ADVERTISEMENT

ISU vs Memphis

That "high power" b12 offense looked great vs a mediocre Memphis team lol.

Anyone who thought memphis was a top 25 team is flat out nuts!
And the Big XII doesn't play defense.....but ISU, playing without three starting DBs, held a team averaging 48 ppg to 20, at their place.

Reactions: Foxclone
Mesa - I do agree all sites have the proverbial village idiots. And I know I have been one now and again. But even being objective there is a certain insane obsession with Iowa by a couple and 1 in particular poster on CF. I used be amused by his obsession with Iowa but his blatant hatred has no bounds and is downright scary. This guy has over 30k posts with three quarters dealing with Iowa. I quit reading when he starting calling Coach Fran's 15 year old cancer survivor kid "spoiled and entitled" along with a few more adjectives. That is downright sick. But in fairness to for example you and LC who enjoy good banter 1 bad apple should ruin the whole fan base. Happy New Year.

Reactions: NI hawk
And the Big XII doesn't play defense.....but ISU, playing without three starting DBs, held a team averaging 48 ppg to 20, at their place.
Randy P. seemed to write a lot about Peavy lately (did he play?), which got me wondering, why didn't Peavy tell the cops who was with him when he was arrested? Or is there some reason?

PS, who were the three who didn't play, and why, injuries or other?

Mesa - I do agree all sites have the proverbial village idiots. And I know I have been one now and again. But even being objective there is a certain insane obsession with Iowa by a couple and 1 in particular poster on CF. I used be amused by his obsession with Iowa but his blatant hatred has no bounds and is downright scary. This guy has over 30k posts with three quarters dealing with Iowa. I quit reading when he starting calling Coach Fran's 15 year old cancer survivor kid "spoiled and entitled" along with a few more adjectives. That is downright sick. But in fairness to for example you and LC who enjoy good banter 1 bad apple should ruin the whole fan base. Happy New Year.
It's weird but, as you say, it's a few posters. CF is full of children...literally.

Randy P. seemed to write a lot about Peavy lately (did he play?), which got me wondering, why didn't Peavy tell the cops who was with him when he was arrested? Or is there some reason?

PS, who were the three who didn't play, and why, injuries or other?
2 seniors suspended and 1 got hurt pretty early in the game. I thought the 'D' would get lit up. Cotton-Moya, Edwards, and Payne.

I agree that that is weird and creepy...though I admit I don't go there enough to know of whom you speak. There has been some idiot on Iowa rivals...he keeps getting banned and returning under new names, now he seems to bounce between sites...can't recall his screen name....who was very similar.

I'd say we're all better off ignoring these types of goons...good banter and some trash talk is what these sites are about, when it turns bitter and guys start doing the "internet tough guy" stuff it gets absurd.

Amidst all the rancor of the in-state football game...there's a great picture floating around, wish I could find it, of 3 Iowa State fans helping an Iowa fan in a wheelchair get up the ramps at the stadium. Great example of sportsmanship and wear "fandom" should stop and being a decent human being should kick in. Best of luck to the Hawks next year...minus one game...looks like we are ALL going to have a miserable basketball season so lets look forward to spring practice!

Reactions: Foxclone
Mesa - totally agree the high percentage of "good" fans get it. Like I said happy New Year to you and LC. And I agree, my God we banter about 18-22 kids. Sometimes people go over the edge. Be safe Mesa and LC and talk to you next year!

2 seniors suspended and 1 got hurt pretty early in the game. I thought the 'D' would get lit up. Cotton-Moya, Edwards, and Payne.
Okay, amid all the ball games yesterday, none of which I watched in the entirety, I thought I heard an announcer say a Memphis player, important to the team, was not playing. Or was that one of the other games?
And BTW, when I was much younger I thought Memphis has the nickname of "Pharaohs" (sp). Wonder if they ever did. That would be cool. Too many tiger nicknames.

Congrats. to the clones on the win, but everyone knows Memphis would not be rated in the top 25 if they played in a power 5 conference.
Ya, they beat 2 top 25 teams, and almost beat UCF. Let's revisit after UCF bowl game.

I agree if they played in the Big12 where 80% of teams went to bowls, and you played all the teams in the conference, they would have a tough time. :)

SEC - Not ranked
B1G East - Not ranked
B1G West - Top 25
B12 - Not Ranked
Pac12 - Top 25
ACC - Top 25

I agree that that is weird and creepy...though I admit I don't go there enough to know of whom you speak. There has been some idiot on Iowa rivals...he keeps getting banned and returning under new names, now he seems to bounce between sites...can't recall his screen name....who was very similar.

I'd say we're all better off ignoring these types of goons...good banter and some trash talk is what these sites are about, when it turns bitter and guys start doing the "internet tough guy" stuff it gets absurd.

Amidst all the rancor of the in-state football game...there's a great picture floating around, wish I could find it, of 3 Iowa State fans helping an Iowa fan in a wheelchair get up the ramps at the stadium. Great example of sportsmanship and wear "fandom" should stop and being a decent human being should kick in. Best of luck to the Hawks next year...minus one game...looks like we are ALL going to have a miserable basketball season so lets look forward to spring practice!
Yeah,,,,,but the Hawkeye fan didn't WANTj to go up the ramp;)

Edwards reportedly was academically ineligible; quite a trick for a guy who got his degree from Duke in three years.-M
Cotton-Moya reportedly had illegal contact with an agent (officially "violation of team rules).
Payne was injured early in the first quarter and didn't return.

Glass houses.

Nobody on this site even comes close to Cytwins or 1976. They deserve misery end of story.

Ya, they beat 2 top 25 teams, and almost beat UCF. Let's revisit after UCF bowl game.

I agree if they played in the Big12 where 80% of teams went to bowls, and you played all the teams in the conference, they would have a tough time. :)

SEC - Not ranked
B1G East - Not ranked
B1G West - Top 25
B12 - Not Ranked
Pac12 - Top 25
ACC - Top 25
Perhaps, but the Big West is 4-0 in Bowl games. It is just my opinion, but I don't think they would be ranked if they played in a power 5 conf..

Reactions: Bobhaywood

SEC - Not ranked
B1G East - Not ranked
B1G West - Top 25
B12 - Not Ranked
Pac12 - Top 25
ACC - Top 25
They didn't beat a single top 25 team. Nebraska was ranked in the top 10 for a minute last year even though they sucked.....beating them last year was not a "top 10 win" for us lol.

You do realize the b1g west has 2 teams with a tougher SOS than any b12 team right?
8 bowl teams! That is awesome. Win your 3 OOC games, beat a worthless KU and BU team.....that means you have to go 1-6 in the other 7 games. WOW!

UCF....why do you guys only mention the 2nd game, where frost was already out the door and they had all the distractions? You guys never seem to mention UCF blew memphis out the water before all that was going on......
Try harder nellie!

when they play 1 power 5 team(and a mediocre one at that), their numbers are pretty worthless to me.....

Too much is being made about Memphis not being a Power 5 school. Are they 10-2 in a Power 5 conference? Probably not, but Memphis is still a really good team, and that was a really good win for ISU.

I would like to see ISU (and Iowa) play a team like Memphis as a non-conference game. Easier said than done.

They didn't beat a single top 25 team. Nebraska was ranked in the top 10 for a minute last year even though they sucked.....beating them last year was not a "top 10 win" for us lol.

You do realize the b1g west has 2 teams with a tougher SOS than any b12 team right?
8 bowl teams! That is awesome. Win your 3 OOC games, beat a worthless KU and BU team.....that means you have to go 1-6 in the other 7 games. WOW!

UCF....why do you guys only mention the 2nd game, where frost was already out the door and they had all the distractions? You guys never seem to mention UCF blew memphis out the water before all that was going on......
Try harder nellie!
Ya Memphis beat 2 Top 25 teams, UCLA and Navy. And don't forget Memphis is ranked higher by Sagarin, that Boston College. Pretty sure if Iowa beat Memphis, we would be hearing about it helped your strength of schedule, etc.

Not being in a Power 5 conference does not imply you're a bad team. Conversely, being in a Power 5 conference does not imply you're a good team (i.e. Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Baylor, etc)

Memphis is average at best and benefitted from playing in a non-P5 conference. Finishing the regular season 10-2 is probably more like 6-6 or 5-7 in a P5 conference. Probably worse in this year's B1G.

Still, congrats to Iowa State. See you at Kinnick!

Reactions: pkongsh
I'm happy ISU won and I'm happy they are earning respect nationally. I've hated the game forever because a win did nothing for the Iowa program and a loss was always viewed as very costly. That's a no win situation and we might as well play a lesser program that didn't play it like their super bowl, and don't even pretend that historically that's not how they treated it.

A strong and nationally relevant ISU is great for the state and will make it a true rivalry. If winning a game causes relief, that's not a rivalry, sorry. It's an annoyance. Keep knocking off top tier teams and winning bowls and it will be a rivalry. Keep this coach and keep this momentum and it will be moving forward, and that's a great thing.

Funny to see ISU fans talking about how "legit" of an opponent Memphis was at 10-2 vs. an SOS in the mid-80s, while the same fans were calling Iowa a joke a few years ago after going 12-0 vs. an SOS 24 spots higher.

Ya Memphis beat 2 Top 25 teams, UCLA and Navy. And don't forget Memphis is ranked higher by Sagarin, that Boston College. Pretty sure if Iowa beat Memphis, we would be hearing about it helped your strength of schedule, etc.

Not being in a Power 5 conference does not imply you're a bad team. Conversely, being in a Power 5 conference does not imply you're a good team (i.e. Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Baylor, etc)
Early rankings mean absolutely nothing. It is where you end.
I'm pretty sure if Iowa beat memphis, we'd say yay....then move right on because it doesn't mean much. Just like beating bc didn't mean much

I'm happy ISU won and I'm happy they are earning respect nationally. I've hated the game forever because a win did nothing for the Iowa program and a loss was always viewed as very costly. That's a no win situation and we might as well play a lesser program that didn't play it like their super bowl, and don't even pretend that historically that's not how they treated it.

A strong and nationally relevant ISU is great for the state and will make it a true rivalry. If winning a game causes relief, that's not a rivalry, sorry. It's an annoyance. Keep knocking off top tier teams and winning bowls and it will be a rivalry. Keep this coach and keep this momentum and it will be moving forward, and that's a great thing.

Please do back and read your history of when the rivalry started again in the '70s. Iowa did not want to play in Ames initially the first 2 - 3 years. As far as nothing to gain, why schedule to play MAC teams? That is just silly.

Here we go again. Go back to the 70's. how about the fact ISU is a bottom 10 all time program. You had a great year leave it. And your AD wouldn't let us out to play ND for 2 years without threats of a lawsuit. You can't get a home and home with a P5 outside of Iowa. Jesus you played at Akron. Sad. So stop.

Please do back and read your history of when the rivalry started again in the '70s. Iowa did not want to play in Ames initially the first 2 - 3 years. As far as nothing to gain, why schedule to play MAC teams? That is just silly.
A warm up win before conf play that is an easy game. That's why you play sub par competition before the conference season starts. When a program that is viewed nationally as sub par beats you regularly, it's horrible for the season. Kudos to Iowa State for beating us regularly. The point isn't that the series hasn't been competitive... it has, clearly. The point is that we exhale when we win because a win isn't valued like other difficult non-conference games are. Going into next season, I will be stoked if we win because Iowa State is viewed as relevant nationally. That will make it a true rivalry, we will want to play you and a win is valued. Before that, how the hell is it a legit rivalry? I couldn't care less about bragging rights, I just want the game over.

As long as you follow this season up with a history of winning seasons, it will be a great rivalry for the state and a valuable win for either team. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, it's just reality.

I am so tired of ISU fans after 1 good year talking. Jesus. Can't get a P5 team outside of Iowa to play home and home. Won't let Iowa out for 2 years to play ND cause of Cyclone irrelevance if Iowa is not on the schedule. Iowa has played at least 10 P5 teams outside of the stupid ISU K in the last 15 years and ISU none. Cause win and you still lose. So shut up ISU fans. Enjoy your year and coach for 1 more year.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
I am so tired of ISU fans after 1 good year talking. Jesus. Can't get a P5 team outside of Iowa to play home and home. Won't let Iowa out for 2 years to play ND cause of Cyclone irrelevance if Iowa is not on the schedule. Iowa has played at least 10 P5 teams outside of the stupid ISU K in the last 15 years and ISU none. Cause win and you still lose. So shut up ISU fans. Enjoy your year and coach for 1 more year.
And after they win they come to our board and tell us how great they are, but nowhere to be found after a loss. They don't get it that we don't care.

Reactions: RogerKint
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT