ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

You think a "stud" is needed to improve most positions??

That said more players are considering higher aav short term deals...
They got Stroman on one of those and have had good luck with that over the years. This year, they had in-house options at most positions that they wanted to get answers on. I’m ok with that for a year as the system continues to develop. They cannot go into 2023 with the same strategy.

The biggest failing of the Theo era was developing pitching and the Cubs have made amazing strides there with the pitch lab. They’re finding veteran/castoff relievers, helping them re-develop a pitch and having great success. They have more young arms up and coming than I’ve seen in a long time. If they can keep this going and evolve as the game evolves, that’s going to be powerful.

This is 2022 bud. When do the dodgers or Yankees take off multiple years? Get real

Good thing we weren't in the west or your list would be pretty small lol
I’ll also note here that you criticized them for ”not trying to field a decent team” and then set the bar at the Dodgers and Yankees.

I’ll also note here that you criticized them for ”not trying to field a decent team” and then set the bar at the Dodgers and Yankees.
Teams can only spend so much. You really think the cubs don't bring in enough cash to compete with either team??

Teams can only spend so much. You really think the cubs don't bring in enough cash to compete with either team??
You just keep moving the goalposts. The Dodgers were #1 in payroll in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021; #2 in 2020; #3 in 2018 and #4 in 2019. The Yankees were #1 in payroll in 2020; #2 in 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021; #3 in 2017 and #6 in 2018. If you’re setting the “trying to be decent” bar at the Dodgers & Yankees payrolls, very few teams in baseball are trying.

The Cubs were #11 in 2015, #5 in 2016, #8 in 2017, #4 in 2018, , #3 in 2019, #3 in 2020 and #13 in 2021. The 2015 numbers are low because so many of the key guys were ridiculously cheap. In 2021, the number is a bit skewed due to the trades. The Cubs ran a top 10 payroll 5 straight years and a top 5 payroll in 4 of those 5. The Ricketts have showed that they’ll spend, it’s just up to baseball ops to spend it efficiently To create wins.

You just keep moving the goalposts. The Dodgers were #1 in payroll in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2021; #2 in 2020; #3 in 2018 and #4 in 2019. The Yankees were #1 in payroll in 2020; #2 in 2015, 2016, 2019, 2021; #3 in 2017 and #6 in 2018. If you’re setting the “trying to be decent” bar at the Dodgers & Yankees payrolls, very few teams in baseball are trying.

The Cubs were #11 in 2015, #5 in 2016, #8 in 2017, #4 in 2018, , #3 in 2019, #3 in 2020 and #13 in 2021. The 2015 numbers are low because so many of the key guys were ridiculously cheap. In 2021, the number is a bit skewed due to the trades. The Cubs ran a top 10 payroll 5 straight years and a top 5 payroll in 4 of those 5. The Ricketts have showed that they’ll spend, it’s just up to baseball ops to spend it efficiently To create wins.
I'm saying every year the big boys use their fans money and try to at least put a decent team on the field, even if rebuilding, to entertain their fans. The cubs not even doing that is pathetic, plain and simple ...

Reactions: MitchLL
I'm saying every year the big boys use their fans money and try to at least put a decent team on the field, even if rebuilding, to entertain their fans. The cubs not even doing that is pathetic, plain and simple ...
I don’t get your argument. Every year since 2015 has been an above average payroll with a lot of top 10s and top 5s. The last time the Cubs were below the league average payroll was 2014.

You keep talking about trying to “at least put a decent team” out there and then you set that bar at a top 5 payroll, which the Cubs have had 4 of the last 6 seasons.

I don’t get your argument. Every year since 2015 has been an above average payroll with a lot of top 10s and top 5s. The last time the Cubs were below the league average payroll was 2014.

You keep talking about trying to “at least put a decent team” out there and then you set that bar at a top 5 payroll, which the Cubs have had 4 of the last 6 seasons.
Richett's should spend fans money to attempt to give them an entertaining team every year. Not sure what is so hard to comprehend....

Heyward went on the IL 10 days ago, and nobody gives a crap. Nobody is even talking about his return.

What really needs some attention right now, though, is the 40-man. I think the next 3 on the chopping block would be Heyward, Ortega and Hermosillo. Heyward is what he is and won’t be part of the next contender. Ortega and Hermosillo have both been disappointing and with Morel emerging, at least one of them could go.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
What really needs some attention right now, though, is the 40-man. I think the next 3 on the chopping block would be Heyward, Ortega and Hermosillo. Heyward is what he is and won’t be part of the next contender. Ortega and Hermosillo have both been disappointing and with Morel emerging, at least one of them could go.
Jed. is like a person holding onto a stock that has tanked. He's just praying against hope that it rebounds and turns into gold. If they cut Hermosillo or Ortega, yeah, they might lose them. But, that's what this year is for. To figure some things out. I like some stuff about Hermosillo, but he can't stay healthy. Ortega is not a spring chicken. If they lose him, it's okay.

Jed. is like a person holding onto a stock that has tanked. He's just praying against hope that it rebounds and turns into gold. If they cut Hermosillo or Ortega, yeah, they might lose them. But, that's what this year is for. To figure some things out. I like some stuff about Hermosillo, but he can't stay healthy. Ortega is not a spring chicken. If they lose him, it's okay.
We didn’t need 5 of those guys to be dudes. We needed answers on those guys. It’s ok if the answer turns out to be no. It doesn’t make you look bad to have taken a shot on a guy only to find out that he’s not a dude. It’s fine. What the FO should be wondering isn’t “will we lose Ortega/Hermosillo?”, they should be wondering how hard it would be to grab another guy that can give you as much or more as those guys from the farm or from someone else’s discard pile. The answer there is yes, you can.

I’d trade him for a player to be named later and cash
Not gonna happen. They need to just DFA him and either hire him within the organization or release him and let some team needing a veteran bench OF grab him at league minimum. Nobody at this point is going to take on the rest of that deal.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
Was I dreaming or were the Cubs planning on breaking away from the MLB package and offering Marquee nationwide as a stand alone app?

Marquee Announces Broadcast Schedule for 39 Upcoming Cubs Minor League Games​

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...dule-for-39-upcoming-cubs-minor-league-games/

These games might be more entertaining than some of the Cubs upcoming schedule. It reminds me of watching the progress of players like Baez and Bryant when they were coming through the farm system in 2012-14.
I saw that this morning. I want to catch some of the Myrtle Beach games, that team is stacked. For now, anyway. There is going to be a lot of push in the organization. And, those guys are 19-20 years old. I suppose it does't hurt to keep them on low A this season, but several of them are going to be ready for another challenge this year.

At this point, the Cubs are a mediocre mid level AAA team.

Why people go to Wrigley to watch them play is a mystery that warrants a 60 minutes investigation.

Reactions: QChawks
I like the move, but what else is going on? Is this purely for the double header tomorrow? They have Martin on bereavement, too. Heyward could come off IL, so what does this mean for him?

That entire bunt play was like Little League all around. Sox guy running on the inside combined with some terrible Cub defense. Comical.

Cubs are going to wipe out their bullpen the day before a doubleheader.

Makes sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT