ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa H.S. State Finals

Gammel…Gremmel…whatever. Doesn’t mean they aren’t related I guess.

For a freshman at 170 in 3A that’s impressive. And he looked really small for 170.
Someone posted on Twitter that he weighs 155. No idea if it’s accurate but he definitely looks small for 170.

Last edited:
Reactions: pumpdog20
I don’t mind watching a single match…
I do miss the emphasis IPTV put into it though.

You would think with today’s technology and resources that we would be able to have a stream forcesch of the three classes!

I watched on our 75” tv and the resolution was so poor you could hardly tell the scores or time.

But when it went to a full screen for a single match, it was back to like 4k.

But again, better than it used to be.

It looks like we saw the scenario play out where a few studs bull rushing through the tourney outweighed schools like WSR and West Delaware that have the great dual teams.

I looked and saw that all the Osage kids are underclassmen. 2A/3A were fun to follow. In 2A, it'd be interesting to see how the Burlington team is "constructed"? SE Iowa commune?

I'm as excited for the talent in the Iowa high schools as I've been in ten years.

This is great to see.

Last edited:
Apologies in advance as I'm 110% certain this has been posted more than a few times on our board, but where is Garvin going to school next year? Dang, he is really, really good and looks college ready imho.

Reactions: Gobblin
It looks like we saw the scenario play out where a few studs bull rushing through the tourney outweighed schools like WSR and West Delaware that have the great dual teams.

I looked and saw that all the Osage kids are underclassmen. 2A/3A were fun to follow. In 2A, it'd be interesting to see how the Burlington team is "constructed"? SE Iowa commune?

I'm as excited for the talent in the Iowa high schools as I've been in ten years.

This is great to see.

Pretty hypocritical of you to say that considering your Osage team had arguably the best recruiting class in the state coming in, with two state place winners from Crestwood included. Osage doesn’t bring home a trophy without them.

Pretty hypocritical of you to say that considering your Osage team had arguably the best recruiting class in the state coming in, with two state place winners from Crestwood included. Osage doesn’t bring home a trophy without them.
You missed the point. I was referencing that a great dual team is not necessarily a great traditional tournament team.

I know nothing of the makeup of the Osage team. Haven't lived there for many years.

You missed the point. I was referencing that a great dual team is not necessarily a great traditional tournament team.

I know nothing of the makeup of the Osage team. Haven't lived there for many years.
Remember that at ncaa tournament time with ISU being an awesome dual team vs where they place in the tournament. 😉

This is great to see.
What do you mean by commune? It’s a private school, Notre Dame, sharing with a public school, West Burlington. Same as it has been in the past just known as Notre Dame now instead of West Burlington. New coaches obviously with Plein and Siegel as well as other good assistants.

You have “reports” of a non viewed incident…. ignoring the fact the entire crowd was booing him while down…. meanwhile he couldn’t have been a better sport congratulating the guy for beating him giving him multiple pats/hugs highlighted by ironside …. And also dog the guy moving up classes for a better opportunity to prove himself….. got it
Actually I have family with first hand accounts of the event.. nice try though.

Reactions: el dub
Actually I have family with first hand accounts of the event.. nice try though.
Maybe just give him a pass? Someone likely was saying something to him, and maybe he lost his cool. He handled himself extraordinarily well on the mat given the circumstances, and I thought it was rough with some of the boos when he took brief injury timeout. One second was left, he knew it was over and probably just trying to collect himself in accepting the loss. Barely missed out on doing something extremely rare, handled himself on the mat graciously, and he's still just a kid. Not a good look if he did do that off the mat, but life is full of mistakes and I say forgive and forget. I wish him well in the next stage of his career.

What do you mean by commune? It’s a private school, Notre Dame, sharing with a public school, West Burlington. Same as it has been in the past just known as Notre Dame now instead of West Burlington. New coaches obviously with Plein and Siegel as well as other good assistants.
I love when people pretend that schools (public or private) aren't recruiting. Call it what will but most of the elite teams are bringing in kids from outside their district/community.

The entire arena seemingly cheering against Avila left a bad taste in my mouth.

It was an exciting ending with a lot of drama...the underdog won so there was going to be a lot of cheering. Were there some hard feelings for Avila? I'm sure there were. The kid had a great career and had his heart broken at the end. But the Downey kid had a helluva a tournament.

I love when people pretend that schools (public or private) aren't recruiting. Call it what will but most of the elite teams are bringing in kids from outside their district/community.
Correct, however many of them don’t have to have actual people recruit. Their academic/athletic successes recruit on their own. Some people want to be a part of a good athletic/academic school especially one with good community support. If they have aspirations of playing college they get a leg up when going to these better teams. It’s human nature, also part of the reason for club sports.

Is Porter committed anywhere yet? Being from Northwest Iowa I’m a fan of night of conflict and that’s where I first saw him Wrestle he beat block convincingly he is very physical. Des Moines registers said he’s beat five state champions this year not sure if that was a mistake or even possible do we have any interest or a shot with him?

Reactions: funnyfletcher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT