ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

How is it hypocritical? Ask what percentage of Iowan's have been damaged by tornados vs. how many Floridians that have been damaged by hurricanes.
It’s probably closer than you think. Not gonna continue to argue, but in my opinion your question was nonsensical.

That doc’s house down in Mexico Beach.

181015141344-02-mexico-beach-sand-palace-restricted.jpg

I can see how they’d help a shingle roof. More weight and anchor points holding it down.
I remember seeing that picture after Michael hit Mexico Beach. I used to tell people that I could build them a hurricane proof house if their pockets were deep enough. That is exactly what happened there. I've built bridges with fewer support piles under it than this house has.

Think this is where it is making landfall. Dramatically has got worse. Was just breezy two hours ago.

Hurricane Beryl roared across the Windward Islands on Monday as an extremely dangerous Category 4, delivering catastrophic winds, intense rainfall and life-threatening storm surge.

Beryl made landfall shortly after 11:00 a.m. EDT on Grenada’s Carriacou Island in the Caribbean Sea with max winds of 150 mph. It is the strongest known hurricane to pass through the Grenadines, according to data from NOAA that goes back to 1851.

There were “widespread reports of destruction and devastation in Carriacou and Petite Martinique,” Grenada Prime Minister Dickon Mitchell said in a Monday news briefing. “In half an hour, Carriacou was flattened.”

Mitchell said there were no immediate reports of death or injury but warned that could change.

“You have to appreciate the ferocity and the strength of the hurricane and therefore we are not yet out of the woods,” he said. “And we are not able to say for sure that no one has been injured or there has been no loss of life as a result of the hurricane.”

The storm knocked out power across the island chain. About 95% of the island of Grenada has lost power due to Hurricane Beryl, Neila K. Ettienne, press secretary for the office of the prime minister, told CNN on Monday. Telecommunications across Grenada are down, and some individuals have lost internet service, Ettienne explained.

All schools and business are closed, including the airport, the secretary said, adding only hospitals and the national police force are currently operational. The airport reported a sustained wind speed of 92 mph and a gust of 121 mph Monday afternoon, according to the National Hurricane Center.

As of Monday evening, the southern Windward Islands are still seeing “tropical storm conditions, dangerous waves, and heavy rainfall,” according to the center.

• Sad
Reactions: DFSNOLE
She's all beat up at this point. A shadow of her former self.
It's still going to drop a lot of rain. It's tracking over central Indiana where we'll be on Friday. Obviously it will be a just a rain event, but it's going to be interesting to track the rest of this storm.

Beryl made landfall in Texas as a Category 1.

T6m9yBt.png
I was there. Not as bad after living through Hurricane Ike (2008) or Hurricane Harvey (2017), but was not fun not having power for close to 3 days when it was mid-90s outside. I got lucky too because most of the streets around me are still powerless. I will probably be investing in a Generac generator in the near future because the state has done nothing to improve the grid.

Last edited:
I was there. Not as bad after living through Hurricane Ike (2008) or Hurricane Harvey (2017), but not having power for close to 3 days when it was mid-90s outside was not fun. I got lucky too because most of the streets around me are still powerless. I will probably be investing in a Generac generator in my future because the state has done nothing to improve the grid.

Our current place had one already when we purchased. It is a nice piece of mind, but I've never been out of power for more than a half day. If I lived in an area with more storms, poor infrastructure, etc I'd probably get one. Heck, a lot of Houston was still out of power this AM.

It's still going to drop a lot of rain. It's tracking over central Indiana where we'll be on Friday. Obviously it will be a just a rain event, but it's going to be interesting to track the rest of this storm.
Standing water everywhere on the drive in. Beryl packed a punch 1000 miles after making landfall in the US.

Any of you bought your disaster preparedness kit from Costco?
25,000 calories in freeze dried form, and it lasts for up to 25 years.
https://www.kcrg.com/2024/07/19/cos...ts-with-food-that-can-last-25-years/?tbref=hp

Ive tried another company's version of freeze dried food when doing food prep for a week in the woods. $80 isn't a bad deal for a month of food. Still need clean water which seems to always be the weakest point in the consumption chain. Sam's version is $106 but comes with a water bottle with filter (but I question its effectiveness as the sole filteration tool).

That said, while its crazy to think MANY people don't have the bank account to cover a $80 emergency box, how much panic and scramble could be prevented if everyone had something in their house ?

Reactions: lucas80
Ive tried another company's version of freeze dried food when doing food prep for a week in the woods. $80 isn't a bad deal for a month of food. Still need clean water which seems to always be the weakest point in the consumption chain. Sam's version is $106 but comes with a water bottle with filter (but I question its effectiveness as the sole filteration tool).

That said, while its crazy to think MANY people don't have the bank account to cover a $80 emergency box, how much panic and scramble could be prevented if everyone had something in their house ?
Sounds like the start of an epic diet and money saving tale where some dude buys 40 of these and loses 100 pounds and only spends 3400 on food for a year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT