ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season/Portal/transfers

This disinformation from Ironside is starting to irk me! Seriously, I hope there is no fallout from Soldier Salute-gate. Ramos will be back but can he cut to 25 again? Otherwise it would seem that 125 might clear our quite a bit with another round of covid seniors leaving. We need Ayala to finish in the top 3 to keep pace with PSU.

Sloan would be interesting although he may have caught lightning in a bottle this year. But that is an impressive finish in a tough weight class. If we're looking at Smith from MD he's a RS Frosh and his arrow seems to be pointing up. He had a couple of nice wins and lost close matches to Elam and Dean. He could man the 97 spot for us for 3 years.

I would love for us to look at other options at 33 and 84 but that's not the Brands style.

Riggins? Maybe 84 after Abe is gone. He has a full year to hit the weights and a nice frame so it's possible. Otherwise he has no spot in the lineup ever.
I told you guys a month ago Ayala is going to the portal and the good guys have an opening do the math. Don't piss off a mom!

Ignoring Ferrari additions.

What if Brands and Kennedy moved up to make way for Riggins at 157 and give Arnold a year in the room. Then we could look like this...
Is Teske the best 133 in the room? If so, that should be our transfer focus.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Siebrecht
165-Riggins
174-Kennedy
184-Brands
197-Franklin
Hwt-Cass
This lineup guarantees zero AA from 165-197. This wouldn't benefit us one bit.

And as others have mentioned Riggins will never be 57. His only viable spot in the lineup will be at 84. He'd need to bulk up quite a bit.

Isn’t Franklin a pretty solid young guy coming in at 197 for us? Or am I missing something (redshirt)?
Watched him wrestle the kid going to ISU for the Iowa HS championship…ISU kid has closed the gap just like O’Toole/Carr. Based on what I saw I’m not completely sold on Arnold though I’ve only seen his 3 matches against the ISU who I really like.

• Wow
Reactions: BGon4ND
He seems to be in the exact mold of the guys this board loves to complain about. Slow footed, limited bonus point potential, low ceiling.

Landing a guy like Smith would be a definite upgrade over Franklin.
I wish you were joking. But there’s too much truth there, imo.

The reel problem is that this would appear to be the prototypical type of athlete many here on the boards expect to save the program.

Last edited:
Ignoring Ferrari additions.

What if Brands and Kennedy moved up to make way for Riggins at 157 and give Arnold a year in the room. Then we could look like this...
Is Teske the best 133 in the room? If so, that should be our transfer focus.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Siebrecht
165-Riggins
174-Kennedy
184-Brands
197-Franklin
Hwt-Cass
I like Brands at 74…don’t want to go there again. He seems to be at the right weight.

Like I said, I may have heard him wrong. Just trying to get confirmation. Ironside didnt say anything bad, he was just talking about next seasons lineup

I actually enjoy how frank and honest Ironside can be. It’s better than hearing on the radio that an Iowa quarterback just barely sailed another pass over the receiver’s head or Iowa played great defense on the basketball court, but somehow the other team just seemed to have another record shooting night.
I was joking about Ironside. The disinformation comment came from the Session thread when he said there was no injury that he was aware of with Lee. Then the later comment about Ayala. Those are two big bombs that are either Ironside mis-speaking slightly or him maybe saying something he shouldn't have.

Either way, he definitely speaks his mind at times.

Reactions: el dub and Fatmarc
125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Siebrecht
165-Riggins
174-Kennedy
184-Brands
197-Franklin
Hwt-Cass
If this is the lineup, we would be capped at about 75 points at nationals.

125-Ayala….I caught so much flack last year. I’m not near as sold on him as everyone else is. If he scored 13 at nationals next year, I would take that in a split second

133 Teske…he doesn’t have the tools to place high. That has been proven. Great effort guy but just doesn’t have it. NEED TO FILL THIS WEIGHT

141: we’re set with a great wrestler

149: is this where Chittum falls? I’m guessing it is. We shall see….

157: like CS but he is of little threat to score big at nationals. If there is any aspirations to compete with Penn St., a transfer would be welcome at this weight.

165: Kennedy is a good wrestler. 165 will still be pretty loaded next year. Needs to improve his scrambling and flexibility but he is a good wrestler.

174: Brands maximized his ability. Him getting fifth was amazing to put it mildly. Could use a transfer here if he doesn’t come back. Sounds like he will not be back.

184: AA has had his chance. Three national tournaments and hasn’t really been a factor in any of them. Isn’t any better now than he was as a true freshman. A peaceful parting of the ways would be best for both parties here.

197: OMG, need a transfer is an understatement

HWT: Cass will be back and a solid contributor. Won’t have to face Parris again. Do not think it would happen, but I could also see him moving on.

In summary, Iowa is in some serious need of help. We have four weights that are borderline empty for national points next year.

Watched him wrestle the kid going to ISU for the Iowa HS championship…ISU kid has closed the gap just like O’Toole/Carr. Based on what I saw I’m not completely sold on Arnold though I’ve only seen his 3 matches against the ISU who I really like.
That was Arnold and his matches against Naak were body and style nightmares. And they will likely never wrestle again in college.

Franklin is the kid who lost his spot at Wyoming Sem (?) and came to Iowa City for his final year. He couldn't wrestle at ICH so just worked out with HWC. He took a RS this year but didn't exactly light it up in opens. Many think he's not the answer at 97 going forward.

Well he was 4-0. And they won’t be the same weight again. I wonder how much the score getting closer was Naak thinking he had a shot to win the first one, then after getting blown out 8-3 he just tried to defend the whole match…

I’ve said it from the moment he committed. Riggs has a perfect frame for ‘84 and I truly believe if gets on a good program to get there it could happen in this offseason. And he’ll have a nasty skill set there with his leg attacks.
Unless he thinks he can take out PK which isn't likely he would probably be advised to eat and lift to contend at 174/184.

Reactions: Gobblin
Arnold is the real deal. I only watched his finals match and I would take him over Nak without question. What did Nak do to make you sold on him besides making the score closer? Gabes explosive, athletic, and likely not cutting a lot of weight against a guy who looked bigger. I don't think it will take Gabe long for everyone to buy his stock.

If brands wants to contend for a title he needs the ferrari Brothers. Come on Tom, make a deal with the devil, what could go wrong lol

I do see rumors swirling of carr going to Penn state. Don't see that happening and imagine it's wishful thinking, but that would basically guarantee another psu title next year.

Reactions: SDHN2013 and xjohnx
Arnold is the real deal. I only watched his finals match and I would take him over Nak without question. What did Nak do to make you sold on him besides making the score closer? Gabes explosive, athletic, and likely not cutting a lot of weight against a guy who looked bigger. I don't think it will take Gabe long for everyone to buy his stock.
Agree. Furthermore, the score of the state finals match was misleading. Gabe controlled the action from start to finish. I never had the impression that Tate was ever in a good position to score offensively. Gabe is the total package, including his mat IQ. He knew the W was paramount. He wasn’t going to take any unnecessary chances.

And again, they’ll almost certainly never meet in college, despite the commentators’ many comments to the contrary during their state finals match. I wish Tate the best except when facing a Hawk, but if I’m a college coach I’m taking Gabe 10/10 times.

If brands wants to contend for a title he needs the ferrari Brothers. Come on Tom, make a deal with the devil, what could go wrong lol

I do see rumors swirling of carr going to Penn state. Don't see that happening and imagine it's wishful thinking, but that would basically guarantee another psu title next year.
Those are the rumors every year and just incredibly dumb

Reactions: xjohnx and js8793

They already have one virtually guaranteed anyway. Iowa would need to come up with 3 finalist calibur wrestlers to add to our returning AAs to even get in discussion with their returning points let alone any points they get from the the other 4 weights.

Reactions: MitchLL and xjohnx
Those are the rumors every year and just incredibly dumb
Carr seems to wrestle for ISU by colors only. He does most of his training with PSU, chums around them at tournaments, and is always seen rooting them on more than his own “teammates.” Wish they would’ve shown 100 shots of his old man last night while O’Toole took him apart.

Feels like Naak fits the mold the Hawks usually go after and Arnold fits the mold what the Hawks need (similar to Star and Brooks). They don’t always dominate score wise but dominate positions and rarely feels like they’re ever in danger of losing.

You know better than me my friend. I only saw those 3 matches. One thing I did notice…like Brooks, Arnold is almost impossible to score against; great defense! Again, my perspective is very limited.

Reactions: acuhawk
Well he was 4-0. And they won’t be the same weight again. I wonder how much the score getting closer was Naak thinking he had a shot to win the first one, then after getting blown out 8-3 he just tried to defend the whole match…
Can’t argue either way. Again, I’m only basing my comments on those three matches. You local guys get to see so much more than I do WRT the local Iowa talent

Carr seems to wrestle for ISU by colors only. He does most of his training with PSU, chums around them at tournaments, and is always seen rooting them on more than his own “teammates.” Wish they would’ve shown 100 shots of his old man last night while O’Toole took him apart.
I was wondering why we didn't get to see RBY's people's reaction after he got beat down.

The fact we didn't have a blue chip 133 lined up to take over for Austin is an epic fail. It's supposed to be 1 of our 2 feature weights. The Jesuroga situation isn't even an excuse as he would not have been here this year and would need a redshirt next year.
Maybe the staff thought Ybarra would at least improve slightly?

That was a big miss. And I'm sure they thought Cullan would contribute.

If you were Carr, would you want to sit with losers?

He'll be with NLWC the minute he graduates if his old man can get a job.
Otherwise, Carr probably has to stay in Ames.
Dresser's best team since he arrived...and no top ten and only 2 AAs. And arguably graduating two of their top three kids(Coleman/HWT).
Boy, he should be charged with Grand Larceny for the $$$ he took from Jamie.

I’ve said it from the moment he committed. Riggs has a perfect frame for ‘84 and I truly believe if gets on a good program to get there it could happen in this offseason. And he’ll have a nasty skill set there with his leg attacks.
Is PK too big for 57?

Feels like Naak fits the mold the Hawks usually go after and Arnold fits the mold what the Hawks need (similar to Star and Brooks). They don’t always dominate score wise but dominate positions and rarely feels like they’re ever in danger of losing.
This times a million. It’s refreshing

He’s a legacy and would’ve left already if that was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT