ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska The Leader For Henrich?

Last year Tom Herman went 7-6 at Texas after being the Head Coach at Houston.. I don’t think the shine wore off in Austin, they realize it takes more than a year for the program to get on it’s feet again and should be one of the top teams in the Big 12 this season, even though I hope they lose every game.:D
We realize the shine wouldn’t wear off in Lincoln. We mean momentum with national recruits. That’s been Kirk’s biggest problem. Has one great season, followed by an uptick in recruiting. Then the disappointing seasons happen and the momentum falls.

We realize the shine wouldn’t wear off in Lincoln. We mean momentum with national recruits. That’s been Kirk’s biggest problem. Has one great season, followed by an uptick in recruiting. Then the disappointing seasons happen and the momentum falls.

My point is Texas went 7-6 and ended up with a top 4 class .... Not saying SF will end up with class that high, this staff will continue to recruit hard unlike Pelini staff.

Did you ever think that maybe it is the fans like you and your "shucks we're poor little ol' Iowa" mantra that is the real problem? Just asking.

What makes you think I have a "shucks we're just little ol' Iowa"? I think iowa has a lot to sell. Heck, I passed up other DI scholarship offers to walk on at Iowa and don't regret it to this day. It was a great fit for me. That said, I realize not every HS athlete is like me dreaming of playing for the Hawks. I'm realistic that while the football program has A LOT to sell, there are some obstacles outside of the football program (like athletic housing just to name one) where Iowa is WAY behind.

Reactions: K OKeefe
What makes you think I have a "shucks we're just little ol' Iowa"? I think iowa has a lot to sell. Heck, I passed up other DI scholarship offers to walk on at Iowa and don't regret it to this day. It was a great fit for me. That said, I realize not every HS athlete is like me dreaming of playing for the Hawks. I'm realistic that while the football program has A LOT to sell, there are some obstacles outside of the football program (like athletic housing just to name one) where Iowa is WAY behind.
Ever heard Kirk talk to the media during the 2015 season? Not to say he necessarily thinks it, but sometimes we want him to come out and say “hey, we are building something special here at Iowa. It doesn’t get any better than being a Hawk.” Etc.

Last year Tom Herman went 7-6 at Texas after being the Head Coach at Houston.. I don’t think the shine wore off in Austin, they realize it takes more than a year for the program to get on it’s feet again and should be one of the top teams in the Big 12 this season, even though I hope they lose every game.:D

True. Just like Strong everyone will have texas top 25. They need to figure out qb haven't had one since McCoy and if want to get back to being good need to find one out of the batch they have.. Think Herman is a good coach and better than Strong. Funny thing when he left for Ohio St OC job was at ISU as the OC and lot of clone fans were saying he wasn't that great and no big loss.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
I agree with you that next summer, unless Nebraska overachieves, they won't be the talk of the upcoming season. Although, given Scott Frost's history, that's the year he wins conference championships and goes undefeated. So next year, I think it's fair to expect 12-0 ;) I think 6-6 will probably be accepted by Husker fans...IF its done in a fashion that shows Nebraska is improving and competing in games. Coaches can work with a "competitive 6-6" when recruiting. If anything, they can show the impact of culture change while also showing a talent void that kids their recruiting can come in a fill.

If we look like we did all of last year, it will be bad. A repeat of last year is unacceptable regardless of what Frost is working with.

I agree with their schedule a record like that and how they play with top teams on road will show how well the team will be. Guess should have clarified national media won't give out as much kudos come this time next year. Both Minny and Nebraska are in a precarious situation with a true and RS freshman 1-2 for qb depth. How they fair and progress will be big key next season and 19'. That's one reason I see Fleck struggling more in the West next couple of seasons just think they don't have as much talent there compared to guys Huskers have. They whiffed big time on their JUCO this spring who is gone already.

I get that because of your response to the poster who felt like he was getting "Kirk Ferentz fatigue." People are entitled to not be content with Kirk Ferentz brand of football. Your response was typical to those that feel Iowa can be what Wisconsin is, "I have a cure. Find another team to root for if you have "Ferentz fatigue". I have found those types of responses are often made to those who want more out of Iowa football. If I was wrong about your sentiments then I apologize.

Honest question for the Nebraska fans, why do automatically believe Scott Frost is better than mike Riley?? He could be worse, he could be horrible, he may have inherited special talent at UCF that wasn’t going to lose, when Kirk came to Iowa people where optimistic but nobody was saying we are going to be a 3 straight top ten finisher. We couldn’t see the future in which Kirk brought us.. and you can’t about frost don’t run your mouth about things you don’t know
Fair question.

You already know about the awards Frost received, the accolades, and national recognition this offseason. However, it's hard to see how Frost is or could be worse that Riley and his staff. I find it silly to think a 0-12 UCF team had "special talent". Teams with that kind of talent don't go 0-12. I'm sure there was talent, but not 13-0 talent without being coached up. Lets not forget a likely primary reason for such a great season as UCF was their QB, Milton who Frost recruited as a low 3* out of HI. Frost helped turn that kid into a Heisman finalist as a true Soph. He also brought in CB Mike Hughes in 2017 and has a offensive scheme that dominated in 2017. That is all on Frost, not the previous coaching staff at UCF. The previous coaching staff resulted in a 0-12 season and a crap culture. Frost fixed that culture in 2 seasons. He deserves a huge amount of credit for that.

Probably the most impressive thing about Frost is he QB development (most important position on the field). In 3 of the last 4 years Frost's QBs have been ranked in the top 2 of passer efficiency - Mariota (2014), Vernon Adams (2015), and Milton (2017). Now at NU he'll have Gebbia, Martinez, and McCaffrey. A nice group to move forward with.

The biggest change, and you can see the results now, is the strength training. It was crap under Riley. Frost and SC Duval demand results and are getting them. That will show up on the lines and will only get better in the coming years. I'm not saying NU will be Wisc or even Iowa on the OL, but they'll be much better soon and with that offense they run they'll put up a lot of points. The D will be aggressive and create turnovers. The D will take longer to get the right pieces in place as NU is thin at CB and edge rushers, but Frost and his staff can recruit and have shown they can develope guys to get to the QB and create turnovers. UCF was really good at that.

All of that said, no one knows, but if you look at past trends as future predictors it's hard not to get excited and see how much better Frost should be than Riley.

Last edited:
If Nebraska goes 6-6 this year, that shine starts to wear off.

This is so true. Every summer you hear a ton about the new hire. Last summer we heard a ton about Herman at Texas and the boat rower up north. This summer not so much. Even the 24/7 love fest ESPN had for Harbaugh has started to wear off some. Frost, Chip Kelly are 2 we will hear a lot about leading up to the start of the season. Next summer be someone else. One of the times a coach is at his most popular and appealing is that time post hire up until that first game when not much to pick him apart for.
Disagree. If NU goes 6-6 after a terrible 4-8 season people will still talk about NU. They compare it to what he did at UCF when he took a 0-12 team to 6-7 and then 13-0.

What is most important is NU shows improvement and doesn't get blown out of a bunch of games against average teams like Minn or Iowa. If they can stay competitive against the top teams and pull out one upset they'll continue momentum into 2019. Smart people get that it takes more than 1 year to turn around a team when you have a new staff, new schemes, and a freshman QB starting year 1. Texas and Herman are a good example of a team going around .500 and still having buzz the next season. I'd guess NU will have more buzz going into 2019 after a 6-6 season as expectation will be rising and people will be interested to see if Frost can do something similar to what he did at UCF.

I believe recruiting is the prowess in the Henrich story. I'm not sure he is the caliber Nebraska is looking for in a linebacker (certainly better than the last few years but not a future dominance). Whoever wins the recruiting battle becomes "king of the Midwest mountain" and I believe that's what its about.

LOL. Sorry, I guess I'm not an expert on Nebraska football history. Who knew that they had the 2nd most national championships of all time, record number of consecutive championships, and the most national championships in anyone's lifetime who is between the age of 22 and 78.

If it weren't for Penn St wrestling's recent run, Iowa wrestling would clearly be Alabama football, but a little difficult to equate them now. Notre Dame might be a decent comparison, but 30-year title drought is way longer than Iowa wrestling has been less than dominant. That's why I used Ohio St or USC; Oklahoma might also work.

If you can come up with a better wrestling equivalent to Neb football, I'd like to hear it. Just don't say Iowa; that's too funny.
Alabama is a Blue Blood, without a doubt. Probably the best team, historically.

But don’t let their claim of all of those mythical national championships fool you. If Nebraska decided to lay claim to a national championship every time they lost less than 2 games like Bama likes to do, then things would look very differently in that area. gbr

Alabama is a Blue Blood, without a doubt. Probably the best team, historically.

But don’t let their claim of all of those mythical national championships fool you. If Nebraska decided to lay claim to a national championship every time they lost less than 2 games like Bama likes to do, then things would look very differently in that area. gbr

No need to have a p*ssing contest about this, but 'Bama has 12 consensus championships since the NCAA established that standard in 1950, by far the most. They only claim 5 other championships - all prior to 1950; 4 were undefeated seasons, only 1 is a highly questionable 2-loss season. Like Nebraska, reasonable 'Bama fans don't recognize numerous post-1950 non-consensus championships.

Disagree. If NU goes 6-6 after a terrible 4-8 season people will still talk about NU. They compare it to what he did at UCF when he took a 0-12 team to 6-7 and then 13-0.

What is most important is NU shows improvement and doesn't get blown out of a bunch of games against average teams like Minn or Iowa. If they can stay competitive against the top teams and pull out one upset they'll continue momentum into 2019. Smart people get that it takes more than 1 year to turn around a team when you have a new staff, new schemes, and a freshman QB starting year 1. Texas and Herman are a good example of a team going around .500 and still having buzz the next season. I'd guess NU will have more buzz going into 2019 after a 6-6 season as expectation will be rising and people will be interested to see if Frost can do something similar to what he did at UCF.
and if they go 4-8?

and if they go 4-8?
Then they go 4-8. If they go 4-8 in yr 3 then it's a concern. Not in yr 1. That said I think 6 wins is very reasonable. Also, depends how those losses look. Were they close or blowouts?

What is iowa goes 4-8? Do you call for Ferentz job or give him another 10 yrs on his contract?

Reasonable people know Frost is an upgrade over Riley. Not that I expect iowa fans to be reasonable regarding NU.

Reactions: wkato
Then they go 4-8. If they go 4-8 in yr 3 then it's a concern. Not in yr 1. That said I think 6 wins is very reasonable. Also, depends how those losses look. Were they close or blowouts?

What is iowa goes 4-8? Do you call for Ferentz job or give him another 10 yrs on his contract?

Reasonable people know Frost is an upgrade over Riley. Not that I expect iowa fans to be reasonable regarding NU.
I think it's reasonable to assume frost will have his huskers fighting instead of laying down like rileys...that alone will translate to closer games and wins

This is so NOT true. 98% of Husker fans(yes, I did a poll) understand that it will be a process, and a 6-6 year and a bowl game would be a very good start to his tenure. Quit making shit up. gbr
I don’t buy your 98%. There are quite a few fans on the Husker board expecting 8+ wins. I doubt those people with consider 6-6 a “very good” start.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I don’t buy your 98%. There are quite a few fans on the Husker board expecting 8+ wins. I doubt those people with consider 6-6 a “very good” start.
I'd agree there are a contingent of fans expecting better than 6-6. They're deep in the kool-aid. However, the majority, maybe 80% + are realistic that it's take some time. Eight wins with one of the hardest schedules in the nation will be tough, but not impossible. I'm expecting anywhere from 5-7 wins.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
I'd agree there are a contingent of fans expecting better than 6-6. They're deep in the kool-aid. However, the majority, maybe 80% + are realistic that it's take some time. Eight wins with one of the hardest schedules in the nation will be tough, but not impossible. I'm expecting anywhere from 5-7 wins.
The real question is what are the expectations for year two. Many of your fans expect a year two UCF type result. That won't happen. I realistically see Iowa as a 10-11 win team in 2019. Just too much NFL talent not to be.

I'd say 6 wins to credit Nebraska and that's if he's maxing out his talent on both sides of the ball.

Frost will be doing very well if his tenure in the B1G approaches that of Iowa in terms of w/l record.

Consistent division titles or conference championships are unlikely.

Frost is simply outgunned compared to other B1G coaches.

The real question is what are the expectations for year two. Many of your fans expect a year two UCF type result. That won't happen. I realistically see Iowa as a 10-11 win team in 2019. Just too much NFL talent not to be.

Our conference schedule next year is similar to yours this year except we play Ohio St and Iowa plays Penn St... 9 wins....

If Iowa had our schedule in conference this year I wonder where Vegas would have Iowa at? The O/U is 7.5 for Iowa schedule in 2018.

Our conference schedule next year is similar to yours this year except we play Ohio St and Iowa plays Penn St... 9 wins....

If Iowa had our schedule in conference this year I wonder where Vegas would have Iowa at? The O/U is 7.5 for Iowa schedule in 2018.
We had your schedule last year. An extremely disappointing 8 win season for Iowa. You like to talk about the young recruiters on Frost's staff. KF has never had this type of exciting young coaches/recruiters ever. Nebraska is going to have to take it from Iowa. Not gonna happen in the next two years.

We had your schedule last year. An extremely disappointing 8 win season for Iowa. You like to talk about the young recruiters on Frost's staff. KF has never had this type of exciting young coaches/recruiters ever. Nebraska is going to have to take it from Iowa. Not gonna happen in the next two years.

Except the difference is Nebraska plays 5 road games and Iowa had 4.

Reactions: AZHusker1979

I was just wondering if Frost has the exact same results as Riley, if he gets more time?

Except the difference is Nebraska plays 5 road games and Iowa had 4.

george-ah-ha-o.gif

I'd say 6 wins to credit Nebraska and that's if he's maxing out his talent on both sides of the ball.

Frost will be doing very well if his tenure in the B1G approaches that of Iowa in terms of w/l record.

Consistent division titles or conference championships are unlikely.

Frost is simply outgunned compared to other B1G coaches.
How is Frost outgunned compared to other BIG coaches exactly?

He is the reigning COTY and lead his team to a 13-0 season capped off by beating a very good Auburn team.

Good question. IMO and many fans year 1 is a building block. A bowl appearance would be a nice bounce back.

Year 2 depends on how the young quarterbacks develope. However, if there is one thing Frost has a successful track record of as an OC and HC is developing QBs. Just based on that and that he has 4* talent at that position to mold I'd expect NU to win 9-10 games in 2019.

Fair question.

You already know about the awards Frost received, the accolades, and national recognition this offseason. However, it's hard to see how Frost is or could be worse that Riley and his staff. Riley never has done what Frost has done is less time. I also find it silly to think a 0-12 UCF team had "special talent". Teams with that kind of talent don't go 0-12. I'm sure there was talent, but not 13-0 talent without being coached up. Lets not forget a likely primary reason for such a great season as UCF was their QB, Milton who Frost recruited as a low 3* out of HI. Frost helped turn that kid into a Heisman finalist as a true Soph. He also brought in CB Mike Hughes in 2017 and has a offensive scheme that dominated in 2017. That is all on Frost, not the previous coaching staff at UCF. The previous coaching staff resulted in a 0-12 season and a crap culture. Frost fixed that culture in 2 seasons. He deserves a huge amount of credit for that.

Probably the most impressive thing about Frost is he QB development (most important position on the field). In 3 of the last 4 years Frost's QBs have been ranked in the top 2 of passer efficiency - Mariota (2014), Vernon Adams (2015), and Milton (2017). Now at NU he'll have Gebbia, Martinez, and McCaffrey. A nice group to move forward with.

The biggest change, and you can see the results now, is the strength training. It was crap under Riley. Frost and SC Duval demand results and are getting them. That will show up on the lines and will only get better in the coming years. I'm not saying NU will be Wisc or even Iowa on the OL, but they'll be much better soon and with that offense they run they'll put up a lot of points. The D will be aggressive and create turnovers. The D will take longer to get the right pieces in place as NU is thin at CB and edge rushers, but Frost and his staff can recruit and have shown they can develope guys to get to the QB and create turnovers. UCF was really good at that.

All of that said, no one knows, but if you look at past trends as future predictors it's hard not to get excited and see how much better Frost should be than Riley.
Riley was the best Coach the Hawkeyes ever had , oops I mean Huskers , now go re hire Him, correct that terrible decision and forget this Frost character .

And we Hawkeyes know the reigning COTY is always awesome! Right Hawkeye BB fans? LOL
What are you laughing at? Auburn would've blown you out by 30 or more last year. Did you so easily forget that Auburn beat Alabama and Georgia. You couldn't even sniff the Tide or Bulldogs jockstraps! UCF shoulda beaten Auburn by 21 as 2 guaranteed TD passes were dropped in the clear open field with not one defender around. UCF woulda beaten you by 30-40 last year guaranteed. So as I said, I don't know what the heck your laughing at! If UCF and Frost could hang with the SEC, he can most definitely hang with the BIG and it's coming! Your beat down of Ohio St was a massive fluke and everyone knew it, not the win itself was the fluke but the way you won as you aren't a good enough team to put that kind of a beat down on a top tier team without it being such a massive fluke!. You act like you are better than you actually are, and that's extremely comical I guess everyone gets lucky now and again! LMAO!!

Last edited:
last season Iowa played 10 teams that played i bowl games with 12 1st year starter and yet they went 8-5. this year the starting lineup this year will have at most 3 SR starters on offense and 2 SR starters on defense. this years team loses just 11 seniors of a recruiting class that was rated 59th,

last years team, had these for SR starters
2* WR Vandenberg
2* RB Wadley in the NFL
on offense

2* OLB Niemann in the NFL
2* MLB Jewell in the NFL
Walkon WLB Bower in the NFL
2* CB Jackson in the NFL

do you really think Frost can do that, also the recruiting has been getting better
2013 53rd
2014 59th
2015 56th
2016 42nd
2017 40th
2018 39th
the last time Iowa had a recruiting class in the 30's in 2011 that group of RSSR went 12-2. it is going to take some major coaching to catch KF.

last season Iowa played 10 teams that played i bowl games with 12 1st year starter and yet they went 8-5. this year the starting lineup this year will have at most 3 SR starters on offense and 2 SR starters on defense. this years team loses just 11 seniors of a recruiting class that was rated 59th,

last years team, had these for SR starters
2* WR Vandenberg
2* RB Wadley in the NFL
on offense

2* OLB Niemann in the NFL
2* MLB Jewell in the NFL
Walkon WLB Bower in the NFL
2* CB Jackson in the NFL

do you really think Frost can do that, also the recruiting has been getting better
2013 53rd
2014 59th
2015 56th
2016 42nd
2017 40th
2018 39th
the last time Iowa had a recruiting class in the 30's in 2011 that group of RSSR went 12-2. it is going to take some major coaching to catch KF.
I think Frost won't have to turn 2 stars into NFL players. He'll be able to recruit better than that. However, if you want to look at how he did at UCF...he helped turn low 3 star recruits like S. Griffin, Jordan Akins, and Tre'quan Smith into NFL draft picks this year. He also helped develop lightly recruited 5.5 3 start Mckenzie Milton into a Heisman finalist.

In just 2 months he finished off the 2018 class with seven 4 stars...Bell, Tannor, C. Jones, M. Jones, Watt, Smith, and most importantly top 100 QB Martinez. Also high 3 stars like Honas (who iowa wanted badly), Woodyard, and Washington.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

That's more 4 stars than iowa pulled has their 2018 and 2017 classes combined. So he can recruit and develop. It's not an either-or.

Honest question. Why do you seem to think Frost can't develop talent? I never said iowa doesn't do a good job at it. I'd personally rather have the right 4 star kids to develop then try to always do it with 2 stars. JMO of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT