ADVERTISEMENT

Monday morning musing.....what would Hawk fans prefer?

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
As I sit and ponder over Iowa's disappointing loss to lowly Nebraska, I began to think (I know.....it surprised me, too!).......

Right now it appears the Hawks are locked into the 8/9 seed and likely need a minimum of 2 wins in the BTT to get to a 7. Would it be possible for them to fall to a 10? Suppose Hawk fans could only choose one of the following scenarios:

1. Hawks win 1 or 2 games in the BTT and get the 8/9 seed in the NCAA.
2. Hawks lose first game in BTT and get a 10 seed.

Those are the only options in this scenario. I realize everyone wants Iowa to win the BTT and so do I. But for the sake of this "what if", let's just assume these are the only 2 choices given to Hawk fans.

Personally, I would choose losing the BTT game and getting a 10 seed in the NCAA as I feel there would be a much better chance of a Sweet 16 than at an 8/9.

Bonus question......
Would you take 1-2 wins in the BTT and first round loss in the NCAA? Or a first game loss in the BTT and 1 win in the NCAA (losing the second game)?

Last edited:
Yeah, let's go undefeated and win both the BTT and NCAA championship.

I know most people don't care as much about BTT, but I'd like to see them win as many games as possible in BTT. Those are mostly so-so teams that Iowa can compete with. Purdue and Nebraska are the only two teams Fran can not beat.

The NCAA tourney is fairly predictable for Fran: Get blown out in 2nd game or occasionally bewildering loss to a nobody in 1st game.

I don't think seeding matters as much as Random luck in NCAA tourney. Clearly this is not a Top16 or even a Top25 team, but on any given night they might shoot the ball like one or opponent may miss a boat load of open 3ball shots.

The Portal after they get knocked out will be when things really happen.

Looks like RocknRollface is the only one who can read. Kudos!

I’d like to see something different after 13 seasons and winning only 51% of our Big 10 games and no sniff at the Sweet 16. We’re an average program … so while some still hold out hope we’d become something more - this is where we are and this is Iowa basketball and it’s not going to change under this regime. It’s simply not.

Do NOT want to lose to Wisconsin again. Period
Yeah, it would be a tough choice for me to have to lose to Wisconsin for the third time this year, just to fall to the ten seed and I hope the team and coaching staff would never consider that option.
Just go into the BTT trying to win as many games as we can and let the seeding chips fall where they may.

Yeah, it would be a tough choice for me to have to lose to Wisconsin for the third time this year, just to fall to the ten seed and I hope the team and coaching staff would never consider that option.
Just go into the BTT trying to win as many games as we can and let the seeding chips fall where they may.
Obviously that is what we fans want. But that is not what I am asking. I put forth a  hypothetical situation where there were only 2 possible scenarios, and asking which one Hawk fans would prefer. I am basically asking if folks would prefer a 10 seed, or 8/9.

Apparently not many want to play. Which is fine.

Last edited:
As I sit and ponder over Iowa's disappointing loss to lowly Nebraska, I began to think (I know.....it surprised me, too!).......

Right now it appears the Hawks are locked into the 8/9 seed and likely need a minimum of 2 wins in the BTT to get to a 7. Would it be possible for them to fall to a 10? Suppose Hawk fans could only choose one of the following scenarios:

Those are the only options in this scenario. I realize everyone wants Iowa to win the BTT and so do I. But for the sake of this "what if", let's just assume these are the only 2 choices given to Hawk fans.

Personally, I would choose losing the BTT game and getting a 10 seed in the NCAA as I feel there would be a much better chance of a Sweet 16 than at an 8/9.

Bonus question......
Would you take 1-2 wins in the BTT and first round loss in the NCAA? Or a first game loss in the BTT and 1 win in the NCAA (losing the second game)?
Standards Wow GIF by CBC

Obviously that is what we fans want. But that is not what I am asking. I put forth a  hypothetical situation where there were only 2 possible scenarios, and asking which one Hawk fans would prefer. I am basically asking if folks would prefer a 10 seed, or 8/9.

Apparently not many want to play. Which is fine.
10 seed because you miss the #1 seed in the tourney in round 2. I think it's a great question. But it's hard to say it out loud because it's another loss to Bucky if we're talking about the current big ten bracket.

Reactions: 83Hawk

Bonus question......
In this scenario of yours you would be whining & crying about Fran (like you always do) after the BTT loss that would push the Hawks to a 10 seed. So is that the reason you'd prefer they lose to Ohio State/Wisconsin?

In this scenario of yours you would be whining & crying about Fran (like you always do) after the BTT loss that would push the Hawks to a 10 seed. So is that the reason you'd prefer they lose to Ohio State/Wisconsin?
Seek help. And get your facts straight.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fivecardstud14
I'm breaking the rules of this scenario--but I have a hard time seeing Iowa fall low enough to be a 10, even with a loss on Thursday. It'll be a Q2 loss regardless or who the opponent is. You'd likely have to see all of the 5-8 teams that are below Iowa right now go on a bit of a run.

Bonus question......
Between those two options, my official answer is "I dont care". I've been watching Iowa lose in the first or 2nd Round of the NCAA year in and year out for the better part of the past 35 years. Doing it again.. Yawn.

But if you insist on a vote, I would always take the extra NCAA tournament game. I'd rather be on the 7/10 line. Iowa probably isn't beating a 1 or 2 seed, but a better shot at the 2 seed. See Tennessee a few years ago.

Between those two options, my official answer is "I dont care". I've been watching Iowa lose in the first or 2nd Round of the NCAA year in and year out for the better part of the past 35 years. Doing it again.. Yawn.

But if you insist on a vote, I would always take the extra NCAA tournament game. I'd rather be on the 7/10 line. Iowa probably isn't beating a 1 or 2 seed, but a better shot at the 2 seed. See Tennessee a few years ago.
Before I die, I would like....just once more....see the Hawks get to a Sweet 16.

I'll take the wins in the BTT and an 8 seed over the loss and a 10 seed. I'd rather this group go in with confidence.

I'd rather lose first round of BTT and win first round of NCAAs.

Reactions: amahawk
It will take 4 wins in 4 days to win the BTT, after seeing how flat they came out in ncaa tourney last year after doing that I couldnt care less about winning it. A win Thursday and loss Friday would be fine with me. The Dance is all that matters

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Iowa can be a tough out on any night. When you shoot as many 3's as they do, they always have a puncher's chance against anyone. They could pull an upset in the NCAA tournament. Not a team you want to put bets on because you never know how they're going to shoot.

There's really no difference between an 8/9/10 seed. I used to over think this but it's kind of pointless. The chances of 2 opponents shooting bad and Iowa shooting well are not very good.

You play to win the game!
Win Thurs win Fri win Sat win Sun win Thurs win Sat...then rest.

I’d like to see something different after 13 seasons and winning only 51% of our Big 10 games and no sniff at the Sweet 16. We’re an average program … so while some still hold out hope we’d become something more - this is where we are and this is Iowa basketball and it’s not going to change under this regime. It’s simply not.
Iowa has always been average program since 1990. It’s what we are and more than likely always will be.

Iowa has always been average program since 1990. It’s what we are and more than likely always will be.
As long as the fan base continues to be terrified of coaching changes and the University is content with the status quo....you are correct.

The program will never be more than what it is, if there is no desire/attempt to make it better. Many fans are ok with that. Many fans are not.

I don't dislike Fran, and I am happy that he brought Iowa basketball back from the abyss. But I also won't shed a tear when he leaves. I am not calling for him to be fired, but I am also ready for someone new.

Most years I would want to avoid the 8/9... but no 1 seed scares me. It's all luck and we are due for some. I can see us beating a 1 seed just as easily as a 2 so since I hate losing to Wisconsin and Osu I'll say win and get the 8/9

Reactions: 83Hawk
As long as the fan base continues to be terrified of coaching changes and the University is content with the status quo....you are correct.

The program will never be more than what it is, if there is no desire/attempt to make it better. Many fans are ok with that. Many fans are not.

I don't dislike Fran, and I am happy that he brought Iowa basketball back from the abyss. But I also won't shed a tear when he leaves. I am not calling for him to be fired, but I am also ready for someone new.
I can understand that POV. You have a much more reasonable approach than posters who want him fired because “he’s a bad coach” and “no sweet 16” appearances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT