ADVERTISEMENT

How much time do you spend alone, in silence?

SoProudNole

HR Legend
Jan 19, 2004
When I work from home, I have no music, background noise or anything. It is totally quiet in the house all day. I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I try to also have quiet, solitary time for a little bit a couple evenings a week.

Every day on my drive home from work which is about 20 minutes or so. Idk i just like to gather my head before I walk in the door. GF at first use to call me all the time but now shes more relaxed and understands that's my me time.

Btw is it just her or does anyone's SO call you right away after work "just to talk" even though you are going to be face to face in the very near future.

Every day on my drive home from work which is about 20 minutes or so. Idk i just like to gather my head before I walk in the door. GF at first use to call me all the time but now shes more relaxed and understands that's my me time.

Btw is it just her or does anyone's SO call you right away after work "just to talk" even though you are going to be face to face in the very near future.
Me and my wife call each other about once a week and its never "just to talk."

Get a prenup

Reactions: ericram
I love being alone but hard pass on silence.

One of our trips to Mexico, we went snorkeling in a cenote. When we were in the largest part of one of the caves, they turned off the lights for a couple of minutes and it was completely dark and silent. That was really cool but only for a couple of minutes. I need something in the background in order to be able to concentrate.

Me and my wife call each other about once a week and it’s never "just to talk."
If either of us calls the other, my wife and I assume the other is hurt/in an emergency

I work from home everyday. Kids are in school, other half usually working.

Lots of days total silence, aside from work meetings.

Some days I stream music, or watch tv while I work

Reactions: SoProudNole
I used to say riding on my mower was my quiet time since all I could hear was the engine and my thoughts.
For me mowing as well for things going in my persona l life, and then sometimes when I have a lot going on for work I like to take a long shower in the dark, and then have a long hot soak in the dark, to organize my thoughts and focus on a tough issue. A lot of times I am able to forge new connections and analytical frameworks when I do that. Csb.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Does the sound of a wood splitter, tractor, mower, chain saw running, etc, violate the silence clause here? Because I have a lot of personal "quiet" time while doing these types of tasks. And still a fair amount of total quiet while fishing, hunting, woodworking.
I think it does. To me "silence" is lack of communication and those things would be the equivalent of white noise.

I get home from work around 5:30 and am done with dinner by 6:30 and then wait to go to bed at 10:30. So about 4 hours a day.

When I work from home, I have no music, background noise or anything. It is totally quiet in the house all day. I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I try to also have quiet, solitary time for a little bit a couple evenings a week.
ooof. I either have Alexa streaming music or my turntable going. Occasionally, I will drive with no music just to take in the silence, but it's probably not often enough.

Almost zero, about 3 minutes in the shower every morning I guess then shaving afterwards. When the wife goes shopping I'll read but that's the closest I get. Don't really understand the sitting in silence with out doing anything. My brain doesn't work that way.

Oh I'm talking about 99% of the time she calls me on my way home it's about her day at work. Which literally can wait till i get home.

My wife hates driving in silence so she will call me and talk to me all the way up until the point that she walks through the door.

To answer the OP, I work in silence when I'm in between meetings. It drives me a little crazy when there is background music while I'm trying to work.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Oh I'm talking about 99% of the time she calls me on my way home it's about her day at work. Which literally can wait till i get home.
Agree with you. Rather talk face to face.

That being said, I wish there was a communication tax on women. In the old days, talking on the phone (non-local calls) was expensive so you said what was important and got off the phone.

If we taxed the shit out of calls, texts, and extend it to social media posts we would a) have a better society that chooses its words carefully, and b) have happier male spouses who won’t bang their heads on the drivers wheel every day.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
My wife hates driving in silence so she will call me and talk to me all the way up until the point that she walks through the door.

To answer the OP, I work in silence when I'm in between meetings. It drives me a little crazy when there is background music while I'm trying to work.
That is her 100%, every other day I'm home before her and she'll call to talk the whole way. Not as bad as up to the door but maybe a couple minutes out

ooof. I either have Alexa streaming music or my turntable going. Occasionally, I will drive with no music just to take in the silence, but it's probably not often enough.

Yeah, I can drive long stretches in total silence. Even at night. My wife and kids find that weird.

That is her 100%, every other day I'm home before her and she'll call to talk the whole way. Not as bad as up to the door but maybe a couple minutes out
This is foreign to me. My wife will text when she leaves work "be home at __ time". If she's stopping somewhere before, she may call and let me know, but that is a very brief conversation and more for "do you need anything from there"? She will also text and ask when I'll be home, but rarely calls unless it's important.

On the other hand, she will call her sister in the car when we are going to see her family for the weekend and it's a 30-40 min convo. Makes me wanna drive off the ****ing road. You will be there in less than an hour to talk all the new skin care products or whatever is trending on Tik Tok. ****s sake, get it together.

Yeah, I can drive long stretches in total silence. Even at night. My wife and kids find that weird.
You are an animal. Night or early AM i need music or podcasts. I'm terrified of falling asleep while driving. I don't fall asleep fast but I am a super hard sleeper

I spend most of each working day toiling away in silence so when I'm out of the office I nearly always have something playing in the background like music or a podcast.

I'd tell her to find a daily podcast for the drive.

Usually about half the day. But I prefer background noise and usually turn on music or the tv after lunch.

An hour in the office most workdays - I get in before everyone else.
Then an hour or two kayaking at least every other weekend, on a stretch of the Withlacoochee River that is very lightly developed. Paddle upstream until tired, drift back while sipping a beer and/or firing one up.

Except for all the voices in your head. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT