ADVERTISEMENT

Grades vs Clown U

125 D Would love to see more aggression here it's not like he's going to blow a seeding if he gets pinned or something.
133 B Attasauov seems to have scouted ADS well. I thought the stalling calls here were asinine. Glad Austin didn't freak out more.
141 A- Got the MD
149 B+ Glad to see Max back on the mat. He looked fairly healthy.
157 B Totally outclassed here but Young had a good strategy to keep it to decision.
165 A- Got bonus points looked tough. Would love him to develop a little more turning game.
174 B Brands looks small at 174. Boring match why can't he get on his offense earlier?
184 D
197 D Warner looked like he had a lot of rust and maybe was not 100%. Really wish Warner was more aggressive but he seems to be who he is
285 A Cass looks tough.
Referees F- I hate to bag on the refs it's a hard thankless job but come on!

I agree Brands doesn't even look the biggest at 174 but Devine is a huge 174 who was at 197 at one time.

The ref was in over his head here.

Reactions: Redm18 and el dub
So, you really aren't going to answer my questions. I'm not defending the elbow. I'm asking what he should have done after being marched up to the table. Wait to be pushed into the table? Why did ADS keep pushing him, well past the mat?

Reductio ad absurdum: instead of a table, it's a cliff edge. Can he strike in that case? Where's the line between "can't strike someone" and "can strike someone"?
Oooooh Latin.

You must've forgotten you're an educated Cornell fan who's best friends with Coach Grey, you can't go around using fancy words with us uneducated Iowa folk.

So, you really aren't going to answer my questions. I'm not defending the elbow. I'm asking what he should have done after being marched up to the table. Wait to be pushed into the table? Why did ADS keep pushing him, well past the mat?

Reductio ad absurdum: instead of a table, it's a cliff edge. Can he strike in that case? Where's the line between "can't strike someone" and "can strike someone"?
you can speak latin, but not read english? i answered your question: "if you want to respond, give him a little shove as you both turn back to walk back to the mat. we see that type of exchange all the time. i assure you it was an option."

I think everyone was lead to believe Ybarra was a decent recruit coming in. There's a guy that posts here regularly that apparently saw him wrestle in high school that promoted him pretty highly. Chief?

Not sure why there's so little offense from the kid? It certainly seems like Ayala is the future starting next year at 125.
Ybarra was #16 P4P in his class. Fast, slick, great defense. We saw some of that last night, e.g. avoiding the takedown with a cartwheel and almost putting ISU to his back. Unfortunately, he needs a go-to offensive arsenal. Let me rephrase: he needs an offense. This is his second year in the room, and as of now he looks like another Terry Brands project who's going to top out at #20 by his senior year. Burning the redshirt this year to get some mat time was a good decision, as he really needs to adapt to this level of competition--open tourneys don't cut it.

Now, can we please do the same for Assad?

Well that table was pretty close and it didn't look that bad to warrant a swinging elbow back. But it's pretty hard to be on Desanto side anymore. He's painted himself into that corner. The Russian was stalling but it was the typical if he's not beating a guy like he should he starts in all his bs tantrums. It's beyond old
Desanto did nothing to warrent your negativity. the past is the past. last night he was being targeted to get him to react….which he did not do. you have to be completely biased and searching if you think walking someone “up against” the scoring table deserves an elbow in the head. homer call by the official to charge both wrestlers, without even reviewing it.

Ybarra was #16 P4P in his class. Fast, slick, great defense. We saw some of that last night, e.g. avoiding the takedown with a cartwheel and almost putting ISU to his back. Unfortunately, he needs a go-to offensive arsenal. Let me rephrase: he needs an offense. This is his second year in the room, and as of now he looks like another Terry Brands project who's going to top out at #20 by his senior year. Burning the redshirt this year to get some mat time was a good decision, as he really needs to adapt to this level of competition--open tourneys don't cut it.

Now, can we please do the same for Assad?
Ybarra has no leg attacks and no go to move. His highschool offense was a lot of out quicking guys and getting go behinds etc. You better be next level good or that won't work in college. I am very leery of recruits with no leg offense. They need to make him shoot nothing but leg shots in practice and hopefully get proficient at something, outside single, high C, anything.

you can speak latin, but not read english? i answered your question: "if you want to respond, give him a little shove as you both turn back to walk back to the mat. we see that type of exchange all the time. i assure you it was an option."
That's not the question I asked. What should he have done at the point he was walked up to the table? Was it obvious to him that ADS was going to stop pushing at that point? Not *after* they stop moving, but *before* they stop moving.

Instead of ridiculing the use of a common logical fallacy name, you could address the point it raised. I expect too much, it seems.

Look, there's a theme here.

The prescription is show off less, win more. Put more points on the board. Get to your offense. Put your guy on his back. Stop with the half-assed, half-shot, half-finishing, waiting-for-a-reshot, sloppy crap.

We finally won the title, and now we're like Apollo Creed driving around in his big gold Cadillac.

We've seen Assad, Warner, and Cass all take stupid losses this year because they weren't ready to go 15 rounds with Rocky Balboa. Fat and happy. Hawks circa 1987.

What do Princeton, Army, and ISU have in common? They're all irrelevant. Beating them means nothing. Don't put on a boring performance, then fist pump and taunt. Seriously--a post-match melee with frigging ISU?

This team needs to wipe the smirks off their faces and get back to wrestling with passion and intensity. They're not gonna repeat without that.

He seems most comfortable working underhooks and then trying to go around. I have rarely seen him go underneath to try to get a single or high crotch. He's not the first young wrestler who has been risk-adverse in this manner. Watch Gilman's matches his first year. But Gilman obviously grew out of it.
You may very well be right, but there's no sense of urgency listening to Ironsides call the matches. Given Ayala in the wings, it's difficult to know how the kid feels.

But he's on the mat now, so he'll have our support.

That's not the question I asked. What should he have done at the point he was walked up to the table? Was it obvious to him that ADS was going to stop pushing at that point? Not *after* they stop moving, but *before* they stop moving.

Instead of ridiculing the use of a common logical fallacy name, you could address the point it raised. I expect too much, it seems.
he should have done nothing as nothing was done to him. he wasn’t shoved, tackled, he had nothing physically done to him. it’s a wrestling match.

In the wrestling world, at least nationally, ISU gets talked about once a year. Last nite was their chance to be noticed.

Instead, Dresser crapped the bed again. A top 15 finish at Nattys looks like the ceiling. Five years in and this is what ISU rolls out in the new regime?

he should have done nothing as nothing was done to him. he wasn’t shoved, tackled, he had nothing physically done to him. it’s a wrestling match.
I am also on the side that says Desanto does not get the benefit of the doubt in most cases, but I replayed the incident last night, and from what I could tell, he was walking off the mat, and went a little farther that was needed, but seemed to trip somewhat before the table and they kind of stumbled to the scorers table. Then the elbow was thrown to the head. There was no driving him to the scorers table or pushing him into the table. The elbow should have DQ'd the ISU guy.

Reactions: MVPFAN and BBptg5
125 - D. Lost. You can't win with virtually no offense.
133 - B. Won. Faced an obsessively stalling wrestler, yet won. Didn't like driving him to the table. Stupid.
141 - A-. Won. He was going for it. Surprised he was double legged.
149 - A. Won. Max was really trying, and pulled it off.
157 - C-. Lost. Only saw one shot, and he whiffed so bad he fell on his head.
165 - A. The bull went all out. It's appreciated.
174 - D. Won. Yes, "below average" grade for a Brands. No shot in regulation, and only countered in OT.
184 - C. Lost. He just doesn't have "it." But he tries.
197 - D. Lost. I think his body looks worse each year, lol.
285 - A. Aggressive, and stalled his guy out. Well done.

Reactions: TarpHawk
It was obvious that ISU was coaching to keep it close. The guy was backing up the entire time with AD and he was also hanging on to his fingers. Dresser was raving about his performance--"had AD on the ropes". What match was he watching? A better referee and we might have had two stalling disqualifications:) Also, as far as 197, let's see what happens later in the year. Dresser was celebrating style points last night... Which means he lost again and that was without Lee, Assad and two other starters coming out after layoffs. I expect to see Lee soon and would bet that Assad gets a go in Florida... The team is still coming together.
They did the same thing in 2019 when their guy was the underdog. Stall all match and keep it close and try to steal it in the end. If the refs let them do it without penalty it probably is their best chance of winning, but makes for boring, frustrating matches. Seems to me like their is another team from the B12 that does the same thing?!

They did the same thing in 2019 when their guy was the underdog. Stall all match and keep it close and try to steal it in the end. If the refs let them do it without penalty it probably is their best chance of winning, but makes for boring, frustrating matches. Seems to me like their is another team from the B12 that does the same thing?!
Totally agree. ISU's only hope in keeping the dual outcome was to try and get ADS DQ'd. That's a 9-10 point swing.

The only other chance they had was to recruit better wrestlers and develop them once they hit campus. Maybe the ISU staff regrets screwing Degen given the result at 149?

Reactions: Gobblin

Essentially you are saying Big Cass had the right to knock out the ISU HWT after the shoulder? Because that was way worse than anything Desanto did.

He walked him off the mat, which happens all the time. He didn't "drive" him into the table. Did the table move and they had to reset everything on the table??? LOL
Agreed, just don't think we need to be DQ'ing ppl for some intensity on both ends. I don't want this to turn into the NFL where if you breathe on someone you get a 15 yd penalty.

The prescription is show off less, win more. Put more points on the board. Get to your offense. Put your guy on his back. Stop with the half-assed, half-shot, half-finishing, waiting-for-a-reshot, sloppy crap.

We finally won the title, and now we're like Apollo Creed driving around in his big gold Cadillac.

We've seen Assad, Warner, and Cass all take stupid losses this year because they weren't ready to go 15 rounds with Rocky Balboa. Fat and happy. Hawks circa 1987.

What do Princeton, Army, and ISU have in common? They're all irrelevant. Beating them means nothing. Don't put on a boring performance, then fist pump and taunt. Seriously--a post-match melee with frigging ISU?

This team needs to wipe the smirks off their faces and get back to wrestling with passion and intensity. They're not gonna repeat without that.
I agree with everything you said except Cass. He was ready to go, he was the aggressor and he was also unlucky. He came out in that match like he was on fire, he just got caught, it happens.

A return shove is commonly accepted retaliation.

He walked him off the mat, which happens all the time. He didn't "drive" him into the table. Did the table move and they had to reset everything on the table??? LOL
If an IOWA wrestler would have been walked off the mat, across the floor and into Gadsen’s table you would have a different approach; you’d probably be complaining big time. Personally I don’t care that ADS did it but if you play hard like that you should expect a little back at you which is what the kid gave him. And it fazed ADS zero which tells you how serious it was. I’m with the other poster, man up, it was nothing.

Reactions: Trapper85
I am also on the side that says Desanto does not get the benefit of the doubt in most cases, but I replayed the incident last night, and from what I could tell, he was walking off the mat, and went a little farther that was needed, but seemed to trip somewhat before the table and they kind of stumbled to the scorers table. Then the elbow was thrown to the head. There was no driving him to the scorers table or pushing him into the table. The elbow should have DQ'd the ISU guy.
I haven’t gone back to watch the match again and probably won’t, but with respect to saying he tripped, there wasn’t much boundary on the mat and over in that area the edge was curled up a bit and not flush with the floor so this is believable.

Reactions: Gobblin
I understand in wrestling you try and exploit your opponents weaknesses
Desantos is autism though.... he was born with it and everyone knows he can lose control of his emotions and has
actively trying to trigger that is bullshit and it’s obvious that’s what ISU was doing and Okie State does
personally I think the Brands have done a remarkable job of getting him to keep his emotions in check and preventing the outbursts he used to have
the poster saying his tired of Desanto’s “antics” pisses me off
**** ISU

I’ve got ESPN + and have arched the 133 match no less than 4 times. Please stop implying that ADS did nothing wrong. He acted silly again…not good. Oh, and he wrestled well beneath his skill set. He let that guy get to him and shame on him for that fact. He’s better than that.

If an IOWA wrestler would have been walked off the mat, across the floor and into Gadsen’s table you would have a different approach; you’d probably be complaining big time. Personally I don’t care that ADS did it but if you play hard like that you should expect a little back at you which is what the kid gave him. And it fazed ADS zero which tells you how serious it was. I’m with the other poster, man up, it was nothing.
you are right about half of it…..Desanto did Nothing. supposedly an Iowa fan and think ”WALKING” someone off the mat is reason for penalty point and retaliation? not thinking there was anything “hard” going on except the elbow to the head.

Last edited:
After watching these last two meets, we're not really looking number 1ish.
Agree however two of the 3 biggest hammers have not stepped on the mat yet this year and a high all American has been dealing with a bit of an injury. I think the NCAA tourney team looks different than the team last night.

Reactions: dhm az and Gobblin
I’ve got ESPN + and have arched the 133 match no less than 4 times. Please stop implying that ADS did nothing wrong. He acted silly again…not good. Oh, and he wrestled well beneath his skill set. He let that guy get to him and shame on him for that fact. He’s better than that.
you really continue with Desanto being the one that initiated here? did he drive him into the table, shove him, force him….no none of those. since you do have espn+ and watched it so many times you must have already seen how close the table was to the edge of the mat. the past is the past realize and acknowledge it. Austin was bated the entire match and kept his emotions under control. you seem to look for something to be critical of.

I’ve got ESPN + and have arched the 133 match no less than 4 times. Please stop implying that ADS did nothing wrong. He acted silly again…not good.
I agree. It was dumb. And what I thought was worse was Terry actually meeting them as they went out of bounds and him getting in the face of the opponent and doing the double pistols going off. I was shocked we didn't lose a team point for that.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
ISU reminds me of Nebraska with shittier wrestlers.

Their is no bigger fraud in NCAA wrestling than Kevin Dresser.

At this point ISU is just embarrassing themselves. Too bad their AD is a sniveling dipshit who doesn’t know come ‘ere from sick ‘em.

Bingo.

I certainly wouldn’t describe Cass as fat and happy. He has been working his tail off and made one mistake where he got a little out of position going for a pin. I can live with that kind of thing.

Overall I get your point though and perhaps some early season lumps will serve as a wake up call to stay focused on the wrestling and leave the other stuff behind.

I thought the referee was awful. The two double stall calls were stupid.... He lost control of the match.
At the press conference afterwards Brands said they were by rule correct calls.

it was for the finger l.

Referee is to warn the first instance and penalize thereafter. Tom said the referee must not have been able to discern who was actually at fault for interlocking the fingers.

ISU, in that match, should have been stalled out. He did much worse than their heavyweight.

I like that he called a lot of stalling. I wish more referees would do the same!!!

ISU reminds me of Nebraska with shittier wrestlers.

Their is no bigger fraud in NCAA wrestling than Kevin Dresser.

At this point ISU is just embarrassing themselves. Too bad their AD is a sniveling dipshit who doesn’t know come ‘ere from sick ‘em.
Well the fraud and his staff took a walkon from Hawaii and beat the #1 recruit in the weight class.

And a guy who’s wrestled folk style for 15 months and beat a multi time all-American.

So there’s that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT