ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU AA's Caliendo and Franek Announce Transfer to Iowa

This is a joke, right?
Absolutely not a joke.... Do you think it is taboo that a recruit may actually enter the portal and then contact the Iowa staff and inquire about coming here? Sometimes coaches reach out, sometimes recruits reach out. Remember a guy named Jayden Eierman? He initiated the conversation with Tom about coming to Iowa and has said as much many times..

Last edited:
Great gets. They will start the season ranked 2nd and 5th. No spot is safe. COBE and PK will have every opportunity to win the spot and wrestle in March. I see this only as a good thing.

I just can't imagine it is this straightforward but I appreciate the sentiment.

Reactions: hawkeyeray
Which part? Ranking or taking spot on team?
I guess we could bump Caliendo to 74 this year, and bump up the next 2 weights, but the following year we have Gabe at 174, and Angelo at 184, although he could redshirt if needed. But if he doesn’t, then Kennedy or Caliendo will be sitting their last 2 years. Kennedy still had his 1 portal transfer to use, so he would leave, maybe back to Minnesota. If Caliendo loses, he’s screwed since he already used portal. I doubt either could cut to 49.

I guess we could bump Caliendo to 74 this year, and bump up the next 2 weights, but the following year we have Gabe at 174, and Angelo at 184, although he could redshirt if needed. But if he doesn’t, then Kennedy or Caliendo will be sitting their last 2 years. Kennedy still had his 1 portal transfer to use, so he would leave, maybe back to Minnesota. If Caliendo loses, he’s screwed since he already used portal. I doubt either could cut to 49.
Penn State doesn't go over scenarios about guys not fitting in the lineup and their subsequent transfer destinations. And really other than Beard they haven't had anyone they could use go elsewhere.

Penn State doesn't go over scenarios about guys not fitting in the lineup and their subsequent transfer destinations. And really other than Beard they haven't had anyone they could use go elsewhere.

Good for them.

Iowa isn’t Penn State. No one is.

We still don't have a '33 or '97 and it doesn't look like we are going to get someone to fill those weights. Hard to get too pumped for a team with two black holes in the lineup.
Dumb comment is dumb.

PSU was pretty good last year with black holes at 25 and 65.

Reactions: savage84
We better figure out how to be more like them if we want to be relevant. I'm not at the head of the line to give Brands credit for his planning but I would have to think some thought is behind the moves.

Like you, I think there’s some thought and it will reveal itself. But Iowa isn’t in the same situation as PSU so that comparison falls a little flat. It falls even more flat when you don’t consider Iowa relevant. Lol

Reactions: BGon4ND
Like you, I think there’s some thought and it will reveal itself. But Iowa isn’t in the same situation as PSU so that comparison falls a little flat. It falls even more flat when you don’t consider Iowa relevant. Lol
The relevant I am talking about is being an actual threat to win team titles on a consistent basis moving forward. We have work to do in order to say that. Sure we are relevant as one of the best if not the best team in college wrestling not named PSU.

The starting spots on the team. I just have to believe there’s a departure, weight change (multiple?), or season/career long suspension factoring in to the lineup from 157-184 because otherwise none of this computes to me.
Did we AA at their respective weights last season?

Did we AA at their respective weights last season?
No but I don’t know why you’re asking me this. All other things held equal, Franek makes a lot of sense. Caliendo, less so. And it isn’t that it isn’t possible to upgrade over Kennedy, but more about what his motivation would be for coming. He will be in a dog fight for 165 as him and Kennedy are a coin flip. Is one moving up? Is Nelson? Are there major suspensions coming? One has to wonder because at face value it doesn’t pass the sniff test.

No but I don’t know why you’re asking me this. All other things held equal, Franek makes a lot of sense. Caliendo, less so. And it isn’t that it isn’t possible to upgrade over Kennedy, but more about what his motivation would be for coming. He will be in a dog fight for 165 as him and Kennedy are a coin flip. Is one moving up? Is Nelson? Are there major suspensions coming? One has to wonder because at face value it doesn’t pass the sniff test.
Agree with this. Any chance Caliendo or Kennedy could cut to 157 next year? I didn’t think so, but is it possible? Kind of the only way it makes total sense with Arnold slotted for 174 (and Ferrari for 184). I don’t see any of these 3 not having a starting spot, and I would hate for any of them to transfer. I have a feeling we are going to lose Kennedy and/or Brands for a while due to gambling this year, so it probably makes sense this year (and maybe the next if Arnold takes a redshirt).

Maybe this:
24-25
165 Caliendo/Kennedy
174 Caliendo/Kennedy
Arnold RS

25/26
165/174 - Caliendo/Kennedy
184 - Arnold
Ferrari RS

26/27
174 - Arnold
184 - Ferrari

Reactions: Mendoza77
It sounds like Caliendo has his bone fides. And there may be more to it. But we most always like our guy…

I see some of you suggesting brands and Assad bump……do you think they’d do much at those upper weights? Brands maybe but I think Assad would struggle a bit at 97

It sounds like Caliendo has his bone fides. And there may be more to it. But we most always like our guy…

I have no idea what this means. Lol

I see some of you suggesting brands and Assad bump……do you think they’d do much at those upper weights? Brands maybe but I think Assad would struggle a bit at 97

I don’t think anyone sees it as optimal for either guy but perhaps it is optimal for the team.

But that seems like the most complex answer to our questions. In these cases the answer is usually much more simple.

Reactions: natchrlman

this is not intended to be an insult but assad hasn’t produced many points at 184 either. i think he’s a dang good wrestler but that is just a fact.

Reactions: USPMAN
The line up I'd like to see during the next three years. Bolded names are potential finalists.

2023-24
125 - Ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Brands (or, Kennedy at 165 and Caliendo at 174)
184 - Assad
197 - Franklin
285 - Cassioppi

2023-25
125 - Cruz
133 - Ayala
141 - Block
149 - Voinovich
157 - Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Ferrari
197 - Franklin
285 - Kueter

2025-26
125 - Cruz
133 - Ayala
141 - Block
149 - Voinovich
157 - Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Ferrari
197 - Franklin
285 - Kueter

Following are some caveats/comments:

125 - Would like to see Ayala put on muscle weight and move to 133. We need to sign studs at 125 and 133 (for when Ayala graduates) -- it shouldn't be too hard considering our reputation with lightweights.

141 - Hoping that Block develops into a strong AA type - learn some offense from Woods & Eierman.

149 - I have no idea what we'll see from Voinovich. If he and/or Block aren't able to AA quickly, then we need to look to HS recruits or the portal for someone who will.

157 - Hope Anthony can perform like his brothers. As with all weights, if you don't perform (AA level), then the weight is open to others.

165 - I know a lot of fans love Kennedy, but I'd rather go with Caliendo. If Kennedy can earn the spot, then great - if not, he's great depth in case of injury at 157/165.

174 - I'm sold on Arnold! Think he has multiple finalist potential. Sounds like this is his optimal weight.

184 - Seems like the youngest Ferrari is the real deal, and mulitple finalist with potential for multiple champ. I just hope that the Ferrari brothers don't leave after a year or two, like they've done in high school.

197 - Not sure Franklin will develop into an AA level wrestler. If he can, then great, but probably need to be looking for a HS recruit or the portal. I have ZERO desire to ever see the oldest Ferrari here, even if he won multiple titles as a Hawk.

285 - This is a tough situation. I get the strong feeling that Kueter will soon focus on primarily football. Even if he continues to wrestle, he won't truly excel at the sport (football or wrestling) where he spends less time. Hope there's a contingency plan for this weight. IF Kueter devotes most of his time to wrestling, I expect him to be dominant and a finalist every year.

** We'll have solid backups in Rathjen, Riggins, Griffiths, Petersen, Schriever, Hill, etc.
** Will Iowa continue to recruit studs at 125 and 133?
** Will Block and Voinovich quickly develop?
** What will happen at 197 and especially 285?
** More top 10 PFP HS recruits needed!!!! And continued outstanding portal transfers.

The line up I'd like to see during the next three years. Bolded names are potential finalists.

2023-24
125 - Ayala
133 - Teske
141 - Woods
149 - Voinovich
157 - Franek
165 - Caliendo
174 - Brands (or, Kennedy at 165 and Caliendo at 174)
184 - Assad
197 - Franklin
285 - Cassioppi

2023-25
125 - Cruz
133 - Ayala
141 - Block
149 - Voinovich
157 - Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Ferrari
197 - Franklin
285 - Kueter

2025-26
125 - Cruz
133 - Ayala
141 - Block
149 - Voinovich
157 - Ferrari
165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Ferrari
197 - Franklin
285 - Kueter

Following are some caveats/comments:

125 - Would like to see Ayala put on muscle weight and move to 133. We need to sign studs at 125 and 133 (for when Ayala graduates) -- it shouldn't be too hard considering our reputation with lightweights.

141 - Hoping that Block develops into a strong AA type - learn some offense from Woods & Eierman.

149 - I have no idea what we'll see from Voinovich. If he and/or Block aren't able to AA quickly, then we need to look to HS recruits or the portal for someone who will.

157 - Hope Anthony can perform like his brothers. As with all weights, if you don't perform (AA level), then the weight is open to others.

165 - I know a lot of fans love Kennedy, but I'd rather go with Caliendo. If Kennedy can earn the spot, then great - if not, he's great depth in case of injury at 157/165.

174 - I'm sold on Arnold! Think he has multiple finalist potential. Sounds like this is his optimal weight.

184 - Seems like the youngest Ferrari is the real deal, and mulitple finalist with potential for multiple champ. I just hope that the Ferrari brothers don't leave after a year or two, like they've done in high school.

197 - Not sure Franklin will develop into an AA level wrestler. If he can, then great, but probably need to be looking for a HS recruit or the portal. I have ZERO desire to ever see the oldest Ferrari here, even if he won multiple titles as a Hawk.

285 - This is a tough situation. I get the strong feeling that Kueter will soon focus on primarily football. Even if he continues to wrestle, he won't truly excel at the sport (football or wrestling) where he spends less time. Hope there's a contingency plan for this weight. IF Kueter devotes most of his time to wrestling, I expect him to be dominant and a finalist every year.

** We'll have solid backups in Rathjen, Riggins, Griffiths, Petersen, Schriever, Hill, etc.
** Will Iowa continue to recruit studs at 125 and 133?
** Will Block and Voinovich quickly develop?
** What will happen at 197 and especially 285?
** More top 10 PFP HS recruits needed!!!! And continued outstanding portal transfers.
I am still holding out hope out 197 pounder for this upcoming year is not yet on the roster.

I'm wondering if Nelson could be part of the gambling probe. Maybe if so, he won't be coming back?? Totally thinking out loud here as I know nothing.

Reactions: zoe22
TnT likely know who the gambling casualties are.

The two kids from NDSU are here for a reason.

Read between the lines.
Thank you! A returning All-American with 1 year left, doesn’t transfer to fight for a starting spot. Signs point to PK being one of the guys caught in the gambling issue IMO.

1-2 BBQ at NCAAs? Yeah that was a black hole...

The guy is a top 10 overall recruit in a nasty weight class who missed some time with injury. He wasn't the usual PSU superstar but not a black hole like their 125 was. Kennedy had pretty similar results as their 165.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT