ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe Arnold

I don't think PK would be very effective at 157 even if he could cut that much. He looks great at 174 without cutting weight and he didn't cut in HS, he wrestled up. I don't think cutting weight is his strong suit. Having PK, MC, GA, and AF manning 165-184 is a good thing. Get the 3 best on the mat and the 4th is depth for all three weights. I hope Glazier comes back at 197. Bring in Blaze at 157 (along with his brother) and let Blaze, Coby, Victor, and Anthony (who knows) battle it out for 157. The winner at 157 will be AA caliber for sure.
Why would Blaze transfer?

Reactions: USPMAN
There are a lot more explosive and quick guys at 165 than 174. PK struggles with the quick, athletic guys. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue for him. That is why I think he will finish higher at 174 this year than he would at 165, even if he is undersized.
He'll finish higher at 174 than 165 this year because 165 is loaded. He'll finish higher at 174 this year than Caliendo will at 165 because of the depth at 165, and Caliendo beat him out for the spot.

Why would Blaze transfer?
He might not, but why wouldn’t he consider it? He’s a true freshman with AA potential already that is not going to develop at a level he could at Purdue. Iowa room gives him top guys below and above his weight to continue that upward trajectory. Bring in Marcus at possibly 141, with room to grow and a redshirt to slot in at 149 down the road when needed

There are a lot more explosive and quick guys at 165 than 174. PK struggles with the quick, athletic guys. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue for him. That is why I think he will finish higher at 174 this year than he would at 165, even if he is undersized.
I could be wrong, but it appears he is working a little more upper body and maybe that has helped his ankle pick attack? He certainly has looked comfortable his last several outings.

Because he is redshirting and kennedy is there. next year we have a problem

Don't ambush me because I've been traveling abroad - but is the jury our on Kueter on whether he takes a shirt or goes full time this year?

Again, just got back and playing catch up and don't have time to comb through the threads. One shot sentence will suffice.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Just because you certify at a weight doesn't mean you made that weight. 165 down to 157 is still 8lbs. And PK isn't giving up much size now at 174.

Don't ambush me because I've been traveling abroad - but is the jury our on Kueter on whether he takes a shirt or goes full time this year?

Again, just got back and playing catch up and don't have time to comb through the threads. One shot sentence will suffice.
Not an insider, but after his first match a lot of us assumed the shirt was going to be used, but then he got a 2nd match Monday night and looked very slick but was only on the mat for like :45, my uninformed opinion is that he goes against Lucas Davison tomorrow night for a real data point and make a decision from there. We don't have time to be sitting Hill if he is our guy. Either BK looks like a world beater tomorrow and he's our horse or no and he's not our horse.

I get ya, but these guys are all short besides Riggins, Then we have the youngest Ferrari brother coming in. Gabe can most likely bulk enough to be natural 184, but his weight is def 174 right now. Kennedy stays at 174 and adds a few lbs, the youngest Ferrari redshirts then he mans 197. I'm just spitballing but this makes the most sense. I would love to see Riggins jump levels from his experience this season, I see obvious improvement but not sure about his peak.
I’m assuming this is a typo. The YOUNGEST Ferrari mans 197? Dude won Ironman at 165 a month ago. He’s going to have to bulk up to be a legit 184lber. 174 is probably his natural weight

I’m assuming this is a typo. The YOUNGEST Ferrari mans 197? Dude won Ironman at 165 a month ago. He’s going to have to bulk up to be a legit 184lber. 174 is probably his natural weight
This is exactly what Grip is referring to as the problem. In the mid-upper weights, Iowa has 4 hammers - Caliendo, PK, Gabe, and Anthony. They are all best suited to be either 65 or 74. To get them all in the lineup, one has to do an OK St cut to suck down to 57 and one has to dreamer bulk to 84, but both of those guys will be compromised at those weights, and if you don't get one of the guys to be a skeletor-looking 57, then one of them has to bulk all the way up to 97.

This is exactly what Grip is referring to as the problem. In the mid-upper weights, Iowa has 4 hammers - Caliendo, PK, Gabe, and Anthony. They are all best suited to be either 65 or 74. To get them all in the lineup, one has to do an OK St cut to suck down to 57 and one has to dreamer bulk to 84, but both of those guys will be compromised at those weights, and if you don't get one of the guys to be a skeletor-looking 57, then one of them has to bulk all the way up to 97.
Hasn't Nelson Brands stated he was going to return next year?

Tell me where Starocci placed as a true freshman?
Tell me where Starocci specifically called out the reigning national champion and said he was coming for him to beat him and win a national championship that year only to duck him instead.

And there were no nationals in Starocci's true freshman redshirt year anyway, so nobody placed anywhere. Starocci won the Southern Scuffle FWIW.

I get ya, but these guys are all short besides Riggins, Then we have the youngest Ferrari brother coming in. Gabe can most likely bulk enough to be natural 184, but his weight is def 174 right now. Kennedy stays at 174 and adds a few lbs, the youngest Ferrari redshirts then he mans 197. I'm just spitballing but this makes the most sense. I would love to see Riggins jump levels from his experience this season, I see obvious improvement but not sure about his peak.
Maybe Ferrari can be 197 before he graduates, but I’m skeptical about it as a redshirt freshman. If his brother by some miracle stays, he can man 197 for 3 years unless he gets tired of the cut or bolts for MMA, which is looks like is the only thing him and Anthony are doing this semester.

Tell me where Starocci specifically called out the reigning national champion and said he was coming for him to beat him and win a national championship that year only to duck him instead.

And there were no nationals in Starocci's true freshman redshirt year anyway, so nobody placed anywhere. Starocci won the Southern Scuffle FWIW.
Good for him. Fact is he redshirted anyway.

Reactions: T8KUDWN

What exactly was it he was supposed to say - I'm afraid of him? Should he have shown all of the mild mannered class and maturity exhibited at all times ;) by Starocci at the same age? Has it in fact been determined he won't wrestle Starocci? See, there are still a number of questions and if in fact he does have a back issue, that isn't exactly ducking your opponent.

Have a stone mason carve these two:
Kennedy never wrestles 157 and Angelo never redshirts (other than medical).
Don’t know Hawk’s 65-to-84 solution, but having the problem is a good thing. Forget melting down a “skeletor” for 57. Either recruit, portal, train up Coby, or muscle up a 49. One thing your “interesting” season has shown is that Iowa should never be underestimated. About ready to bust for Feb 9.

Tell me where Starocci placed as a true freshman?

Fine, you win. He totally sucked. Only 60% bonus rate.

2019-20 / REDSHIRT SEASON:
Season: Wrestled unattached in open tournaments during his redshirt season...Went unbeaten during the year...Posted an 18-0 overall record with three pins, two tech falls and six majors...Won the 174-pound Southern Scuffle title.

Season: Wrestled unattached in open tournaments during his redshirt season...Went unbeaten during the year...Posted an 18-0 overall record with three pins, two tech falls and six majors...Won the 174-pound Southern Scuffle title.
Misses the point. He clearly "ducked" Michael Kemerer by not taking the spot from Hall right?

It's such a stupid debate. Can't wait for PSU fans to admit Starocci is "ducking" Gabe when he decides not to use his final year of eligibility next year.

I like Patrick Kennedy, he's tough, hardnosed, very gritty and a damn tough wrestler.
If he doesn't drop to 157, next season, I don't see him wrestling postseason for the Hawks.
There's a possibility Caliendo makes the cut after Franek leaves, but I honestly would be surprised if that happens.
My opinion right now is PK cuts to 157 next year or he isn't in the lineup.

Misses the point. He clearly "ducked" Michael Kemerer by not taking the spot from Hall right?

It's such a stupid debate. Can't wait for PSU fans to admit Starocci is "ducking" Gabe when he decides not to use his final year of eligibility next year.
I get it. Just note that I’ve not been the least bit vocal on the subject here or “back home.” Gabe looks really good.

Reactions: hlstone

I'm not the one throwing the "ducking" accusations around.

What exactly was it he was supposed to say - I'm afraid of him? Should he have shown all of the mild mannered class and maturity exhibited at all times ;) by Starocci at the same age? Has it in fact been determined he won't wrestle Starocci? See, there are still a number of questions and if in fact he does have a back issue, that isn't exactly ducking your opponent.
It probably would have been wise to keep his mouth shut on this one. I honestly think Arnold is the only person this year who has a chance to get a win against Starocci. Not that he has any shot of beating him on the mat but rather Starocci hurts him on purpose and gets DQ’d. Carter is a different animal this year and Arnold’s best plan would be to take a family vacation far away when Penn State visits Iowa in February.

Reactions: TrollsRus
It probably would have been wise to keep his mouth shut on this one. I honestly think Arnold is the only person this year who has a chance to get a win against Starocci. Not that he has any shot of beating him on the mat but rather Starocci hurts him on purpose and gets DQ’d. Carter is a different animal this year and Arnold’s best plan would be to take a family vacation far away when Penn State visits Iowa in February.
Cringe Wow GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

Reactions: Chuck C and LIV4GOD
I'm not the one throwing the "ducking" accusations around.
He didn't duck anybody because he never called out the reigning champion by name and said he was coming for him and was going to beat him and win the title as a freshman. If you do all of that and then don't show up on the mat when it's time to put your money where your mouth is, that is ducking in the highest degree. He called Starocci overrated then ducked him. That's pretty lame.

overrated…i said what i said #seeyousoon
That’s who I’m going to beat next year. So, these are goals that I have set for myself, and whether people like me or not, I honestly could care less. But my goal is to beat Carter Starocci. My goal is to be a 2024 NCAA national champ at 174 pounds. So, by any means necessary, that is what I will do. So, hate me or love me, I’m Gabe Arnold.
I kind of loved him until he ducked out. Those are words you need to back up.

Reactions: AriesRam
Would we have gotten Caliendo if we didn't go after Franek? That would mean we should be comparing Caliendo + Franek+whoever mans 157 the next 2 years vs Chittum.
Agree.

I'm in the camp that I don't see Chittum as a big loss...yet.

Reactions: Trapper85
Better coaching, better facilities, better NIL, and better workout partners to start with. I'm not saying he will, just hoping.
And...more scholorship money (is Purdue fully funded?), team success, HWC, fan support and Carver experience...Purdue is an awesome school (my son is a freshman there) and closer to Toledo. I am just hoping too.

If Gabe's Dad wants to confirm, deny, or let sleeping dogs lie he can. What I heard was that Gabe slipped a disc in his back and will redshirt this year. My thoughts are PK will go to 157, Gabe to 74 & hopefully Angelo Ferrari to 84 as a true freshman. Unless they can grab someone out of the portal for a year.
Can PK get that small?

He didn't duck anybody because he never called out the reigning champion by name and said he was coming for him and was going to beat him and win the title as a freshman. If you do all of that and then don't show up on the mat when it's time to put your money where your mouth is, that is ducking in the highest degree. He called Starocci overrated then ducked him. That's pretty lame.

I kind of loved him until he ducked out. Those are words you need to back up.

What in the heck are you talking about? Can anyone help me out here?

if he had won the soldiers salute title his redshirt year i would be impressed….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT