ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

It sounds like Wisdom is on his way to Chicago. So, someone gets dropped tomorrow.

I was reading the post game wrap up on BCB and they mentioned that the I-Cubs were in Des Moines last night, and the call came in very late to get Brewer and Wesneski to Phoenix. Marty Peavy was called to let the players know, but he couldn't get ahold of Wesneski. He must be roommates with Matt Mervis, because Peavy had to call Mervis to knock on Wesneski's door to wake him up to receive the news around 01:00. Wesneski caught a 4 am flight to Chicago, then flew to Phoenix arriving. at the ballpark 90 minutes before first pitch.
What seemed strange to me was flying through Chicago. American had a direct DSM to PHX flight early morning that gets to Phoenix at about 8.

Reactions: lucas80
This, and they should have anticipated the need and had someone on standby.
I get that a private jet isn’t the standard…..but Craig was saying post-midnight Central that they were still debating whether to call someone up. Tom should call someone with a private jet if he doesn’t have his own, to make this happen.

It sounds like Wisdom is on his way to Chicago. So, someone gets dropped tomorrow.
Mastro or Madrigal are the only 2 that make any sense. It’s not going to be Happ, Belli, Morel, Dansby, Hoerner, Busch. Amaya, Gomes. Cooper and Tauchman would require DFA/cutting ties with the player. That leaves Canario, Mastro, Madrigal. Canario would be the 4th OF, so that should lock him in. I’d argue that Madrigal should go before Mastro, but it’s definitely one of trhe two.

4 games at home against the Marlins (4-15) is just what the doctor ordered

Fish are 25th in batting and 27th in pitching

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

• Love
Reactions: TheCainer
4 games at home against the Marlins (4-15) is just what the doctor ordered

Fish are 25th in batting and 27th in pitching

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF
LOL, and this is where we historically shit the bed. I remember last season playing the good teams tough and winning games only to lose to the bottom feeders. And it's freaking Miami. That franchise has ripped our guts out enough over the years, 2003 & 2020. Need I remind you they also own the all-time regular season record over us at 79-71.

Bury these F'ers and sweep the series. That's what contenders do.

LOL, and this is where we historically shit the bed. I remember last season playing the good teams tough and winning games only to lose to the bottom feeders. And it's freaking Miami. That franchise has ripped our guts out enough over the years, 2003 & 2020. Need I remind you they also own the all-time regular season record over us at 79-71.

Bury these F'ers and sweep the series. That's what contenders do.
We'll probably go 1-3 in this series. :(

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Taillon confirmed starting tonight. I wonder who’s going to AAA. TBH, I hope it’s Alzolay. Word is Brown and Assad are staying on the roster, and Thompson & Wes have earned their spots, IMO.

Edit - Hendricks going on the IL is another possibility

Last edited:
Taillon confirmed starting tonight. I wonder who’s going to AAA. TBH, I hope it’s Alzolay. Word is Brown and Assad are staying on the roster, and Thompson & Wes have earned their spots, IMO.

Supposedly MLB is getting aggressive about teams being forced to document an actual injury when putting a player on IL. Sucking and having "muscle tightness", is out. Again, supposedly.
And, edit, JT tonight with cold slippery conditions makes me clutch at my chest.

Wesneski may go back down because 1) he’s probably down for 3 days after throwing that long yesterday and 2) Counsell seems really interested in having him stretched out as a starter option.

I'm less concerned about which pitchers goes down versus who Wisdom bumps off the roster.

Not to overthink this roster move, but there could be a signal in this move as to how much input Counsel has, and how in Jed is to win this year. The easiest thing to do is move Canario back down and cobble together some OF starts from Wisdom, Garrett, and MM, and rely on Tauchmann a little more.

The team should be allowed a 27th active player for Saturday, so that may allow them to postpone some difficult decisions until Sunday.

The team should be allowed a 27th active player for Saturday, so that may allow them to postpone some difficult decisions until Sunday.
They made the announcement on the changes before the game was postponed. My guess is Wesneski stays in Chicago, and is the 27th man on Saturday. That would be 3 days of rest, so he'd be good for a few innings if needed.

I'm sorry but that's weak

you are a part-time player than needs to produce when called upon, if aren't then someone else is going to get a chance too
That’s the point of the tweet. Getting very few starts and very little regular work and then you’re only asked to go hit randomly against elite relievers….don’t care who you are, very few guys are going to succeed in that situation. That’s my one quibble with Counsell so far - I like Mastrobuoni, but even if he’s dumped in AAA or released, every one of the 13 position players on the roster needs to be starting 1-2 times per week in order to get regular work, keep a rhythm, etc. Wisdom is now up and Mastro is down. If this means that Wisdom or Canario or Madrigal is only going to get random ABs against elite relievers, they won’t succeed either.

They made the announcement on the changes before the game was postponed. My guess is Wesneski stays in Chicago, and is the 27th man on Saturday. That would be 3 days of rest, so he'd be good for a few innings if needed.
Counsell also still likes Wes as a starter. Obviously the decision to have him as 27th man would 100% be tied to whether he’s actually going to be available that day.

Wisdom in RF is interesting for first game back. I know he’s played a little OF but I didn’t pay attention if he played there while rehabbing. Wouldn’t mind seeing Canario get full time ABs back in AAA, so hopefully it works out. IMO, Canario will be a trade chip this year for bullpen help. Their OF is blocked too long for him to be a full time starter for the foreseeable future, unless more injuries of course.

Wisdom in RF is interesting for first game back. I know he’s played a little OF but I didn’t pay attention if he played there while rehabbing. Wouldn’t mind seeing Canario get full time ABs back in AAA, so hopefully it works out. IMO, Canario will be a trade chip this year for bullpen help. Their OF is blocked too long for him to be a full time starter for the foreseeable future, unless more injuries of course.
Suzuki isn’t coming back anytime soon.

Keegan Thompson, Hayden Wesneski and Ben Brown are the backbone of the Cubs. Not Happ and Suzuki. I loved that Counsell benched Happ today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT