ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa hs finals

I don't know why, but usually every year at the State Tournament I am drawn to a wrestler or two that did not realize his dream of becoming a state champion...but still wrestled well and achieved as much as he could, short of winning the championship. This year I was partial to Zernich of Lisbon and Doyle of ICW, who both ended up in 3rd...but both of whom are plenty good enough to have become a champion in other years/brackets.

Zernich came in as a district runner-up, where he lost by only 1 point to West of HRS, who himself is plenty good and was the eventual runner up. Unfortunately, that district 2nd place and luck of the draw put Zernich in a 1st round match up with arguably the best wrestler in the whole tournament, Thomsen, where he lost a tough, close match. Nevertheless, he wrestled all the way back to 3rd in a salty bracket. Congrats to him!!

To build on your post, you may want to include anyone who finished 2nd/3rd behind the Portillo's of Ohio. For instance, Connor Cleveland who finished 3rd, found himself on the same side as Portillo and lost 4-2 in the semis. He then pinned his way to 3rd. The runner up from the other side of the bracket was Michael Millage whom Cleveland had beaten each of the prior 3 weekends with increasing ease. That's two quality kids who may have won a state title had the Portillos taken their talents elsewhere or stayed where they were.

Pretty sure it has been established by "Cook's camp" that he would like to at least walk on to the football team. Why would any guy wanting to be on the football field want to keep his weight down to make 184?

197? Sure, but I can't see him being a 184 wrestler and able to even stay on a division I roster.

I think Borschell might be on that most recent list.

State populations??? Iowa -3 Million. PA -What? 8-10 Million.
-----

Iowa 3.1m
PA 12.8m

PA has a culture for HS wrestling (as does Iowa) but with more than 4x the population, they'll have a significantly larger pool to pull from.

Borschel did not win multiple NCAA titles so he wasn't included on the list. Nate Moore (staph infection) and Carew (multiple injuries) never really got going so I wouldn't put them squarely in the didn't pan out category. And Nate Moore and Nick won a couple of national high school titles so if they didn't succeed in college it wasn't because they weren't among the best in the country when they wrestled high school in Iowa- the Fargo titles prove they were. I think the talent in Iowa has been steady and probably better than it was in the late 90's-early 2000's- just not where it was in the 80's (Schwab, Knight, Hamilton, the Brands, Chelesvig, on and on). I'm just basing that opinion on results at high school national competitions and from memory (for whatever that's worth!).
------

Some years are up some down. I remember in early 2000's Iowa had 2 guys #1 at their weight (Sebolt and Fields at the lightest and heaviest weights). Also, around 2005, there was a ton of talent... might've been the toughest in a while - M*, Slaton, Borschel, Ballweg, Sebolt, Beatty, LeClere, Ettelson, and others. Currently with the top guy ranked #4 in his weight class, it doesn't seem like a particularly strong year for Iowa HS.

Can someone tell me if any freshmen won a title this year and how many can still win 4 titles? Thanks
I can confirm not one freshman won a title this year. I think Alex Thomsen is the only guy with a chance to win four, but of course he still has to win #3 before thinking about the fourth one. Am I missing anyone?

Pretty sure it has been established by "Cook's camp" that he would like to at least walk on to the football team. Why would any guy wanting to be on the football field want to keep his weight down to make 184?

197? Sure, but I can't see him being a 184 wrestler and able to even stay on a division I roster.
No he said himself he would take the wrestling offer somewhere if he doesn't receive football offers

I can confirm not one freshman won a title this year. I think Alex Thomsen is the only guy with a chance to win four, but of course he still has to win #3 before thinking about the fourth one. Am I missing anyone?

Teske

Yeah. But he won last year. Were you not asking for wrestlers with a chance to be a 4 timer?

The previous poster did not specify he won it as a freshman so I assumed he was saying he was a freshman this year. I'm straight now. Thanks fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT