ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

NBC Orlando chief meteorologist…..update about 25 minutes ago. Mostly the same….waiting for the storm to leave Cuba

NHC tags Potential Tropical Cyclone Four, issues advisories as track shifts toward Central Florida

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
NBC Orlando chief meteorologist…..update about 25 minutes ago. Mostly the same….waiting for the storm to leave Cuba

NHC tags Potential Tropical Cyclone Four, issues advisories as track shifts toward Central Florida

What if we just declare it an "enemy combatant" and lock it up in Guantanamo...???

I'm sure someone's got a Sharpie who can draw a small cage w/ bars on it on the map...

mrIADuD.png

We had a severe thunderstorm today here in Jacksonville with A LOT of cloud to ground lightening, strong winds, heavy rain... it's called summer and we are used to it

Reactions: goldmom
Denis Phillips 9 am thoughts

Friday Tropical Thoughts. I think we finally have a pretty good handle on what's going to happen with our "Stalking Turtle" aka Debby.

1. I suspect the NHC puts us in a Tropical Storm Warning later today or tonight. They will likely issue a Potential Tropical Cyclone advisory. This allows them to put up warnings and offer a track.

2. Speaking of track, it looks like what likely will be Debby will make landfall somewhere between Pinellas and Levy County on Sunday.

3. The storm should either be a Tropical Depression or a Tropical Storm at that time. That is really the only question mark left on the table. The longer it stays over water, the stronger it could become. So, the sooner the landfall the better.

4. Impacts? Winds between 40 and 50 mph seem likely...with higher gusts. That sounds about like one of our afternoon thunderstorms, right? We will also be in the Northeast part of the storm so a "Tornado Watch" on Sunday is also possible.

5. Surge. This will be a decent-sized system that is getting stronger at landfall. There is a chance of some coastal flooding and water rise on Sunday. The water will already be higher (new moon) on Sunday so areas that are prone to flooding with storms should keep a close eye on this and plan accordingly.

6. Lots of people are asking if this could become a hurricane. Look, anything is possible, but I'm not playing the "what if" game. That spreads misinformation and its hard enough to get the forecast right with these ragged developing storms. At this point, I'm predicting a Tropical Storm with winds of 40 to 50 mph on Sunday. If it changes, you know we'll be updating 24/7 and let you know.

7. It doesn't look like it will stall so the scenario of this thing sitting in Florida for several days no longer looks like it's going to happen. Rainfall of 4-6" seems likely.

8. Let's recap. Timing is late Saturday through early Monday...from our Southern counties to our Northern counties. This IS going to cut across the state so inland areas will also get wind. A Tropical Storm Warning seems likely later today as we see a PTC issued from the NHC.

9. Nothing to freak out about. We get 40 to 50 mph winds many times in the Summer. There could be some isolated power outages. Wind-wise, it's an afternoon thunderstorm that will last for several hours. But as always, for folks who flood along the coast, high tide could bring a bit of water as well. Water is always the trickiest part of the forecast because it depends on the angle the storm approaches our area of who sees the push and who doesn't.

10. I don't know if your flight is canceled and yes, it's going to rain at Disney. (That should cover 95% of the questions I get) We got this folks. This is probably good practice for what's on the way later this season. Rule #7. (Don't freak out unless I'm freaking out, we're fine) We live in Florida, this goes with the territory.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Horray! Arrived in Florida just in time!

Sidenote, good god it is muggy and humid in Tallahassee. You know it's bad, but until you return, you forget how bad it is here.
I’m sitting here on my porch, sipping a whisky and dripping in sweat. Muggy as F in the fastest growing metropolis in Florida…Freeport.

I think I’m gonna move back to Germany 😁. Seriously, Florida summers are ridiculous.

Denis Phillips Friday night webcast live….this started at 7:30.

Tropical Storm Watches and Warnings! What you need to know

I’m sitting here on my porch, sipping a whisky and dripping in sweat. Muggy as F in the fastest growing metropolis in Florida…Freeport.

I think I’m gonna move back to Germany 😁. Seriously, Florida summers are ridiculous.

We will be <20 miles away from you tomorrow. Hoping the storm holds off so we can pick up the no pics at PCB and then go to the Beach for a bit. Colorado to IL and forgot how much I hate humidity. Then visit Florida, IL doesn't have any humidity.

We will be <20 miles away from you tomorrow. Hoping the storm holds off so we can pick up the no pics at PCB and then go to the Beach for a bit. Colorado to IL and forgot how much I hate humidity. Then visit Florida, IL doesn't have any humidity.

Colorado has lots fewer flying bugs, too...😎

The good news is that's a heavily wooded and lightly populated area. The bad news is for those pockets of people, it can be difficult to restore lost services to them.

Flooding is a big problem, from Pasco County north, west of US-19, when storms go into the Big Bend.

Captain Hype-O-Rama aka MWP will no doubt be out driving around, up that way, tomorrow. I’m guessing Jim Cantore will be out on Cedar Key like he was last year.

Last edited:
Flooding is a big problem, from Pasco County north, west of US-19, when storms go into the Big Bend.

Captain Hype-O-Rama aka MWP will no doubt be out driving around, up that way, tomorrow. I’m guessing Jim Cantore will be out on Cedar Key like he was last year.
We had a team from our Emergency Operations Center deploy there for ten days after the storm last year. Debris removal from downed trees was the biggest issue. That had to be done before restoration teams could get to areas.

If it hits that Big Bend area it’s the least populated are of the State. Other than Chiefland and Cross City it’s still pretty rural.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

Tropical Storm Watch issued August 3 at 11:20AM EDT by NWS Tallahassee FL​

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED
- Tallahassee
- Woodville
- Bradfordville

* WIND
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Below tropical storm force wind
- Peak Wind Forecast: 10-20 mph with gusts to 25 mph
* FLOODING RAIN
- LATEST LOCAL FORECAST:
- Peak Rainfall Amounts: Additional 2-4 inches, with locally