ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk must not have taken any statistics; he wrecked his own logic

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
You may have read Kirk's quote below in bold from the recent presser. Kirk throws out these stats without thinking of what he is saying. He talks about the record when his team scores 24 points a game but at the same time he knows in 2022 his team only scored 17.8 pts per game. It is just not good to score that little and go 8-5 with such a great defense.

I wonder what kind of deviation pattern his offensive scoring is by season?

Kirk, your job should be to have better offensive goals and achieve them. I used to think "only if Kirk's teams could score 31 pts a game" and when they did that they had some amazing teams. So I would say the offensive goals should be something like 1. greater than 3.7 yards per carry (4+ would be better), 2. a 50% decline in rushes for loss, 3. a large decline in QB pressures and sacks, 4. much improved pass completion percentage at 66% and yards per pass, and 5. 60% red zone TD rate.

So do whatever you have to do to scheme and coach your way to achieve this.

Reporters Question I believe: What would you say to fans who want sweeping changes?

“I'll share a stat with you. When we score 24 points, do you want to venture a guess at our record the last (eight) years?” Ferentz posed, before answering it. “Yeah, it's 55-3, which I think everybody would take that. But nobody likes the 24. That's where the rub really is, in my opinion. I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."

Kirk, your job should be to have better offensive goals and achieve them. I used to think "only if Kirk's teams could score 31 pts a game" and when they did that they had some amazing teams. So I would say the offensive goals should be something like 1. greater than 3.7 yards per carry (4+ would be better), 2. a 50% decline in rushes for loss, 3. a large decline in QB pressures and sacks, 4. much improved pass completion percentage at 66% and yards per pass, and 5. 60% red zone TD rate.

Reporters Question I believe: What would you say to fans who want sweeping changes?

“I'll share a stat with you. When we score 24 points, do you want to venture a guess at our record the last (eight) years?” Ferentz posed, before answering it. “Yeah, it's 55-3, which I think everybody would take that. But nobody likes the 24. That's where the rub really is, in my opinion. I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."
His job is to win games.

When was the last time the offense actually scored 24 points? The offense, not the defense and special teams. That means driving the ball across midfield and putting points on the board.
To answer your question, I do not think the offense did that at all last year especially if you say where they started their drives on their own side of the 50.

“I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."
Then maybe you shouldn't accept being among the worst offenses in the country. Despite our great defense, we didn't have enough wins to win even a very weak Big Ten West last year, Kirk.

That's the most dispiriting part of all this, for me. Kirk's central thesis these days always being about defending himself and not on how we can improve a historically bad offense to maybe actually beat, say, an awful Cornhusker team, and, you know, win more games.

I've been a borderline Ferentz apologist for like ever but I'm growing tired of this crap.

He sold the players out when he said the "staffing was fine, it was the personnel. " Or something reallly close to that in the conf.

Oh well, he'll continue with where he is until someone either gets a pair and nudges him out or he has to retire medically.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
When was the last time the offense actually scored 24 points? The offense, not the defense and special teams. That means driving the ball across midfield and putting points on the board.
I think this speaks for itself...

CDJ and X had more TDs (4) than our entire WR group all year (3)
KM and JE had 3 fumble recovery for TDs.... same # as our WRs

The offense was that pathetic. There really isn't a word to describe how bad it was

His job is to win games.

Ok, let's look at that, at Iowa he is winning 62% of all of his games and he wins 58% of his Big 10 games. So another way of saying that is Kirk averages basically a 6-4 record per 10 games in all games and conference games.

I am going to say that is historically better than Iowa's overall all time football record of 54.4% on a much larger sample size.

But winning 6 of every 10 games is not out of sight great. And if his teams averaged even 3 or 7 more points a game each season he would have a much better record.

With all the resources I find it hard to believe the hawks could only score 6 points on 2 field goals at Illinois. And one field goal came after a forced turnover by the Dee gave the offense the ball at about the Illini 5 or 10 yard line. I know enough about playing sports to know it can be hard to get everything going but that was a very disappointing scoring effort. If Iowa wins that game they would not have had to win the Nebby game. And I would have liked to see our defense against Mich again on a neutral field.

Reactions: Bishop1971
He sold the players out when he said the "staffing was fine, it was the personnel. " Or something reallly close to that in the conf.

Oh well, he'll continue with where he is until someone either gets a pair and nudges him out or he has to retire medically.

Imagine being one of the lineman and being thrown under the bus like that. Good coaches adapt to their personnel. Our offensive coordinator did not.

how the hell did KJ average 5.2 ypc with middle school tier line play?
By making the correct cuts a few times to go 75 yards for a TD, maybe 44 for a TD, and having several other 20 yard runs. When you get about 160+ yards on 8 or so carries that helps the old average.

KJ can be a big time home run hitting back, he is smooth, runs with his head up but with some good lean to break tackles, sees holes and can make the moves.

You may have read Kirk's quote below in bold from the recent presser. Kirk throws out these stats without thinking of what he is saying. He talks about the record when his team scores 24 points a game but at the same time he knows in 2022 his team only scored 17.8 pts per game. It is just not good to score that little and go 8-5 with such a great defense.

Okay but you get his gist. People want their team to put up 50 per game like it’s the NBA. What he says is most of the time can win with significantly fewer points and the goal is to win.

Maybe not scared but the QBs are taught to be turnover averse and dont take chances. That means conservative small play football
Stanzi must not have listened and I would say Beathard took shots. Stanley at times did as well.

I seriously think Kirk has some Moneyball shit going on.

There's another stat where it's like if we don't turn the ball over we win 90% of the time.

It's why our QB's play so scared.
Goal is to win ultimately. Like the boxer who holds back in defensive mode until their opponent makes a wrong move and you land a solid one. It’s the rope a dope like Ali.

Reactions: packerdave
It is confusing.
On defense Iowa wants to force teams into long multi play drives knowing that offenses will make mistakes

Then designs an offensive that wants to run long multi play drives expecting no mistakes

An offense that his defense would love to play against. But hey, he wins more than he loses.

Okay but you get his gist. People want their team to put up 50 per game like it’s the NBA. What he says is most of the time can win with significantly fewer points and the goal is to win.
Yeah but the offense isn't even reaching that "significantly fewer points" threshold, yet he thinks his son is as good at his job as Phil Parker is at his.

To me the key is what happens at Wisconsin and Nebraska. If these two teams fail to make big strides Kirk will be able to point to his safety first offense as being the correct plan. If they make turnaround’s, it may force his hand.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

He truly is not very bright.

Reactions: hoythawk and blhawk

Wow....what a revelation: the more points you score, the more games you win.

And what is Kirk's record when they don't score 24 points? He neglected to tell us that.

Kirk basically admitted that once they score what he thinks is enough points to win the game, they go conservative. Used Purdue and 24 points as an example.

Last edited:

Those "sold out players" you mention are defenders of Coach Ferentz and the staff. But, I'm sure you know that the players do not like our Coach!

I think Kirk has done a great job with the program overall but these things need to be asked:

Do you feel like you could win more games if your offense scores more points?

Do you think your offense needs to score at least 3 points when they start with the ball in opposing territory?

My favorite...

Your philosophy has always been ball control. How do you justify that the offense is working with the number of series leading to three and outs turning that won't flip field position?

Yeah but the offense isn't even reaching that "significantly fewer points" threshold, yet he thinks his son is as good at his job as Phil Parker is at his.
Brian is doing what Kirk tells him he can do. How many times do people have to state this. Brian isn’t throwing in RPO and throwing out offers to whatever QB he wants to.

I took a look at it and thought, Jesus. Is th that hard to score 24 points in modern football, with a defense that keeps giving you opportunities? Literally showing that if his offense could be average, they win 55 times agains 3 losses. What could have been with an offense with a pulse?

Kirk, this is unacceptable.

Period.

Goal is to win ultimately. Like the boxer who holds back in defensive mode until their opponent makes a wrong move and you land a solid one. It’s the rope a dope like Ali.
But you don’t see the frustration! We have abysmal offenses and win because of defense. A little help from the O and we are a top ten team the last two years.

Kirk, this is unacceptable.

Period.

Kirk would have to fire himself though. He knows he owns a good chunk of this. If you look at last season and look at how terrible the blocking was most of the time it’s easy to see in the 12 games last year why we didn’t score more. You gotta be able go block. And as Kirk said over and over there was no help on the way there no matter who the coach was. The talent and experience just wasn’t there and wasn’t on the bench to come in to fix it.

Kirk would have to fire himself though. He knows he owns a good chunk of this. If you look at last season and look at how terrible the blocking was most of the time it’s easy to see in the 12 games last year why we didn’t score more. You gotta be able go block. And as Kirk said over and over there was no help on the way there no matter who the coach was. The talent and experience just wasn’t there and wasn’t on the bench to come in to fix it.

but when you go back to 2015 and look at the last 8 seasons, and not just last season....

Check out the tweet below. So, that's an average of 5 games/season over the last 8 seasons where we scored 23 or fewer points

so, this isn't a one season issue; it's been ongoing....

Crazy since the offense only scored 24 or more points 3 times this past season. And 2 of those games the offense got the ball with 50 or fewer yards to go for one of the scoring drives that helped them get to the 24 point line. The 3rd game required a 51 yard scoring drive.

So basically, if we have to drive at least 60 yards and the other team isn’t turning over the ball we aren’t scoring 24.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT