ADVERTISEMENT

Non-stop hurricane warnings!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes! It's gonna be the worst season ever due to high ocean temps in hurricane alley! Get prepared! Get scared! Get ready for the big one (or many big ones)! Panic, everybody.... PANIC!!!!! Let's scare all the insurers out of the state!

Every freaking day in my local fish wrap. Every freaking day on tv. Every freaking day on the internet "news" sites. Non-stop talk about the upcoming hurricane season!

I really hope all this click-bait crap falls flat on its face. Yes, I believe we'll have a busy hurricane season, including many dangerous ones. But that doesn't mean everybody needs to FREAK OUT! I've lived through many hurricanes and they suck, but it's not the end of the world. I've even stood in the eye of a major hurricane (Wilma) and my house did not suffer any significant damage.

But most importantly, even if it is a busy season that does not mean we'll get lots of landfalling, major storms. That depends on many factors beyond sea surface temps.

But let's not let reality stop the hype! Nope... keep the hysteria going! That sells.

Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

The news media down here in Florida can't stop talking about hurricanes! It's gonna be the worst season ever due to high ocean temps in hurricane alley! Get prepared! Get scared! Get ready for the big one (or many big ones)! Panic, everybody.... PANIC!!!!! Let's scare all the insurers out of the state!

Every freaking day in my local fish wrap. Every freaking day on tv. Every freaking day on the internet "news" sites. Non-stop talk about the upcoming hurricane season!

I really hope all this click-bait crap falls flat on its face. Yes, I believe we'll have a busy hurricane season, including many dangerous ones. But that doesn't mean everybody needs to FREAK OUT! I've lived through many hurricanes and they suck, but it's not the end of the world. I've even stood in the eye of a major hurricane (Wilma) and my house did not suffer any significant damage.

But most importantly, even if it is a busy season that does not mean we'll get lots of landfalling, major storms. That depends on many factors beyond sea surface temps.

But let's not let reality stop the hype! Nope... keep the hysteria going! That sells.

Hurricane forecasts are not what is "driving insurers out of your state", bud.

But these insurance companies are going to eventually risk-avoid themselves out of business.
Certainly in Florida. It's why most insurance companies set up independent companies in Florida in the first place so they could protect the rest of the company. But it's not just Florida these days. California is having the same issue and evidently Iowa has been put in that group too.

Certainly in Florida. It's why most insurance companies set up independent companies in Florida in the first place so they could protect the rest of the company. But it's not just Florida these days. California is having the same issue and evidently Iowa has been put in that group too.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the insurance cancellation crisis isn't just happening in Florida.

Because, you know... global warming isn't just a Florida problem.

I have a coworker whose son lives in a 100-year-old home in Florida.

No one will write an insurance policy on this house anymore.

IT HAS STOOD THROUGH DOZENS OF HURRICANES!

New roof and hurricane-proof windows? Still no policy.

It's madness. Fvck these insurance pukes. They collected premiums for DECADES.

Rot in hell.

I have a coworker whose son lives in a 100-year-old home in Florida.

No one will write an insurance policy on this house anymore.

IT HAS STOOD THROUGH DOZENS OF HURRICANES!

New roof and hurricane-proof windows? Still no policy.

It's madness. Fvck these insurance pukes. They collected premiums for DECADES.

Rot in hell.
Capitalism BABAY! Your god and savior till it’s not amirite?

Capitalism BABAY! Your god and savior till it’s not amirite?

Again, you have to accept some risk if you're in the insurance business.

That's the deal. They only want to insure brand-new buildings in a goldilocks location.

Well, there aren't any goldilocks locations if you believe the global warming crap, so welcome to insolvency, bitches!

But these insurance companies are going to eventually risk-avoid themselves out of business.

Why can't Ron DeSantistan create a state-run "re-insurer" and just ignore all the actuaries and their "global warming" stuff and self-insure for your state? Pretty easy thing for him and the state legislature to set up...

Reactions: Moral and lucas80
Again, you have to accept some risk if you're in the insurance business.

That's the deal. They only want to insure brand-new buildings in a goldilocks location.

Well, there aren't any goldilocks locations if you believe the global warming crap, so welcome to insolvency, bitches!
Yeah that’s not true and you know it. Go to any public insurance companies balance sheet. Outside of comp and bonds almost every line is losing money. Cost of goods and legal costs are through the roof. Oh yeah and wind, hail, wildfire. Oh and people live in areas of higher CAT. DFW, Houston, Denver, most of California. Oh yeah and Florida is an insurance dumpster fire.

Why can't Ron DeSantistan create a state-run "re-insurer" and just ignore all the actuaries and their "global warming" stuff and self-insure for your state? Pretty easy thing for him and the state legislature to set up...
It would be a snap. Take all that money that is being used to turn kids trans and for DEI woke s**t and use it to fund an insurer of last resort. .

Global Warming? LOL The Al Gores of the world want you to swallow that crap.

The facts are that more people are building more homes and businesses along the coasts, which equate to more claims in the event some storm takes place.

Global Warming? LOL The Al Gores of the world want you to swallow that crap.

The facts are that more people are building more homes and businesses along the coasts, which equate to more claims in the event some storm takes place.
That also means "more premiums" in the places that aren't hit, to make up for the "more places" that got hit.
So, logic seems to be failing you here...

That also means "more premiums" in the places that aren't hit, to make up for the "more places" that got hit.
Not really, premiums collected rarely raise enough capital to offset payments made due to claims. Insurance companies operate on the assumption they will rarely pay a policy holder a claim for total devastation.

Not really, premiums collected rarely raise enough capital to offset payments made due to claims.

Weird, how they have all the positive cash flow for all those Caitlin Clark and Reggie Miller ads...

You clearly do not understand how insurance works.

Insurance companies operate on the assumption they will rarely pay a policy holder a claim for total devastation.

Insurance companies get "re-insurance" for those cases. Only, re-insurers are not underwriting their policies, anymore, because climate change is causing "total devastation" in areas that used to just be modestly hit.

Now, if the re-insurers like MunichRE and Lloyds of London were just bullshitting you, any major entity w/ a lot of cash onhand could easily "undersell" re-insurance, put them all out of business and make gobs of money on the re-insurance premiums.

But that isn't happening; because they all know the losses are getting worse due to climate change, and no one is dumb enough to step in and undercut their prices, because they'll go bankrupt.

Insurance companies get "re-insurance" for those cases. Only, re-insurers are not underwriting their policies, anymore, because climate change is causing "total devastation" in areas that used to just be modestly hit.

Now, if the re-insurers like MunichRE and Lloyds of London were just bullshitting you, any major entity w/ a lot of cash onhand could easily "undersell" re-insurance, put them all out of business and make gobs of money on the re-insurance premiums.

But that isn't happening; because they all know the losses are getting worse due to climate change, and no one is dumb enough to step in and undercut their prices, because they'll go bankrupt.
Climate change is greatly overstated.

The Earth's climate has always been cyclical involving periods of warming and cooling which subsequently creates storms. These warming periods and subsequent storms have happened over and over way before any such global warming nonsense came about.

Reactions: goldmom
The Earth's climate has always been cyclical involving periods of warming and cooling
No one debates that isn't true.

However, climate is currently changing faster than we've ever seen in the geologic records. And we know it is not "natural processes" this time.

Weird.

NHC.gov says "no hurricane activity at this time".
No idea why FL is flooded with "warnings" on your feeds.
Tomorrow (June 1) is the official start of hurricane season which is why the media here in Florida is focusing on it. Urging citizens to check their hurricane kits and buy batteries and water for starters.
You wouldn’t know that because you don’t live here.

Reactions: Uniformed_ReRe
We “know this”?
We don’t actually.

Oh, we actually do know this.
With certainty.

No one can point to any natural process that explains it. Been posted for you at least a dozen times now.

• Solar output? Nope. Solar activity has been lower for the past 50-70 years; global temperatures are rapidly increasing during a time period of lower solar output
  • Other CO2 source? Nope. Volcanic activity is a few percent of human emissions, and the isotopic ratios of the CO2 in the atmosphere absolutely show it is from sequestered CO2, not terrestrial sources. Higher CO2 levels (>420 ppm vs. the pre-industrial 280 ppm) are not in question
  • Milankovitch cycle? Nope. We hit the peak of that 1000 yrs or so ago, and we should now be living on an Earth that goes into a cooling cycle for the next 50-100,000 years.

Robert Muller's BEST study fully confirmed this more than 15 years ago; there is no question that human activities, primarily the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, is driving our 20th and 21st century warming.

Last edited:

Many of the multi million dollar homes I see going up on the ocean are paid for in cash and therefore they self-insure,
Frankly I was amazed at the level of construction I saw when I drove down to Vero Beach a couple of weeks ago. Enormous houses that easily were in the $8-12 million dollar range.
I wonder what they’re doing in California to alleviate their crisis?
And the seasonal tornadoes in the heartland will be impacting Iowans. If they aren’t already.
But you live in Arizona right?

I think the state EMS offices are having pre-hurricane conferences this week which is sorta putting it in the news.

Reactions: goldmom
Oh, we actually do know this.
With certainty.

No one can point to any natural process that explains it. Been posted for you at least a dozen times now.

• Solar output? Nope. Solar activity has been lower for the past 50-70 years; global temperatures are rapidly increasing during a time period of lower solar output
  • Other CO2 source? Nope. Volcanic activity is a few percent of human emissions, and the isotopic ratios of the CO2 in the atmosphere absolutely show it is from sequestered CO2, not terrestrial sources. Higher CO2 levels (>420 ppm vs. the pre-industrial 280 ppm are not in question)
  • Milankovitch cycle? Nope. We hit the peak of that 1000 yrs or so ago, and we should now be living on an Earth that goes into a cooling cycle for the next 50-100,000 years.

Robert Muller's BEST study fully confirmed this more than 15 years ago; there is no question that human activities, primarily the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, is driving our 20th and 21st century warming.
Okay. Been posted a “dozen times”. The old repeat if often enough it’s gotta be true…
I am your age and I am from Florida. Grew up here. Hurricanes come and go. They destroy stuff because we’re overcrowded and 30-40-50 years ago they knocked down more trees than houses.
Earth’s climate and atmosphere changes all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
When The Scorpions come to town you have to be careful. Board your windows, hide yo’ kids hide yo’ wife.

When I was a senior at FSU (Class of ‘71) Florida had just reached 9 million in population.
We now have about 24 million and we are adding more every day. Too many people in an environmentally sensitive state.
Forests and wetlands have been destroyed so retirees can move to crappy little stucco over concrete houses and put a damn plastic pink flamingo in the front flowerbed, then start telling us how they did things better in NY.
STOP MOVING HERE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT