris Hassel added,

Chris Williams@ChrisMWilliams
    Xavier Foster commits to Iowa State.

Davis was not fired after going to the Sweet 16, in fact, he wasn't actually fired at all. It was known for most, if not all of his last season that his contract was not going to be renewed. The team played well in his last tourney and made it to the Sweet 16, as sort of a FU to Bowlsby.

As an aside, the bulk of the fans wanted Dr Tom gone too.

Also, I don't think Fran's seat is warm at all. It probably should be, but I don't think it is.

Chris Hassel talking some smack about the 2020 recruiting class, Fran, and Barta and retweeting a dig at Carver-Hawkeye on twitter. I copied and pasted, not sure how well it's going to come out...

1. Chris Hassel Retweeted
    Irrational Hawkeye‏@IrrationalHawk Nov 10
    Irrational Hawkeye Retweeted Giles Paley-Phillips

Is this Carver-Hawkeye?

Irrational Hawkeye added,

PwYD9vYWnCBng4sF.jpg

0:59
    Giles Paley-PhillipsVerified account@eliistender10
    The annual 'Thriller' performance at Abbington Senior Living is glorious
    14 replies21 retweets235 likes

2. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 1h1 hour ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted Matt Lundquist

Yes. When Barta freezes over.

Chris Hassel added,

Matt Lundquist@cybooty
    Replying to @Hassel_Chris @MatthewBain_ @DMRegister
    Does missing on a hawk fan recruit combined with Fran's mediocre at best record finally mean the end of him in Iowa City?

3. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 1h1 hour ago
    After committing to Cyclones, 4-star Xavier Foster told @MatthewBain_ of the @DMRegister: "It was weird. My family is Iowa fans. I’m an Iowa fan, personally. But I just felt like I had a better chance at success at Iowa State.” That’s quite the indictment of Fran McCaffery.

26 replies52 retweets439 likes

4. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 2h2 hours ago
    It’s true. Holy
    1f92c.png

Show this thread

5. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 2h2 hours ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted iowa hawtguy

Is this true?

Chris Hassel added,

iowa hawtguy@IowaHawtguy
    Iowa's 2020 basketball recruiting class has 4 commitments but 0 Power 5 offers besides Iowa. Brutal @Hassel_Chris
    10 replies2 retweets31 likes

Show this thread

6. Chris Hassel‏Verified account@Hassel_Chris 5h5 hours ago
    Chris Hassel Retweeted Chris Williams

Huge loss for Iowa. And I don’t blame the kid one bit.

Chris Hassel added,

Chris Williams@ChrisMWilliams
    Xavier Foster commits to Iowa State.

Yep, it couldn't have been said any clearer.

Fran should have been fired after the 2017-18 season. It's amazing he's still here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT