ADVERTISEMENT

*****Kansas St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Really good offensive games from Payton and Krikke. One of Krikke's best games overall. The guards looked off on offense, but Perkins and Dix did a good job of holding down KSU's guards. Except for a few moments, Iowa's centers did not have there best games. Harding was MIA, sitting on the bench. Patrick was Patrick.
The Hawks won, so I'm trying not to be hyper-critical of anything, but how does that happen?

Harding was almost the lone bright spot in the Illinois game - especially in the first half - and had another standout performance at times vs Ohio St. Doesn't do anything too terribly noticeably wrong in the first half against Kansas St, but is super-glued to the bench for the whole second half, except for maybe a spot minute towards the very end.

Didn't Fran say that one of the biggest reasons he/they didn't decline the NIT invite was because of needing to get the young guys more time & experience? And yet, his youngest floor leader plays like a total of just a few minutes, all in the first half, in the first NIT game.

I just... Frankly, I just don't understand Fran's logic or mindset during games. Especially with sub patterns and seeming to forget who he has available on the bench.

The Hawks won, so I'm trying not to be hyper-critical of anything, but how does that happen?

Harding was almost the lone bright spot in the Illinois game - especially in the first half - and had another standout performance at times vs Ohio St. Doesn't do anything too terribly noticeably wrong in the first half against Kansas St, but is super-glued to the bench for the whole second half, except for maybe a spot minute towards the very end.

Didn't Fran say that one of the biggest reasons he/they didn't decline the NIT invite was because of needing to get the young guys more time & experience? And yet, his youngest floor leader plays like a total of just a few minutes, all in the first half, in the first NIT game.

I just... Frankly, I just don't understand Fran's logic or mindset during games. Especially with sub patterns and seeming to forget who he has available on the bench.

I understand Fran's logic. He wants to optimize his children's minutes.

Completely agree. Its exasperating. No reason Brock and the rest of the freshman shouldn't each have gotten 20 minutes. Krikke, PMac and even Perkins should have had their minutes cut.

You are right and McCaffery's player rotations are usually not understandable. I believe he has zero use for true point guards.

Caitlin and Conner
If Caitlin and Connor get married and have a daughter, that little girl will be just like this...

b5c18774fd04f0d02cd015db69d29b88.gif

Agree with the above.

Krikke earned his PT last night, but sit Perk more and obviously tether Pmac to the bench. And isn't Perk, in a lot of ways, just a more athletic version of Pmac? So many twisting, off-balance, falling away heaves at the rim!

If someone has to get in foul trouble in order to get Brock in ... well 🤷‍♂️

Not sure why everyone feels the Big 12 is "the best league in the country" this year based on the non-con, but I guess we will see how it plays out. I wasn't overly impressed with Kansas State. But road games in that insane environment can be difficult :p
Tang took KSU to the Elite Eight last year and look like he had something going. They started the season 14-4 with losses to #21 USC, #12 Miami, Nebraska and by one at Texas Tech. Starting with the game at Iowa State where Tang accused TJ of spying on his huddle, they went on to finish 5-16. Something was going wrong as Tang picked up a number of technicals in subsequent games and made other unsavory comments about opponents as his success crumbled to dust.

I don't know what happened. They do have some good players. I had respect for Tang going into the season, but he ranks up there as one of the most hated coaches throughout the Big 12 with his excuses, blaming others and lack of sportsmanship. Snatching the mop from the gal at the Big 12 tournament was a glimpse into the kind of guy he is.

Reactions: DewHawk

IMO Tony did a good job defending KSU's scoring leader and PG Tyler Perry (and MVP of the NIT last year for North Texas). Held him to a poor shooting night. Perry is physical and a crafty veteran. I think in the little time Brock was on the court, Fran saw the potential for Perry going off and went with TP the rest of the way. Players can learn on the bench too, and based on what little I know of Brock I bet he learned while watching last night. Our 3 other first year players got valuable on court time. The win last night gives the whole team, including Brock, a chance to play one more.

Tang took KSU to the Elite Eight last year and look like he had something going. They started the season 14-4 with losses to #21 USC, #12 Miami, Nebraska and by one at Texas Tech. Starting with the game at Iowa State where Tang accused TJ of spying on his huddle, they went on to finish 5-16. Something was going wrong as Tang picked up a number of technicals in subsequent games and made other unsavory comments about opponents as his success crumbled to dust.

I don't know what happened. They do have some good players. I had respect for Tang going into the season, but he ranks up there as one of the most hated coaches throughout the Big 12 with his excuses, blaming others and lack of sportsmanship. Snatching the mop from the gal at the Big 12 tournament was a glimpse into the kind of guy he is.
When I watched Kstate this year he was always bad mouthing refs and getting technical. He seemed to be a jerk.

Reactions: Psyclone
Freeman was in foul trouble though,
Harding has played well. Fran could have gone to a small lineup. Sandfort had 12 rebounds, Krikke had 11, Freeman had 6 (1 stl and 2 blks) to go along with 10 points. PMac had 8 points and 3 rebounds in almost as many minutes as Freeman. Freeman was more active than PMac. PMac had 1 foul, which indicates the lack of activity and physicality for his size. Sure, Freeman had 4 fouls to PMac's 1. Freeman is active and plays with physicality. However, Fran could have divided PMac's minutes with Harding. At PMac's size, he's not going to pick up many fouls if he's out on the perimeter while the others are crashing the glass.

• Love
Reactions: NevadaHawk
Harding has played well. Fran could have gone to a small lineup. Sandfort had 12 rebounds, Krikke had 11, Freeman had 6 (1 stl and 2 blks) to go along with 10 points. PMac had 8 points and 3 rebounds in almost as many minutes as Freeman. Freeman was more active than PMac. PMac had 1 foul, which indicates the lack of activity and physicality for his size. Sure, Freeman had 4 fouls to PMac's 1. Freeman is active and plays with physicality. However, Fran could have divided PMac's minutes with Harding. At PMac's size, he's not going to pick up many fouls if he's out on the perimeter while the others are crashing the glass.
Freeman gets almost all of his fouls reaching, not being physical. He needs to learn how to wall up without reaching for the ball. He and Dembele (even more) both need to learn how to hedge and defend the pick and roll.

Freeman gets almost all of his fouls reaching, not being physical. He needs to learn how to wall up without reaching for the ball. He and Dembele (even more) both need to learn how to hedge and defend the pick and roll.
Compared to PMac, Freeman is physical. Teaching the players how to defend with their chest and not do the grab is on Fran. Yes, clean it up.

ahhh...no and non-paid parent playing their kid is quite different situation anyway.

You don't give much of a chit about Basketball, but seemingly have a mission on defending coaching staffs in football and basketball. ME, if Fran won something special, then I'd shut up complaining about him. He gets paid a lot of money to be a public figure, don't sweat it worrying about his poor feelings.

lol…. Tell that to the parents of the other kids… And listen, there are a shit ton of PAID high school coaches in the country, playing their children.

Stop… and I love basketball, but I clearly don’t take it as serious as you do

Just stating an opinion/fact why PMac played a lot. I was surprised Harding didn’t play more too. He was getting a lot of minutes at the end of the year and provided a spark.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Agree with the above.

Krikke earned his PT last night, but sit Perk more and obviously tether Pmac to the bench. And isn't Perk, in a lot of ways, just a more athletic version of Pmac? So many twisting, off-balance, falling away heaves at the rim!

If someone has to get in foul trouble in order to get Brock in ... well 🤷‍♂️
JFC Just think if we had lost that game..Probably their best game of the year and all I read is a bunch of bitching. All you guys must be college coaches and winning every game you coach...... JMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT