ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska The Leader For Henrich?

Honest question for the Nebraska fans, why do automatically believe Scott Frost is better than mike Riley?? He could be worse, he could be horrible, he may have inherited special talent at UCF that wasn’t going to lose, when Kirk came to Iowa people where optimistic but nobody was saying we are going to be a 3 straight top ten finisher. We couldn’t see the future in which Kirk brought us.. and you can’t about frost don’t run your mouth about things you don’t know

Honest question for the Nebraska fans, why do automatically believe Scott Frost is better than mike Riley?? He could be worse, he could be horrible, he may have inherited special talent at UCF that wasn’t going to lose, when Kirk came to Iowa people where optimistic but nobody was saying we are going to be a 3 straight top ten finisher. We couldn’t see the future in which Kirk brought us.. and you can’t about frost don’t run your mouth about things you don’t know
Who knows what Frost will end up doing. He inherited a special team full of talent that didn’t win a game the year before he got there. He turned the roster over and in year two went undefeated with many freshman and sophomore kids playing. Beating Auburn in the Cotton Bowl was more than Riley did in his entire career.

Who knows what Frost will end up doing. He inherited a special team full of talent that didn’t win a game the year before he got there. He turned the roster over and in year two went undefeated with many freshman and sophomore kids playing. Beating Auburn in the Cotton Bowl was more than Riley did in his entire career.
Wasn’t that stud linebacker with one hand a senior, 15 upper classman on the 2 deeps, 15 freshman, 10 on offense, 4 at wrs.. dude you made a lot up right there

Wasn’t that stud linebacker with one hand a senior, 15 upper classman on the 2 deeps, 15 freshman, 10 on offense, 4 at wrs.. dude you made a lot up right there
Yeah, I looked that up too and laughed. It was a veteran team of Seniors and Juniors except at WR and QB.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
f01.gif

UCF went 12-1 two years before Frost got there. Beat a top 10 Baylor team in the bowl game. Beat Penn State @ Penn State. Lost a close game to South Carolina who won 11 games. It’s been done before down there. Frost isn’t anything overly special.

So half the two deep being freshman wouldn’t be considered “many freshman and sophomores contributing?” I don’t want to spend the time looking up and down the CF roster. Since you are so in depth, were any of the upperclassmen jucos or transfers?

UCF went 12-1 two years before Frost got there. Beat a top 10 Baylor team in the bowl game. Beat Penn State @ Penn State. Lost a close game to South Carolina who won 11 games. It’s been done before down there. Frost isn’t anything overly special.
Frost may win one game or two hundred. Nobody knows. I can tell you he was the coach of the year and was offered the Florida job.

I can completely understand why husker fans are excited. Young guy with results. We would be drinking the same koolaid. We did with Alford. Regardless, I like where Iowa is right now. I'm happy with Iowa right now. Big ten is better when Nebraska is pulling it's weight

Bullshit. That would be like a Nebraska wrestling fan not wanting to have Iowa's tradition.

Uhhh......no.

Nebraska football is not the equivalent of Iowa wrestling. Iowa wrestling is equivalent of somewhere between Ohio St and USC football, depending on the timeframe used. Nebraska football is the equivalent of IOWA STATE wrestling. Are you jealous of Iowa State wrestling? Didn't think so. Hence, Iowa fans have no reason to be jealous of Nebraska football.

Funny thing is that I would equate Iowa football to Nebraska wrestling. Solid most years, down every once in a while, sometimes has a super team (and a heck of a lot better than Iowa St as of late).

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants

What the UCF 0-11 team tell me is that you can have all the talent in the world. If a staff can’t connect, or motivate the team, the wheels can fall off pretty quickly. Not sure what happened with O’Leary this particular year.

I believe there is some talent on this NU team (and I am not saying NU will win the division any time soon), and my hope is that this staff can motivate this team to play at a higher level.

Fact Nebraska is 3-4 and has a losing record to lowly Iowa since joining the Big 10. Yes we are so envious...... Now if Nebraska was still Nebraska of the 90s then yeah it be something to envy like the Ohio St program now. But those days are long, long gone so no Iowa isn't envious of a school they just beat by 42 on the road the last time they played and a school that has gone 14 straight years with at least 4 losses.
In recent history, I agree, Iowa has nothing to envy Nebraska about.

I find it interesting how, when people want to clown Nebraska for firing a 9-win coach, they refer to the minimum number of wins Pelini had in every season he coached. But when they want the number of losses in those 9 and 10 win seasons to better suit their narrative, they go with "no fewer than 4 losses".

Honestly, I think the number of losses is a better statistic than the number of wins, because half those wins are against nobodies. I agree with you, Nebraska hasn't consistently been impressive. And I'm not calling you out. I'm calling out the people who spin the 9+ win season thing when Pelini comes up. I just wanted to point it out because I've seen it be spun both ways when it fits the narrative.

My reason for optimism is that we are seeing his approach to the game and to the program, and it's significantly different than Mike Riley's was. I like Riley, and I hoped he would succeed. I think he did some good things, but his teams were soft mentally and physically. Frost's statements could be all talk, but part of building the culture means you have to reinforce on a daily basis what you value. He seems to value toughness, grit, physical play, family, dedication to the craft, and understanding what the Huskers mean to the state of Nebraska and all of its fans. I think I see this and, at least initially, believe he is going to be alright. I think he cares too much and has proven he can motivate and train players to lose for very long.

It all could be wrong, and we will not know for sure until he coaches at Nebraska, but I don't think you go undefeated by accident, regardless of what he inherited. It's extremely difficult to do that in football, and it takes performing at a very high level on a consistent basis. I think his ability to get teams to perform consistently during a season is what excites most Husker fans.

He also does have some pretty solid experience as a play caller and building his offensive system under coach Kelly at Oregon. So its not like he came out of nowhere two years ago. I'm actually really glad he stopped at UCF before coming to Nebraska. It gave him more time to prepare professionally for this opportunity.

Uhhh......no.

Nebraska football is not the equivalent of Iowa wrestling. Iowa wrestling is equivalent of somewhere between Ohio St and USC football, depending on the timeframe used. Nebraska football is the equivalent of IOWA STATE wrestling. Are you jealous of Iowa State wrestling? Didn't think so. Hence, Iowa fans have no reason to be jealous of Nebraska football.

Funny thing is that I would equate Iowa football to Nebraska wrestling. Solid most years, down every once in a while, sometimes has a super team (and a heck of a lot better than Iowa St as of late).
What do you mean, depending on the time frame used? Depending on time frame used for Nebraska, you could certainly equate its dominance to Iowa wrestling.

IMO, USC fits the description of what you equate to Iowa football pretty accurately.

I can completely understand why husker fans are excited. Young guy with results. We would be drinking the same koolaid. We did with Alford. Regardless, I like where Iowa is right now. I'm happy with Iowa right now. Big ten is better when Nebraska is pulling it's weight
Iowa is in a good place right now. Very solid program, tough, nobody looks forward to playing them. Seem to struggle with some strange teams, but also play well at important times, especially at home (when not hosting NDSU).

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Iowa is in a good place right now. Very solid program, tough, nobody looks forward to playing them. Seem to struggle with some strange teams, but also play well at important times, especially at home (when not hosting NDSU).

Agree. Also, I don’t know many teams outside of Bama and UGA that wouldn’t struggle with NDSU. NDSU would probably make it a game.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
What do you mean, depending on the time frame used? Depending on time frame used for Nebraska, you could certainly equate its dominance to Iowa wrestling.

IMO, USC fits the description of what you equate to Iowa football pretty accurately.

LOL. Sorry, I guess I'm not an expert on Nebraska football history. Who knew that they had the 2nd most national championships of all time, record number of consecutive championships, and the most national championships in anyone's lifetime who is between the age of 22 and 78.

If it weren't for Penn St wrestling's recent run, Iowa wrestling would clearly be Alabama football, but a little difficult to equate them now. Notre Dame might be a decent comparison, but 30-year title drought is way longer than Iowa wrestling has been less than dominant. That's why I used Ohio St or USC; Oklahoma might also work.

If you can come up with a better wrestling equivalent to Neb football, I'd like to hear it. Just don't say Iowa; that's too funny.

Ok, just keep telling yourself that....LOL!!

In recent history, I agree, Iowa has nothing to envy Nebraska about.

I find it interesting how, when people want to clown Nebraska for firing a 9-win coach, they refer to the minimum number of wins Pelini had in every season he coached. But when they want the number of losses in those 9 and 10 win seasons to better suit their narrative, they go with "no fewer than 4 losses".

Honestly, I think the number of losses is a better statistic than the number of wins, because half those wins are against nobodies. I agree with you, Nebraska hasn't consistently been impressive. And I'm not calling you out. I'm calling out the people who spin the 9+ win season thing when Pelini comes up. I just wanted to point it out because I've seen it be spun both ways when it fits the narrative.

I understand your points and logic and actually applaud you for not making it in a trolling manner. My reply to the one poster with the losses is stating the fact that I'm sure has driven Husker fans crazy is that they haven't had that top 10 season in a while with 1-2 losses and keep getting 4 losses or more. Good seasons you point but not enough to satisfy good # of your fans. To the point I was stating to one poster about being envious of Nebraska that yes you have a great history but before Riley they were pretty good but never had that elite team with a top 10 finish under Pelini or basically since end of Solich's tenure.

A writer in an article I read last year for I believe an Omaha based paper that was linked here summed it up perfectly. Nebraska and Iowa have been lot closer looking back on last 10-15 years or if you go back to when they joined the Big 10 than most people on either side want to think or believe. Iowa has had more higher highs but lower lows and Huskers as you stated had those more consistent years like during Pelini's era and Riley's 2nd year. Which gets to my final point is why lot of fans here can't stand some of the arrogance Husker fans post here about how much elite and how "envious" we are and better than Iowa's program. Tired of hearing the same old history lesson of the 90s which yeah no one is saying in 20th century nebraska wasn't better and if you want to celebrate do it on your own board but no one on an Iowa or any other fan bases board care to hear. It's like listening to the former HS star athlete bragging about his glory days 20 years later at the local town bar but is now a loser and hasn't done much with his life since and still stuck in the past holding on to those old memories talking to people about it how don't give a damn about it anymore.

What the UCF 0-11 team tell me is that you can have all the talent in the world. If a staff can’t connect, or motivate the team, the wheels can fall off pretty quickly. Not sure what happened with O’Leary this particular year.

I believe there is some talent on this NU team (and I am not saying NU will win the division any time soon), and my hope is that this staff can motivate this team to play at a higher level.
Completely agree. There are plenty examples from Riley to Brady Hoke. My point was simply that Frost did what had been done previously at UCF. It wasn’t like he took a perennial loser like ISU and started winning games.

Without looking at rosters, I’d venture to guess UCF was upperclass heavy in 2013. Then had turnover for those horrible seasons. Then the upperclassmen filled back in. You gotta remember that Frost didn’t hardly recruit the team that won 13 games last year.

So far I haven’t found a reason to dislike Frost. He seems in the same mold as Kirk and has integrity. I just have to chuckle at the Husker board and fans thinking they are gonna be Ohio State consistently in the next couple of years. He needs to strike recruiting while the iron is hot with his undefeated 2017 season. If Nebraska goes 6-6 this year, that shine starts to wear off.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Completely agree. There are plenty examples from Riley to Brady Hoke. My point was simply that Frost did what had been done previously at UCF. It wasn’t like he took a perennial loser like ISU and started winning games.

Without looking at rosters, I’d venture to guess UCF was upperclass heavy in 2013. Then had turnover for those horrible seasons. Then the upperclassmen filled back in. You gotta remember that Frost didn’t hardly recruit the team that won 13 games last year.

So far I haven’t found a reason to dislike Frost. He seems in the same mold as Kirk and has integrity. I just have to chuckle at the Husker board and fans thinking they are gonna be Ohio State consistently in the next couple of years. He needs to strike recruiting while the iron is hot with his undefeated 2017 season. If Nebraska goes 6-6 this year, that shine starts to wear off.

Goodness, after last year I may cry tears of happiness with Bowl eligibility.

I have a cure. Find another team to root for if you have "Ferentz fatigue". If you feel back to back B1G titles are the only cure my diagnosis is you may be suffering from it for a long time and the Hawkeye fan base will be better off without you because it is contagious to those with low IQ.
Did you ever think that maybe it is the fans like you and your "shucks we're poor little ol' Iowa" mantra that is the real problem? Just asking.

Goodness, after last year I may cry tears of happiness with Bowl eligibility.

Really, not everyone of us Nebraska fans think we’re going to have a 9 or 10 win season..

We realize how difficult our schedule is and will take a year maybe two to get the strength and conditioning up to speed with what the staff wants to accomplish...

Too many Iowa fans think that if Nebraska only wins 6 games the first year that Frost will be a bust and he won’t do anything in the near future.

Not hardly.

Really, not everyone of us Nebraska fans think we’re going to have a 9 or 10 win season..

We realize how difficult our schedule is and will take a year maybe two to get the strength and conditioning up to speed with what the staff wants to accomplish...

Too many Iowa fans think that if Nebraska only wins 6 games the first year that Frost will be a bust and he won’t do anything in the near future.

Not hardly.

Agree completely. After the team I watched last year I’ll be ecstatic with a 6 win season.

If Nebraska goes 6-6 this year, that shine starts to wear off.

This is so true. Every summer you hear a ton about the new hire. Last summer we heard a ton about Herman at Texas and the boat rower up north. This summer not so much. Even the 24/7 love fest ESPN had for Harbaugh has started to wear off some. Frost, Chip Kelly are 2 we will hear a lot about leading up to the start of the season. Next summer be someone else. One of the times a coach is at his most popular and appealing is that time post hire up until that first game when not much to pick him apart for.

This is so true. Every summer you hear a ton about the new hire. Last summer we heard a ton about Herman at Texas and the boat rower up north. This summer not so much. Even the 24/7 love fest ESPN had for Harbaugh has started to wear off some. Frost, Chip Kelly are 2 we will hear a lot about leading up to the start of the season. Next summer be someone else. One of the times a coach is at his most popular and appealing is that time post hire up until that first game when not much to pick him apart for.

Last year Tom Herman went 7-6 at Texas after being the Head Coach at Houston.. I don’t think the shine wore off in Austin, they realize it takes more than a year for the program to get on it’s feet again and should be one of the top teams in the Big 12 this season, even though I hope they lose every game.:D

I agree with you that next summer, unless Nebraska overachieves, they won't be the talk of the upcoming season. Although, given Scott Frost's history, that's the year he wins conference championships and goes undefeated. So next year, I think it's fair to expect 12-0 ;) I think 6-6 will probably be accepted by Husker fans...IF its done in a fashion that shows Nebraska is improving and competing in games. Coaches can work with a "competitive 6-6" when recruiting. If anything, they can show the impact of culture change while also showing a talent void that kids their recruiting can come in a fill.

If we look like we did all of last year, it will be bad. A repeat of last year is unacceptable regardless of what Frost is working with.

With the JUCO guys he has brought in, and without injuries to the OL, they should be able to get to 6 wins. Tough schedule though.
When you're probably going to be needing production and a full season of health from your true freshman QB, you're playing on a razor thin margin. An injury could be the difference between a 6 win and a 4 win season, as bad as both of those sound.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT