ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

Is this guy legit or are we looking at Fukudome 2.0?
I would guess he's never seen pitching like he's gonna see in MLB.

Then again, as a NYY fan, I'm not thrilled with the Rizzo signing.

We will know soon enough whether either was worth it.

I hope he is good, but up to this point it looks a lot like the Cubs realize they have zero players that are going to get people to want to pay top dollar to go see them. I hope I am wrong, but this looks like "Let's do enough to make it not completely obvious that we aren't even trying to win, but let's not really try". The thing is, they could stumble their way into the playoffs because the NL Central is so awful and a million teams get into the playoffs now. But does anyone seriously think they are trying to build a team that can compete for a World Series shot?

Reactions: MitchLL
I hope he is good, but up to this point it looks a lot like the Cubs realize they have zero players that are going to get people to want to pay top dollar to go see them. I hope I am wrong, but this looks like "Let's do enough to make it not completely obvious that we aren't even trying to win, but let's not really try". The thing is, they could stumble their way into the playoffs because the NL Central is so awful and a million teams get into the playoffs now. But does anyone seriously think they are trying to build a team that can compete for a World Series shot?
I certainly don't. Jed Hoyer's moves thus far all suck.

Reactions: MitchLL
I certainly don't. Jed Hoyer's moves thus far all suck.
Well, I won't say they suck...yet. Mainly because I don't know WTF any of these guys are. Maybe he knows something I don't. So, I'll give these guys a chance to play but I can't say any of them have me really excited about the season.

We'll see. I really don't think Hoyer wants the Cubs to be successful this season. He's too much of a narcissistic jackass.
Listen, I didn’t understand your anger when we traded the core. Learn a lesson from my second favorite team, the Royals. They held on too long and lost Cain, Hosmer, etc in free agency. Was I happy with the return we got? No, but I think it’s better than draft picks. The pitching staff looks better this year, let’s see what Madrigal and Schwindel can do on the right side of the infield. We have a chance to suck, but I feel like we have a better chance of winning the division than. Finishing bottom 2 in it

Listen, I didn’t understand your anger when we traded the core. Learn a lesson from my second favorite team, the Royals. They held on too long and lost Cain, Hosmer, etc in free agency. Was I happy with the return we got? No, but I think it’s better than draft picks. The pitching staff looks better this year, let’s see what Madrigal and Schwindel can do on the right side of the infield. We have a chance to suck, but I feel like we have a better chance of winning the division than. Finishing bottom 2 in it
I’m not particularly sanguine about their prospects this season.

Do the Cubs have a LH power bat in the lineup? I don't have much confidence in Happ, plus he may be hurt again.

People who think that all of Jed Hoyer's moves have sucked clearly do not understand how you build a consistent winner in MLB. I'm sure these same people were irate with Theo's trades from 2012-2014 where established big leaguers were traded for prospects.

Will these moves pay off in the long run? We don't know, but there is zero downside to any of the moves.

Industry consensus is that they did extremely well in the Bryant trade (Caleb Killian is terrific), and that they fleeced the Mets for 2 months of Javy Baez. The Cubs got an established big league starter (Madrigal) under team control for 5 years in exchange for Kimbrel.

The Rizzo return was light, but that's because he is not considered a very valuable asset (evidenced by his $32M/2 year deal).

The bottom line is that the Cubs were going to have to pay the piper due to Theo Epstein's inability to sustain success, and the continued employment of Jason McLeod. There is a reason that Jason McLeod went from top GM candidate to having to settle for a "Special Assistant" job with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Theo won the Cubs the long-awaited ring (for which we are forever grateful), but he also left the organization in shambles.

I personally hope that the Cubs tank in 2022 and go all-in for 2023 and beyond.

Is this guy legit or are we looking at Fukudome 2.0?
More power. He will need adjustments, but hopefully the analysis was done. And, I can’t worry about the past for each decision. He does have a lot more loft to his swing.
Does this mean the end of Heyward in Chicago? Suzuki is a plus defender, and is a natural in RF.

People who think that all of Jed Hoyer's moves have sucked clearly do not understand how you build a consistent winner in MLB. I'm sure these same people were irate with Theo's trades from 2012-2014 where established big leaguers were traded for prospects.

Will these moves pay off in the long run? We don't know, but there is zero downside to any of the moves.

Industry consensus is that they did extremely well in the Bryant trade (Caleb Killian is terrific), and that they fleeced the Mets for 2 months of Javy Baez. The Cubs got an established big league starter (Madrigal) under team control for 5 years in exchange for Kimbrel.

The Rizzo return was light, but that's because he is not considered a very valuable asset (evidenced by his $32M/2 year deal).

The bottom line is that the Cubs were going to have to pay the piper due to Theo Epstein's inability to sustain success, and the continued employment of Jason McLeod. There is a reason that Jason McLeod went from top GM candidate to having to settle for a "Special Assistant" job with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Theo won the Cubs the long-awaited ring (for which we are forever grateful), but he also left the organization in shambles.

Hoyer needs to be making moves to have the Cubs in the playoffs THIS year and beyond. He was as much of a reason for the Cubs being in shambles right now.

No true Cubs fan should EVER hope for the Cubs to tank. I want them to be winners each and every season, and there’s no reason to not expect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbanflfactory
Jed Hoyer was right again.

As dgordo alluded to, Rizzo was offered $70M over 5 years to stay in Chicago.

He bet on himself and lost (though the Yankees will be better than the Cubs this season).

Following the trade deadline selloff, Jed said that the offers that they made to Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez would stack up very well on the open market. So far, he looks prophetic.

Baez also signed for much less than the 7/180 extension the cubs offered. its almost like jed knew what he was doing. Im far more optimistic about the cubs future at this point than i was in theo's first year.

I would guess he's never seen pitching like he's gonna see in MLB.

Then again, as a NYY fan, I'm not thrilled with the Rizzo signing.

We will know soon enough whether either was worth it.
You're a NYY troll dbag in yet another cubs thread.... Beat it

I think Jed must have banged 1992's girl with how obsessed he is with him. To cry nonstop about Jed during his first season without ever mentioning Theo or the Ricketts role in where the Cubs are just gives you zero credibility whatsoever. The Cubs will be good again at some point in the not real distant future and 92 will deserve all the shit he gets when it happens. I'm glad the spoiled, cocky, underachieving since 17 core is gone. Maddon turned them into pampered candy asses

Cubs Announce Schedule Changes to Make Up the “Lost” Cardinals and Reds Series​

Today, Major League Baseball announced how precisely it will amend the schedule to relocate the two series that were otherwise lost to the lockout.

For the Cubs, the two-gamer against the Cardinals moves to scheduled doubleheaders at Wrigley Field on June 4 and August 23. The opening series against the Reds in Cincinnati goes to the end of the schedule, October 3-5.

That means the Cubs will be hosting the Reds for three and then immediately going to Cincinnati to play three. In other words, they finish the season with six straight against the Reds, who are currently tearing down and figure to tear even further down at the Trade Deadline. Boy wouldn’t it be nice if those six games mattered to the Cubs by the end of the season? And if we looked at it like a gift from the scheduling gods?

Here’s hoping.

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...o-make-up-the-lost-cardinals-and-reds-series/

I think Jed must have banged 1992's girl with how obsessed he is with him. To cry nonstop about Jed during his first season without ever mentioning Theo or the Ricketts role in where the Cubs are just gives you zero credibility whatsoever. The Cubs will be good again at some point in the not real distant future and 92 will deserve all the shit he gets when it happens. I'm glad the spoiled, cocky, underachieving since 17 core is gone. Maddon turned them into pampered candy asses
No, I just don’t like him as a person. I find him to be spiteful and petty.

I wanted the Cubs to be good last season and this season, and every season. I EXPECT them to be good every season. I EXPECT management to strive to have a successful Cubs team every season, not just ‘sometime in the future.’

If they’re competing for a NL championship this year then I’ll certainly grant Hoyer the praise he would deserve. If they are .500 or worse (short of catastrophic injuries to major players) then he deserves nothing but crap. He was given last season to rebuild. Now it’s time to see the results of his efforts.

• Haha
Reactions: Radar3454
No, I just don’t like him as a person. I find him to be spiteful and petty.

I wanted the Cubs to be good last season and this season, and every season. I EXPECT them to be good every season. I EXPECT management to strive to have a successful Cubs team every season, not just ‘sometime in the future.’

If they’re competing for a NL championship this year then I’ll certainly grant Hoyer the praise he would deserve. If they are .500 or worse (short of catastrophic injuries to major players) then he deserves nothing but crap. He was given last season to rebuild. Now it’s time to see the results of his efforts.

imo he was correct to let us know he offered Bryant rizzo and javy over market extensions

Last year at this time I heard that Hoyer had a plan (and it wasn’t trading everyone away at the deadline), and this year I hear the makings of a plan, but I really don’t understand it. I know they will add/trade for more guys but I’m underwhelmed by the way this team is being put together.

Last year at this time I heard that Hoyer had a plan (and it wasn’t trading everyone away at the deadline), and this year I hear the makings of a plan, but I really don’t understand it. I know they will add/trade for more guys but I’m underwhelmed by the way this team is being put together.
And every single guy that joined the MLB roster after the fire sale last July now has been thoroughly scouted and will see modifications on how they're pitched to.

Cub fans better be prepared to be disappointed on all those guys like Schwindel and Wisdom that tore it up late last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT