ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson is going to be the new crowd favorite

I have no idea what he said. I think he told us in his post match Flo interview which I watched but def don’t remember.

I really don’t care what a kid does after a match or during it as long as it’s in the confines of the rules.

Of course there are limits. But neither gable the other day nor Gilman bothered me anymore than the “I can’t hear you” nickal did when he spladled brooks. I just don’t know what the line is for the people who do care.

Well your whataboutism failed so I guess you have to go with something. It is clear that Gilman was celebrating a comeback in front of a hostile crowd, told the guy good match, and complimented him afterwards in the broke him from bottom interview. Here is what he said: “I welcome the challenge,” Gilman said. “He came out there to beat me and I really appreciate that. I genuinely mean that too. He came out there to beat me. Not a lot of guys do that. They wrestle to keep it close. It was a good match.” Gilman had his moments, especially off mat...but he normally took a win or loss professionally as the next guy and I don't recall him taunting a guy in the middle of the match like a Walmart version of Ali.

If I were a MInne fan, I would be more concerned that a guy who was taunting was not imposing his will...because after the initial points, he wasn't even really trying to get bonus. Folk is not freestyle...the refs will not call HWYs for stalling on their feet forcing guys to take bad shots so Gable can do easy go behinds or use his quick counter offense. The sticking his leg out and dancing inadvertently exposed a weakness: Stevenson needs guys to shoot to get easy points versus working for it. All it took was a takedown and a rideout in the third period. I like Stevenson and would have loved it had he chose Iowa but now that we have Cass, I think I am ok with how things worked out.

Agree with everything... Just making a point to know some details before you spout of to us about our moral code when it comes to supporting student athletes at the university of Iowa.

And for the record... I grew quite tired of Gilmans antics sometimes and his little speech at that “fight night” thing disgusted me, and many others that are close to and support the program.

Just for record, being told Micic referred to Desanto with the R word doesn’t make me feel any differently about Desanto’s actions. Not really sure what message u r trying to share. This isn’t confrontational just not sure. Which is fine, we can move along.

Well your whataboutism failed so I guess you have to go with something. It is clear that Gilman was celebrating a comeback in front of a hostile crowd, told the guy good match, and complimented him afterwards in the broke him from bottom interview. Here is what he said: “I welcome the challenge,” Gilman said. “He came out there to beat me and I really appreciate that. I genuinely mean that too. He came out there to beat me. Not a lot of guys do that. They wrestle to keep it close. It was a good match.” Gilman had his moments, especially off mat...but he normally took a win or loss professionally as the next guy and I don't recall him taunting a guy in the middle of the match like a Walmart version of Ali.

If I were a MInne fan, I would be more concerned that a guy who was taunting was not imposing his will...because after the initial points, he wasn't even really trying to get bonus. Folk is not freestyle...the refs will not call HWYs for stalling on their feet forcing guys to take bad shots so Gable can do easy go behinds or use his quick counter offense. The sticking his leg out and dancing inadvertently exposed a weakness: Stevenson needs guys to shoot to get easy points versus working for it. All it took was a takedown and a rideout in the third period. I like Stevenson and would have loved it had he chose Iowa but now that we have Cass, I think I am ok with how things worked out.

/end thread

Again, it doesn’t bother me. I don’t know the line. Was mark hall slamming the hammer after.... no idea what match.... too much?

To me none of it is too much, I just prefer the youth wrestler/Nolf/lee approach of neatly placing one’s ankle bands on the mat, shaking hands, and celebrating with teammates and coaches.

Reactions: el dub
Just for record, being told Micic referred to Desanto with the R word doesn’t make me feel any differently about Desanto’s actions. Not really sure what message u r trying to share. This isn’t confrontational just not sure. Which is fine, we can move along.

Just for the record, no one here cares how you feel... Moving along then.

Reactions: wasdt21
I think GS just realizes that there probably won't be much celebrating for Gopher fans at home against decent opponents during the course of his college career.

Eggum needs to reign him in a bit and I imagine he will.

Reactions: rassling
And just so we can get a feel for your morals... Was it okay for Micic to taunt Austin by calling him a “retard” at several stoppages during that match? And if not, should Michigan fans turn their back on him and not support him as a stutent athlete? Honest question...

You’d be extremely hard pressed to find one post on this board that defended Austin’s actions in that match. So again... Cute try.
Did he really do that?

That's worst than any of the other extracurriculars by Hawks and non Hawks mentuoned un this thread. Almost justifies the kamura... almost.

Ok kid?? Listen up you sniveling snot, I don't have time for a punk like you. Go ball to your mommy that people are being mean to your goofers on the HR. Plain & simple I've never seen a Hawk cock off like that on the mat and I don't think I ever will. Also think it would be safe to say that if a Hawk showboated on the mat like that, the reception they would get from the coaching staff would be less then pleasant.
Give me your sleeve so I can blow my sniveling snot, friend. Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, run into somebody's huddle that is me..GO GILMAN! Gilman and Gable could very well be the bookends to the next Olympic team. Embrace it brah.

From someone who probably had more at stake in the White-Stevenson match than you. I was more concerned about the head slaps than anything-afraid Derek was going to retaliate and knock him across the mat.

The rest of it-the Ali Shuffle, the celebration at the end- who cares, just made him look like the immature brat he is-it won't take long before he celebrates with a little more class and control. All he has to do is watch the end of Fix's match-shake hands and walk away-which is how men do things.
Why you dogging a Cassius Clay dance?

I think GS just realizes that there probably won't be much celebrating for Gopher fans at home against decent opponents during the course of his college career.

Eggum needs to reign him in a bit and I imagine he will.
Hell no. Let him float. I mean did TnT take control of Gilman?

I actually had no problem with him pounding his chest after beating the number 3 guy. What I did have a problem with is the Mohamed Ali type foot shuffle in the third. Not only was it wrong but at that point he had done nothing special for the last 5 minutes of the match , and the shuffle looked terrible like he had lead blocks on his feet.

That's the part that got me as well. He looked like a total idiot doing that Ali shuffle shit, and as we've all been saying, aside from the initial TD and 4 NF points, he didn't do jack sh*t. I know he's a kid, so I blame the idiot things he did on the staff and/or his mentor(s). Whether he knows it or not, he's an ambassador of the sport; he needs to act like it.

Reactions: Grip220
That's the part that got me as well. He looked like a total idiot doing that Ali shuffle shit, and as we've all been saying, aside from the initial TD and 4 NF points, he didn't do jack sh*t. I know he's a kid, so I blame the idiot things he did on the staff and/or his mentor(s). Whether he knows it or not, he's an ambassador of the sport; he needs to act like it.
He's going to mess Stoll up. Here is your boy Gilman. Acting like an IDIOT. Come on man, he had to get thrown out of Team huddles. Do you approve of that NashHawk?:

How much shady body harm are Gilman and Desanto going to create this year? Word in the Hawkeye room is their new transfer is out of control.

He's going to mess Stoll up. Here is your boy Gilman. Acting like an IDIOT. Come on man, he had to get thrown out of Team huddles. Do you approve of that NashHawk?:

How much shady body harm are Gilman and Desanto going to create this year? Word in the Hawkeye room is their new transfer is out of control.

lol thanks for sharing this link. Been awhile since I've seen this. Gilman's awesome.

weak... Gilman doesn't come across badly in that video

I think you guys found Quickie's hot button.

20121129-Staples-3D-Printing-Easy-Button.jpg

Actually, Minne let him walk right in to the huddle in a few duals before Minne finally grew some hair on their nuts and kept him out the last time they wrestled Minnesota. Dick move? Sure. Funny as all get out? Hell yea. Also, and those out there can correct me if I'm wrong, but he only would do it against Minnesota. So I prefer this one.

rsz_mn_faces_1.jpg

That's a great clip! Haven't watched that for awhile. Man, I enjoyed that.

Reactions: Poppycaulk
Actually, Minne let him walk right in to the huddle in a few duals before Minne finally grew some hair on their nuts and kept him out the last time they wrestled Minnesota. Dick move? Sure. Funny as all get out? Hell yea. Also, and those out there can correct me if I'm wrong, but he only would do it against Minnesota. So I prefer this one.

rsz_mn_faces_1.jpg
Thanks for backing me up on how SHADY Gilman was/is. LOL

you just keep right on crying peepee, it makes us appreciate what we have even more.

Love Gilman thanks for sharing this I had never seen this reminds me of why I like him so much and by the way the only thing wrong here was the fact that the losing wrestler while shaking hands opened his mouth. There is no time for trash talk there never was never should be Even if he had won. And if John Smith knew his wrestler had said something he would have had words with Picc not Gilman.

Last edited:
Did he really do that?

That's worst than any of the other extracurriculars by Hawks and non Hawks mentuoned un this thread. Almost justifies the kamura... almost.
Almost? Thats pretty severe. Micic deserved it if he said that. (I got no sympathy for people that poke the bull and get the horns) I wonder why the ref. didnt stop that and warn him. Wouldnt that be a penalty point and ejection if it continued? How is that any different than a racist comment on the mat? This puts that situation in a whole new light to me.

Almost? Thats pretty severe. Micic deserved it if he said that. (I got no sympathy for people that poke the bull and get the horns) I wonder why the ref. didnt stop that and warn him. Wouldnt that be a penalty point and ejection if it continued? How is that any different than a racist comment on the mat? This puts that situation in a whole new light to me.
If true, it certainly does, but that’s the first I’ve heard it. If true, I’d like to see Micic broken and face mushed for a minute while the guy beating him yells - “this is my house”

Again, though, where’s the proof?

I find it odd as well that this is the 1st we heard of it. Gobblin has been a pretty reliable poster over the years though. I cant see him just throwing something out there.
I could see ADS being ashamed someone called him that - though he shouldn’t be, but that’s human nature. It wasn’t me, but you would think if everyone was making you Enemy No. 1, you’d want to present your case.

Doesn’t explain DeSanto’s teammates at Drexel uniformly wanting him gone despite his talent

I'll give Gilman this...he's figured out the self-promotion thing for sure. He gets talked about more than any other zero time national champion who comes to mind.

Reactions: danoftw
I'll give Gilman this...he's figured out the self-promotion thing for sure. He gets talked about more than any other zero time national champion who comes to mind.

Flo has non-stop Suriano coverage and the only national championship he has was a team championship that he won sitting in the stands.

Last edited:
Love Gilman thanks for sharing this I had never seen this reminds me of why I like him so much and by the way the only thing wrong here was the fact that the loosing wrestler while shaking hands opened his mouth. There is no time for trash talk there never was never should be Even if he had won. And if John Smith new his wrestler had sad something he would have had words with Picc not Gilman.
Did you get your GED?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT