ADVERTISEMENT

Gable Steveson is going to be the new crowd favorite

From someone who probably had more at stake in the White-Stevenson match than you. I was more concerned about the head slaps than anything-afraid Derek was going to retaliate and knock him across the mat.

The rest of it-the Ali Shuffle, the celebration at the end- who cares, just made him look like the immature brat he is-it won't take long before he celebrates with a little more class and control. All he has to do is watch the end of Fix's match-shake hands and walk away-which is how men do things.

8:09 when it starts. That is not showboating in my book. It was more "Holy s&*t, I won the match." Looked to me like whatever he said to Lizak was not disrespectful either, more like Good match... hard to tell with the camera angle.

Off topic but it’s interesting to look at how the nearfall points were called in that match vs how they were called in Fix/Lizak. Night and day difference. That being said, the end result is likely the same in each. Rant over

This has the majority of what people are upset about. He stuck his leg out trying to bait him to take a shot and engage a couple times.

From someone who probably had more at stake in the White-Stevenson match than you. I was more concerned about the head slaps than anything-afraid Derek was going to retaliate and knock him across the mat.

The rest of it-the Ali Shuffle, the celebration at the end- who cares, just made him look like the immature brat he is-it won't take long before he celebrates with a little more class and control. All he has to do is watch the end of Fix's match-shake hands and walk away-which is how men do things.

I agree, the head slaps were cheap and unnecessary and had nothing to do with setting up a shot.

I don't think anyone here would actually complain if he was doing this as a Hawk. This community has excused much worse before (see above post)

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I don't think anyone here would actually complain if he was doing this as a Hawk. This community has excused much worse before (see above post)
You're absolutely wrong, we would complain and did when Gilman acted like a jackass. I have zero tolerance for that, especially from the team I'm forever invested in. With that being said we still love Gilman despite his short comings. Just because your bother/ son can be a prick sometimes doesn't mean you stop loving them.

With that said, we don't love Gable and we never will. So we especially don't like it when he does that crap:)

For those of you who say Gilman didn’t showboat after beating lizak, I would disagree. He def gestualted and said something to Ethan.

What’s the line between a celebration and showboating?
You’re trying a bit too hard if you think that is showboating. That was a pretty dam good comeback by Gilman and I’d guess just about anyone would be pretty pumped - not sure I’d classify that as showboating. By chance do you know what Gilman said? I’ve seen plenty of average wins (like gables) celebrated by Rutgers wrestlers that in my opinion could be defined as showboating (just about any Richie Lewis win dating back to IC days).

With that said Gilman at times has done things that make me cringe. I do like him just like most teams like their guys. Doesn’t mean you can’t comment on another teams clown - Gable is a stud but he acted like a clown in my opinion. I don’t think he will lose much if at all but I have a feeling if he does lose in Pittsburgh it will sound like a Hawkeye losing.

Last edited:
You’re trying a bit too hard if you think that is showboating. That was a pretty dam good comeback by Gilman and I’d guess just about anyone would be pretty pumped - not sure I’d classify that as showboating. By chance do you know what Gilman said? I’ve seen plenty of average wins (like gables) celebrated by Rutgers wrestlers that in my opinion could be defined as showboating (just about any Richie Lewis win dating back to IC days).

With that said Gilman at times has done things that make me cringe. I do like him just like most teams like their guys. Doesn’t mean you can’t comment on another teams clown - Gable is a stud but he acted like a clown in my opinion. I don’t think he will lose much if at all but I have a feeling if he does lose in Pittsburgh it will sound like a Hawkeye losing.

I have no idea what he said. I think he told us in his post match Flo interview which I watched but def don’t remember.

I really don’t care what a kid does after a match or during it as long as it’s in the confines of the rules.

Of course there are limits. But neither gable the other day nor Gilman bothered me anymore than the “I can’t hear you” nickal did when he spladled brooks. I just don’t know what the line is for the people who do care.

I get why it rubs some people the wrong way, but overall it is harmless.

For example watch the video below. This is something that truly has no place in wrestling.

I don't think a single person has defended Desanto's actions in that match.

Steveson doing the Ali Shuffle in a wrestling match is gonna make me cringe every single time.

I don’t think anyone is too upset about any singular thing Gable did in that match, but the totality of his antics. Taken as a whole, the dance, head smacking, chest pounding, and overall self promotion demonstrates he is an arrogant showboat who doesn’t respect his opponent or care about his teams performance. This wasn’t a guy who got excited at the end of a big win and on impulse simply excessively celebrated. His behavior and attitude were on display throughout the entirety of the match. He got up early and then spent the rest of the match playing defense and looking to humiliate the other guy standing in that circle. And it is important, because it illustrates the larger issue in society of how we interact with one another. How we treat each other. The respect we have for one another and the value we place on people. He’s a great wrestler no doubt, but I can’t personally respect someone lacking in character and basic common decency. And I certainly don’t want someone behaving in that manner acting as an ambassador of this sport. It’s a small sample for sure and I hope he carries himself better in the future, but I have my doubts.

Ok kid?? Listen up you sniveling snot, I don't have time for a punk like you. Go ball to your mommy that people are being mean to your goofers on the HR. Plain & simple I've never seen a Hawk cock off like that on the mat and I don't think I ever will. Also think it would be safe to say that if a Hawk showboated on the mat like that, the reception they would get from the coaching staff would be less then pleasant.

And just so we can get a feel for your morals... Was it okay for Micic to taunt Austin by calling him a “retard” at several stoppages during that match? And if not, should Michigan fans turn their back on him and not support him as a stutent athlete? Honest question...

You’d be extremely hard pressed to find one post on this board that defended Austin’s actions in that match. So again... Cute try.

Ok kid?? Listen up you sniveling snot, I don't have time for a punk like you. Go ball to your mommy that people are being mean to your goofers on the HR. Plain & simple I've never seen a Hawk cock off like that on the mat and I don't think I ever will. Also think it would be safe to say that if a Hawk showboated on the mat like that, the reception they would get from the coaching staff would be less then pleasant.
But it does look like you have time ;)

And just so we can get a feel for your morals... Was it okay for Micic to taunt Austin by calling him a “retard” at several stoppages during that match? And if not, should Michigan fans turn their back on him and not support him as a stutent athlete? Honest question...

You’d be extremely hard pressed to find one post on this board that defended Austin’s actions in that match. So again... Cute try.
First I'm hearing of this. Is there a article or something out there on this. For me the "R" word is completely unacceptable. I'm probably a little more biased on this though as I have a relative with downs syndrome.

oh Cody, you are so duckies, bunnies and rainbows.1 out of his 3 recruiting classes have been good. The other 2 were absolutely horrible; Maybe even worst in program history. If Eggum and Co. pull in another recruiting class like this year what the excuse going to be. He wasn't the right hire and the guy they should have went after, Bono, will soon be leading the Badgers past him.

My main point was someone saying there is no place for Gable doing a lil jig in a match, as no one was harmed in the making of this video. I am suggesting that is an overreaction. Obviously opinions differ.

I am pointing to the Desanto Kimora as something that truly doesn’t have a place in the sport as it could cause potential injury. That is where I draw the line, dirty wrestling that can cause injury. As I would expect you all to agree with. I am not saying you should stop being a fan of the person. I am talking about the action. Being a fan causes you to be forgiving, that’s fine.

I am as big of advocate of the R word campaign as anybody. Again I would support Micic, not his actions.

Another example. Sanders stomping Robles back. No place for it.

I don’t defend the action.

I still supported Zach.

My main point was someone saying there is no place for Gable doing a lil jig in a match, as no one was harmed in the making of this video. I am suggesting that is an overreaction. Obviously opinions differ.

I am pointing to the Desanto Kimora as something that truly doesn’t have a place in the sport as it could cause potential injury. That is where I draw the line, dirty wrestling that can cause injury. As I would expect you all to agree with. I am not saying you should stop being a fan of the person. I am talking about the action. Being a fan causes you to be forgiving, that’s fine.

I am as big of advocate of the R word campaign as anybody. Again I would support Micic, not his actions.

Agree with everything... Just making a point to know some details before you spout of to us about our moral code when it comes to supporting student athletes at the university of Iowa.

And for the record... I grew quite tired of Gilmans antics sometimes and his little speech at that “fight night” thing disgusted me, and many others that are close to and support the program.

I can certainly understand the viewpoint that Gable did not win with class; however, the kid was fired up. I'd encourage people to reserve judgment and see how he conducts himself going forward.

If he continues with the theatrics, the wrestling world will have a "villain" to root against - adding drama to a sometimes less than exciting weight class.

Reactions: Unlimited424
I can certainly understand the viewpoint that Gable did not win with class; however, the kid was fired up. I'd encourage people to reserve judgment and see how he conducts himself going forward.

If he continues with the theatrics, the wrestling world will have a "villain" to root against - adding drama to a sometimes less than exciting weight class.

MANY just don't seem to get it!!! There is absolutely NO ROOM FOR THAT KIND OF BS in the sport of Wrestling!!!

Once more it is NOT GOOD in any way shape or form!!!

Add to this that there has never been a Wrestler at the TOP that acts this way. His opponent should have given him a nice hard shot to his head while he was doing his lil jig!!!

Most will not know of or Remember REAL PRO WRESTLING. It was an attempt to have a PRO Wrestling league a bunch of years ago. Even Dan Gable was endorsing it and they had many fine Wrestlers competing for various states.

No doubt that it faced many challenges. For me though, the Nail in the Coffin was the Finals. There was two Wrestlers who started Showboating and doing stupid crap!

As a Regional Representative I just shook my head and knew it was over!

Wrestling is about SPORTSMANSHIP! You can add all the words you want to that. HONOR,RESPECT, COURAGE, etc... If it ever is allowed to go in a bush league direction, that will be the end!!!

The Wrestling community is a relatively small tight knit group that is not like everyone else! That is a GOOD THING!!!

I have no idea what he said. I think he told us in his post match Flo interview which I watched but def don’t remember.

I really don’t care what a kid does after a match or during it as long as it’s in the confines of the rules.

Of course there are limits. But neither gable the other day nor Gilman bothered me anymore than the “I can’t hear you” nickal did when he spladled brooks. I just don’t know what the line is for the people who do care.

He literally said “good match”... Sincerely.

It’s all relative to the person watching many are going to be fine with it and others will hate it.

I hate it and think it is classless, but that is my opinion. I didn’t like many of the things Gilman did either, and really loved him, but was much more a fan of how Clark was. I believe there is something to acting like you have been there.

As a wrestler I would have to say if you don’t like it, stop it from happening, in this case it is a very tall task. A humbling experience might not be so bad for this kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT