ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season/Portal/transfers

people get way too hung up on the size of our guys. the black singlet makes them look small.

strength is the least of PK’s issues. He needs to be more technical and comfortable in scrambles.
Poor fluidity in movement is probably the biggest issue a lot of our guys have. The more athletic they are the more fluid their movement. Vito was running water last night for example. 😉

You know better than me my friend. I only saw those 3 matches. One thing I did notice…like Brooks, Arnold is almost impossible to score against; great defense! Again, my perspective is very limited.
Gabe is also young compared to most high schoolers these days. Seems like a lot of seniors are 19 now. I believe he was a 17 year old senior. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Either way he is a powerhouse.

Last edited:
If you were Carr, would you want to sit with losers?

He'll be with NLWC the minute he graduates if his old man can get a job.
Otherwise, Carr probably has to stay in Ames.
Dresser's best team since he arrived...and no top ten and only 2 AAs. And arguably graduating two of their top three kids(Coleman/HWT).
Boy, he should be charged with Grand Larceny for the $$$ he took from Jamie.
I remember reading not long ago they had a good chance at a trophy, and were for sure top 10. Dresser has to be thanking John Smith for taking some attention off of their lack of performing.

I remember reading not long ago they had a good chance at a trophy, and were for sure top 10. Dresser has to be thanking John Smith for taking some attention off of their lack of performing.
Hard for even the most die hard Clone fan to spin 22/23 season as successful.

This was their year to crack the top ten.
They take another step back next season.
I am sure Dresser will tout the potential
for next year as he tries to raise funds for the CRTC, but the sell job gets harder each year they fall short of expectations.
If Carr only competes one more year...the clock is ticking.

people get way too hung up on the size of our guys. the black singlet makes them look small.

strength is the least of PK’s issues. He needs to be more technical and comfortable in scrambles.
He needs to be better on top.

So here is one to ponder. Saw this elsewhere Griffith does has another year not sure if he will be back or not but stated has done about all he can academically at Stanford. And there has been the discussion on here about the relationship between Carr and the PSU boys. So PSU moves Brooks to 107 and CS to 184. Insert Griffith at 174 and Carr 165. Then throw in Anthony Noto at 125. I am sure Cael has money burning a hole in his pocket to spend to make this happen.

Reactions: TarpHawk
As tight as Carr is with the PSU guys, I’d be shocked if he left. The son of an ISU legend? I bet ISU would pay a whole lot to keep him there if necessary. His departure would be a serious kick in the nuts to a program trying to get back on its feet.

As tight as Carr is with the PSU guys, I’d be shocked if he left. The son of an ISU legend? I bet ISU would pay a whole lot to keep him there if necessary. His departure would be a serious kick in the nuts to a program trying to get back on its feet.

They don’t have the money to pull this off. His dad works for the ISU club. That money/job is what got him to Ames and will have to keep him there another year.

Back to the Iowa lineup, seeing Iowa fans gleefully pencil a guy awaiting trial for rape into the lineup is worse than anything I saw on the mat this weekend. JFC.

I would be shocked too but it’s out there in people’s minds before I even left the arena last night.

They don’t have the money to pull this off. His dad works for the ISU club. That money/job is what got him to Ames and will have to keep him there another year.
I’m aware that Nate works for the CWC. That’s obviously one factor keeping David there. I’d be surprised if they couldn’t come up with funds to keep him if it got to that point. It’s not unusual for donors to step up upon request in situations like that.

Reactions: fourbyfour69
Abe is also young compared to most high schoolers these days. Seems like a lot of seniors are 19 now. I believe he was a 17 year old senior. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Either way he is a powerhouse.
Not sure that I'd label Abe Assad as a powerhouse, based on results to date. Like him, and he is a Hawk, but calling it like I see it.

Reactions: el dub
I’m aware that Nate works for the CWC. That’s obviously one factor keeping David there. I’d be surprised if they couldn’t come up with funds to keep him if it got to that point. It’s not unusual for donors to step up upon request in situations like that.

They’ve been struggling to come up with funds for their club for years. Not sure they have those kind of donors.

Idk, but he looks like the smallest 165 in Div I.

Not sure about that. But regardless, saying someone is too big for 157 but too small for 165 is pure message board fantasy. Absolutely comical.

That’s what I was worried about!
Not sure that I'd label Abe Assad as a powerhouse, based on results to date. Like him, and he is a Hawk, but calling it like I see it.
I am certainly do not have coach level wrestling knowledge in technique, but Abe has terrible technique on his takedowns. Gets to legs nicely but for some reason it stops there and he drops down and puts his face in the mat when he touches his opponents leg. I know he has elbow injury, so maybe thats the reason.

They’ve been struggling to come up with funds for their club for years. Not sure they have those kind of donors.

Not sure about that. But regardless, saying someone is too big for 157 but too small for 165 is pure message board fantasy. Absolutely comical.
Message board comedy straight from Fantasy Island… Set up a mid level recruit just right and miracles will happen.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
If you're Carr, there's a lot of pride being the Big Dog on a team.
Even if that team is dogshit, he's the face of the program.
If anyone on that roster has bigger goals, I think they head to Waverly.

Ayala should be in the mix to place high. Woods is obviously a contender. I like Brands at 174. We need Chittum to be the real deal. I prefer him at 157 and Rathjen at 149. Kennedy needs to move up a level. We can't afford to keep status quo unchallenged at 133, 184 and 197. Sloan would certainly be better than what we have in house. Riggins fits on the bench more than likely. The weight opposite Chittum shouldn't be safe from additional personnel either.
Rathjen hasn’t proven that he’s an aa level guy so far. Chittum seems legit - beating world level competition this year. Excellent. Wonder where riggins optimal weight is. Thought he was a top recruit?

Rathjen hasn’t proven that he’s an aa level guy so far. Chittum seems legit - beating world level competition this year. Excellent. Wonder where riggins optimal weight is. Thought he was a top recruit?
Riggins was not a top recruit, probably more like mid 30s to 50s range. Optimal weight is 165-174 but if he wants in the lineup sooner he'll have to bulk up to 184 as we have zero viable options beyond Abe.

Riggins was in the 30s so not that high. I agree Rathjen hasn't proven anything but my hope there is due to him being young still, he is a good sized 149 pounder, if healthy he has better than average athletic ability and he has shown flashes like beating Chittum is a freestyle a while back.

If brands wants to contend for a title he needs the ferrari Brothers. Come on Tom, make a deal with the devil, what could go wrong lol

I do see rumors swirling of carr going to Penn state. Don't see that happening and imagine it's wishful thinking, but that would basically guarantee another psu title next year.
Do you think PSU needs him for another title? They’re trying to do every weight.

Riggins was not a top recruit, probably more like mid 30s to 50s range. Optimal weight is 165-174 but if he wants in the lineup sooner he'll have to bulk up to 184 as we have zero viable options beyond Abe.
So, a mid range recruit moving up a weight of two and being successful is actually a thing?

Riggins is a pretty highly ranked recruit for most programs being in the 30's.. Penn States Gary Steen was rated in the 20's. Just a little perspective for expectations and showing that Cael doesn't just coach everyone up. A guy rated in the 20's is a project for Penn State, but an elite recruit for other teams.
Riggins looked very promising wrestling up a weight against a solid opponent. High attack rate and he does have a great frame. I don't see 184 in his immediate future but don't know how much growing he has left. Rathjen also showed a lot of athletic ability and potential when he bumped up to face Coleman. I'm really excited to see how the lineup shapes up next year.

We need transfers at 133, 184 and 197. That is the bottom-line if you want to even sniff PSU on the leaderboard. The new era of wrestling is win now. We don't have enough talent at those three weights.

125- Ayala, fringe AA
133- Transfer
141- Top 2
149- Chittum, AA
157- Cobe... needs to improve a lot
165- Kennedy... needs to improve a lot
174- Brands... I'm not intrigued
184- Transfer... just don't see any progression with Abe
197- Transfer... I don't see an answer on current roster
285- Cass...top 3

Side note... this isn't the coaching staff to get it done at the mid and upper weights. I look around the country and see much more qualified coaches coaching those weights. The two guys on our staff... questionable at best. M* can recruit, not sure on the coaching part. Bobby Telford... woof.

Talked to a lot of former Iowa wrestlers in Tulsa. People are frustrated. Not at the 2nd place but the lack of development from our wrestlers and our inability to adapt.

I support Tom 100% but he needs to overhaul this thing.

Last edited:
We need transfers at 133, 184 and 197. That is the bottom-line if you want to even sniff PSU on the leaderboard. The new era of wrestling is win now. We don't have enough talent at those three weights.

125- Ayala, fringe AA
133- Transfer
141- Top 2
149- Chittum, AA
157- Cobe... needs to improve a lot
165- Kennedy... needs to improve a lot
174- Brands... I'm not intrigued
184- Transfer... just don't see any progression with Abe
197- Transfer... I don't see an answer on current roster
285- Cass...top 3

Side note... this isn't the coaching staff to get it done at the mid and upper weights. I look around the country and see much more qualified coaches coaching those weights. The two guys on our staff... questionable at best. M* can recruit, not sure on the coaching part. Bobby Telford... woof.

Talked to a lot of former Iowa wrestlers in Tulsa. People are frustrated. Not at the 2nd place but the lack of development from our wrestlers and our inability to adapt.

I support Tom 100% but he needs to overhaul this thing.
Who is our top two 141’er next season? Isn’t Wood finished?

I think we need help with the big guys too. Do you have a chance to get Cox (yes I know he is competing still), here now that Gabe will be here? Leaving out guys in NLWC, they are stilll competing and not leaving that club. Who else around the country for a big man coach? Just trying to think of ideas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT