ADVERTISEMENT

*****Illinois vs Iowa Game Thread*****

has anyone discussed the possibility that the week off was at a terrible time for us? Seemed we had some momentum after the win in Evanston and tonight just flat all night. That week off was not good.
Disappointing to say the least but this year all too predictable.
Not athletic enough at G and just no ability to guard when they need critical stops.
They honestly don’t deserve a bid to the dance and would likely embarrass themselves again.
Somebody a few days ago said Iowa would be fresh having a whole week off to prepare. I said a week off was bad and that ir was going to disrupt the rhythm of a team playing well. I was right. The offense looked the worst it has all season.

Perkin's is not a point guard and trying to play him at that position most of the season, I feel hampered his offensive. If he comes back next year and we won't know that decision for at least 3 or 4 weeks he needs to play his natural position of shooting guard. In a way maybe Perkins needs to go, so Dix can play the shooting guard full time with Brock running the show. Right now I'm so torn between what Perkins should do, either way I do know that Patrick should take the hint and go in another direction, I'm sure Fran can find him a position on some professional basketball coaching stall somewhere in the NBA. Make it happen Fran!

Perkin's is not a point guard and trying to play him at that position most of the season, I feel hampered his offensive. If he comes back next year and we won't know that decision for at least 3 or 4 weeks he needs to play his natural position of shooting guard. In a way maybe Perkins needs to go, so Dix can play the shooting guard full time with Brock running the show. Right now I'm so torn between what Perkins should do, either way I do know that Patrick should take the hint and go in another direction, I'm sure Fran can find him a position on some professional basketball coaching stall somewhere in the NBA. Make it happen Fran!
1. Brock 2. Tony 3. Dix 4. Payton. 5. Freeman

Dembele playing a lot as the sixth man. A real air craft carrier center in the portal would be nice.

How about Perkins stays Fran goes?

Because having too many guards is only a problem when you have Fran McCaffery as a coach to turn it into a problem.

Having the 7 foot Mulvey on scholarship is not going to allow Fran to pick a 5th year experienced center off the portal. Ain't that a shame?
do you mean a 5th year experianced guard? because they need those in droves. They have plenty of front court players to work with.

you know Fran fans will point out Fran usually finishes above 0.500 in B1G play. Doesn't win championships, usually 1 and done in BTT, and doesn't do anything of note in NCAA tourney, but if you groove on winning 51% of your B1G games, he's the man.
He’s nice, the “people in the industry” love him. He saved us from likliter. Blah blah. I’m will to risk that devries is not likliter.

I’m not. Fran has shown an inability to use a bench properly. He will ruin Brock’s progress have Perkins as an option.
Moneyball. Perkins can be recreated in the aggregate. Him staying only hampers pg progress in the future and the probability we’ll have a team that can actually do something in the ncaa tournament.
Perkins will only give us another 9-9 season and bubble talk. I would rather take the chance our record will be 9-9 without him and be better off for not having him the following year.

I’m not. Fran has shown an inability to use a bench properly. He will ruin Brock’s progress have Perkins as an option.
Moneyball. Perkins can be recreated in the aggregate. Him staying only hampers pg progress in the future and the probability we’ll have a team that can actually do something in the ncaa tournament.
Perkins will only give us another 9-9 season and bubble talk. I would rather take the chance our record will be 9-9 without him and be better off for not having him the following year.
You really think Iowa will somehow be better with just 2 guards on the roster, 3 if you count Pryce?

Just 3 white guards? Really?

Two characteristics of teams that usually advance in the tournament are guard heavy and older.

Perkins isn't the problem, the problem is the coach has the wrong formula.

Not having Perkins wil not solve the problem of Fran having the wrong formula for winning.

Only having Brock and Dix won't work much better than only playing Perkins and Dix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fan In Black
all together, let's sing the "nit song"
NIT, here we come
NIT, here we come
NIT, here we come
damn we really suck

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
How about Perkins stays Fran goes?

Because having too many guards is only a problem when you have Fran McCaffery as a coach to turn it into a problem.
Perkins has improved a lot this year, I changed my opinion on him mid-season. But he's not being put in a position to win. It's coaching.

Somebody a few days ago said Iowa would be fresh having a whole week off to prepare. I said a week off was bad and that ir was going to disrupt the rhythm of a team playing well. I was right. The offense looked the worst it has all season.
Starting the game 0-7? was a killer.

Yup, and IL does not have a great defense as well…😐

My take is Payton cares...he leaves it it all out there on the floor. He's trying to be the man in a game in which Dix's shot was off and Perkins was as bad as he can be.

The lineup that got us back in the game in 1st half had Pryce sandfort, Dix, Freeman, and Harding. That was 4-effort guys. I think Fran had some PMAC in there also at times....quite the contrast the guy that mostly watches on defense/rebounding along with 4 guys playing hard defense. Watching Krikke play defense was embarrassing...no coach would play that guy the minutes Fran did this season. If he's not nailing shots, he's a net sieve.
Payton cares, but his defense is non-existent

You really think Iowa will somehow be better with just 2 guards on the roster, 3 if you count Pryce?

Just 3 white guards? Really?

Two characteristics of teams that usually advance in the tournament are guard heavy and older.

Perkins isn't the problem, the problem is the coach has the wrong formula.

Not having Perkins wil not solve the problem of Fran having the wrong formula for winning.

Only having Brock and Dix won't work much better than only playing Perkins and Dix.
I agree with everything you said. I just believe more than anything you wrote that having perkins on the team will prevent brock from playing. I have more faith that fran will do the wrong thing with playing time than the right. And for that reason, I'd rather take that option away from fran.

I agree with everything you said. I just believe more than anything you wrote that having perkins on the team will prevent brock from playing. I have more faith that fran will do the wrong thing with playing time than the right. And for that reason, I'd rather take that option away from fran.
IT IS TIME TO REPLACE FRAN AND STAFF!!!!

Payton cares, but his defense is non-existent

In man he's asked to guard guys he can't keep pace with, especially when a combo of Freeman, Krikke or Pat are (is or are?) on the floor.

I really wonder what his d looks like if he were constantly asked to guard the 4. He at least works hard on defense and will box out.

I agree that Fran will probably do the wrong thing especially if Patrick is back.

But if you accept the premis that a good team needs 3 good guards on the floor most of the time, not having Perkins back preemptively eliminates that possibility and locks the team into the wrong type of lineups.

If you at least have 3 good guards on the roster theres a chance Fran doesn't screw it up.

In man he's asked to guard guys he can't keep pace with, especially when a combo of Freeman, Krikke or Pat are (is or are?) on the floor.

I really wonder what his d looks like if he were constantly asked to guard the 4. He at least works hard on defense and will box out.
He didn't do terrible guarding Hawkins yesterday.

But no matter what he's going to end up switched onto a bad matchup a decent amount of the time.

You can get away with one guy like Payton on the court at a time. Especially since he's a good 3pt shot. And I agree the best place to play him is the 4.

The problem is when you have 1 or 2 other guys out there worse than him on defense. You can't build a team like that an expect to compete in a major conference.

Fran also benefitted from the BIG having two good teams, 10 average teams and two teams that totally suck. Hate to say it but Hawks would be about 6-14 in the Big 12 this season.

I couldn't say I liked this post, but it is true.

I think Perkins probably views his best chance of making NBA is as point guard. Fran gave him the job this year. I think Perkins did pretty well but had bad game vs Illini. Normally he's the only guy on the roster that matches up athletically and strengthwise with Illini. The Iowa team will need Perkins next year if Fran is to do anything of note. I do think they can do some true 3-Guard looks next year with Dix, perkins, Harding playing at same time but the obstacle is Fran philosophy and rebounding. Harding/Dix would have to rebound better than they have shown this year in a 3-guard look.

He didn't do terrible guarding Hawkins yesterday.

But no matter what he's going to end up switched onto a bad matchup a decent amount of the time.

You can get away with one guy like Payton on the court at a time. Especially since he's a good 3pt shot. And I agree the best place to play him is the 4.

The problem is when you have 1 or 2 other guys out there worse than him on defense. You can't build a team like that an expect to compete in a major conference.

Correct. With Krikke on the floor who can't defend at all (no offense to him), P Mac who doesn't seem to be a willing defender. It really hurts when Sandy is asked to pick up the rest. It's sadly why I don't think he makes it in the NBA.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT