ADVERTISEMENT

Murray twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want a recount regarding the success in Dr. Tom's later years. Iowa only was invited to the NCAA Tournament 3 times in his last 6 years. One year we went nowhere, twice we went to the NIT. One of those NIT years we lost in the first round. Yes, we always won our 1st round NCAA games but of note, Dr. Tom never beat a NCAA team that was seeded higher except once he beat a 9 seed as an eight seed, that was his only encounter with a higher seeded team in the first round, and he beat a 4th seed once as a 5 seed.

His end of career mediocrity is why he got let go...even with like you said, 50% tourney runs and a sweet 16. So again, why the love for Fran? He has done considerably less and we are going on year 10. Time to move on imo.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I heard Duke and Kentucky made eye contact with one of them.
kind of funny I chuckled given the ambiguous "interest" from majors reporting out there.

The best response to all this IMO is to wait and see. I think its reasonable to say that Fran made a gamble here. I guess you can criticize him for that but OTOH maybe it will pay off.

His end of career mediocrity is why he got let go...even with like you said, 50% tourney runs and a sweet 16. So again, why the love for Fran? He has done considerably less and we are going on year 10. Time to move on imo.
Last time Iowa "moved on", it went into a long period of decline that it is still trying to recover from. Beware of what you ask for.

We have a coach who is doing as well as or better than his 2 predecessors. His teams are fun to watch, and he recruits decent kids who play hard. His player retention has been relatively good. While I would love to see better recruiting and player development, I don't want to go through another period of crap like we saw from 1999 - 2010.

Last time Iowa "moved on", it went into a long period of decline that it is still trying to recover from. Beware of what you ask for.

We have a coach who is doing as well as or better than his 2 predecessors. His teams are fun to watch, and he recruits decent kids who play hard. His player retention has been relatively good. While I would love to see better recruiting and player development, I don't want to go through another period of crap like we saw from 1999 - 2010.

Well then, lets just sit hear and hope and pray we make the tourney as a 9 seed every year because we are afraid to make a move. Fran is a great coach for the 3-4 year rebuild. Not so great at taking that to the next level of consistent top 25 and tourneys and that is the truth. I am not OK with being mediocre to bad and recruiting players that have ZERO P5 offers all the time.

Reactions: David1979
kind of funny I chuckled given the ambiguous "interest" from majors reporting out there.

The best response to all this IMO is to wait and see. I think its reasonable to say that Fran made a gamble here. I guess you can criticize him for that but OTOH maybe it will pay off.

Yeah, I think it is a gamble and it is not a knock on the kids at all. I think it is very cool they get to play for their Dad's alma mater. I hope these two work out over the other two guys in the class because they will have it much harder than the other two. They will immediately be under the spotlight because of their name. Similar to being Fran's kids.

Reactions: nu2u
Well then, lets just sit hear and hope and pray we make the tourney as a 9 seed every year because we are afraid to make a move. Fran is a great coach for the 3-4 year rebuild. Not so great at taking that to the next level of consistent top 25 and tourneys and that is the truth. I am not OK with being mediocre to bad and recruiting players that have ZERO P5 offers all the time.

we have been in the top 25 pretty consistently

I think taking a flier on a couple kids is fine if you also have the other higher recruited kids in the same class. The problem with taking all projects is that if you miss you really create a big hole in the program which is what happened when they missed the tournament for 2 straight years.

Reactions: perryhawk
Ok, I will go find the facts.

Last year they were ranked for 13 weeks.
15-16 they were ranked 11 weeks
14-15 ranked 1 week
13-14 ranked ranked 15 weeks.

There are 20 weeks of rankings which includes preseason and final

Fran has had his team ranked 40 weeks out of 180 total weeks.
Don't expect an intelligent response back

' One thing seems obvious from the photos... They're NOT both 6'7" or 6"8".
They just got measured at their prep school. Keegan 6'7.5 (w/o shoes) and Kris (6'7). Keegan 6'11 wingspan and Kris 6'10. So the prep school that also does NBA Pre-Draft workouts through NBA world championship coach, Dan Panaggio is lying to them and me??

Yes but Dr Tom’s best years were with Raving’s recruits and there was a noticeable drop once they were gone.

Post-Raveling recruits, his resume isn’t even as strong as Fran’s. And I liked Dr. Tom. But that’s the truth.

Dr. Tom started with NBA players while Fran started with a roster that would struggle to win the 4A State Championship.

I feel that was Joey Range's fault not Toms
Kid was lazy and would not study & go to class from what I heard.
There's a lot more to that story. Short version is Bowlsby told Davis not to recruit Range because he had some legal issues in high school, but Tom did anyway. Which probably contributed to Bowlsby firing the doctor (please, no arguments about semantic fired/not rehired). When Alford came, it was made clear to him that Range was to be sent packing. Helluva talent. I have no idea what kind of person he was.

They just got measured at their prep school. Keegan 6'7.5 (w/o shoes) and Kris (6'7). Keegan 6'11 wingspan and Kris 6'10. So the prep school that also does NBA Pre-Draft workouts through NBA world championship coach, Dan Panaggio is lying to them and me??
Who gives a shit? I was commenting after looking at the photos of them standing together.

Don't be a bigger putz.
We're arguing because of their height? I made an observation off of a photo. Nothing more and nothing less.
Not a word about P5 offers/talent or anything else.

Maybe I'm not the putz here.

Why should anyone here care what you are not okay with?

Dr. Tom never beat a NCAA team that was seeded higher except once he beat a 9 seed as an eight seed, that was his only encounter with a higher seeded team in the first round, and he beat a 4th seed once as a 5 seed.

So he never beat a high seeded team except for the times he did beat a higher seeded team.

Makes sense.

There's a lot more to that story. Short version is Bowlsby told Davis not to recruit Range because he had some legal issues in high school, but Tom did anyway. Which probably contributed to Bowlsby firing the doctor (please, no arguments about semantic fired/not rehired). When Alford came, it was made clear to him that Range was to be sent packing. Helluva talent. I have no idea what kind of person he was.

https://www.galesburg.com/article/20160124/NEWS/160129853

I was thinking the same thing...could be a compliment or a slam...

Everyone always talks about the head coaches eye for talent, and I am sure they ultimately decide who gets an offer, but in most programs it is the assistants who have responsibility to have an eye for talent

I was glad when Bowlsby hit the road, also Hunter Rawlings.

What kind of schmo are you? My ref friend has been at it 30+ years and knows legit D1 basketball talent when he sees it, or not.

The ref who commented about Jack Campbell was not my friend. 1 ref spouts off about Campbell being better than PM and you throw all ref opinions under the bus? You should work for CNN or the DNC.
He's kind of right.

So what's your point? 34 % is not "great" by any standard or by any player. That is my point.
His point is that Joe kept working and when he got to Iowa and wasn't the focus of everyones defense he shot the ball very effectively from deep..

Who gives a shit? I was commenting after looking at the photos of them standing together.

Why do so many of you sound so angry/resentful?

James 4:1-2 “What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.” Be well and God Bless!

Last edited:
Your giving their dad crap. That is being a putz.

No worries. People are going to be judge mental and they have the right. I am humbled by the opportunity my boys have and grateful Fran sees a bright future for them. God is writing their story, not anyone on this board. God has blessed our family and the thanks always goes to the Most High!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT