ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson is going to be the new crowd favorite

Stevenson is a very talented guy. Gonna win a lot of big matches. But he's about as arrogant as they come and has been for quite awhile. He's over the top and very full of himself. He's all about "look at me" and he wants the attention & doesn't give a rats @ss about the team. Funny thing is goofer fans are standing in line to stroke him off & defend his arrogance.

I'm not sure most of you have any idea about what Gable's character is. I've watched him on social media for several years and he is actually high character, and is very gracious to others. I think that Gable had been waiting for his first college wrestling match for so many years, that he got caught up in the moment and acted out. I'd be very surprised if any of this continues, even marginally, in the future.

I dont like the showboating during a match because it is bad wrestling technique-- Exposure, loss of focus, increased risk for no benefit.
I dont mind the exhuberance, drama and acting out BEFORE or AFTER the match for one reason. We need more fans. Wrestling is entertaiment and a some drama helps keep partial fans engaged. Like it or not it is the partial fans are the source of potential growth and the key to growth and financial independence of this sport.
Drama on boys and girls. We need it cuz there is no such thing as bad press. (Conor McGregor anyone?)

I never claim to be a scholar and sit here with fighting spellcheck but if you would like to compare success in life we can do that any time my friend. Now back to the wrestling and Gilman thing would you like to just admit your wrong so we can move on.
How do you define success?

I dont like the showboating during a match because it is bad wrestling technique-- Exposure, loss of focus, increased risk for no benefit.
I dont mind the exhuberance, drama and acting out BEFORE or AFTER the match for one reason. We need more fans. Wrestling is entertaiment and a some drama helps keep partial fans engaged. Like it or not it is the partial fans are the source of potential growth and the key to growth and financial independence of this sport.
Drama on boys and girls. We need it cuz there is no such thing as bad press. (Conor McGregor anyone?)

I'm a fan of McGregor, but not every sport needs those antics. That's the fight business. This is NCAA athletics.

And NCAA is a business as well. It just does not pay athletes. If you dont believe me go ask any coach or admin from Eastern Michigan.
I never suggested that the NCAA isn't a business.

NCAA wrestling isn't comparable to the fight business. Those guys are getting knocked unconscious. People are paying to see gruesome fights. The audience can handle extreme sh*t talking and antics. I'm ok with fighters taking extreme measures (within reason) to sell PPVs. It's not comparable in any way, shape, or form to NCAA athletics.

Reactions: 24 so far
I never suggested that the NCAA isn't a business.

NCAA wrestling isn't comparable to the fight business. Those guys are getting knocked unconscious. People are paying to see gruesome fights. The audience can handle extreme sh*t talking and antics. I'm ok with fighters taking extreme measures (within reason) to sell PPVs. It's not comparable in any way, shape, or form to NCAA athletics.

I agree sort of-- I think we need more of that but not all of it. NCAA athletes also get injured, often permanantly with no payday. Football more than anything. It is the Biggest fraud in sports IMO.

Fake wrestling (which I loathe) is full of antics and faked injurys with some real blood. It is VERY profitable and it is popular --obviously not for the competition but for the excitement/drama.

Stoicism is a great philosophy of and for wrestlers but it rarely fills the seats.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/11/the-highest-paid-star-in-the-wwe-is/

NCAA wrestling is entertainment. Those are Brands words, I agree with him and dont mind some showboating for the benefit of the sport. When I saw CC throw Terry on ESPN etc I was ecststic for the sport.

Reactions: rmxxl
I never claim to be a scholar and sit here with fighting spellcheck but if you would like to compare success in life we can do that any time my friend. Now back to the wrestling and Gilman thing would you like to just admit your wrong so we can move on.

What do you bench?
boogie-03.jpg

Reactions: dunkej01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT