ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

I heard Suzuki in LF, Happ in CF, Heyward in RF. I think Givens will get most of the save opportunities.

I heard Suzuki in LF, Happ in CF, Heyward in RF. I think Givens will get most of the save opportunities.
I don’t think Heyward will play the ego card. He’s not been the offensive player anyone hoped he’d be, but I do genuinely think he wants to win. If the best thing for the team is to play Suzuki in RF, I don’t think he’ll make a spectacle of himself.

Reactions: mstp1992
I don’t think Heyward will play the ego card. He’s not been the offensive player anyone hoped he’d be, but I do genuinely think he wants to win. If the best thing for the team is to play Suzuki in RF, I don’t think he’ll make a spectacle of himself.
I don’t disagree but just sharing what one of the best guys said how he sees this playing out.

The Correa signing has me shaking my head wondering wtf the Cubs are doing. 3 @ $105m isn't terrible, not an albatross type contract. So why aren't the Cubs in on any of these? We're signing bargain barrel guys by the bushel and hoping a couple of them have good years just so we can flip them for more prospects? Is that the plan?

The Correa signing has me shaking my head wondering wtf the Cubs are doing. 3 @ $105m isn't terrible, not an albatross type contract. So why aren't the Cubs in on any of these? We're signing bargain barrel guys by the bushel and hoping a couple of them have good years just so we can flip them for more prospects? Is that the plan?
If it is, it’s not like it didn’t work the first time. Just relax and see how it unfolds, we have trade capital that teams desire in Contreras and Hendricks

If it is, it’s not like it didn’t work the first time. Just relax and see how it unfolds, we have trade capital that teams desire in Contreras and Hendricks
My wife (no pic) was just asking me last night does Bryant still play for the Cubs? No. Javy? No. This guy? That guy? No. No. No. She finally got one right with Contreras then commented how she doesn't know any of these players anymore. She was asking because she is Cubs shirt shopping today and wanted to know the right name to get on the T for our 5 yr old.

Reactions: QChawks
There’s no way Correa didn’t get bigger offers in terms of both years and total value. The 3 year deal with 2 opt-outs tells me Correa wasn’t getting the deal he wanted, so rather than settle, he’d go short deal/high AAV and get the opt-outs. I could see the opt-outs being a deal-breaker for the Cubs - even if they compete this year, they’d expect to be better in 2023 and 2024, so I could see Jed not dumping $30M on a guy just to have him leave when the team is getting good. Hard to say…..but there’s no way the top FA SS on the market talked with as many teams as reported and nobody was willing to go more than 3 years or $105M total value.

Reactions: MitchLL
The plan is, and I’m paraphrasing, that they want to build with an eye on the future but still try to compete now. I’d prefer they either go in or stay out.

Correa essentially signed a one year deal. If he has a stellar season he’s going to bail on the Twins. If he falters they are stuck with him for two more years.
I’m okay with the Cubs passing on that kind of offer, especially since the Twins will lose a draft pick.

Good deal on Smyly. BN was rumoring it yesterday.
This is an in general comment, I think the Cubs and every well run team is terrified about injuries this season. That’s above the normal level of concern. No controlled workouts during the lockout, and the short ramp up to the season.

Good deal on Smyly. BN was rumoring it yesterday.
This is an in general comment, I think the Cubs and every well run team is terrified about injuries this season. That’s above the normal level of concern. No controlled workouts during the lockout, and the short ramp up to the season.
Injuries specifically to pitchers or in general?

I could see pitchers more susceptible.

Yes, they were talking about that today on the radio. GMs are worried how many healthy pitchers teams will have come August.

That said, this isn’t the 50s anymore when players worked second jobs in the off-season. Players now work out and train all off-season. Andrew Vaughn was talking today about all of the places guys met this winter to work on hitting. In short, guys come in better shape than ever and starters are going shorter than ever.

My wife (no pic) was just asking me last night does Bryant still play for the Cubs? No. Javy? No. This guy? That guy? No. No. No. She finally got one right with Contreras then commented how she doesn't know any of these players anymore. She was asking because she is Cubs shirt shopping today and wanted to know the right name to get on the T for our 5 yr old.
The safest thing is to get him a Ross jersey.

Cubs had him in 2019 or 2020, can’t remember, while he was rehabbing, then cut him over $$$ before he came back. Not a bad grab for this season. I like the way they’re piling up arms, even if not top-shelf arms. The Cubs have shown the ability to build solid bullpens on the fly over the last 10 years.

Cubs had him in 2019 or 2020, can’t remember, while he was rehabbing, then cut him over $$$ before he came back. Not a bad grab for this season. I like the way they’re piling up arms, even if not top-shelf arms. The Cubs have shown the ability to build solid bullpens on the fly over the last 10 years.

2018. They traded him to Texas as a way of getting money to pay cole hamels

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I'd rather they signed freeman. He prolly doesn't wanna play for this shit show though. Time for fans to hit the richetts in their pocket book!!

Correa essentially signed a one year deal. If he has a stellar season he’s going to bail on the Twins. If he falters they are stuck with him for two more years.
I’m okay with the Cubs passing on that kind of offer, especially since the Twins will lose a draft pick.
Yep not a fan of opt out. All risk and little reward!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT