ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (w) vs Ohio St Game Thread*****

I think Iowa recognized Ohio State's bigs were a problem and were able to successfully neutralize them for the 3rd quarter. In trying to do that they went away from the distance shooting they usually do and never really went back to it. They ended up going to Ohio State's strength. This could have been a result of how Ohio State was defending them as well. Even Caitlyn wasn't looking for the 3 in the second half as much and was driving the lane.
I thought she deferred to other players too much as well.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
I remember Taco Charlton of Michigan creaming some old Iowa fan when he stormed the field.

True, but entering the ball into the post like OSU did time after time tends to draw more fouls.
True, but these refs called about 4 or 5 fouls where there wasn’t one. Women’s officials anticipate way too many then refuse or don’t see some obvious ones. CC got some in her favor but McMahon got way more and should have had 10 on herself. No way I could coach with what is put on the floor with officials.

Reactions: kceasthawk
They refs sucked but getting up by 12 it seemed they thought they had the game in the bag and let up

True, but these refs called about 4 or 5 fouls where there wasn’t one. Women’s officials anticipate way too many then refuse or don’t see some obvious ones. CC got some in her favor but McMahon got way more and should have had 10 on herself. No way I could coach with what is put on the floor with officials.

All a matter of perspective I suppose.

Ironically Buckeye fans are complaining that Iowa got way more favorable calls from the officials.

Question for all fans.

Why do fans (from all fan bases) automatically blame officials after a loss. I see it at every level.

Because the crew was garbage?

Would Iowa fans be complaining about the officials today had they won?

Of course not but I would have still thought the crew was garbage and thought Iowa won in spite of playing 5 on 8.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
Glad Clark is ok, but people are getting a little carried away with court storming situation. First of all, the girl did not do it intentionally. "Fans" on this board wanting to know her name (via Tik Tok) and demanding a fine or a lawsuit need to get a grip.

OSU should be fined and the young woman should be charged and banned from the arena. She had no business being on the court.

Aren’t you an ISU fan?

Reactions: tweeterhawk
I thought the whole team was playing in a fog today. Just didn't seem like there wasn't a lot of energy. Long season and teams will have games like this, and yet they still could have won.

Someone said Jan Jansen said in post game that 5 to 7 players had food poisoning / flu like symptoms before the game. That would explain a lot.

Clark only had 3 assists today. Iowa's offense wasn't very smooth, even though they scored 83 points in regulation.

She had 7 assists and 3 boards.
Yeah, I remembered wrong. 3 rebounds, not 3 assists. Iowa actually assisted on a high percentage of shots, while Ohio State had a lot of 1-on-1s and second chance points. Had Ohio State lost the game, the analysis would have been they didn't share the ball enough.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Yeah, I remembered wrong. 3 rebounds, not 3 assists. Iowa actually assisted on a high percentage of shots, while Ohio State had a lot of 1-on-1s and second chance points. Had Ohio State lost the game, the analysis would have been they didn't share the ball enough.
Ohio State wanted to beat Iowa so bad after the way we embarrassed them last year -- which was after we broke their undefeated record and served them up some humble pie on national TV. Six of our players were sick. Clark was visibly pallid -- I said it as soon as I turned the tv on. I said "Clark looks like shit" -- I was not surprised to hear that was more than just speculation. Despite all that, we were one free throw from winning. Went to overtime versus a team that has ALWAYS spanked us up until last year. Most (but not all observers) picked OSU to win the B1G, over Iowa.

Year in and year out, OSU recruits at a much higher level than we do and still does. But we have matched up well with them recently and had some big wins. We almost won this. We play them again at home and I'm hopeful for a different outcome with a healthy team. OSU is not likely to shoot like that again.

This is not a bad loss -- by any measure -- and we will continue to win games. Shit happens, they will lose and move on. Much better -- from an optics perspective as well as the NET -- to lose to OSU than Illinois or Nebraska. The team will be fine.

OSU recruits better ONLY on paper. I contend our talent level has at least been equal to that of OSU from the Gustafson/Doyle years to the present.

Went to overtime versus a team that has ALWAYS spanked us up until last year. Most (but not all observers) picked OSU to win the B1G, over Iowa.
To be fair after Kelsey Mitchell graduated Ohio State was really down for a couple of years. I remember during one game at Columbus, Iowa had a 30-point lead early, and I said to myself perhaps Iowa should show a little mercy. But of course no spanking can compare to last year's Big Ten tournament final.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT