ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season/Portal/transfers

Chittum is competing at 154 (70kg) in freestyle and doing well. I think 157 should be the move for him next year. Cobe was a 149 pounder last year and did not look particularly large at 157 this year. We should see Cobe and Rathjen battle for 149.

We should look to upgrade 133 if possible but give Teske another year in this lightweight room and we may see him jump a level. Don't forget that he battled a serious knee infection half the year and did not get a ton of mat time for the hawks.

Listening to Ironside he said, and not sure why and unless I heard him wrong, he hopes Ayala is back next hear. Did anyone else hear that? Also mentioned Sloan from SDSU is using his covid year and Hawks will need a 97 next season. I also think they will need 2-3 more high end transfers to keep up with PSU.
25: Ayala
33: Teske
41: Woods
49: Chittum???
57: Siebrecht/Chittum???
65: Kennedy
74: Brands/Arnold
84: Assad/Arnold
97: Sloan……1 can wish/hope
HWT: Cass

Where does Riggins fall in this and other guys? What other weights could we see transfers at besides 197?
Pretty unlikely that Sloan leaves a room with Cam Simaz and Damian Hahn that just put him in the NCAA finals.

Chittum is competing at 154 (70kg) in freestyle and doing well. I think 157 should be the move for him next year. Cobe was a 149 pounder last year and did not look particularly large at 157 this year. We should see Cobe and Rathjen battle for 149.

We should look to upgrade 133 if possible but give Teske another year in this lightweight room and we may see him jump a level. Don't forget that he battled a serious knee infection half the year and did not get a ton of mat time for the hawks.
Teske fascinates me because IMO he clearly has tools. It feels to me like there is a foundation there for a guy that can compete.

We need transfers at 133, 184 and 197. That is the bottom-line if you want to even sniff PSU on the leaderboard. The new era of wrestling is win now. We don't have enough talent at those three weights.

125- Ayala, fringe AA
133- Transfer
141- Top 2
149- Chittum, AA
157- Cobe... needs to improve a lot
165- Kennedy... needs to improve a lot
174- Brands... I'm not intrigued
184- Transfer... just don't see any progression with Abe
197- Transfer... I don't see an answer on current roster
285- Cass...top 3

Side note... this isn't the coaching staff to get it done at the mid and upper weights. I look around the country and see much more qualified coaches coaching those weights. The two guys on our staff... questionable at best. M* can recruit, not sure on the coaching part. Bobby Telford... woof.

Talked to a lot of former Iowa wrestlers in Tulsa. People are frustrated. Not at the 2nd place but the lack of development from our wrestlers and our inability to adapt.

I support Tom 100% but he needs to overhaul this thing.
You’re high out of your mind if you think Ayala is a fringe AA

So...I read 4/5 other forums, and I realize they're just a bitching ground for fans, but there's discussion on Gophs site that McKee is returning and they have Spratley waiting. Reports are Spratley was good friends with Chittum. If McKee gets pushed out the door, maybe Hawk's 133? Or if Spratley doesn't want to sit...125 with Drake 133?

Just spitballing!

I think we need help with the big guys too. Do you have a chance to get Cox (yes I know he is competing still), here now that Gabe will be here? Leaving out guys in NLWC, they are stilll competing and not leaving that club. Who else around the country for a big man coach? Just trying to think of ideas.

The problem is we have a bunch of unqualified coaches for the level we are seeking. You're telling me Dan Dennis is our best option for HWC? M* is best option to coach mid-weights? Telford best option for upper/HWTs? It's clear to me not many guys are getting better or developing. The Brands brothers are obviously qualified... what are the career accolades and career experiences of the three I mentioned....

Telford: zero Big Ten titles, zero National titles, zero post-college titles
Morningstar: zero Big Ten titles, zero National titles, made an Olympic trial run... one year coaching at Wisconsin
Dennis: zero Big Ten titles, zero National titles, US Open champion, Grand Prix Germany champion

Now, these are all accomplished guys but compared to what Iowa used to have in the room, it's pathetic.

1997 staff:
Royce Alger: 2-time National champion, world silver medalist
Jim Zalesky: 3-time National champion, MOW at Nationals
Tom Brands: 3-time National champion, 3-time Big Ten champion, Olympic Gold medal
Terry Brands: 2-time National champion, Olympic Bronze, multiple time world champion

Add in Gable... 2 more National titles. 12 titles for the coaching staff... the current staff plus Dennis has zero big ten titles, zero national titles outside of the Brands brothers.

The problem is we have a bunch of unqualified coaches for the level we are seeking. You're telling me Dan Dennis is our best option for HWC? M* is best option to coach mid-weights? Telford best option for upper/HWTs? It's clear to me not many guys are getting better or developing. The Brands brothers are obviously qualified... what are the career accolades and career experiences of the three I mentioned....

Morningstar: zero Big Ten titles, zero National titles, made an Olympic trial run... one year coaching at Wisconsin
Dennis: zero Big Ten titles, zero National titles, US Open champion, Grand Prix Germany champion

Now, these are all accomplished guys but compared to what Iowa used to have in the room, it's pathetic.

1997 staff:
Tom Brands: 3-time National champion, 3-time Big Ten champion, Olympic Gold medal
Terry Brands: 2-time National champion, Olympic Bronze, multiple time world champion

Add in Gable... 2 more National titles. 12 titles for the coaching staff... the current staff plus Dennis has zero big ten titles, zero national titles outside of the Brands brothers.

I think you are convoluting wrestling accomplishments with coaching ability. Thought there is often a correlation it is hardly this absolute. Look at PSU's assistants--the total number of NCAA titles is a whopping one, with zero Olympians. Their wrestling accomplishments are similar to Iowa's staff. Furthermore, some of the best head college coaches in the country fit the above profiles from a wrestling achievement standpoint.

Now, if you want to say the Iowa staff just aren't great coaches, you might still be able to make an argument based on performance alone. And I might even agree with you.

I think you are convoluting wrestling accomplishments with coaching ability. Thought there is often a correlation it is hardly this absolute. Look at PSU's assistants--the total number of NCAA titles is a whopping one, with zero Olympians. Their wrestling accomplishments are similar to Iowa's staff. Furthermore, some of the best head college coaches in the country fit the above profiles from a wrestling achievement standpoint.

Now, if you want to say the Iowa staff just aren't great coaches, you might still be able to make an argument based on performance alone. And I might even agree with you.

You might be right there and I don't think we have a good staff outside of Tom and Terry. And I don't think Telford and Morningstar are qualified.

1997 staff:

Outsider looking in—good boy club, get in with TNT and you get to stick around.

Telford, MStar and Dennis are sitting on 3 jobs that are probably among the 20 best wrestling coaching jobs in America, not just for pay but exposure and opportunity. Why were they picked and what metrics are they evaluated upon?

Outsider looking in—good boy club, get in with TNT and you get to stick around.

Telford, MStar and Dennis are sitting on 3 jobs that are probably among the 20 best wrestling coaching jobs in America, not just for pay but exposure and opportunity. Why were they picked and what metrics are they evaluated upon?
Come on, man. Rather than sit behind your anonymous screen name and take pot shots about a "good boy club", why don't you stop by the wrestling office and ask these questions yourself? I know why, and so do you. Chad's office is right there. You can ask him all of your probing questions, too. I'm beginning to think you're a PSU troll.

Come on, man. Rather than sit behind your anonymous screen name and take pot shots about a "good boy club", why don't you stop by the wrestling office and ask these questions yourself? I know why, and so do you. Chad's office is right there. You can ask him all of your probing questions, too. I'm beginning to think you're a PSU troll.
I am an outsider no doubt. The theme is here, but rather than attack the posters why not defend the staffing decisions. What is Chad gonna tell me, Dennis and Telford are really good dudes? I suspect they are. I also suspect a ton of guys would kill for their jobs so what made them rise to the top? I would expect others here want to know also.

as much as I hate to admit it, one thing that is very clear is that loyalty to alums is far more important than being in the hunt for the absolute top talent in the country whether it be resident athletes or coaching staff.

now I'm not going to pretend that I know what the answers are but just look at the NLWC roster vs. the HWC roster. while their roster is littered with world and olympic medalists from all over the country and world, the only non-hawk alum we have is a guy from lindenwood?

I am excited to see what this new crop of HWC athletes can accomplish but can you really say we are going after the biggest of the big athletes? are we even in the discussion or in consideration? when jordan burroughs was making a move, do you think he wanted to be coached by dan dennis or work with m*?

I love loyalty and I love rewarding the athletes that gave us so much joy as fans of the college program but when it comes to the "pros" and don't kid yourself it is the pros, you have to prioritize winning and medals at some point....

Reactions: Mendoza77
I am an outsider no doubt. The theme is here, but rather than attack the posters why not defend the staffing decisions. What is Chad gonna tell me, Dennis and Telford are really good dudes? I suspect they are. I also suspect a ton of guys would kill for their jobs so what made them rise to the top? I would expect others here want to know also.
"The theme is here". This makes no sense.

That said, I'm not attacking anyone. You're attacking the Iowa program and HWC with baseless allegations. I did my best to be patient and helpful, but that effort was clearly fruitless. If you're the outsider you say you are (I'm assuming you're a PSU troll until proven otherwise), how do you have any idea whether the Iowa coaching staff is an "old boys' club"? You clearly have no idea, but you figured you'd hurl that accusation on an anonymous message board.

Has it occurred to you that Dan Dennis might be a hell of a good coach? Have you ever considered that he might be a perfect fit to help train possibly the best 57 kg wrestler in US history? Have you thought about his history with the Iowa program, his chemistry with HWC and Iowa wrestlers, and the possibility that he might be a perfect fit?

You have no idea. But since you're so curious, I still suggest you bring your questions straight to Chad. Might as go straight to the source, right? I know the drive from PA is a long one, but since this means so much to you, probably worth the time and gas.

Last edited:
as much as I hate to admit it, one thing that is very clear is that loyalty to alums is far more important than being in the hunt for the absolute top talent in the country whether it be resident athletes or coaching staff.

now I'm not going to pretend that I know what the answers are but just look at the NLWC roster vs. the HWC roster. while their roster is littered with world and olympic medalists from all over the country and world, the only non-hawk alum we have is a guy from lindenwood?

I am excited to see what this new crop of HWC athletes can accomplish but can you really say we are going after the biggest of the big athletes? are we even in the discussion or in consideration? when jordan burroughs was making a move, do you think he wanted to be coached by dan dennis or work with m*?

I love loyalty and I love rewarding the athletes that gave us so much joy as fans of the college program but when it comes to the "pros" and don't kid yourself it is the pros, you have to prioritize winning and medals at some point....

Agreed. Tom wants the HWC endowed to the tune of around $15 Million. We don't have guys because we can't afford them. You have a couple hundred K to sponsor one of these guys for a year?

Agreed. Tom wants the HWC endowed to the tune of around $15 Million. We don't have guys because we can't afford them.
And once we can afford the guys and can start getting a couple, I'm thinking the college team will start doing better as well with all the new partners to roll around with, without having to change the coaching staff, which will help with recruiting, which will help improve everyone even more, which will help with recruiting even more, etc etc.

I think Ayala is top 3 next year. 125 clears out a lot. Drake is probably my favorite kid to watch on your team. He gets after it and scores a lot of points

Can Chittum make 149? If so, that seems like the best weight for him. It seems like people are down on Cobe but if he wasn’t injured I think he should have AA’ed. Chittum at 149 and Cobe at 157 seems solid

197 is the by far the biggest question mark. Could definitely use a transfer to bring in a higher level guy. If that happens the lineup is solid from top to bottom

I wish you were joking. But there’s too much truth there, imo.

The reel problem is that this would appear to be the prototypical type of athlete many here on the boards expect to save the program.
it’s the only type athlete that Tom can recruit. others don’t want to adopt his stay in position don’t look for shots philosophy.

Reactions: nitlion6
I’m an Iowa fan and I agree with him. We are stagnant. We need new blood, new styles, new ideas. We need guys that are going to attract other guys. I can’t imagine a top 197 or 285 recruit is coming here to train with Telford (nothing against Telford).

If brands wants to contend for a title he needs the ferrari Brothers. Come on Tom, make a deal with the devil, what could go wrong lol

I do see rumors swirling of carr going to Penn state. Don't see that happening and imagine it's wishful thinking, but that would basically guarantee another psu title next year.
sure tom, sell your soul and show that Hawkeye wrestling has no ethical standards.

• Haha
Reactions: cheaptilt42
Sometimes I wonder if these trolls have ever watched a Tom or Terry Brands wrestling match... Their attack rate was on par with Metcalf and DeSanto.
how many matches with more than one take down? how many matches with none? ftm how many of the shots we took were we not able to finish. fyi…been watching a lot longer than you have.

That's not what Coach Brands says. It's what you infer to smear the program. Trolls do this.
don’t really care what he says, it’s the results that matter. been around Iowa wrestling a lot longer than you have. don’t like what someone has to say and can’t counter it….just call him a troll…that works.

Reactions: nitlion6

1997 staff:

You might be right there and I don't think we have a good staff outside of Tom and Terry. And I don't think Telford and Morningstar are qualified.
Can you explain why you don't think Telford and Morningstar are qualified? Maybe they aren't. But I know there are all kinds of examples a great coaches, in most all of the sports, who were not greats/champions in theirs. I think part of the problem with the upper weights is a lack of high quality training partners either on the team or HWC. As they say, iron sharpens iron and to ask a coach to be a training partner too is not the answer.

Can you explain why you don't think Telford and Morningstar are qualified? Maybe they aren't. But I know there are all kinds of examples a great coaches, in most all of the sports, who were not greats/champions in theirs. I think part of the problem with the upper weights is a lack of high quality training partners either on the team or HWC. As they say, iron sharpens iron and to ask a coach to be a training partner too is not the answer.
Exactly. Look at PSU, for example. Cody has been there from the start. Nothing special as a wrestler. Cunningham was very good but far
from a star. Jimmy Kennedy was similar. Now of those guys outside of Carl is a superstar. They’ve obviously done a great job.

As ChiPack says, the assistant coaches themselves don’t need to be superstars on the mat. It’s the studs in the club that attract blue-chippers as workout partners.

Agreed. Tom wants the HWC endowed to the tune of around $15 Million. We don't have guys because we can't afford them. You have a couple hundred K to sponsor one of these guys for a year?
there are a few reasons other than money why we do not get certain guys. however, if it’s always only the money then do some creative things to raise more and don’t subsidize wrestlers who will never win a free style event.

Exactly. Look at PSU, for example. Cody has been there from the start. Nothing special as a wrestler. Cunningham was very good but far
from a star. Jimmy Kennedy was similar. Now of those guys outside of Carl is a superstar. They’ve obviously done a great job.

As ChiPack says, the assistant coaches themselves don’t need to be superstars on the mat. It’s the studs in the club that attract blue-chippers as workout partners.
ok, got you. PS coaches weren’t stars our assistant coaches weren’t stars. next criteria would then be results it would seem. to be fair I don’t think our assistant coaches are the problem. coaching philosophy always falls on the head coach of any team.

ok, got you. PS coaches weren’t stars our assistant coaches weren’t stars. next criteria would then be results it would seem. to be fair I don’t think our assistant coaches are the problem. coaching philosophy always falls on the head coach of any team.
IMO, the “problem” is 100% recruiting. I don’t think coaching philosophy is any more than a blip. It’s all about landing top 10 P4P recruits. That’s by far the difference between PSU and everyone else. With exactly the same staff and better recruiting, we’ll do very well.

how many matches with more than one take down? how many matches with none? ftm how many of the shots we took were we not able to finish. fyi…been watching a lot longer than you have.
1992 NCAA tournament for Tom Brands 1st Round - Pin, 2nd Round 23-9, 3rd round 16-7, 4th Round 15-4, Championship 6-2 over Alan Fried

1992 NCAA tournament for Terry Brands 1st Round - Pin, 2nd Round 23-8 tech, 3rd round pin, 4th Round 9-6, Championship 8-5 over Shawn Charles

That's a lot of points scored for a couple guys that preach a "stand around and do nothing" style of wrestling as you insist.

IMO, the “problem” is 100% recruiting. I don’t think coaching philosophy is any more than a blip. It’s all about landing top 10 P4P recruits. That’s by far the difference between PSU and everyone else. With exactly the same staff and better recruiting, we’ll do very well.
At what point is it appropriate to see some champs? Morningstar has been on staff since 2012. St John is the only champ around his weight in that time. That was 2012-2013. Marinelli, Kemdawg, and Warner were all top recruits. Training, recruiting, technique, and philosophy comes down from Tom’s vision, so it’s obviously not all on M*, but shouldn’t any coach be on the hot seat at U of Iowa if they’ve essentially produced next to zero champs at their general weight of expertise?

and why is it that we can’t recruit…especially now that we can compensate recruits as well? I know that even asking this question makes me a troll and an idiot as I am being referenced…….easy thing when it’s the only response I guess.

1992 NCAA tournament for Tom Brands 1st Round - Pin, 2nd Round 23-9, 3rd round 16-7, 4th Round 15-4, Championship 6-2 over Alan Fried

1992 NCAA tournament for Terry Brands 1st Round - Pin, 2nd Round 23-8 tech, 3rd round pin, 4th Round 9-6, Championship 8-5 over Shawn Charles

That's a lot of points scored for a couple guys that preach a "stand around and do nothing" style of wrestling as you insist.
in case you haven’t noticed that was 30 years ago. times and wrestling have changed and evolved. perhaps we should as well. I know facts hurt…so I must be a troll and or idiot…lol

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT