ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Chattanooga Dual Thread

It's almost as if they practiced through this dual to be ready for ISU. One thing about Spencer and I'll leave you all to it...Spencer beat his guy 16-5...was one four point turn away from a tech. Bull won 9-5. Bull is known for his pace and ferocity yet nobody is really "concerned" about Bull in this thread. Such are the expectations for Lee I guess.

Our National Champ & returning AA's didn't really back off on training before this meet. Our young guys in the lineup where handled differently so they felt good for the first time out. Every time out is important, but the 24th is the first date circled with an asterisk next to it.

Gobblin, are you saying you expect more NCAA points from 184 than either of 149 and 197 (5.5 and 7.5 points last year, respectively), or that 149 and 197 are the weights that worry you most relative to consensus expectations.

Getting big points from 149 & 197 are already built into the model to win a team title. We need top four placing of points from guys that can and should. The difference between Cash getting say 7th to round of 12 isnt that big of a swing but Lugo going from 3rd to a 7th is a lot of points to give up. Double that if Warner does the same.

Our National Champ & returning AA's didn't really back off on training before this meet. Our young guys in the lineup where handled differently so they felt good for the first time out. Every time out is important, but the 24th is the first date circled with an asterisk next to it.
I suspected this. That’s what makes DeSanto all that more impressive. You can never tell that he trains through a meet.

It's almost as if they practiced through this dual to be ready for ISU. One thing about Spencer and I'll leave you all to it...Spencer beat his guy 16-5...was one four point turn away from a tech. Bull won 9-5. Bull is known for his pace and ferocity yet nobody is really "concerned" about Bull in this thread. Such are the expectations for Lee I guess.
I suspect Spencer trains through most meets and is a big reason why he looks like such a different wrestler at NCAA’s fully rested.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
The Marinelli thing doesn't work. His score was because he spent too much time on top, not because he gassed or struggled to score on his feet. He scored almost at will. Nor does he have a history of struggling by staying on top too long. Spencer was gassed after the first period. He has a history of gassing after the first period. People have a right to not feel great about that. It's not simply a matter or expectations or double standards. It's not about him missing a tech or pin. It's about him not being at 100% right now, be it tank related or injury. Marinelli didn't look to be at less than 100% His issues were choice related.

looked like spencer always does in november, so what
I get this point of view and probably share it, but posters "in the know" talked all summer about how Spencer was not going to look like that this year. I personally got a lot of grief, including being called a Penn State troll, for even suggesting the possibility that the tank issues wouldn't be completely resolved. If people had said all summer that Spencer is just a guy that wrestles his way into shape as the season progresses, I think there would be a lot less concern.

The Marinelli thing doesn't work. His score was because he spent too much time on top, not because he gassed or struggled to score on his feet. He scored almost at will. Nor does he have a history of struggling by staying on top too long. Spencer was gassed after the first period. He has a history of gassing after the first period. People have a right to not feel great about that. It's not simply a matter or expectations or double standards. It's not about him missing a tech or pin. It's about him not being at 100% right now, be it tank related or injury. Marinelli didn't look to be at less than 100% His issues were choice related.

Tend to agree with this. Marinelli was never in real danger. When Spencer got cradled, it was pins and needles for a bit... just hoping he wasn't going to get turned like when Picc from Okla St did it last year. Just hope there isn't some underlying problem with his knee or some other medical issue.

I suspected this. That’s what makes DeSanto all that more impressive. You can never tell that he trains through a meet.
I genuinely don’t know if, with his pace and practice mentality, he CAN train through a meet...

Some on here say it was the first match of the season, heh, don't put too much into the match. It's november and early in the season. The trouble is you look for improvement in the wrestlers over last year. They had all summer to bulk up on weights and gain weight from last season. These guys need to come out and dominate from the start and score tons and tons of bonus points! If they want to win the title then it's with bonus points. We could have five guys make the finals and still lose. We lost by 62 points last year, that's a lot to make up. Look at Penn States first match of the season, eight guys with bonus points, that's what we have to do to win. Dominate from start to finish. It's ok for people to question the Iowa meet, we expect total dominance each meet. I know it.s not going to happen but just hoping. March is way far away I just want Iowa to beat Penn State!

looked like spencer always does in november, so what
I have been thinking about this and what I have come up with is another question. If you sent Gilman out to wrestle that guy what would the result be? What shape is Gilman in currently? They are both going for the US team on the same timeline. Just curious thoughts means nothing obviously.

Reactions: Muscles1989
Some on here say it was the first match of the season, heh, don't put too much into the match. It's november and early in the season. The trouble is you look for improvement in the wrestlers over last year. They had all summer to bulk up on weights and gain weight from last season. These guys need to come out and dominate from the start and score tons and tons of bonus points! If they want to win the title then it's with bonus points. We could have five guys make the finals and still lose. We lost by 62 points last year, that's a lot to make up. Look at Penn States first match of the season, eight guys with bonus points, that's what we have to do to win. Dominate from start to finish. It's ok for people to question the Iowa meet, we expect total dominance each meet. I know it.s not going to happen but just hoping. March is way far away I just want Iowa to beat Penn State!

Agree with all of that. This “early in the season” stuff makes sense in a team sport, where they’re working on the playbook and schemes and all others kinds of complicated stuff that require teamwork. Wrestlers just have to step on the mat and do the same thing they’ve been doing since they were kids.

Some of you should look up the definition of familiarity. Then maybe you will understand why some wrestle off matches are tight.

Absolutely true at every level. That is why top coaches do not go by wrestle-offs alone. The Verkleern-Gardner match was an absolute snooze-fest, as they often are when they are that familiar with one another. Verkleern-Berge was boring as hell last year too.

That’s not how he looked at the start of his first season. He was fighting injuries but not gas tank issues back then.
You’re right. His freshman year gassing problems occurred in January and February of that season.

Reactions: el dub
I think he wanted the fall and felt his best opportunity was from the top position. I trust that he might have learned that if you dominate your opponent with repeated, overpowering TDs, that the opportunity for a fall can present itself and be more easily achievable.

That's the first thing I said to my buddy half way into Spencer's match. At least that's what I was hoping.

As far as comparing Lee to Bull, and the level of "concern", it's because fans were hoping to finally see a 100% healthy Spencer Lee destroy people.

First year it was the knee. Second year was "whatever it was". After winning titles with those struggles, what could a 100% Spencer Lee do?! I think we can all agree that we want Spencer to have a monster, undefeated season. A season without wonders and doubt. Watching his match the other day put all those wonders back into play. If anyone on here wasn't wondering anything, they are lying. It's super early, yes, but you were still left scratching your head a bit.

I think he wanted the fall and felt his best opportunity was from the top position. I trust that he might have learned that if you dominate your opponent with repeated, overpowering TDs, that the opportunity for a fall can present itself and be more easily achievable.
Yeah I definitely think that was it. He kept going for his Gable and just not quite getting it and I think he thought that he would eventually get it and it just never came. That's why I wasn't concerned. He worked hard the whole match to get bonus. It just backfired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT