ADVERTISEMENT

*****Illinois vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Yeah, Illini much better and have more athletes. They are beatable though, unlike Purdue which would smoke Iowa again.
yup, let's face it they have had more athletic players for awhile now....Fran can spot talent, but overall he just is not bringing in the horses that IL does....Having said that, the tables definitely turn when it comes to Football though...;)

• Haha
Reactions: all4theillini
I've seen it go the other way- the B1G lets the Aaron Craft's of the world get away with beating the snot out of people and then the B1G (usually) flops in the NCAA's because it's more of a finesse / guard's game.
Not at all. College basketball is a guards game but its a game of athleticism and physicality at the guard spot and the big ten is usually not physical or athletic enough to compete in the tournament.

That's why msu and Wisconsin usually are the best bets to advance because they are the only ones that come prepared to out physical the opponent.

The rest of college ball has become more physical than the big ten.

Buckle up Hawk fans, NIT home game coming up in 2 weeks....
bill-nye-party-horn.gif

By all means Payton, gtfo and go to the G League shooting those quick trigger, no legged off balance 3s that kill momentum.

At least you'll be getting paid!!!!!!! :D

My take is Payton cares...he leaves it it all out there on the floor. He's trying to be the man in a game in which Dix's shot was off and Perkins was as bad as he can be.

The lineup that got us back in the game in 1st half had Pryce sandfort, Dix, Freeman, and Harding. That was 4-effort guys. I think Fran had some PMAC in there also at times....quite the contrast the guy that mostly watches on defense/rebounding along with 4 guys playing hard defense. Watching Krikke play defense was embarrassing...no coach would play that guy the minutes Fran did this season. If he's not nailing shots, he's a net sieve.

Just really a poor game.

Pat, Krikke, Perk combined for 2 made baskets. 4-6 from the line. 9 points.

I'm not sure what else the freshman need to do to get more minutes. Just so disappointing with so much on the line.
There's nothing they can do.

Patrick and Krikke are still going to play more minutes than Harding and Dembele in the remaining games this year.

It's not about performance.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
And one without a basketball playing son

I would take a Dougy McBuckets...but even that guy is total flop in NBA because he lacks athleticism.

The Smart coaches don't play guys that can't defend at even average level. Guys like PMAC and Krikke wouldn't be playing the minutes they did for FRan at other schools. CMAC never would have been a 3 year starter at a good school....4.5 ppg just doesn't cut it when you are a below the rim defender and only got effort going for you.

I personally loved seeing Connor get minutes over the Murrays and seeing it continue for Pat, Didn't You? I mean who needs to play the better talent and teach defense when You can throw Your own Progeny out there to totally shine .
How did a team with basically a back to back national player of the year playing with a lottery pick, a first round draft pick, and an early second round draft pick only win one game in the ncaa tourney?!?
Answer from Fran:
“Hey Jordan and Connor. You guys are going to be our starting guard court.”

My take is Payton cares...he leaves it it all out there on the floor. He's trying to be the man in a game in which Dix's shot was off and Perkins was as bad as he can be.

The lineup that got us back in the game in 1st half had Pryce sandfort, Dix, Freeman, and Harding. That was 4-effort guys. I think Fran had some PMAC in there also at times....quite the contrast the guy that mostly watches on defense/rebounding along with 4 guys playing hard defense. Watching Krikke play defense was embarrassing...no coach would play that guy the minutes Fran did this season. If he's not nailing shots, he's a net sieve.
He obviously cares but some of his shot selection would be a stretch for Steph Curry.

That stems from the coach not providing any accountability. Just giving him the "green light".

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
has anyone discussed the possibility that the week off was at a terrible time for us? Seemed we had some momentum after the win in Evanston and tonight just flat all night. That week off was not good.
Disappointing to say the least but this year all too predictable.
Not athletic enough at G and just no ability to guard when they need critical stops.
They honestly don’t deserve a bid to the dance and would likely embarrass themselves again.

IDK I think two could get us in as that 2nd win would be against Illinois. Not holding my breath though. Depends on what happens elsewhere. It's a sh!t bubble this year.
Let's just get a new coach instead of constantly praying we get in as bubbleheads and then lose in the first round.
Even if the new coach doesn't get us in for 3 years, I don't even care at this point.
Tired of watching Frans bs year after year.
We need hope.

Let's just get a new coach instead of constantly praying we get in as bubbleheads and then lose in the first round.
Even if the new coach doesn't get us in for 3 years, I don't even care at this point.
Tired of watching Frans bs year after year.
We need hope.
Don’t forget Lickliter, we could end up back in that disastrous state! 🙄

Honestl
How did a team with basically a back to back national player of the year playing with a lottery pick, a first round draft pick, and an early second round draft pick only win one game in the ncaa tourney?!?
Answer from Fran:
“Hey Jordan and Connor. You guys are going to be our starting guard court.”
I honestly don't think Fran has done that bad of a job this season. The problem is that we didn't cash in when we had the Murrays Luka etc. They have been solid in the big 10 but we haven't gotten that tourney pay off. Having one of those teams break the sweet 16 curse would have alleviated some fan frustration.

That's the problem when your game is based around off balanced mid range shots.

It's honestly amazing he's done as well as he has that way.
But most of his shots were 2-3 footers. He didn’t play smart and he tried to just shove a square in a round hike when it wasn’t there. Worst of all, his defense and rebounding were lackluster. If you can’t score, DEFEND!

What are odds we win 1st game?

It would be an interesting stat to see how man times Fran has been 1 and done in BTT. My guess is it is the majortiy of the time under Fran.
The February fade isn't real but falling off a cliff some point in March is.

has anyone discussed the possibility that the week off was at a terrible time for us? Seemed we had some momentum after the win in Evanston and tonight just flat all night. That week off was not good.
Not athletic enough at G and just no ability to guard when they need critical stops.
They honestly don’t deserve a bid to the dance and would likely embarrass themselves again.
We beat a northwestern team missing three starters. It’s a win but I wouldn’t call it anything special.

I thought about it but i did not discuss it

Honestl

I honestly don't think Fran has done that bad of a job this season. The problem is that we didn't cash in when we had the Murrays Luka etc. They have been solid in the big 10 but we haven't gotten that tourney pay off. Having one of those teams break the sweet 16 curse would have alleviated some fan frustration.
I agree. It’s not fair to lump the failures of the past on this years team or last years team. It’s really the 2021 and 2022 teams that really should have done damage in the tourney.

Reactions: RocknRollface
It kills me that we're going to miss out on this guy so we can do a couple more years of old man Fran.
Me too, I'm hoping against hope that Fran moves on. Him hiring a new agent is a signal that he might be doing so IMO. The public comments about not wanting to retire may mean he's positioning himself for a bigger buyout and a new coaching gig. I know, it's not likely but I'm an optimist at heart.

DeVries has taken a bad to mediocre Drake program recently to 6 straight 20+ wins, 4 MVC Tournament Championship appearances, and 3 NCAA tournament appearances. He recruits well, excellent player develoment, great in-game coach, an IA guy, great assistant coaching experience, 4 year starter at UNI, and is supposedly a great fund raiser. He checks all the boxes.

Honestl

Look at our roster. It’s not great. Fran owns that but we were a couple of late game collapses against shit teams from a tourney bid.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Beating Minny won't be easy, I am afraid....
If only it was against Minnesota, but sadly Iowa will be playing Ohio St on Thursday, the hottest team in the Big right now. Iowa playing the starting lineup of Krikke, Owen, Payton, Josh, and 'Tony with Patrick the 1st of the bench has no chance of winning on Thursday. None, there I said it....

If only it was against Minnesota, but sadly Iowa will be playing Ohio St on Thursday, the hottest team in the Big right now. Iowa playing the starting lineup of Krikke, Owen, Payton, Josh, and 'Tony with Patrick the 1st of the bench has no chance of winning on Thursday. None, there I said it....
I agree

They showed a stat during the Mvc championship game. Drake is in the top five for wins in division 1 over the past 4seasons with 105.
Take devries right now Beth. He’s not Steve Alford. He’s an Iowa kid.

you know Fran fans will point out Fran usually finishes above 0.500 in B1G play. Doesn't win championships, usually 1 and done in BTT, and doesn't do anything of note in NCAA tourney, but if you groove on winning 51% of your B1G games, he's the man.

It is just stunning how bad Tony was tonight. That was likely his worst game as a Hawkeye.
Yep. I felt terrible for him. He had a break away dunk and tanked it. Nothing was going in for him.
I can’t complain too badly. I was entertained sitting there. Illinois is a good team, and we got down by 21 to them, but somehow clawed back into the game. The rebounding and defensive problems tonight were magnified by overall poor shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT