LSU Starters:

Angel Reese, 6'3 Jr.................18.7 pts, 13.2 rebs, 2.3 assts
Aneesah Morrow, 6'1 Jr....... 16.5 pts, 9.9 rebs, 1.7 assts
Mikaylah Williams, 6'0 Fr......14.4 pts, 4.8 rebs, 2.9 assts
Flau'Jae Johnson, 5'10 So......14.7 pts, 5.5 rebs, 2.5 assts
Hailey Van Lith, 5'7 Sr............11.7 pts, 2.5 rebs, 3.7 assts

usatsi_20274128.jpg

84897e2a-5025-4575-8fc6-cf4f0475a675_text.gif

Looking at last year's game, Hannah played 11 mins; Syd played 2.

Iowa needs to push the pace (LSU only goes about 7 deep, as I noted above).

Get LSU tired on defense and maybe that takes away their legs on offense.

Just a question, and I don’t know the answer. As games go deeper into the tournament are there more TV Timeouts? If so that would negate the lack of depth. I know at the state tournament coaches in the finals have altered rotations a bit due to more breaks in the action

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I hope eventually ALL of our fans will appreciate how good this TEAM is not just CC.

It’s been hard for me to understand. We opened as a favorite and yet it appears we still have fans that aren’t expecting to win…

It’s like they don’t believe how good we are.

Let me tell you something if the oddsmakers thought LSU was a lot better team than the spread would be in their favor but it wasn’t…

Another thing that I find interesting is that the spread hasn’t moved at all. Now maybe it will near game time but it opened it -1.5 Iowa and has stayed right there

Reactions: Hendy hawk
You were going to have to face someone good. Currently they are a 1 guard 2 post team, 1 decent sized post 1 undersized post. Both aggressive. Honestly I think Martin and Affolter will be able to do just fine against Morrow. The issue is Morrow will have to defend one of those 2 and constantly get pulled out to the 3 point line. If the bumps and overly aggressive nature gets called, it is in our favor. Just need Gabby to hit shots. Foul Trouble will determine this game more than anything.

Yes….awesome, someone that is looking at it from LSUs angle. We are NOT an easy matchup for anyone.

The only way Iowa loses is if someone goes off from three or they can guard Caitlin one on one.

I don't see either happening tonight.

I'm more worried about her locking up like she did against WVU than foul trouble.

When she had 10 rebounds and single handily kept @ least 3 possessions alive with gritty, big time offensive rebounds?! One she grabbed and threw out for a 3 while falling down…

The only way Iowa loses is if someone goes off from three or they can guard Caitlin one on one.

I don't see either happening tonight.

Wow….I need to apologize to this thread. There are lots of you guys in here that are proud confident fans.

Guys, don’t forget they had a girl last year go off from 3-pt range in that game. That’s why LSU won pulling away… I don’t think that’s gonna happen again, and for those of you paying close attention, we are a much better defensive team than we were last year. Now we’re never going to be Confused for the West Virginia women or Iowa State men, but we can play defense, we can chase, and we are a very good rebounding team …

Hannah Stuelke could start for any team in America I promise you… Kate Martin would be a joyful addition to any team in America. & I believe Sydney Affolter has been the wildcard to the end of our season…..

We have TALENT…. we don’t have to play otherworldly we just have to play, hard, Smart, and not lose our heads.

They’re so tall AND we don’t get production from O’Grady.

It’s gonna be tough to win this one.

I’m not gonna even bother going back to look but I would wager we’ve played 10 to 15 teams significantly taller than LSU women’s team…just sayin…🤓

Reactions: shikreto
Trying to convince myself as an Iowa fan that this isn't just another time when an Iowa team has had a great season, and with a huge opportunity on the line we lay an egg.

I confess I've been to too many bowl games and big ten championships, and I know women's basketball is different.

I hope eventually ALL of our fans will appreciate how good this TEAM is not just CC.

It’s been hard for me to understand. We opened as a favorite and yet it appears we still have fans that aren’t expecting to win…

It’s like they don’t believe how good we are.

Let me tell you something if the oddsmakers thought LSU was a lot better team than the spread would be in their favor but it wasn’t…

Another thing that I find interesting is that the spread hasn’t moved at all. Now maybe it will near game time but it opened it -1.5 Iowa and has stayed right there
What are we ATS in the tourney? Any idea?

LSU is tall, but Iowa is a better rebounding team this year than last year. Stuelke a little better than Czinano and Affolter a little better than Warnock. And Martin better than she was last year.

We have 4 girl’s averaging the 6.5 Monica avg or close….we are much better.

Where exactly do we match up poorly, honestly I think we are more skilled at most positions other than C which isn't that far off, and yes I am giving us a push at the 4. Hannah matches up better with Bayou Barbie than Czinano. Both athletic posts.

It isn’t a poor matchup for us…

Trying to convince myself as an Iowa fan that this isn't just another time when an Iowa team has had a great season, and with a huge opportunity on the line we lay an egg.

I confess I've been to too many bowl games and big ten championships, and I know women's basketball is different.

No offense but making the Elite 8 for the second year in a row is not exactly laying an egg.

I know losing a game is 100% unacceptable and everyone should be fired when it happens but shit happens in games; last year the refs made the game about them and that LSU girl went off from 3 in the first half.

Every fan of every sport should go in with the expectation that your team might lose.

And at this stage of the NCAA Tournament, all of the teams are good. When UCLA lost to LSU in the Sweet 16, they didn't lay an egg; they simply lost that day.

I’m not gonna even bother going back to look but I would wager we’ve played 10 to 15 teams significantly taller than LSU women’s team…just sayin…🤓
Yeah I read this and thought, are they rly that tall? Angel Reese is 6’3 (I assume she clears it but I’ve never seen someone call her 6’4 like often happens when they’re comfortably over the mark) and Morrow is 6’1. Stuelke is 6’2, Martin 6’0, O’grady clears 6’3.

I haven’t watched a lot of LSU this year. Really I’ve only seen them at their worst — the Colorado flop, the first SC loss. Can you tell us more about what they’re like at their best, and how Iowa might be able to overcome that advantage(s)? I do notice they they don’t rly have a true PG in the starting lineup. Is Poa a PG (I know she is a reserve)? TIA!

Yeah, Iowa is really good, and I'm confident they can probably beat 3 of the 4 (possible) teams going forward. This though, LSU, it's just a very weird game to figure. Much more a head game all through, much more easily swayed by variables beyond control.

This is a more difficult game than any in a F4---even SC, because that game is house money. As outside noise goes this game will the one people remember of Caitlin Clark. Just a lot going on here.

If the hawks can get through the 1st looking strong, shake the baggage of the game early, they can win. That will not be any easy thing to do.

Clark hitting her first attempts from 3 will be the canary for how it plays out. A confident CC is unstoppable. A frustrated CC plays right into LSU's hopes.

So, get through this one. Everything else will just be fun.

Yeah I read this and thought, are they rly that tall? Angel Reese is 6’3 (I assume she clears it but I’ve never seen someone call her 6’4 like often happens when they’re comfortably over the mark) and Morrow is 6’1. Stuelke is 6’2, Martin 6’0, O’grady clears 6’3.

I haven’t watched a lot of LSU this year. Really I’ve only seen them at their worst — the Colorado flop, the first SC loss. Can you tell us more about what they’re like at their best, and how Iowa might be able to overcome that advantage(s)? I do notice they they don’t rly have a true PG in the starting lineup. Is Poa a PG (I know she is a reserve)? TIA!
Morrow has a wicked spin move; Kate's hands will be full.

Well, I’m gonna confess right off the bat. I am not nearly as good as you at breaking down the game and each team in kind of a free, flowing easy to read formula like you have in the past….

But simply put… they are a hard nosed, physical, passionate, hard-working team. They truly are…this is a poor analogy and ill readily confess I’m mostly looking for laughs, but…

…they’re like some of us boys, when we were younger. Drink hard all night, get our asses up and work hard all day, maybe get in a fight or two along the way, and do it all again tomorrow…🤓

They are a fantastic offensive rebounding team. Of all the things in this game to worry about. That is mine…we go to sleep on the defensive glass in stretches.

I’m not worried about them being quicker than us, they aren’t…

I’m not worried about them being more athletic than us, they aren’t appreciably, or at all…

They are a solid shooting team, but not great. I’ve watched them play a few times and they go through stretches where they really have a hard time getting the ball in the basket, inside at that.

They are not a high-volume three point shooting team, yes they have a couple girls that can make them but they’ve made 140 at a 32% and Iowa has made 373 at a 38% clip..

They aren’t a full court press team…

They typically only play seven girls and they really don’t have a ton of ball handlers, Flo Johnson, HVL, and the freshman…Williams

For those of you that actually haven’t watched LSU play Reese is a hell of a ball player but she’s a throwback, physical brute of an interior player. She doesn’t have great handles she doesn’t have a great shot. She wears her emotions on her sleeve, as does the whole team.

Also, for those of you who have thought HVL was a dynamic point guard type, she is most assuredly not. She handles the ball. OK but she would not be a better ball handler than about four other girls on our team.

She also has really struggled this year and she’s only 5-7.

Gabby Marshall for comparison is 5–9…

They are rugged and play hard, but they are not “pretty”, they are not refined, they are not “composed”

As someone else above said, they can squabble and get in their own heads.

Maybe I’m a homer, but I see us winning and pulling away.

Foul trouble is a concern, but in my mind, if we have foul trouble, they are going to have foul trouble too. Because again I don’t know how many times they fouled out, but every game I’ve watched fouls have became a factor at the end…

Well, I’m gonna confess right off the bat. I am not nearly as good as you at breaking down the game and each team in kind of a free, flowing easy to read formula like you have in the past….

But simply put… they are a hard nosed, physical, passionate, hard-working team. They truly are…this is a poor analogy and ill readily confess I’m mostly looking for laughs, but…

…they’re like some of us boys, when we were younger. Drink hard all night, get our asses up and work hard all day, maybe get in a fight or two along the way, and do it all again tomorrow…🤓

They are a fantastic offensive rebounding team. Of all the things in this game to worry about. That is mine…we go to sleep on the defensive glass in stretches.

I’m not worried about them being quicker than us, they aren’t…

I’m not worried about them being more athletic than us, they aren’t appreciably, or at all…

They are a solid shooting team, but not great. I’ve watched them play a few times and they go through stretches where they really have a hard time getting the ball in the basket, inside at that.

They are not a high-volume three point shooting team, yes they have a couple girls that can make them but they’ve made 140 at a 32% and Iowa has made 373 at a 38% clip..

They aren’t a full court press team…

They typically only play seven girls and they really don’t have a ton of ball handlers, Flo Johnson, HVL, and the freshman…Williams

For those of you that actually haven’t watched LSU play Reese is a hell of a ball player but she’s a throwback, physical brute of an interior player. She doesn’t have great handles she doesn’t have a great shot. She wears her emotions on her sleeve, as does the whole team.

Also, for those of you who have thought HVL was a dynamic point guard type, she is most assuredly not. She handles the ball. OK but she would not be a better ball handler than about four other girls on our team.

She also has really struggled this year and she’s only 5-7.

Gabby Marshall for comparison is 5–9…

They are rugged and play hard, but they are not “pretty”, they are not refined, they are not “composed”

As someone else above said, they can squabble and get in their own heads.

Maybe I’m a homer, but I see us winning and pulling away.

Foul trouble is a concern, but in my mind, if we have foul trouble, they are going to have foul trouble too. Because again I don’t know how many times they fouled out, but every game I’ve watched fouls have became a factor at the end…
Ha thanks for the positive feedback! I’m not at all a basketball genius….I think it’s just my degree in journalism lmao. I’m rly not sure how I feel about our chance going into tonight. I see both sides — they’re clearly the more physical team and I expect to be out-rebounded. I worry about Stuelke’s toughness in the paint. But we’ve won plenty of games without dominating the interior. Do they plan man defense or do they prefer to just clog the paint?

Reactions: cmhawks99
Ha thanks for the positive feedback! I’m not at all a basketball genius….I think it’s just my degree in journalism lmao. I’m rly not sure how I feel about our chance going into tonight. I see both sides — they’re clearly the more physical team and I expect to be out-rebounded. I worry about Stuelke’s toughness in the paint. But we’ve won plenty of games without dominating the interior. Do they plan man defense or do they prefer to just clog the paint?

Well their style is literally a collision in progress, but they play man if memory serves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT