ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City West vs. Muscatine

Joe desperately needs some quality teammates to allow his game to flourish. He looks frustrated tonight. Patrick took too long to be assertive offensively, but his size was an asset defensively and on the boards. His offense helped put this game away at the start of the 4th quarter.

Yeah, the production value of this TV coverage really lacks. Thought the same thing about Joe going off the court for the last time, but no camera shot of that. No replays at all either, and rarely got point totals of Joe or Patrick from the announcers.
Joe needs to work on his handles, but his ability to penetrate seemingly at will was remarkable. Great pivot feet and a real "nose" for the basket.
Patrick needs to gain weight badly to grow into his frame. His shot looks funky and he didn't look to score with the ball in his hands very often, but that is more a result of Bergy's offensive style.
It's not very often when 2 premier future Hawkeyes are playing against each other at the Iowa state tournament. Real treat to watch this game.

Yeah, the production value of this TV coverage really lacks. Thought the same thing about Joe going off the court for the last time, but no camera shot of that. No replays at all either, and rarely got point totals of Joe or Patrick from the announcers.
Joe needs to work on his handles, but his ability to penetrate seemingly at will was remarkable. Great pivot feet and a real "nose" for the basket.
Patrick needs to gain weight badly to grow into his frame. His shot looks funky and he didn't look to score with the ball in his hands very often, but that is more a result of Bergy's offensive style.
It's not very often when 2 premier future Hawkeyes are playing against each other at the Iowa state tournament. Real treat to watch this game.
He had a few turnovers but I was really impressed with his ability to change directions in traffic. He split several double teams. Also forced a few but to be expected in this game.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
He had a few turnovers but I was really impressed with his ability to change directions in traffic. He split several double teams. Also forced a few but to be expected in this game.

Yeah his handle looked fine. When youre trying to constantly drive the ball against two,three, and four defenders all game you're going to have some turnovers.

The fact that he could consistently take IC wests entire team to the basket was pretty impressive. He didn't even have anyone to set up for easy baskets.

Ive never seen a game of basketball where a team only defended one player outside of the paint.

Did anyone else happen to watch the earlier game today, with Oskaloosa playing? I was very impressed with Foster. Hope we can somehow get him.

I said in another thread I don’t think there is going to be a big man with his athletic ability and jump shot combination. His shot is just smooth.

Everything he isn’t good at (plays defense with arms down, doesn’t block out, isn’t physical etc) are all minor things he’ll fix with just maturing. If I didn’t know I would have never guessed he was a sophomore.

He is definitely going to have his pick of where he wants to go to school.

How do you play high school ball for 3 / 4 years and aren’t able to hit wide open jumpers? Or even mid range jumpers? I didn’t watch the game but from everything I’ve heard, Joe’s teammates could get just about any shot they want

Reactions: RocknRollface
How do you play high school ball for 3 / 4 years and aren’t able to hit wide open jumpers? Or even mid range jumpers? I didn’t watch the game but from everything I’ve heard, Joe’s teammates could get just about any shot they want

I heard they made several in substate final

Reactions: unoHawkeye
West's student section is worse than the CHA student section.

In their defense this is West’s fourth state tourney game in 9 days. Kids gotta go to go to some school and do a little homework. West will be better represented Thursday and hopefully Friday.

Your kidding right? The Hawks have several guys on their current roster who are two or three years into college, who can't shoot a jumper and are pretty bad at the free throw line as well. Just sayin......:eek:

Have not seen the dude, but lets be real, can this kid play? Like next year. A kid that good should be fouling out the other team and dominating the game. I will take another Uthoff all day long though. That guy had a good game.

Reactions: 0418hawkguy1001
Joe can play. He needs to get better from behind the arch.

Question is it true Patrick has trouble keeping weight on because of his cancer medicine? Serious question. He will need to gain a ton more weight in order to be ready to play in the big ten. To the point he might be a Ted shirt candidate.

Also I want to see Mathan Johnson guard Wiescamp. Johnson held ignoli to 2 points and the kid from Johnston to three. Should be a good match up to see what Wiescamp does against a great defender.

Also the kid from Johnston, grimes, is a very smooth guard.

Reactions: CelticHawk
Was at the game tonight. Long and short of it is this: weiskamp is legit. He'll be a special player at Iowa. Patrick McCaffrey needs to add at least 20lbs to his frame. Not exaggerating.
Yeah 20 lbs seems right. Man his shot doesn’t look the greatest, but it works for him.

The more i watch patrick the less i think hes a division 1 impact player. I think aaron white is a good comparison but i dont think he'll be anywhere near the rebounder white was, which is what made him an impact player with all his garbage buckets.
I disagree. Patrick has excellent quickness for someone his size. Once he grows into his frame and puts some muscle on, he will be a force. I'm not worried about what his shot looks like, he has shown he is a good shooter and should continue to get better.

Your kidding right? The Hawks have several guys on their current roster who are two or three years into college, who can't shoot a jumper and are pretty bad at the free throw line as well. Just sayin......:eek:

In fairness he said shoot, not make.

Those guys on Muscatine refused to even shoot, it was bizzar looking.

No one within ten feet.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Have not seen the dude, but lets be real, can this kid play? Like next year. A kid that good should be fouling out the other team and dominating the game. I will take another Uthoff all day long though. That guy had a good game.

Its always good policy to not have opinions on what you haven't seen.

Wieskamp is way ahead of Uthoff as a highschool senior.

IMO, all of Iowa’s non-post players would look like capable shooters (not even necessarily 3pt shooters) if they had somebody who drew triple teams playing on their team.

Pat is a legit 6'8"-6'9" HS JR who went thru cancer treatment. Hard to add muscle at that age with that length and those physical issues. Once he stops growing he can fill out a little. He will be a very good player at Iowa.

Joe is a Freak. Have watched him in some AAU feeds and HS games n have yet to see a better player on the floor. If he played in a major city he would be a top 20 national recruit.

For those saying Fredrick isnt athletic need to watch him play. Not a freak athlete but definitely more athletic than Ellingson or Ogelsby. Better shooter also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT